Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2020

Irishman

18 minutes ago, southend said:

Typical, adds nothing but conjecture and snide remarks. 

That’s gonzo for ya. 

34 minutes ago, temptation said:

Right on time.  Name calling and all.

Way to come out swinging.

🪝 line and sinker

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Well, college football was just a microcosm of society as a whole.

1.  “Big ten teams must play a minimum of 6 games.”

Never mind.

2.  “Big Ten teams must adhere to a 21 day protocol.“

Never mind.

Absolutely ZERO consistency and ever changing rules drafted in pencil.

Different rules for the elites.

Can I be done now fellas?

😂 facts matter and cross many lines. 

• Haha 1

Anyone else have a feeling that Ole Miss is going to win by double digits? I don't think IU can keep Kiffin's offense under 28 and IU's offense hasnn't looked great in the post Penix era. The storyline will be that IU didn't belong in the NY6 conversation from those who probably don't even realize they lost a player of Penix's magnitude. 

19 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Anyone else have a feeling that Ole Miss is going to win by double digits? I don't think IU can keep Kiffin's offense under 28 and IU's offense hasnn't looked great in the post Penix era. The storyline will be that IU didn't belong in the NY6 conversation from those who probably don't even realize they lost a player of Penix's magnitude. 

Not based on what I’m reading on here.  No way.  The Kansas City Chiefs are the only ones that can challenge IU and they are too elite to participate in such a ridiculous bowl game.

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Anything can happen as we've seen in these bowls. But Ole Miss top 2 WR and top 2 backs have either opted out or are injured. Not sure I would categorize offense as struggling post-Penix. Penix actually looked TERRIBLE in his last start against Maryland before getting injured. I thought Tuttle did a fine job in his first career start. Say what you want about Wisconsin, but statistically they have one of the best defenses in the country this year. Tuttle did well managing the game. Didn't force anything and threw 2 TD's and no INT's. Lone blemish was a fumble trying to extend a play in which he already had the first down. Yardage was modest but let's not forget Miles Marshall dropped a 65 yard touchdown to go up 21-6 without a defender within 15 yards of him. 3 TD's 0 INT and 200 yards on the road in your first career start probably erases some of those doubts. 

Edited by Footballking16

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Anything can happen as we've seen in these bowls. But Ole Miss top 2 WR and top 2 backs have either opted out or are injured. Not sure I would categorize offense as struggling post-Penix. Penix actually looked TERRIBLE in his last start against Maryland before getting injured. I thought Tuttle did a fine job in his first career start. Say what you want about Wisconsin, but statistically they have one of the best defenses in the country this year. Tuttle did well managing the game. Didn't force anything and threw 2 TD's and no INT's. Lone blemish was a fumble trying to extend a play in which he already had the first down. Yardage was modest but let's not forget Miles Marshall dropped a 65 yard touchdown to go up 21-6 without a defender within 15 yards of him. 3 TD's 0 INT and 200 yards on the road in your first career start probably erases some of those doubts. 

Good callout on the players out of action for Miss.     IU should be at full strength which should mitigate the talent disparity.  Should be a close high scoring game.   

29 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Anything can happen as we've seen in these bowls. But Ole Miss top 2 WR and top 2 backs have either opted out or are injured. Not sure I would categorize offense as struggling post-Penix. Penix actually looked TERRIBLE in his last start against Maryland before getting injured. 

Interesting. I wasn't aware Ole Miss will be missing players. IMO, this is a pretty big game for IU. It's completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but beating even an average SEC team in a Bowl game is a good image booster. 

10 minutes ago, southend said:

We shall see, I’m not convinced Indiana can win this game. They have a good chance to. Big consequences if Indiana loses to a team with a losing record. And we are Not going to gain much more than what we already have gained so far this year, if we in fact do Win. 

There are few “big consequences” of bowl games outside of the playoff.   They are basically your team’s spring game for the following season.

IU is in a Saturday time slot across from one other game at a time when most folks are locked inside and starving for action.

Nothing that happens in the “Outback Bowl” negates the season that IU had, nor makes any difference in the trajectory of the program.  

Minnesota surprised Auburn in this very same game last year and look how that worked out.  They were anointed the next big thing in the B10 West and then finished sub .500.

IU fans, sit back and bask in the glory that was a historic campaign and enjoy watching your team for 3 more hours.  You’ll be much happier.

3 hours ago, temptation said:

There are few “big consequences” of bowl games outside of the playoff.   They are basically your team’s spring game for the following season.

IU is in a Saturday time slot across from one other game at a time when most folks are locked inside and starving for action.

Nothing that happens in the “Outback Bowl” negates the season that IU had, nor makes any difference in the trajectory of the program.  

Minnesota surprised Auburn in this very same game last year and look how that worked out.  They were anointed the next big thing in the B10 West and then finished sub .500.

IU fans, sit back and bask in the glory that was a historic campaign and enjoy watching your team for 3 more hours.  You’ll be much happier.

Jaylon Smith

13 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Las Vegas has Indiana as a 7pt favorite. IU is better than what people are giving them credit for.

40 years of futility have muted my ability to get overly excited or confident in the Hoosiers post season bowl prospects.  

I am clearly in the "show me" phase of my support for the program.  And make no mistake, I am a strong supporter.  But I want to see the following things happen before I can accept the idea that IU has made a long term step up in the Big Ten hierarchy :

1. Post 5 consecutive winning records

2. Start winning bowl games

3. Reach a minimum of fifteen 4 star players on the active roster

4. Create more offensive balance with an improved running game that accounts for at least 40% of the avg offensive production.

5. Start producing NFL first round draft picks on defense.

6. ND, Michigan and Ohio State will continue to cherry pick Indiana's top high school football talent.  Keep the other Big Ten schools away from our Top 15 players and beat Purdue in the majority of in state recruiting battles.

7. Maintain staff continuity and pay coordinators enough to keep them from jumping ship to non power 5 schools for HFC jobs.

Edited by DT

8 hours ago, DT said:

40 years of futility have muted my ability to get overly excited or confident in the Hoosiers post season bowl prospects.  

I am clearly in the "show me" phase of my support for the program.  And make no mistake, I am a strong supporter.  But I want to see the following things happen before I can accept the idea that IU has made a long term step up in the Big Ten hierarchy :

1. Post 5 consecutive winning records

2. Start winning bowl games

3. Reach a minimum of fifteen 4 star players on the active roster

4. Create more offensive balance with an improved running game that accounts for at least 40% of the avg offensive production.

5. Start producing NFL first round draft picks on defense.

6. ND, Michigan and Ohio State will continue to cherry pick Indiana's top high school football talent.  Keep the other Big Ten schools away from our Top 15 players and beat Purdue in the majority of in state recruiting battles.

7. Maintain staff continuity and pay coordinators enough to keep them from jumping ship to non power 5 schools for HFC jobs.

Good stuff DT..........great goals for IU's program. 

Regarding the game coming up, the oddsmakers just happen to think IU has a pretty good football team this year. There are several on this forum who are claiming that this is all hyperbole among IU fans desperate for a good football team. The experts feel otherwise, giving the Hoosiers a 7pt advantage against Ole Miss.  And maybe the committee wasn't slighting IU at all bye giving them a shot at an SEC opponent. I think the real issue here is how Iowa State, in a league on par with the very far down Big Ten this  year, eclipses IU for an invite to a NY6 game with three losses on their record. IU's only loss came by 7pts to a playoff team. It doesn't make sense to me, nor does it make sense to sports radio guys across the country. This is a hot topic nationally. 

23 minutes ago, BTF said:

Good stuff DT..........great goals for IU's program. 

Regarding the game coming up, the oddsmakers just happen to think IU has a pretty good football team this year. There are several on this forum who are claiming that this is all hyperbole among IU fans desperate for a good football team. The experts feel otherwise, giving the Hoosiers a 7pt advantage against Ole Miss.  And maybe the committee wasn't slighting IU at all bye giving them a shot at an SEC opponent. I think the real issue here is how Iowa State, in a league on par with the very far down Big Ten this  year, eclipses IU for an invite to a NY6 game with three losses on their record. IU's only loss came by 7pts to a playoff team. It doesn't make sense to me, nor does it make sense to sports radio guys across the country. This is a hot topic nationally. 

Must be a very slow news cycle currently.  Iowa State has been steadily climbing for the past 5 years.  They have won several high profile games against OU, Texas and they play Iowa very evenly.  Matt Campbell is possibly the most sought after P5 coach in the country.  

Conversely, Iu has come on the national scene only very recently.  their is still much skepticism.  I think ISU is being rewarded for their 5 year body of work under Campbell.  And I think most oddsmakers would take ISU over IU in a straight up nuetral site matchup

Edited by DT

6 minutes ago, DT said:

Must be a very slow news cycle currently.  Iowa State has been steadily climbing for the past 5 years.  They have won several high profile games against OU, Texas and they play Iowa very evenly.  Matt Campbell is possibly the most sought after P5 coach in the country.  

Conversely, Iu has come on the national scene only very recently.  their is still much skepticism.  I think ISU is being rewarded for their 5 year body of work under Campbell.  And I think most oddsmakers would take ISU over IU in a straight up nuetral site matchup

I listen to sports radio every time I get in the car. It's actually one of the bigger discussions nationally. 

In my opinion, and I don't think I'm alone here, the Big 12 is weak and they are now on par with the Big Ten during one of the worst years in the Big Ten ever recorded. Everyone thought ISU was good last year with all those close games against the Big Twelve hierarchy. Then they didn't even put up a fight against the 12th ranked team in the country in the bowl game. They were down 33-3 before scoring a late touchdown. This team reminds me of last years, I'm just not sold. And now they get a shot against less than impressive Oregon team. Maybe I'll be convinced after next year. 

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

I listen to sports radio every time I get in the car. It's actually one of the bigger discussions nationally. 

In my opinion, and I don't think I'm alone here, the Big 12 is weak and they are now on par with the Big Ten during one of the worst years in the Big Ten ever recorded. Everyone thought ISU was good last year with all those close games against the Big Twelve hierarchy. Then they didn't even put up a fight against the 12th ranked team in the country in the bowl game. They were down 33-3 before scoring a late touchdown. This team reminds me of last years, I'm just not sold. And now they get a shot against less than impressive Oregon team. Maybe I'll be convinced after next year. 

Truth be told, both games are about equal in my view.  After losing to TN last year, Im glad we get another shot at the SEC.  And Id love to see IU kick Lane Kiffin's ass    LOL