Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Postseason cancellations

38 minutes ago, WWFan said:

RIP to this thread. Locked in 48 hrs.

Probably best.  Whether we hear about it here or a day later doesn’t matter.  Threads like this take the focus away from the game of football and puts focus on the GAME of covid. I’m out... and am sorry for contributing to this nonsense and won’t in the future.

1 minute ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Yes 

When it's a reputable news source 

Do you want this one too ? 

I'll believe it when I see it on the news. Don't know who Blitz is. Kyle Neddenriep from IndyStar saying "Ugh" signifies legitimacy. Got it.

1 minute ago, gonzoron said:

I'll believe it when I see it on the news. Don't know who Blitz is. Kyle Neddenriep from IndyStar saying "Ugh" signifies legitimacy. Got it.

Familiarize yourself with Mr Blitz.  Has been a leader of Ft wayne HS sports for many years. 

I could of broke the news this afternoon when one of our coaches father in law who is an official got the call.   But waited.  

Bottom line.   It SUCKS.  For EVERYONE 

We just had to ask 18 players not to continue because one test positive we are done too just like our Volleyball team 

Small schools like Us like SOUTHWOOD do not have the luxury to split squads and create internal bubbles.  Just not feasible.  

My heart BREAKS for all those kids and for any kids coaches and communities who are faced with this reality.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Familiarize yourself with Mr Blitz.  Has been a leader of Ft wayne HS sports for many years. 

I could of broke the news this afternoon when one of our coaches father in law who is an official got the call.   But waited.  

Bottom line.   It SUCKS.  For EVERYONE 

We just had to ask 18 players not to continue because one test positive we are done too just like our Volleyball team 

Small schools like Us like SOUTHWOOD do not have the luxury to split squads and create internal bubbles.  Just not feasible.  

My heart BREAKS for all those kids and for any kids coaches and communities who are faced with this reality.   

Does this mean you had to end season?

9 hours ago, Fballfan15 said:

Question. No players tested positive so why couldn’t they just quarantine the ones that were involved with the contact tracing? Unless the majority of the team was which I heard is not the case. 

You know the answer to this question.  Fear / PR > Rational thought / common sense

• Like 1

With the schools that have to forfeit due to COVID outbreaks could we see schools win sectional, regional, semi-state, and state titles that in a normal year wouldn't have a chance?  I am referring to schools with 0, 1, or 2 wins out of the games that they actually played.  Could see a school that has won 1 or 2 games over 3 or 4 years win one of these titles? 

18 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Gary West advances:   

East Chicago Central only has been removed, they were set to play Gary West 

I heard that EC didnt have many players, coach. Their season was so much in question in August. I heard they had low numbers,   If they lost a couple. they were done.

Southwood wow.   They beat some good 3As....

You are right...1As and 2As are really vulnerable. Big schools can take a hit. Small ones just cant sit a dozen players and go on..   You probably cant have contact drills in practice, can you?

1 hour ago, Coach Murray said:

Does this mean you had to end season?

no:   We elimintated players who were lowe level players to mitigate the risk.    We are rolling into the tournament with 28 players instead of the 46 we had on our roster

42 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I heard that EC didnt have many players, coach. Their season was so much in question in August. I heard they had low numbers,   If they lost a couple. they were done.

Southwood wow.   They beat some good 3As....

You are right...1As and 2As are really vulnerable. Big schools can take a hit. Small ones just cant sit a dozen players and go on..   You probably cant have contact drills in practice, can you?

Yes, we have contact drills in practice,  at the end of every practice, we disinfect all the players shoulders pads and helmets, they have to take home their practice jersey and wash it and bring it back the next day.  We spray and santize all our equipment we use such as hand shields, bags, blocking sled bags, et. al. every practice. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Indiansreloaded said:

With the schools that have to forfeit due to COVID outbreaks could we see schools win sectional, regional, semi-state, and state titles that in a normal year wouldn't have a chance?  I am referring to schools with 0, 1, or 2 wins out of the games that they actually played.  Could see a school that has won 1 or 2 games over 3 or 4 years win one of these titles? 

It's almost never a COVID "outbreak"...it's one positive case contact tracing out 15-30 kids who will never get the disease.

• Like 2