Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cancel Tournament Now - End Season and Count Your Blessings

Guest DT

3 hours ago, Gipper said:

We made it through the season, good for us, but why risk anything further?

Because its literally zero risk to the players?  Because there's been zero proof of ANYONE catching the sniffles from playing football in 2020?  Maybe that's why. 

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

It’s not just the players.  Coaches, support staff, and fans are far from immune.  Actually they’re at higher risk.

Nor do I.  

Higher risk of what?  Do some of you not understand how incredibly tiny the risk of any serious repercussions are from this nonsense?  Jesus, players and coaches are at much higher risk of getting t-boned at a stoplight driving home from practice then this virus bs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disdain 1
  • Kill me now 1

6 hours ago, DT said:

GS does not belong in the SIAC.  They are a small country school.  The SIAC is the big school conference for that part of the state.  GS has a massively inflated view of itself, which emanates from the very top of the program

Of the 10 members of the SIAC there are 3 that have a smaller enrollment than Gibson Southern. Another school only has 52 more students.

Cancellation of the tournament is not an option. I suspect the financial consequences to the IHSAA from the cancellation of the tournament, coupled with no boys’ b-ball tourney last Spring, would be devastating. The economic reality is as much a factor in the decision-making process as any health concern, if not more so.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If nothing else, I want this tournament played out of shameless selfishness.  I want Bishop Chatard out of 3A.  I am tired of that nonsense.  It is likely that they will dominate 4A just as 3A....they certainly would have won 4A last year.

I know...no excuses, you have to find a way to win until the rules are changed.....but at least we can have them exit 3A.

It does look like whoever comes out of our 32 will have the privilege of getting destroyed by Chatard though.  I'm not totally discounting Lawerenceburg and Danville against 32....I just believe their are 2 teams in 32 that could likely have that opportunity.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Cancellation of the tournament is not an option. I suspect the financial consequences to the IHSAA from the cancellation of the tournament, coupled with no boys’ b-ball tourney last Spring, would be devastating. The economic reality is as much a factor in the decision-making process as any health concern, if not more so.

That's preposterous.  Of course it's an option

If the governor decided the tournament creates too much of a health risk, he could and would shut it down.  

Tournament gate receipts are infinitesimal relative to the negative economic impact of further Covid infestation

The Ihsaa is not a for profit organization and is not measured by an annual P&L statement

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Exactly. When we made the decision to go with the season, we made the decision to go with the tournament....

We may lose a dozen teams along the way but we'll have 6 champs...

..and money to keep the IHSAA going does matter.    Each week, obviously, half as many teams will still be playing....

We're going all the way.......

• Confused 2

It would be ridiculous to not play....just as it would be ridiculous to not play basketball.  By this logic we should never have had any sporting events or gatherings or ever have any again.  Live your life.  If you don't want to go out, limit that.  Nobody is forcing a child to play a sport and nobody is being forced to go watch.  If you want to remain in the basement, by all means do so, but don't ruin everyone else's life when you have a 99.94% chance of not dying.  If this were the black plague, it would be a different discussion.  Do the math.  

Can we move on to the tournament now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

Can we move on to the tournament now?

Yes, with the aforementioned asterisk (*) next to each 2020 class champion if that class had one or more schools drop out of the tournament due to covid-19.  

Edited by Muda69

Life is all about making choices.   We make bad ones, we make good ones, we make questionable ones throughout out lifetimes.   The thing is, can YOU live with the choices you make?  It seems to me that people who have regrets are the ones that usually follow a bad or questionable choice.  We aren't perfect beings.  We won't make the right choice every time.   But how much research, how much education have you given yourself concerning the matter?  Are you just basing the decision on "just because"?   Or are you just going with the masses?  Education.  It goes a long way.  It never stops even after graduation.

1 hour ago, DT said:

That's preposterous.  Of course it's an option

If the governor decided the tournament creates too much of a health risk, he could and would shut it down.  

Tournament gate receipts are infinitesimal relative to the negative economic impact of further Covid infestation

The Ihsaa is not a for profit organization and is not measured by an annual P&L statement

I was speaking of the possibility of the IHSAA canceling the tournament, not civil authorities.

Without tournament money, they can’t keep the doors open and the lights on at 9150 N. Meridian ... unless there’s an infusion of cash from the members. How do you think that would go over?

18 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I was speaking of the possibility of the IHSAA canceling the tournament, not civil authorities.

Without tournament money, they can’t keep the doors open and the lights on at 9150 N. Meridian ... unless there’s an infusion of cash from the members. How do you think that would go over?

Therer is always a bailout if government deems it a good investment in tax dollars.

I doubt the state would allow the IHSAA to fail due to economic calamity caused by COVID.  The state will fund any short term gaps as needed and until the IHSAA can get back on its feet under normal circumstances.

IHSAA will not worry about anything, but the money and that is why they won't cancel. IMO IHSAA dropped the ball when they did not mandate across the board that this is what is going to happen when a team has positive traces. Too many schools are doing too many different things.

Example: Volleyball team had principal with Covid, his daughter who lives with him and the star VB player was not quarantined or missed nay of the VB sectional, yet he was not allowed there.

Another school had a few cases, they practiced together, yet only the player with the positive test was disallowed.

IHSAA did not want to come and say this is how every school will handle it because they want the football money. I am not sure it should be cancelled, but maybe they should have thought about using Sagarins and only allowed teams in that qualify based on their seasons success. That would give some flexibility. What happens when a state finals team has to forfeit?

Will they move game back? Will the school be honest? 

I just read one about no tourney means loss of money. So there is more concern about the money, than the player's health. 

21 minutes ago, DT said:

Therer is always a bailout if government deems it a good investment in tax dollars.

I doubt the state would allow the IHSAA to fail due to economic calamity caused by COVID.  The state will fund any short term gaps as needed and until the IHSAA can get back on its feet under normal circumstances.

The IHSAA is a 100% private institution.  The state of Indiana providing it taxpayer money to cover operating costs would be a gross misappropriation of public funds and probably unconstitutional.

Edited by Muda69

6 hours ago, sr1 said:

Of the 10 members of the SIAC there are 3 that have a smaller enrollment than Gibson Southern. Another school only has 52 more students.

I would add the GS is one of the few schools in this area that appears to be growing substantially, according to the IHSAA website they have 162 Seniors but 197 freshmen. I have heard they will be over 800 in a few years and possibly still growing.... @Titan32could probably say if this is correct.

1 minute ago, Cappy said:

I would add the GS is one of the few schools in this area that appears to be growing substantially, according to the IHSAA website they have 162 Seniors but 197 freshmen. I have heard they will be over 800 in a few years and possibly still growing.... @Titan32could probably say if this is correct.

I think there is a slight upward trajectory and a large freshman class.  I have not heard anyone predict 800 kids although I suppose that is a possibility as I have heard rumors of more Toyota expansion.  I would say though there is no danger of 4A any time soon (no success factor jokes here please LOL).

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I think there is a slight upward trajectory and a large freshman class.  I have not heard anyone predict 800 kids although I suppose that is a possibility as I have heard rumors of more Toyota expansion.  I would say though there is no danger of 4A any time soon (no success factor jokes here please LOL).

If the "new" North (how long can we use that phrase?) had not been built, I could see some migration from northern Vanderburgh County heading that way.  I think the population shift from Princeton south and north from Evansville to the county will stabilize with two good schools there.  

And re-classifications don't happen in a vacuum either.  GS would have to add 100 or so students AND need 10-12 schools above them to decrease enrollment. 

1 minute ago, oldtimeqb said:

If the "new" North (how long can we use that phrase?) had not been built, I could see some migration from northern Vanderburgh County heading that way.  I think the population shift from Princeton south and north from Evansville to the county will stabilize with two good schools there.  

And re-classifications don't happen in a vacuum either.  GS would have to add 100 or so students AND need 10-12 schools above them to decrease enrollment. 

I think as the housing market expands to the North out of Vanderburgh county, some football families might have interesting options depending on the trajectory of the two programs over the next few years.

57 minutes ago, Dirty D said:

So there is more concern about the money, than the player's health. 

If you are going to make that claim then please include the likelihood of a player's health being negatively impacted.  And I don't mean simply testing positive.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Dirty D said:

IHSAA did not want to come and say this is how every school will handle it because they want the football money.

I believe the IHSAA did not want to issue that kind of mandate because they are in the high school athletics business, not the public health business. High school sports is just one of the activities affected by the pandemic. Public health authorities have to take many things into account. High school sports do not exist in a vacuum.

Bad news for some: The state football tournament will not be cancelled. And let's just say, I trust my sources. Unless football players start dropping like flies all of a sudden (which will not happen). From what I know, majority of schools and counties have handled outbreaks fairly well. If teams have to forfeit, so be it, the healthy teams move on and props to them. While serious and unfortunate, the big bad virus that results in an extremely high survival chance does not mean we have to give up, give in and cancel life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cappy said:

Where does GS enrollment fall in the SIAC if you take out the PPs, who technically should have a minimum 1.66% Multiplier to equalize their attendance to the public school rate.