Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Some Luers kids "excited about the move, some kids disappointed," says coach about move back to 2A.

Just tracking the movement in 2A for fun.

6 teams leaving 2A North (2018 Sag Rating):  Oak Hill (46.41), Madison Grant (25.75), River Forest (11.28), Gary Roosevelt (7.83), Taylor (1.32), Lake Station (0.00)

7 teams leaving 2A South (2018 Sag Rating):  Southridge (53.14), Milan (38.28), Knightstown (36.99), Perry Central (30.26), Cloverdale (22.09), Indianapolis Washington (12.74), Park Tudor (6.92)

13 Schools Coming into 2A (2018 Sag Rating):

1.  Pioneer  85.47

2.  FW Bishop Luers 73.22

3.  Andrean 71.11

4.  Monrovia 51.87

5.  Blackford 51.67

6.  LaVille 50.4

7.  Southmont 45.03

8.  Eastside 42.21

9.  South Vermillion 30.71

10.  Wheeler 29.72

11.  Seeger 20.08

12.  Howe 16.45

13.  Fairfield 6.57

2A is losing none of the top 10 Sagarin ratings from last season and only 2 of the top 25.  The top 3 Sagarin ratings coming in would all be in the top 5 of the class based on last season and all 3 of those would figure to end up in the north part of the state.    I bolded the 8 incoming schools you would assume will end up in the north half of the state which means at least 2 of the returning 2A schools will probably shift from north to south since only 6 of the schools leaving went north.  

The bottom line is that the northern route to state figures to get much, much tougher at least based on the very recent history of programs.  Of course, things can change quite a bit year-to-year so who knows.  

Edited by XStar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

yes they were 

which makes WL run last year even more impressive:   Home win vs Andrean, Home Win vs Brebuef, Road win in an interesting field conditions at Luers and beating VERY good Memorial team for State.   

😂 

5 hours ago, Robert said:

I was awaiting the "Luers did nothing in 3a" comments.  Luers was pretty darn good a few of those years and played some pretty darn good teams along the way.  

So your main objective in starting this post was to stir up controversy? Typical

10 hours ago, Robert said:

I was awaiting the "Luers did nothing in 3a" comments.  Luers was pretty darn good a few of those years and played some pretty darn good teams along the way.  

I hear ya! Seems like every school who moves up hears the same XXX did nothing in XXXA comments 😜

Not just in football either...

18 hours ago, BTF said:

So your main objective in starting this post was to stir up controversy? Typical

Absolutely not.  I was sharing the article.  I'm not afraid to share my thoughts, nor are you.  What did happen with those youngsters at Snider?  Did you hear about the Northrop basketball players bullying kids and even throwing urine on them in the bathroom and FWCS does nothing because they're winning?  

Edited by Robert

23 hours ago, Robert said:

Absolutely not.  I was sharing the article.  I'm not afraid to share my thoughts, nor are you.  What did happen with those youngsters at Snider?  Did you hear about the Northrop basketball players bullying kids and even throwing urine on them in the bathroom and FWCS does nothing because they're winning?  

I sometimes think you get caught up in rumors that circulate throughout the hallways. No idea what you're talking about with regard to Snider and don't really care to know. Sounds like drama.  Northrop? Haven't heard anything. Sounds like maybe a rumor gone bad without any pertinent facts.

I thought this was a thread about Bishop Luers? You've got to hand it to those kids who wanted to stay in 3a. I think, for most kids, they would prefer to play up and face the better competition. But it seems most coaches and administrators are happy where they are placed. I don't think most head football coaches are going to voluntarily play up a class. They would rather be on a level playing field than compete with schools that are bigger and have more resources. The athletic directors? I would say it's financial. The further you advance, the more revenue for the athletic department.

Personally, I'm starting to like the 2 year cycle. It gives schools an opportunity to formulate rivalries at two different class levels. It still needs some tweaking though. For many teams, talent comes and goes in two year cycles. A strong junior/senior class wins the state championship at a lower level, therefore pushing the weaker classes behind them up a class. So in many cases the team that won state should have been playing up, and the team that is rebuilding should have been playing down. I'm not sure what the answer is.

23 hours ago, BTF said:

I sometimes think you get caught up in rumors that circulate throughout the hallways. No idea what you're talking about with regard to Snider and don't really care to know. Sounds like drama.  Northrop? Haven't heard anything. Sounds like maybe a rumor gone bad without any pertinent facts.

I thought this was a thread about Bishop Luers? You've got to hand it to those kids who wanted to stay in 3a. I think, for most kids, they would prefer to play up and face the better competition. But it seems most coaches and administrators are happy where they are placed. I don't think most head football coaches are going to voluntarily play up a class. They would rather be on a level playing field than compete with schools that are bigger and have more resources. The athletic directors? I would say it's financial. The further you advance, the more revenue for the athletic department.

Personally, I'm starting to like the 2 year cycle. It gives schools an opportunity to formulate rivalries at two different class levels. It still needs some tweaking though. For many teams, talent comes and goes in two year cycles. A strong junior/senior class wins the state championship at a lower level, therefore pushing the weaker classes behind them up a class. So in many cases the team that won state should have been playing up, and the team that is rebuilding should have been playing down. I'm not sure what the answer is.

I guess they are rumors, but I do know teachers in both buildings.  They generally know about the bs that happens for prized pupils (athletes) who might have behavior issues.  I might have a different perspective since my kids go to Northrop.  The gun at school all day rumor certainly came to be true. 

I’d like the coaches’ cycle recommendation. 

My best friends stepson goes to Northrop and says the urine incident is absolutely true. He also showed me a video he personally took of a brawl in the restroom that would make the MMA proud. He said just another day at Northrop.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:58 AM, BTF said:

I don't think most head football coaches are going to voluntarily play up a class. They would rather be on a level playing field than compete with schools that are bigger and have more resources.

I think many would argue that 3A is the level playing field and not the 2A where they go to the state finals every other year no matter what.  They were very competitive with some great 3A teams.  

Really, I think the decision should be left to the returning players.  I can respect that they'd rather play better teams and more competitive football where success is a bigger challenge and not as much of a guarantee.  

Edited by XStar

4 hours ago, XStar said:

I think many would argue that 3A is the level playing field and not the 2A where they go to the state finals every other year no matter what.    

Without a doubt, Bishop Luers in it's current state, is a 3a caliber program. It always has been, and probably always will be. And it's just a matter of time before they get that championship at the 3a level. Coincidentally, they seem to have up years when they are in 2a (hence the 11 state championships) and down years when they are in 3a.

On 3/7/2019 at 12:28 PM, Robert said:

They dropped back down because of enrollment. Luers did well in 3A no reason to say they didn't do anything.