Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 40 Final: (7-4) Mater Dei @ (8-3) Linton

Since I have been unable to actually attend a Mater Dei game this season and have never seen the Miners play, my non-expert, totally un-educated guess is MD 24-14.  This is based entirely on my being an MD fan & admitted “homer” so take for as little as it is worth.   

Best of luck to both teams for a well-played and injury free game and may all fans travel safely.  We have all had more than enough to deal with in 2020 already!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mater Dei scores 25.9 points per game and gives up 13.5

Linton scores 35.1 points per game and gives up 17.8

One interesting thing about Linton's offense this year is their red zone scoring.   I am not sure what it is exactly now, but a couple of weeks ago it was something like 23 out of 28 times in the red zone they scored TD's.  I'm sure Miner Pride will be on later and give us all of the stats for the 2 teams.

49 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Mater Dei scores 25.9 points per game and gives up 13.5

Linton scores 35.1 points per game and gives up 17.8

One interesting thing about Linton's offense this year is their red zone scoring.   I am not sure what it is exactly now, but a couple of weeks ago it was something like 23 out of 28 times in the red zone they scored TD's.  I'm sure Miner Pride will be on later and give us all of the stats for the 2 teams.

In MD's last 6 they are averaging 40.1 and giving up 12.3. Some of those 12.3 are garbage points against MD's 2nd & 3rd string. I don't think you want to use points scored and points allowed as a reliable metric when trying to gauge Mater Dei. Some of the teams they play in their regular season schedule (Central, Castle, Memorial, Jasper) make it difficult to compare L-S and MD that way. My gut feeling is that the Miners will need some breaks, MD miscues, turnovers, etc. to stay in the game, and that can happen, but MD is pretty sound. They will bring it to you for a full 4 quarters and seem to get stronger as the game goes on. Even if you get an early lead they will keep coming as North Knox saw. That game started as well as it could for North Knox going up 12-0 early, but then MD proceeded to outscore them 30-7 the rest of the way. MD also doesn't have 1 or 2 superstars that you can key on. They have several solid kids that can make plays from anywhere on the field.

Not going to predict a score, but I will say based on the past 2 years and this year I feel like this year is the best chance Linton has to compete with Mater Dei. This is the first Linton team since probably the state team that I’ve looked at and said this team is playing some solid football. I am not saying they’re near the caliber of the state team or that they’re going to beat Mater Dei I just feel they’re playing really good right now and can definitely be competitive. Obviously that could all change in an instant with covid and talking about 16-18 year old kids. 

On 11/1/2020 at 10:59 AM, kingtut said:

We won't know about that until later in the week.  It will be live streamed on GCSN.

we aren't video streaming, and I apologize because I know people would rather see than hear, but if you want the history, knowledge, stats n facts you will tune in 93.3 FM WQTY.FM, or online at https://www.wqtyradio.com/ .   FOlks have told me countless time how they'd love to listen to us while watching them, but evidently the delay is beyond repair.

10 hours ago, CheapSeats said:

Its safe to say that both teams have more of a regional type roster as opposed to a small town team.

it is very safe to say that Linton football IS small town football.  It is even more safe to be that most every kid on that team is a Linton kid.  Even if we could pool together all of Greene County we'd certainly not match the talent pool in Evansville.  LEt's not forget Linton had two 3-year starters decide NOT to play this year!

On 10/31/2020 at 11:14 AM, MDAlum82 said:

So as long as field has not been torn up too much over course of season, playing conditions should not be a factor. 

As I walked the Roy last week pregame, and again post game, lemme say the field was deceiving.  While it was very green, and nice long grass, it was very muddy under the blades.  A few spots were pure blobs of mud.  I saw several backs lose footing making cuts, lineman spinning out on the snap, receiving and defenders slipping on pass plays, and tacklers dialing in on perfect hits only to step and fall. As the game rode on, the field was more tore up and sloshy.... but.... a week without more moisture, and some nice sunshine as well will likely dry up any issues.  Many folks think Mater Dei having to play on a natural surface benefits the Miners...this because the Wildcats play a lot of game on Turf.  THey DID put 30 on NK last week on natural grass...and muddy at that.  I would be more concerned with Linton playing on turf... but honestly linton played well at Boonville and Providence.... not so well as Southridge, but I think natural or artificial, week one was a different situation.   If anything, a bad muddy field would prolly affect a passing team... and while the MIners have had decent numbers and some solid passing games, it still isn't  what the hat is hung on.  Mater Dei looks to line up 3 and 4 receivers per play and appear to have about 1000 more passing yards than linton.   But my ol' man always told me that the Offense has  the advantage in bad weather... they know the play.   To sum up--- I think the field will be in fine shape other than the well worn places typical of late season runs.  I will say we were blessed all year to have football...but also to have perfect weather until week 10 at Tell City... so the Roy looked great last week...  keep in mind too-- the Youth League and the JV played all year too.  

7 hours ago, South Paw said:

In MD's last 6 they are averaging 40.1 and giving up 12.3. Some of those 12.3 are garbage points against MD's 2nd & 3rd string. I don't think you want to use points scored and points allowed as a reliable metric when trying to gauge Mater Dei. Some of the teams they play in their regular season schedule (Central, Castle, Memorial, Jasper) make it difficult to compare L-S ahnd MD that way. My gut feeling is that the Miners will need some breaks, MD miscues, turnovers, etc. to stay in the game, and that can happen, but MD is pretty sound. They will bring it to you for a full 4 quarters and seem to get stronger as the game goes on. Even if you get an early lead they will keep coming as North Knox saw. That game started as well as it could for North Knox going up 12-0 early, but then MD proceeded to outscore them 30-7 the rest of the way. MD also doesn't have 1 or 2 superstars that you can key on. They have several solid kids that can make plays from anywhere on the field.

_Yeah I will agree here.   We (Linton that is)... really cannot go argue about strength of schedule, or who we've played or beat...   Mater Dei will win all those conversations.   They were 1-4 going into week 6.  3 point losses  to 5A Castle...now playing in Sectional 15 Championship. and to Memorial...8-3 and playing for sectional 24 title.. against unbeaten Central, whom beat these Wildcats just 21-0.  Yeah..I know.. 21-0 isn't great.. but it is considering Central's typical offensive output per week.  The other loss was to 7-3 4A Jasper.  Now....I am a die-hard Linton fan, but I think we'd prolly lose to those four.  THey've run 6 in a row since the Jasper loss, most impressive being the first loss penned on 5A then undefeated EVansville North 21-13. Now I realize the Huskies had lost their QB... but still 29-14 means the offense moved the ball.  Then it was the usual suspects--Bosse and Harrison before a big win over 4-7 Reitz.   

Really, since Southridge moved up due to success factor last year, the Wildcats had a relative ease reaching Regionals in 2019.  LInton came in 9-1, winners of 9 in a row with a seasoned senior roster only to be down in 1 play, and smothered so quickly the game was all but over in the 1st quarter.  It truly was a disappointing outing for those kids, and all Miner Fans who made that trip to a cold cold Reitz Bowl...  And really from that moment on the Miner coaching staff has tried to prepare LInton to face Mater Dei.  I agree again with South Paw... Linton cannot have turnovers...but worse yet, we cannot have self made turnovers---hand-off confusion that see the ball just there for the taking;  forcing a pass into a pack trying to make something happen.  We also cannot have passes put on the nose that are dropped, particularly in the open field!  We can't have a 3rd and 2 become a 3rd and 7 on a false start; can't have a late hit out of bounds; and cannot have a blown coverage that leads to an easy Mater Dei passing TD. 

What we do have to see happen for Linton is the ability to run the ball.  Last year they WIldcats dang near took some hand-offs out of Goodman's hands...and Lannan was hit several times just after getting the ball.  Our offense... well anyone's offense, can't function with the opponent dominating up front.  Goodman had no time to pass... we just were shut down offensively except for 1 or 2 plays.  Turnovers and special teams destroyed LInton.  More than one person, not of Linton loyalty, said post-game that Linton had actually done a decent job defensively.... but the offense has to be a factor.  Gennicks at QB has a lot more mobility and deception being small, but being stronger that what he appears even as a sophomore.  LInton has been good as of late against the run...really for the most part of the year.  North Knox pounded Linton on the ground, and NK had some success pounding the ball against MD last week with Sheren at 207 himself...

but the Wildcats have been in big plays...  they play big games and big environments every week.  The SIAC has that. Evansville isn't out in the sticks.  We in Miner Land certainly have tried to make the schedule more challenging, but it's never going to equal what Mater Dei plays.  Just how it is.  I though NK came out strong... and at 12-0 at home... they had all the mo.... but MD isn't going to be rattled by such things.  As said... 4 quarters.   Going by MaxPreps.. which isn't updated with NK game yet... it does appear that there are multiple weapons.. but it sure looks like #25 Pierre has the bulk of the rushes and yards.  120 carries with the next highest at 23 (#10 Humphrey).  Is that correct!?!   THe passing is confusing too...the passing yards under the QBs is way less that the passing yards of the Receivers...  so... not sure the story there.  I'll investigate... but it looks like perhaps someone is missing from stats.  It's obvious though that #17 Wunderlich is the QB and has been during these last several games. I don't know if a change occurred, but Pierre has become more of a factor, and in fact I didn't see him in a couple games in the rushing totals.    LInton, since bringing in Gennicks at QB, moving Goodman to WB certainly found their offense.   Padgett finally got on the field in week 3 and brought the outside threat.  Smith handles those hard nosed inside runs, and we've seen Johns and Eslinger contribute as well.  

Where I get scared in pass defense.  This is an area that seems to allow some big plays to happen when facing a big passing team.  I don't know if that is Mater Dei's forte or not. I see big passing numbers earlier in year, then a change, and a 6 game winning streak and more rushing.  BUt it may be in their competition level in those games.  Either way... Linton has done pretty good against the run games since the North Knox debacle, and saw a lot of passing from North Posey last week.  We did see a lot interceptions, an have seen a lot from Miner DB's.  I know we will feel the loss of DeBruhl at DT, as well as OT.  Hurt in 1st qtr at Tell City, and not dressed last week.  He was a solid force in the middle.  I know he did not suffer a break which was great news indeed, but he sure did not look like someone who might be back this year.  We can't have injuries... that goes without saying... we have 42 kids listed...of those a handful are out.  MD has 64 listed, and I'm sure a few out as well.  But that gives the WIldcats a size-able gap in players in the 20 range.  Looks like they may have three 2-Way players...  This helps a team in a 4-quarter game.  LInton has tried to increase depth, and has had success in that development.  Losing DeBruhl hurts that..but at this stage of the season you put you best 11 out there every play right?  I see too that Wunderlich and Pierre are just sophomores as well, It seems both teams are pretty young really... LInton with 5 seniors... I have to see what MD actually has.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that we get to this kickoff without anyone being lost to this virus quarantine or worse.    

2 hours ago, jets said:

Someone else will eventually have to beat MD at some point in this sectional. 

Linton is too good of a program to continually no-show vs MD. They’ll get it figured out soon enough. Maybe this year?? 

It reminds me of our time in 1A trying to get past perennial southern 1A kingpin Perry Central... they always ended out season, then we won and crossed that bridge.  then we became the southern 1A dogs.  I'll never forget a running clock at Perry in a post season game I just never thought I would ever see that happen in PC. Good to see they are back in the mix in 1A.    But it also reminds me of the semi-state clashes with Ritter and Scecina.. and just never getting that big game.  Now we sit in 2A...  Both the Raiders and Wildcats have handled us these past years... we simply have to get to those standards to get to that level...   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

It reminds me of our time in 1A trying to get past perennial southern 1A kingpin Perry Central... they always ended out season, then we won and crossed that bridge.  then we became the southern 1A dogs.  I'll never forget a running clock at Perry in a post season game I just never thought I would ever see that happen in PC. Good to see they are back in the mix in 1A.    But it also reminds me of the semi-state clashes with Ritter and Scecina.. and just never getting that big game.  Now we sit in 2A...  Both the Raiders and Wildcats have handled us these past years... we simply have to get to those standards to get to that level...   

I have been feeling the same way Miner Pride.  When they were in 1A it took the Miners a while to get past Perry Central.  Then it got to the point of the Miners controlling sectional 48 for several years.  They became the favorites just about every year as is Mater Dei now in sectional 40.   Linton is still a young program in 2A.  They have only been in 2A just a few years.  They figured out how to win sectional 48 in 1A and they will get it figured out how to win sectional 40 also.  The  Miner coaching staff is too good not to make it happen.  As you said and many of us have said this year, the Miners are a young team this season.   I think about the season they have had this year and then think about next year and all of those sophomores and juniors will  be another year experienced and another year older and stronger.  No matter what happens this year, I'm looking forward to next year as the season the Miners rise up and start  making some noise in 40.  It will be a more veteran team and I expect them to do well.  I hate to say, "wait until next year", but I think in this case it fits.  I'm not counting them out his year because they haven't played the game yet, but I believe next year they will have the best team they have had since moving up to 2A.

16 hours ago, South Paw said:

In MD's last 6 they are averaging 40.1 and giving up 12.3. Some of those 12.3 are garbage points against MD's 2nd & 3rd string. I don't think you want to use points scored and points allowed as a reliable metric when trying to gauge Mater Dei. Some of the teams they play in their regular season schedule (Central, Castle, Memorial, Jasper) make it difficult to compare L-S and MD that way. My gut feeling is that the Miners will need some breaks, MD miscues, turnovers, etc. to stay in the game, and that can happen, but MD is pretty sound. They will bring it to you for a full 4 quarters and seem to get stronger as the game goes on. Even if you get an early lead they will keep coming as North Knox saw. That game started as well as it could for North Knox going up 12-0 early, but then MD proceeded to outscore them 30-7 the rest of the way. MD also doesn't have 1 or 2 superstars that you can key on. They have several solid kids that can make plays from anywhere on the field.

I was only posting those numbers for the season as information.  Not really comparing the two or using it as a metric.   In their last 4 games the Miners have averaged 41 and given up 6.5.  In their last 6 they have averaged 38 and given up 10.8 and that includes a 27 - 14 loss to North Knox.  People have mentioned that both MD and Linton have been playing some good ball the past several weeks.  You look at how they are scoring and defending and it is telling.  The Miners do not have 1 or 2 superstars either.  They have several backs that can go for 100 in any given game including the QB who is only a sophomore this year.  You don't have to convince me how sound MD is.  They have been a solid program for years.   Now that the Miners are in 2A, that is where they are trying to get to.   They will get there eventually.    Not to sound like a homer but. the Miners have a pretty decent program themselves.

10 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

_Yeah I will agree here.   We (Linton that is)... really cannot go argue about strength of schedule, or who we've played or beat...   Mater Dei will win all those conversations.   They were 1-4 going into week 6.  3 point losses  to 5A Castle...now playing in Sectional 15 Championship. and to Memorial...8-3 and playing for sectional 24 title.. against unbeaten Central, whom beat these Wildcats just 21-0.  Yeah..I know.. 21-0 isn't great.. but it is considering Central's typical offensive output per week.  The other loss was to 7-3 4A Jasper.  Now....I am a die-hard Linton fan, but I think we'd prolly lose to those four.  THey've run 6 in a row since the Jasper loss, most impressive being the first loss penned on 5A then undefeated EVansville North 21-13. Now I realize the Huskies had lost their QB... but still 29-14 means the offense moved the ball.  Then it was the usual suspects--Bosse and Harrison before a big win over 4-7 Reitz.   

Really, since Southridge moved up due to success factor last year, the Wildcats had a relative ease reaching Regionals in 2019.  LInton came in 9-1, winners of 9 in a row with a seasoned senior roster only to be down in 1 play, and smothered so quickly the game was all but over in the 1st quarter.  It truly was a disappointing outing for those kids, and all Miner Fans who made that trip to a cold cold Reitz Bowl...  And really from that moment on the Miner coaching staff has tried to prepare LInton to face Mater Dei.  I agree again with South Paw... Linton cannot have turnovers...but worse yet, we cannot have self made turnovers---hand-off confusion that see the ball just there for the taking;  forcing a pass into a pack trying to make something happen.  We also cannot have passes put on the nose that are dropped, particularly in the open field!  We can't have a 3rd and 2 become a 3rd and 7 on a false start; can't have a late hit out of bounds; and cannot have a blown coverage that leads to an easy Mater Dei passing TD. 

What we do have to see happen for Linton is the ability to run the ball.  Last year they WIldcats dang near took some hand-offs out of Goodman's hands...and Lannan was hit several times just after getting the ball.  Our offense... well anyone's offense, can't function with the opponent dominating up front.  Goodman had no time to pass... we just were shut down offensively except for 1 or 2 plays.  Turnovers and special teams destroyed LInton.  More than one person, not of Linton loyalty, said post-game that Linton had actually done a decent job defensively.... but the offense has to be a factor.  Gennicks at QB has a lot more mobility and deception being small, but being stronger that what he appears even as a sophomore.  LInton has been good as of late against the run...really for the most part of the year.  North Knox pounded Linton on the ground, and NK had some success pounding the ball against MD last week with Sheren at 207 himself...

but the Wildcats have been in big plays...  they play big games and big environments every week.  The SIAC has that. Evansville isn't out in the sticks.  We in Miner Land certainly have tried to make the schedule more challenging, but it's never going to equal what Mater Dei plays.  Just how it is.  I though NK came out strong... and at 12-0 at home... they had all the mo.... but MD isn't going to be rattled by such things.  As said... 4 quarters.   Going by MaxPreps.. which isn't updated with NK game yet... it does appear that there are multiple weapons.. but it sure looks like #25 Pierre has the bulk of the rushes and yards.  120 carries with the next highest at 23 (#10 Humphrey).  Is that correct!?!   THe passing is confusing too...the passing yards under the QBs is way less that the passing yards of the Receivers...  so... not sure the story there.  I'll investigate... but it looks like perhaps someone is missing from stats.  It's obvious though that #17 Wunderlich is the QB and has been during these last several games. I don't know if a change occurred, but Pierre has become more of a factor, and in fact I didn't see him in a couple games in the rushing totals.    LInton, since bringing in Gennicks at QB, moving Goodman to WB certainly found their offense.   Padgett finally got on the field in week 3 and brought the outside threat.  Smith handles those hard nosed inside runs, and we've seen Johns and Eslinger contribute as well.  

Where I get scared in pass defense.  This is an area that seems to allow some big plays to happen when facing a big passing team.  I don't know if that is Mater Dei's forte or not. I see big passing numbers earlier in year, then a change, and a 6 game winning streak and more rushing.  BUt it may be in their competition level in those games.  Either way... Linton has done pretty good against the run games since the North Knox debacle, and saw a lot of passing from North Posey last week.  We did see a lot interceptions, an have seen a lot from Miner DB's.  I know we will feel the loss of DeBruhl at DT, as well as OT.  Hurt in 1st qtr at Tell City, and not dressed last week.  He was a solid force in the middle.  I know he did not suffer a break which was great news indeed, but he sure did not look like someone who might be back this year.  We can't have injuries... that goes without saying... we have 42 kids listed...of those a handful are out.  MD has 64 listed, and I'm sure a few out as well.  But that gives the WIldcats a size-able gap in players in the 20 range.  Looks like they may have three 2-Way players...  This helps a team in a 4-quarter game.  LInton has tried to increase depth, and has had success in that development.  Losing DeBruhl hurts that..but at this stage of the season you put you best 11 out there every play right?  I see too that Wunderlich and Pierre are just sophomores as well, It seems both teams are pretty young really... LInton with 5 seniors... I have to see what MD actually has.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that we get to this kickoff without anyone being lost to this virus quarantine or worse.    

Wunderlich has been the QB since the get go.  Looks like some of the passing stats haven't been entered in MaxPreps for some reason.  Same for Pierre.  He's been the starting RB since week 1, but missed a couple of games late in the season with an injury but is back to what appears to be 100%.  Both are sophomores and I think they were thrown to the wolves the first few weeks against Central, Memorial, Castle and Jasper and took a while for them to adjust to the speed of varsity football.  They have both improved so much as the season has gone on.

1 hour ago, RoadRunner said:

https://www.ihsaatv.org/?B=205187

Game will be streamed on IHSAATV.org

well hopefully our little radio broadcast will still reach in the land of video feeds!   I honestly don't know where two video stream crews are gonna set up in our little booth at Linton along with our radio, visitor film, and home coaches all in that booth! 

45 minutes ago, JQWL said:

What is the current ticket situation for this game? Pre-sale only or any available at the gate Friday?

Prolly wont know til Wednesday.... and based on what the state health dept 'colors' us.  Orange last week meant only players, parents and cheerleaders...  

31 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

Wunderlich has been the QB since the get go.  Looks like some of the passing stats haven't been entered in MaxPreps for some reason.  Same for Pierre.  He's been the starting RB since week 1, but missed a couple of games late in the season with an injury but is back to what appears to be 100%.  Both are sophomores and I think they were thrown to the wolves the first few weeks against Central, Memorial, Castle and Jasper and took a while for them to adjust to the speed of varsity football.  They have both improved so much as the season has gone on.

I went back and looked through some of the Evansville paper write ups and some of the TV station recaps.... and saw Wunderlich for sure at QB in game 1.  The Max Preps is messed up.  I requested stats from MD... you can look at some early games and see big passing numbers but no QB listed.. or no passing stats entered... yet a list of receivers and their catches from the same game.    Frustrating from a broadcaster pov.. .trying to get a good representation of the opponent.

59 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

well hopefully our little radio broadcast will still reach in the land of video feeds!   I honestly don't know where two video stream crews are gonna set up in our little booth at Linton along with our radio, visitor film, and home coaches all in that booth! 

Prolly wont know til Wednesday.... and based on what the state health dept 'colors' us.  Orange last week meant only players, parents and cheerleaders...  

Thank you sir. I traveled to The Bowl last year for this game and was hoping to recreate my experience. Hopefully, I'll find someplace if this is a No-Go.

15 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

we aren't video streaming, and I apologize because I know people would rather see than hear, but if you want the history, knowledge, stats n facts you will tune in 93.3 FM WQTY.FM, or online at https://www.wqtyradio.com/ .   FOlks have told me countless time how they'd love to listen to us while watching them, but evidently the delay is beyond repair.

Yes, Dan, I certainly wish I could listen to you guys on the radio and watch the stream.   There is a device one can buy to allow this.  It is called a sports sinc radio.  I used to have one but it quit working.  I could adjust the radio for delay on the TV to sinch with the radio broadcast.  I will probably get another one sometime.  BTW, last Friday was the first time I ever watched a home game on stream.  Since the camera was on the visiting side I couldn't see the yards or down markers.  So in addition to never knowing the time left, I didn't know the down or first down yardage.  The announcers rarely mention any of that.  Of course, that's really not important. :-).  I can't remember when I last missed a Miner home game.  Many years ago.   

13 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I have been feeling the same way Miner Pride.  When they were in 1A it took the Miners a while to get past Perry Central.  Then it got to the point of the Miners controlling sectional 48 for several years.  They became the favorites just about every year as is Mater Dei now in sectional 40.   Linton is still a young program in 2A.  They have only been in 2A just a few years.  They figured out how to win sectional 48 in 1A and they will get it figured out how to win sectional 40 also.  The  Miner coaching staff is too good not to make it happen.  As you said and many of us have said this year, the Miners are a young team this season.   I think about the season they have had this year and then think about next year and all of those sophomores and juniors will  be another year experienced and another year older and stronger.  No matter what happens this year, I'm looking forward to next year as the season the Miners rise up and start  making some noise in 40.  It will be a more veteran team and I expect them to do well.  I hate to say, "wait until next year", but I think in this case it fits.  I'm not counting them out his year because they haven't played the game yet, but I believe next year they will have the best team they have had since moving up to 2A.

I agree that MD is NEVER out of the sectional conversation. But I’m not sure I’d label them favorites every year. Going back to ‘07 (year after MD spent a 4 year hiatus in 3A) - I believe that it is an even 5-5 split between the Raiders and MD, when both are present in the same sectional. 

Just now, jets said:

I agree that MD is NEVER out of the sectional conversation. But I’m not sure I’d label them favorites every year. Going back to ‘07 (year after MD spent a 4 year hiatus in 3A) - I believe that it is an even 5-5 split between the Raiders and MD, when both are present in the same sectional. 

No...I meant with Southridge out of 40.   in 2a southridge is at very least always a fave