Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

And then there were none - Penn's loss breaks streak

From what I understand, Penn was the last remaining team in the state to have won at least one playoff game each year since the expansion to the all-in format in 1985.  That streak was broken tonight at Chesterton.

Edited by gindie

4 minutes ago, gindie said:

From what I understand, Penn was the last remaining team in the state to have won at least one playoff game each year since the expansion to the all-in format in 1985.  That streak was broken tonight at Chesterton.

You stated a fact, what is the overall point?  Or simply sharing history?

• Confused 1
  • Disdain 1

I think it was a pretty impressive stat that was snapped tonight.   Tough night for Penn (used to have quite the following around here) and big night for Chesterton...

As @johnny U called for the upset, Trojans losses on the year were by very good teams, folks dismissed Trojans bc they lost to Pioneer, no shame in that, but I stick up for small schools. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, gindie said:

Tournament not playoff. 

• Sit and spin 1

Sometimes a program can wait too long to make a change out of respect for long time current coaching staffs.  Munster is a case in point.  The Mustangs have a proud football heritage and for 50 years played under only two head coaches, John Friend and Leroy Marsh.  Coach Marsh ran the program for 35 years and when he finally decided to step aside, he handed over a smoldering heap of excrement to the new staff.  New HC Jason Grunewald is 2-18 since taking over in 2018, including a disastrous 0-10 mark this past season.

And Munster is not just losing, they are getting obliterated. 

Clearly, there was little to no succession planning at Munster.

Penn can and should do better.  They are too big to fail at the level that Munster has, but its time to take a real deep dive into that program and determine if Penn wants to remain an Indiana football powerhouse or just become the next Lake Central.  

MUNSTER

2019 SEASON (0-10)
Coach: Jason Grunewald
Aug. 23   Lake Central L 7 37    
Aug. 30 at Chesterton L 0 40    
Sep. 6   East Chicago Central L 0 16    
Sep. 13   Hammond Morton L 7 69    
Sep. 20 at Highland L 3 30    
Sep. 28 at Andrean L 6 49    
Oct. 4   Lowell L 13 48    
Oct. 11 at Hobart L 0 65    
Oct. 18 at Kankakee Valley L 0 42    
Nov. 1 at Valparaiso L 6 69   sect
2018 SEASON (2-8)
Aug. 17 at Lake Central L 3 10    
Aug. 24   Chesterton L 0 31    
Sep. 1 at East Chicago Central W 48 24    
Sep. 7 at Hammond Morton L 13 25    
Sep. 14   Highland L 20 30    
Sep. 21   Andrean L 0 52    
Sep. 28 at Lowell L 12 21    
Oct. 5   Hobart L 12 49    
Oct. 12   Kankakee Valley W 20 13    
Oct. 26 at Michigan City L 19 72   sect

7 hours ago, DT said:

Sometimes a program can wait too long to make a change out of respect for long time current coaching staffs.  Munster is a case in point.  The Mustangs have a proud football heritage and for 50 years played under only two head coaches, John Friend and Leroy Marsh.  Coach Marsh ran the program for 35 years and when he finally decided to step aside, he handed over a smoldering heap of excrement to the new staff.  New HC Jason Grunewald is 2-18 since taking over in 2018, including a disastrous 0-10 mark this past season.

And Munster is not just losing, they are getting obliterated. 

Clearly, there was little to no succession planning at Munster.

Penn can and should do better.  They are too big to fail at the level that Munster has, but its time to take a real deep dive into that program and determine if Penn wants to remain an Indiana football powerhouse or just become the next Lake Central.  

MUNSTER

2019 SEASON (0-10)
Aug. 23   Lake Central L 7 37    
Aug. 30 at Chesterton L 0 40    
Sep. 6   East Chicago Central L 0 16    
Sep. 13   Hammond Morton L 7 69    
Sep. 20 at Highland L 3 30    
Sep. 28 at Andrean L 6 49    
Oct. 4   Lowell L 13 48    
Oct. 11 at Hobart L 0 65    
Oct. 18 at Kankakee Valley L 0 42    
Nov. 1 at Valparaiso L 6 69   sect
2018 SEASON (2-8)
Aug. 17 at Lake Central L 3 10    
Aug. 24   Chesterton L 0 31    
Sep. 1 at East Chicago Central W 48 24    
Sep. 7 at Hammond Morton L 13 25    
Sep. 14   Highland L 20 30    
Sep. 21   Andrean L 0 52    
Sep. 28 at Lowell L 12 21    
Oct. 5   Hobart L 12 49    
Oct. 12   Kankakee Valley W 20 13    
Oct. 26 at Michigan City L 19 72   sect

Penn in the last 8 years

2 state runner ups

2 semi state titles

5 regional titles

5 sectional titles

Penn eventually was gonna come back to earth at sometime. All schools do. 

By the way. How's new pal doing this year?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

Penn in the last 8 years

2 state runner ups

2 semi state titles

5 regional titles

5 sectional titles

Penn eventually was gonna come back to earth at sometime. All schools do. 

By the way. How's new pal doing this year?

And, the 5 regular season losses this season were to teams who are currently 32-1 and still in the tournament.  4 of those 5 losses were by a total of 6 points (Indy Cathedral being the exception).    And they STILL haven't had a losing season since 1972!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gindie said:

And, the 5 regular season losses this season were to teams who are currently 32-1 and still in the tournament.  4 of those 5 losses were by a total of 6 points (Indy Cathedral being the exception).    And they STILL haven't had a losing season since 1972!

Correction (as I wasn't allowed to edit my post, for some reason):  4 regular season losses            BTW, before Coach Geesman came in 1973, Penn had losing seasons in 9 of its first 13 years.

Edited by gindie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gindie said:

Correction (as I wasn't allowed to edit my post, for some reason):  4 regular season losses            BTW, before Coach Geesman came in 1973, Penn had losing seasons in 9 of its first 13 years.

Penn fans are generally more critical of their own program than are outsiders.  

Just sayin

10 hours ago, gindie said:

Must of been the Bomber years got him right!!   :classic_laugh: