Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Post Game Handshake

I was fortunate to get out and see 9 games this season in 5 different stadiums. In the first 5 games both teams did the “social distance” hand shake (10 yards apart) after the game. In 3 of the last 4, the winning team went out for the handshake and the losing team did not. My first inclination is to call this poor sportsmanship and question the leadership of these teams, but maybe it’s an anomaly? What’s the current post game etiquette?

On 10/18/2020 at 8:34 PM, Broadway Joe said:

I was fortunate to get out and see 9 games this season in 5 different stadiums. In the first 5 games both teams did the “social distance” hand shake (10 yards apart) after the game. In 3 of the last 4, the winning team went out for the handshake and the losing team did not. My first inclination is to call this poor sportsmanship and question the leadership of these teams, but maybe it’s an anomaly? What’s the current post game etiquette?

In the 9 games I’ve been to both teams basically walked towards each other from the sidelines and stop 10-20 yards from one another and acknowledge each other.  No hand shakes.  Kindve odd but If it makes everyone feel better and they can keep playing... ok

3 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

In Marion County and around the MIC, I've seen only the teams wave at each other.

In most of our games the player on the field as the clock expires are shaking hands before they go to their hash and wave at the opposing team. We did have one game that is a fairly heated rival both teams headed directly to their respective locker rooms on either end of the stadium. I'm assuming there was an agreement by coaches prior to the game to do this.

It seems counter intuitive to be able to block and tackle each other and lend a hand to help each other up on the field, but not shake hands. I can see if you only want to allow the players who have played in the game to shake hands and the others do the wave. In todays world, I'll just leave it at that and thankful teams can still play. Really sucks to see our undefeated Sectional rival have to bow out because of COVID.

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

It seems counter intuitive to be able to block and tackle each other and lend a hand to help each other up on the field, but not shake hands. I can see if you only want to allow the players who have played in the game to shake hands and the others do the wave. In todays world, I'll just leave it at that and thankful teams can still play. Really sucks to see our undefeated Sectional rival have to bow out because of COVID.

I've always seen it as an easy way to reduce risk even just a little bit. You can't get away from players contacting each other during the play, but you can get away from players contacting each other after the game. We wear masks on the field before and after the game and during halftime but take them off during the game. It's not a huge difference, but it's an easy way to control when we can reduce exposure (never eliminate).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

It doesn't happen more often because there is far more COMMON SENSE and good people in this sport than the opposite, HOWEVER, the other, makes all the news and headlines.

THIS 100%!

47 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

It doesn't happen more often because there is far more COMMON SENSE and good people in this sport than the opposite, HOWEVER, the other, makes all the news and headlines.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about common sense, it’s that it’s not all that common. 😉

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Bobref said:

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about common sense, it’s that it’s not all that common. 😉

"You can't live together, you can't live alone
Considering the weather, oh my how you've grown
From the men in the factories to the wild kangaroo
Like those birds of a feather, they're gathering together
And feeling exactly like you"

19 hours ago, Bobref said:

The handshake line serves no useful purpose. It has needed to go for quite awhile. I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often.

https://youtu.be/Xh6Jw7PosX4

https://youtu.be/Xh6Jw7PosX4

I could not disagree with your statement any more.  The post-game handshake is a way to show respect to someone you have been battling and leave it on the field.  It's such a teachable moment for the these young people.  It is a way for us to teach humbleness in victory and fortitude in defeat.  It takes character to do your best, fall short and congratulate your opponent with dignity and grace, even when you are disappointed and may not feel like it.  It is imperative that we don't keep skating around things simply because they're difficult.  After all, aren't the difficult times the times that teach the best life lessons?  Represent yourself, your family, your community, your school, and your coaching staff with dignity.  Just because a few idiots can't control themselves doesn't mean we take this out of the game, and all games.  If we are truly getting these young people ready for real life, it is so important that we teach them self-control and to learn through tough experiences.  I know I'm old-school and I'm good with that.  We must guide the person first, and the athlete second.  Just one man's humble opinion.  I LOVE THIS GAME!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hornetcoach said:

I could not disagree with your statement any more.  The post-game handshake is a way to show respect to someone you have been battling and leave it on the field.  It's such a teachable moment for the these young people.  It is a way for us to teach humbleness in victory and fortitude in defeat.  It takes character to do your best, fall short and congratulate your opponent with dignity and grace, even when you are disappointed and may not feel like it.  It is imperative that we don't keep skating around things simply because they're difficult.  After all, aren't the difficult times the times that teach the best life lessons?  Represent yourself, your family, your community, your school, and your coaching staff with dignity.  Just because a few idiots can't control themselves doesn't mean we take this out of the game, and all games.  If we are truly getting these young people ready for real life, it is so important that we teach them self-control and to learn through tough experiences.  I know I'm old-school and I'm good with that.  We must guide the person first, and the athlete second.  Just one man's humble opinion.  I LOVE THIS GAME!

I love the game ,too. But if you haven’t shown your opponent respect and good sportsmanship through 48 min. of battle, a compulsory ritualized handshake isn’t going to do it. No one is more pro-sportsmanship than I. But this is fake sportsmanship. If somebody wants to go across the field and congratulate an opponent, good for him. If he doesn’t, no reason he should be forced to.

Edited by Bobref

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I love the game ,too. But if you haven’t shown your opponent respect and good sportsmanship through 48 min. of battle, a compulsory ritualized handshake isn’t going to do it. No one is more pro-sportsmanship than I. But this is fake sportsmanship. If somebody rants to go across the field and congratulate an opponent, good for him. If he doesn’t, no reason he should be forced to.

It is not the end all be all show of sportsmanship, simply an extension of it.  I believe teaching and coaching sportsmanship and respect is one of, if not the, most important lessons we teach as coaches.  If we (they) are not doing that, it is a disservice to the young people they are coaching.  This doesn't sound like a handshake problem, this sounds like a coaching problem to me.  I think we both believe that teaching sportsmanship, as well as respect and accountability, should be non-negotiable in coaching.  Unfortunately, not everyone sees it that way.  

47 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

By my count - there's at least 8 'coaches' for that Pee Wee team in red.  That's the start of the problem right there LOL.

QB coach, OLine coach, DLine coach, secondary coach, linebackers coach, backs coach, receivers coach, and a head coach ... seems about right ... assuming that a couple of those guys are doing double-duty for special teams. 😃

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Hornetcoach said:

It is not the end all be all show of sportsmanship, simply an extension of it.  I believe teaching and coaching sportsmanship and respect is one of, if not the, most important lessons we teach as coaches.  If we (they) are not doing that, it is a disservice to the young people they are coaching.  This doesn't sound like a handshake problem, this sounds like a coaching problem to me.  I think we both believe that teaching sportsmanship, as well as respect and accountability, should be non-negotiable in coaching.  Unfortunately, not everyone sees it that way.  

We're in complete agreement on everything except whether a compulsory handshake has anything to do with sportsmanship. I'm not against the handshake tradition because it causes trouble ... although it sometimes does. Kids are going to fight sometimes when emotions get high, that's just the reality of it. I'm against forcing people to shake hands with the opponent, because forcing someone to do it cheapens the value of that handshake.  As @Muda69 says in his posts: “No action can be virtuous unless it is freely chosen.” 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, foxbat said:

QB coach, OLine coach, DLine coach, secondary coach, linebackers coach, backs coach, receivers coach, and a head coach ... seems about right ... assuming that a couple of those guys are doing double-duty for special teams. 😃

😂

As a shocker to no one, I’ve seen a fight break out on the sideline amongst members of a 7-8 coach peewee staff. Like a scene straight from Friday Night Tykes.

13 hours ago, Bobref said:

We're in complete agreement on everything except whether a compulsory handshake has anything to do with sportsmanship. I'm not against the handshake tradition because it causes trouble ... although it sometimes does. Kids are going to fight sometimes when emotions get high, that's just the reality of it. I'm against forcing people to shake hands with the opponent, because forcing someone to do it cheapens the value of that handshake.  As @Muda69 says in his posts: “No action can be virtuous unless it is freely chosen.” 

So, you do not force your children to say "please and thank you"?  You force them until they start doing it for themselves.  Kids only know what they're taught, and obviously some of them aren't being taught at home, so it is our job as coaches to teach and instill such character traits.  I realize there is a difference between little kids and high school students, however, they are still impressionable young people and need guidance and modeling how to do things the right way, sometimes we're the only positive lessons they get all day.

Edited by Hornetcoach
  • Thanks 1