Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Covid 19 testing losing team question?

13 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Can you see a scenario a team being upset they lost and testing their whole team? Would this sabotage the team that just advanced? 

I would truly hope that this wouldn't be something that any coach or administrator would ever even contemplate doing.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Can you see a scenario a team being upset they lost and testing their whole team? Would this sabotage the team that just advanced? 

If the coaches and AD care about the health of their players why wouldn't they test them following a game, win or lose?   

I think this is where the health departments are missing the data to justify their behaviors.

MLB, NFL, and now college football. That’s a lot of competitions without a case of opponent to opponent transmission. (At least I have not heard of one documented case.) 

Teammates. Locker rooms, bus/plane rides, coaches and support staff. Plenty of evidence of spread through those means. I have not seen competition spread.

3 hours ago, mykidssportsfan said:

Doing it on purpose with no symptoms after a losing game would make it appear you were being vindictive. 

Not sure how contact tracing would work in this situation...up to each health department, I suppose.

Good post.  Thought about this as well.  I believe the DOH website states that u go back 2 days b4 symptoms began.  So if a player states “I started to feel sick Monday” the prior team may be ok.  If he says Saturday am then probably not.

IMO a topic discussion that includes how one team could "sabotage" another teams season is extremely innapropriate.  I attacked that notion by using the word "topic" not "you". If anyone feels I am not entitled to express that opinion, or that it was  a personal attack, maybe you need to find your safe place. I am shocked the moderaters have allowed this discussion.

18 minutes ago, jcat69 said:

IMO a topic discussion that includes how one team could "sabotage" another teams season is extremely innapropriate.  I attacked that notion by using the word "topic" not "you". If anyone feels I am not entitled to express that opinion, or that it was  a personal attack, maybe you need to find your safe place. I am shocked the moderaters have allowed this discussion.

Really, lighten up Karen.

• Like 1

Not exactly the same scenario, but here’s a different example from Volleyball.

A team that had a bye into the semi-final last Saturday morning was supposed to play the winner of the Tuesday night opening round game.  On Friday, a member of the team with the bye tested positive, and most of the team was instructed to quarantine.  This forced them to forfeit their Saturday morning game and ended their season.  Instead of following the quarantine, all of the players except the one who tested positive showed up at the sectional semi-final that was played on Saturday morning (between the two teams on the other side of the bracket).  They sat in the bleachers, several of which had on homemade shirts that said “Let us play”.

Certainly a bummer that they had to forfeit due to quarantine, but it was very uncomfortable for the teams that played knowing that this team was not supposed to be there.

24 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

Not exactly the same scenario, but here’s a different example from Volleyball.

A team that had a bye into the semi-final last Saturday morning was supposed to play the winner of the Tuesday night opening round game.  On Friday, a member of the team with the bye tested positive, and most of the team was instructed to quarantine.  This forced them to forfeit their Saturday morning game and ended their season.  Instead of following the quarantine, all of the players except the one who tested positive showed up at the sectional semi-final that was played on Saturday morning (between the two teams on the other side of the bracket).  They sat in the bleachers, several of which had on homemade shirts that said “Let us play”.

Certainly a bummer that they had to forfeit due to quarantine, but it was very uncomfortable for the teams that played knowing that this team was not supposed to be there.

Why would the host school allow those players who were instructed to quarantine to enter the building or remain there for the game?

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, sr1 said:

Why would the host school allow those players who were instructed to quarantine to enter the building or remain there for the game?

Because you do not quarantine healthy people?

17 minutes ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

If they were healthy they wouldn't need to quarantine.  You may change your name but you still don't know what you are talking about.

🤔....

"all of the players except the one who tested positive"

Who doesn't know what they are talking about????

Again, you do NOT quarantine HEALTHY people!

Have a great night all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

On Friday, a member of the team with the bye tested positive, and most of the team was instructed to quarantine.  This forced them to forfeit their Saturday morning game and ended their season.  Instead of following the quarantine, all of the players except the one who tested positive showed up at the sectional semi-final that was played on Saturday morning (between the two teams on the other side of the bracket).  They sat in the bleachers, several of which had on homemade shirts that said “Let us play”.

1 hour ago, DE said:

🤔....

"all of the players except the one who tested positive"

Who doesn't know what they are talking about????

Again, you do NOT quarantine HEALTHY people!

Have a great night all.

Based on @HoopsCoach's post, it would seem that at least one was positive and more were quarantined.  If all but one showed up to that game, then some of that all-but-one should have been quarantining. 

Actually you DO QUARANTINE close-contacts, which can be healthy ... you don't have to ISOLATE them though.  But many heathy people are quarantined due to close-contact until such time as they have negative tests or the quarantine period expires.  People keep mistaking quarantine for isolation and they are two different things with two very different inferred issues around them.  An isolated person is considered positive.  A quarantined person is usually unknown, but close-contact at the time.  As faculty member, when I get notice about a student quarantining, it specifically states that the quarantine does not mean that the person has been diagnosed with COVID.  Also, as the parent of a player who was quarantined due to being in close contact with a positive test fellow player, I've had this direct experience.  My son tested negative a week ago and just got off of school quarantine this past week.  He and most of his team of 50+ kids missed the last two weeks of their season due to quarantine. 

10 hours ago, foxbat said:

Based on @HoopsCoach's post, it would seem that at least one was positive and more were quarantined.  If all but one showed up to that game, then some of that all-but-one should have been quarantining. 

Actually you DO QUARANTINE close-contacts, which can be healthy ... you don't have to ISOLATE them though.  But many heathy people are quarantined due to close-contact until such time as they have negative tests or the quarantine period expires.  People keep mistaking quarantine for isolation and they are two different things with two very different inferred issues around them.  An isolated person is considered positive.  A quarantined person is usually unknown, but close-contact at the time.  As faculty member, when I get notice about a student quarantining, it specifically states that the quarantine does not mean that the person has been diagnosed with COVID.  Also, as the parent of a player who was quarantined due to being in close contact with a positive test fellow player, I've had this direct experience.  My son tested negative a week ago and just got off of school quarantine this past week.  He and most of his team of 50+ kids missed the last two weeks of their season due to quarantine. 

Thanks @foxbat.  I thought that others have faced this is their schools/teams.  I too have had numerous quarantined students.  I was looking for this from the CD for @DE to look at.  I guess his school doesn't know about or follow the CDC guidelines. 

A long story short, quarantine means that you MAY have been exposed but you MAY also be healthy.  The idea of the quarantine is so you don't spread the virus before you know you have it.  Plus a negative test doesn't mean that you wouldn't have it at any point during the incubation period.  So a negative test doesn't dismiss you from the quarantine.  If we all followed the rules of the experts instead we wouldn't be facing the issues we are facing today.

• Like 1