Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2020

Irishman

37 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Yes, please provide them.

This old timer likes real football.

Muda, as another man that enjoys running the football, I really enjoy true triple option teams. How about you?

I am thinking flexbone, Academy style. 

9 hours ago, DE said:

Muda, as another man that enjoys running the football, I really enjoy true triple option teams. How about you?

I am thinking flexbone, Academy style. 

Yes.  Good stuff.  Takes real skill and forethought to execute well.

Edited by Muda69
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Yes.  Good stuff.  Takes real skill and forethought to execute well.

I know some fb people just like iso, power, toss, etc.  Which is all great. 

I grew up in triple option football. Loved it. 

1 hour ago, DE said:

I know some fb people just like iso, power, toss, etc.  Which is all great. 

I grew up in triple option football. Loved it. 

Conversely, there are people who enjoy Trips to the Right or Left, the Spread, and my favorite, the Bomb.  No one is wrong here, football is a great game with many different looks to it.

Strategy is everything.

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Conversely, there are people who enjoy Trips to the Right or Left, the Spread, and my favorite, the Bomb.  No one is wrong here, football is a great game with many different looks to it.

Strategy is everything.

I concur, UNLESS say, JUST FOR EXAMPLE PURPOSES......I am officiating a game between 2 less than capable passing teams, that think they are Air Coryell.  Then that game takes FOREVER!

On 11/23/2020 at 7:25 PM, southend said:

And this is the reason Bill Mallory was relieved of the head coaching job at Indiana University, for you old timers on this site. 

I can provide details if you are interested. 

Well many many years ago Bill Mallory assembled a group of assistants after he left Ohio state. Where he was an assistant.  The offensive coordinator for Bill was George Belu. He also came from Ohio state. Thru all the years from Miami , Colorado ,northern Illinois and Indiana, Belu stayed with Bill Mallory. Before Mallory accepted the IU job, he said that this was to be his last coaching job. Bill had several loyal assistants but none as loyal as George. He had several opportunities to jump ship and lead his own program but stayed with All of Bills jobs. 
Indianas success in the Mallory years did not satisfy the higher ups at Indiana, third or fourth in the conference was not the Rose Bowl. And their reasoning was that IU’s offense didn’t score enough points,10,13, and 16 points a game , although winning games, was not going to get the team to the Rose Bowl. They Liked Bill and wanted to renew his contract on the stipulation that he replace George Belu.  Run off right tackle, then run off left tackle then punt George as the saying goes. Or 4 yards and a cloud of dust, offense had to go. 
I think everyone knows what happened, Bill Mallory’s loyalty to George caused his contract not to be extended. 

Hoosiers rushed for 230 yards today in the win over Maryland  JR Tim Baldwin had 106 yards on 16 carries.  Who is Tim Baldwin?  

Penix injured?  Scott scores 3 times from the Wildcat.  Different look today for Indiana, but a big W.  

What does this do for Sampson James?  Is he demoted?

Anybody get a good look at Tuttle?

44 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Baldwin is a freshman out of Virginia.

Early rumors are Penix is done with an Achilles tear.

Wow.  Can’t keep him ,Penix,from injuries.  But we have a very good defense. Without passing, I don’t see Indiana going too far. So is Tuttle up to the challenge? 

20 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Awful news

Sorry to lose Penix, but not at all surprised.  

Looking forward to seeing Jack Tuttle play.  Also expect to see IU pivot to much more of a running game heading down the stretch.  Weve got 3 quality backs.  use them all and grind out 250 to 300 yards a game.  

Tuttle has NFL size   6-4   215.  Should be very interesting to watch.

This is the second major injury to the same knee for Penix.  he may be done, at least in Bloomington.  We have Donaven McCulley coming next year, a more durable version of Penix

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2020/11/30/iu-football-5-things-know-qb-jack-tuttle/6464893002/

Edited by DT

Indeed and well said, this guy is snake bit, with the injury bug. W oW. 
The OBVIOUS here is Indiana will have to try to run the ball at a higher rate than they have been. To ease our new guy into the offense. 
Hopefully they have some success with that. If not, maybe Mr. Tuttle can be an extension of what got us this far , with our passing game. 
I guess next weekend we will get to see the new sheriff in town operate. 

On 11/25/2020 at 11:54 AM, southend said:

Well many many years ago Bill Mallory assembled a group of assistants after he left Ohio state. Where he was an assistant.  The offensive coordinator for Bill was George Belu. He also came from Ohio state. Thru all the years from Miami , Colorado ,northern Illinois and Indiana, Belu stayed with Bill Mallory. Before Mallory accepted the IU job, he said that this was to be his last coaching job. Bill had several loyal assistants but none as loyal as George. He had several opportunities to jump ship and lead his own program but stayed with All of Bills jobs. 
Indianas success in the Mallory years did not satisfy the higher ups at Indiana, third or fourth in the conference was not the Rose Bowl. And their reasoning was that IU’s offense didn’t score enough points,10,13, and 16 points a game , although winning games, was not going to get the team to the Rose Bowl. They Liked Bill and wanted to renew his contract on the stipulation that he replace George Belu.  Run off right tackle, then run off left tackle then punt George as the saying goes. Or 4 yards and a cloud of dust, offense had to go. 
I think everyone knows what happened, Bill Mallory’s loyalty to George caused his contract not to be extended. 

Kudos to Bill!

5 hours ago, Irishman said:

Praying for the young man; he has shown a lot of grit and determination throughout his career. It is sad to see this happen to him. 

Amen. 

4 hours ago, DT said:

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-127-fbs-offensive-lines-through-cfb-week-13

IU offensive line ranked 124 out of 127 NCAA football lines

Could they be that bad?

Read the details.

And a big reason for Notre Dame’s success over the last several years is their offensive line, currently rated # 1 nationally in this publication.

6 hours ago, DT said:

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-127-fbs-offensive-lines-through-cfb-week-13

IU offensive line ranked 124 out of 127 NCAA football lines

Could they be that bad?

Read the details.

And you want them to do something they can’t do right now. 250 yards running every game. It’s a pipe dream with the players they have this year. 
They the coaches are going to their strengths, which is a dynamic receiving crew ,a pretty good QB, although this is yet to be seen now with the injury,and a very stout defensive secondary. 

5 hours ago, southend said:

And you want them to do something they can’t do right now. 250 yards running every game. It’s a pipe dream with the players they have this year. 
They the coaches are going to their strengths, which is a dynamic receiving crew ,a pretty good QB, although this is yet to be seen now with the injury,and a very stout defensive secondary. 

I had no idea our line was this poorly rated.  I kept scrolling down looking for Iu thinking I must have missed them somewhere higher on the list.

6 hours ago, DT said:

I had no idea our line was this poorly rated.  I kept scrolling down looking for Iu thinking I must have missed them somewhere higher on the list.

Me either...in fact, the only game they could not run was the Ohio State game. The run game has been a key in every other game. 

36 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

IU 14, Wisky 6 final!

Tom Allen should be national Coach of the Year!

The post game interview on ABC was so much fun to watch. It summed up how the players feel about their coach! Tuttle was good enough to keep the line moving but he may be instructed to not run anymore! Keep the bucket, then the crossover game. Iowa lurking?

• Like 1

Tuttle's accuracy was impressive. He does need to run much less, or at least get down before contact. I thought it was bad call when the targeting was overturned though. I listened to the former official in the booth. Bottom line is a blow to the head is a blow to the head. Defense had me worried. I thought they blitzed too many too often. It created run lanes for huge gains; including the qb escaping the pocket. But, they made critical plays when needed. It was a good win on the road. 

Anyone seeing just how likely it is getting to be that IU and ND match up in a bowl game? Assuming that Clemson beats ND in the rematch.