Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2020

Irishman

24 minutes ago, DT said:

Im perplexed how you could make such a ridiculous statement

There is nothing more critical to success in college football than recruiting.  You can be the best college  football coach that God ever created, but your 2.9 star roster is rarely going to beat the 4.3 star roster, if ever

But that isn't the gap between IU and Kentucky's roster, it's not even close. Unless you're Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, etc the only way you're going to win is recruiting kids to your system and developing them along the way. That's not a ridiculous statement at all. Indiana, nor Kentucky, is ever going to recruit at those levels so the next best thing is to recruit players to your system that buy in and develop them along the way. This is exactly what schools like Iowa and Wisconsin do. 

Once you get outside the the top 200-250 players in any given class, it's all about how you develop them. There's 5-6 schools year in and year out who land 50-60% of the kids in that 200-250 range.

IU has a couple of bad penalties for roughing the QB that kept drives alive and lead to points for Rutgers. Have to clean that up. Rutgers defense making some mistakes as well. Love seeing Philyor in the slot position though....so tough to cover any way...from the slot, it is even tougher.

57 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

After throwing another laser through Hendershot’s hands when it wasn’t necessary, Penix finally settled down and showed his elite talent. Just quit using the QB sneak or he’s going to get hurt again. Michigan next Saturday should be quite a game!

Thats two weeks in a row a gorgeous pass went right thru Hendershots hands.  

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

IU has a couple of bad penalties for roughing the QB that kept drives alive and lead to points for Rutgers. Have to clean that up. Rutgers defense making some mistakes as well. Love seeing Philyor in the slot position though....so tough to cover any way...from the slot, it is even tougher.

The Philyor face mask penalty cost them a TD.    

5 minutes ago, DT said:

The Philyor face mask penalty cost them a TD.    

Would really like to see more of James.  He had 33 yards on 7 carries with a 16 yard run.  We should be rushing for 200 yards per game with these two backs and that big offensive line.   Run them out of the I or Pro set formations.  

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, DT said:

Thats two weeks in a row a gorgeous pass went right thru Hendershots hands.  

“That’s two weeks in a row a pass thrown way to hard went right through Hendershots hands”.........

There, I corrected it for you.

If you paid attention he threw catchable balls the rest of the game. 

1 hour ago, Staxawax said:

“That’s two weeks in a row a pass thrown way to hard went right through Hendershots hands”.........

There, I corrected it for you.

If you paid attention he threw catchable balls the rest of the game. 

I guarantee you Hendershot would say he should have caught both of those balls

Loved how Urban Meyer said IU is the second best team in the Big Ten East, especially after the Buckeyes took down Penn State.  I really like IU's chances against Michigan this year.  The IU defense dominated yesterday in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.   Rutgers had only 60 yards of total offense at halftime.  In the second quarter IU only gave up minus 6 yards.   That's quite impressive.  IU still has a tough schedule but they are playing well enough to be in every game.     Allen had to be proud of his team yesterday.  It seems like he is the coach that IU has needed for years.

• Like 1

I think the biggest takeaway so far is the IU defense. They've been up to the task every week. I remember years ago, when every team would just score at will on the Hoosiers. IU would have to score 40+ to win. Tom Allen has changed that since he's been on campus. This could be the best defense IU has had in a long time. They're creating turnovers and limiting big plays. The offense still has some improving to do. Especially that offensive line. No push on a lot of those run plays. Early in the game, Penix was under a lot of pressure. They got it going a little later. 

• Like 2

On 11/1/2020 at 12:07 PM, wvigo13 said:

I think the biggest takeaway so far is the IU defense. They've been up to the task every week. I remember years ago, when every team would just score at will on the Hoosiers. IU would have to score 40+ to win. Tom Allen has changed that since he's been on campus. This could be the best defense IU has had in a long time. They're creating turnovers and limiting big plays. The offense still has some improving to do. Especially that offensive line. No push on a lot of those run plays. Early in the game, Penix was under a lot of pressure. They got it going a little later. 

That's when "worthless" Wilson was the head coach.  Allen is the total opposite.   He's a defensive guy while Wilson was just trying to outscore you.

• Like 1

Nice win for IU. They answered when they needed to...with scores as well as sacks and turnovers. I did not seeing so many deep shots in the 3rd quarter. Underneath routes were wide open. But, I will take that W any day. Great job Coach Allen and staff getting these guys ready.

Biggest win in program history

Big brother to the north has always been the standard bearer and the measuring stick for IU football

Very very proud of my alma mater

6 hours ago, Irishman said:

Nice win for IU. They answered when they needed to...with scores as well as sacks and turnovers. I did not seeing so many deep shots in the 3rd quarter. Underneath routes were wide open. But, I will take that W any day. Great job Coach Allen and staff getting these guys ready.

Tom Allen is a really good football coach!  That is all!

6 hours ago, DT said:

Biggest win in program history

Big brother to the north has always been the standard bearer and the measuring stick for IU football

Very very proud of my alma mater

No, not even close to being the biggest

remember Earl Bruce was relived of his duties

45 minutes ago, southend said:

No, not even close to being the biggest

remember Earl Bruce was relived of his duties

Michigan is the bigger rival, hence the win is much sweeter

Its an interesting question.  IU has been such a non factor in football for so long that its hard to find a true rival and meaningful nemesis because we have been so bad for so long.

Clearly, Purdue is IUs biggest rival, but IU was not Purdues biggest rival, Notre Dame was.  

As a graduate of IU and a fan of the program since the late 70s, Michigan has always been the school that I longed to beat.  For others, it might be Ohio State.

To each his own.

Todays win was a huge milestone for both Allen and the program in general.  It appeared that for the first time ever, we had enough quality players to go toe to toe with the Wolverines.  It just shows what momentum can mean to a program.  IU has the 53rd ranked roster in the country, and Michigan is #18, and yet we ran them off the field.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Edited by DT