Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 40 Final: (7-4) Mater Dei @ (8-3) Linton

Even before the tournament draw a lot of people felt this was Mater Dei's sectional to lose, and the big dog is still standing at the top of the heap.  Basically the only question was who would be their opponent in the final.   A good majority of fans felt it would be Tell City, but the virus reared its ugly head and changed those plans.   Others felt it would be Linton and here they are hosting MD this Friday night for the hardware.   Since moving up to 2A this will be Linton's first opportunity to play for the sectional championship.  They have lost in the first or second rounds in previous years.   Harrell is predicting a 28 - 24 Mater Dei win.   With their SOS and their record against that SOS, who could argue with that prediction?  Since losing to North Knox, the Miners have played some really good ball the past few weeks.  However, they will need to protect the ball and keep the penalties low.   The offense, defense, AND special teams will all have to contribute if they are to stay in the game and even have a chance to win it.   Playing for (and winning) sectional 40 is nothing new to MD.  For them this is, "been there, done that".   I am looking forward to a good game.  Good health to all players, coaches, and fans.  

Edited by itiswhatitis

Looks like this will be another good game.  Both teams are playing some of their best football and have improved over the last 6 games, or so.

If I understand correctly, Linton plays on natural grass so field conditions could play a role.  Weather is supposed to oblige, with little rain in forecast. So as long as field has not been torn up too much over course of season, playing conditions should not be a factor. 

Any idea if fans will be allowed or if game will be live-streamed on internet?  Would love to be able to "see" this one, even we cannot attend in person.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Looks like this will be another good game.  Both teams are playing some of their best football and have improved over the last 6 games, or so.

If I understand correctly, Linton plays on natural grass so field conditions could play a role.  Weather is supposed to oblige, with little rain in forecast. So as long as field has not been torn up too much over course of season, playing conditions should not be a factor. 

Any idea if fans will be allowed or if game will be live-streamed on internet?  Would love to be able to "see" this one, even we cannot attend in person.

I have heard the fans "decision" will be made by Wednesday.   The field was a bit on the wet side last night from Thursday's rain,  but from what I could see it didn't get too torn up.   This is the year that Linton only played 3 home games on their schedule and every week the weather was dry.   So I am guessing the field won't be all that bad for this game.

2 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I have heard the fans "decision" will be made by Wednesday.   The field was a bit on the wet side last night from Thursday's rain,  but from what I could see it didn't get too torn up.   This is the year that Linton only played 3 home games on their schedule and every week the weather was dry.   So I am guessing the field won't be all that bad for this game.

Sorry for the typo.  That should have said Linton played 4 home games NOT 3.  My bad.  But the weather was dry all 4 games.  Didn't get much rain this year.

So far it is looking like people are taking MD by 3 - 12 points.   Harrell picks them by 4.   As I said earlier, the Miners will need to play mistake free.  Nothing like last year when the very first play of the game was a pick 6 TD for MD and the game just went downhill from there for the Miners   The Miners need to make MD earn it and not give up any gifts.   That should make the game a bit more interesting and more than likely keep things closer.  We all know MD is the better team, but in a close game you just sometimes never know.  A bounce here, a bounce there and the team that was supposed to win, doesn't.

9 hours ago, kingtut said:

We won't know about that until later in the week.  It will be live streamed on GCSN.

I hope so. I just know a that I haven't been able to go watch my team play all year.  The live streams are good, when they are on and work ( no coverage last week and the week before the coverage quit playing halfway through the first quarter and didn't come back on.) But, it's just not the same. Anyhow good luck to both teams.

• Like 1

These teams have played each other the past 2 years in the tournament.   2 years ago at Linton Mater Dei won, 40-21.  Last year at the Reitz Bowl Mater Dei won 44-20.   So for the third year in a row they will face each other only this time it's for the sectional championship.   Here's hoping there's no 40 points laid down this year.  The Miners are a very young team but have  played the past several weeks like a veteran team.  They need to continue that type of play to be in this game.   This is for the sectional title.  There should be no need for motivation.   These are the kind of games you remember for your lifetime.  This is going to be a l-o-n-g week!

9 hours ago, CheapSeats said:

West Side Catholics 35 Greene County All Stars 20

I'd say there might be a Posey County or Gibson County Catholic in there as well. Feeder schools in three counties and I doubt they all consider themselves west siders

7 minutes ago, kingtut said:

Our Dugger boys are from Sullivan County. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Cappy said:

I'd say there might be a Posey County or Gibson County Catholic in there as well. Feeder schools in three counties and I doubt they all consider themselves west siders

Its safe to say that both teams have more of a regional type roster as opposed to a small town team.