Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Southwood is NOW IN!!!!

Undefeated 1A Southwood is out of the tourney because of COVID.

WABASH, Ind. (WANE) — Southwood will go down in the record books as not having lost a single game in 2020 – their only loss, as it were, came against the pandemic.

Southwood has been ruled out of postseason play due to a COVID situation that will cause all members of the Knights football program to quarantine for the next 14 days.

Head coach Dave Snyder spoke with WANE-TV sports director Glenn Marini on Tuesday night. Snyder said he was emotional when contacting his players – who were not allowed to meet face-to-face – to break the news.

Southwood was 9-0 in the regular season and ranked 3rd in the state’s latest 1A poll. The Knights were set to open sectional play this Friday at home against rival Northfield in a game that was to be featured on the Highlight Zone as one of the area’s best match-ups.

https://www.wane.com/high-school-sports/undefeated-southwood-knocked-out-of-playoffs-by-covid-situation/?fbclid=IwAR2vyxwGAgWZjimKsUycQMx2L9htLwAAaP4PBIa6oy8OI80qD5pqxr2wX8s

1 hour ago, Punttheball said:

I believe Peru is in the same situation.  How are teams like Valley handling this?  Southwood played them Friday.  What is the domino effect?

Probably works the same way, pending local guidelines, that siblings/family run into.  A kid in quarantine for being in close-contact proximity to a positive test does not necessarily have their siblings, or other family members having to quarantine.  I don't know the specifics of the Southwood situation, but if they are quarantining due to result of close-contact proximity to a positive test ... e.g., a teacher in a classroom ... then their opponents are, currently, treated like their siblings and are not subject to quarantine.  Unless the Southwood players now test positive.  

Just ran through this scenario with my son and his team over the last couple of weeks.  He and his teammates were in close-contact proximity with someone who tested positive.  Pretty much whole team went on quarantine.  We quarantined him in the house, but siblings were still OK to go to classes.  He tested negative and came off of quarantine today.  He was like a puppy that slipped out of his leash when he got outside today. 😃

24 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

Not so fast! Southwood is now testing their varsity players and will be able to play Friday if all tests come back negative.

C070C8D8-C162-4148-AA4D-931DDB3833BD.jpeg

I hope this works out for them, but I believe that the Wabash girls Volleyball team tried the same thing and it was a no go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Probably works the same way, pending local guidelines, that siblings/family run into.  A kid in quarantine for being in close-contact proximity to a positive test does not necessarily have their siblings, or other family members having to quarantine.  I don't know the specifics of the Southwood situation, but if they are quarantining due to result of close-contact proximity to a positive test ... e.g., a teacher in a classroom ... then their opponents are, currently, treated like their siblings and are not subject to quarantine.  Unless the Southwood players now test positive.  

Just ran through this scenario with my son and his team over the last couple of weeks.  He and his teammates were in close-contact proximity with someone who tested positive.  Pretty much whole team went on quarantine.  We quarantined him in the house, but siblings were still OK to go to classes.  He tested negative and came off of quarantine today.  He was like a puppy that slipped out of his leash when he got outside today. 😃

I follow everything you are saying...It just seems like a huge amount gray area.  It again has been left to local officials, so I see where one district may have a different policy than another.  

Current situation that I am familiar with has a teacher quarantined for 24 days.  He had a family member test positive within the same household.  So he is 14 days + 10 days because he is a teacher.  So the I guess Valley would need to access the situation if a Soutwood player comes back positive.  I just hope it works in favor of both teams.

5 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

If I were the Northfield Norsemen I'm not sure I would want to play my county rival in a tournament game under these circumstances.   Seems like an awfully pat conclusion.................

I'd wager you can't find a HC in Indiana that would agree with you, especially given the extra reassurance that Southwood doesn't have COVID-19. Every coach I've heard has said they want to play if it can be done safely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let me preface my statement by saying I have no dog in this fight and have ZERO opinion one way or the other if Southwood plays.  But, if what I've read in this thread is true, how is this possible and someone please enlighten me? According to every CDC, State and Local Board of Health guideline I've read, a close contact results in a 14 day quarantine, period.  A negative test during that 14 day period is irrelevant because close contact individuals are still in a contagious/incubation state. So are the Southwood kids contacts of contacts?  That's the only thing that would make sense here.  If Southwood plays, good for them. But I feel sorry for all the other teams/individuals who had to forfeit their seasons due to the 14 day rule.  If you really want to get people angry, changing rules midstream is a surefire way to do it.  

• Like 3
  • Sit and spin 1

2 hours ago, Punttheball said:

I follow everything you are saying...It just seems like a huge amount gray area.  It again has been left to local officials, so I see where one district may have a different policy than another.  

Current situation that I am familiar with has a teacher quarantined for 24 days.  He had a family member test positive within the same household.  So he is 14 days + 10 days because he is a teacher.  So the I guess Valley would need to access the situation if a Soutwood player comes back positive.  I just hope it works in favor of both teams.

2 minutes ago, vito said:

Let me preface my statement by saying I have no dog in this fight and have ZERO opinion one way or the other if Southwood plays.  But, if what I've read in this thread is true, how is this possible and someone please enlighten me? According to every CDC, State and Local Board of Health guideline I've read, a close contact results in a 14 day quarantine, period.  A negative test during that 14 day period is irrelevant because close contact individuals are still in a contagious/incubation state. So are the Southwood kids contacts of contacts?  That's the only thing that would make sense here.  If Southwood plays, good for them. But I feel sorry for all the other teams/individuals who had to forfeit their seasons due to the 14 day rule.  If you really want to get people angry, changing rules midstream is a surefire way to do it.  

I hope the original person was found to be negative. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

I hope this is was a typo and you meant to say,"turns out to not be a super-spreader event."

Yes,  that is what I meant.  Thank you for catching that.

8 minutes ago, vito said:

Sounds like the rules vary from school corporation to school corporation, and according to the current W-L record of the football team.

• Like 1