Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 40 Final: (7-4) Mater Dei @ (8-3) Linton

9 hours ago, jets said:

I agree that MD is NEVER out of the sectional conversation. But I’m not sure I’d label them favorites every year. Going back to ‘07 (year after MD spent a 4 year hiatus in 3A) - I believe that it is an even 5-5 split between the Raiders and MD, when both are present in the same sectional. 

I just meant recently since Southridge has been in 3A, MD has been the favorite.   From 1999  to 2016, Linton or Perry Central won sectional 48 every year except 2003 when Tecumseh won it.  Linton won it in 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 - 2016.  Perry Central won it 1999 - 2002, 2005. 2006, and 2010.  So those 2 were dominate in 48 like Southridge and MD have been dominate in 40.  Linton was totally dominate before they moved up to 2A (2017) winning it 6 straight years.  You see a team win their sectional 3 years in a row and think "great class" during that time frame.  However when you see a team win it 6 years in a row you think, "great program", or at least I would think most people would feel that way.  It's always a given when teams win multiple state titles they are considered great programs.   However, I have considered some programs great with lesser titles because multiple state titles are fewer and far between for most schools even the great programs.

22 hours ago, JQWL said:

Thank you sir. I traveled to The Bowl last year for this game and was hoping to recreate my experience. Hopefully, I'll find someplace if this is a No-Go.

How many years has it been since we've met!!!  I'm sure it was at Springs Valley... altho we exchanged emails quite a while!!  HOpe all is well!

On 11/2/2020 at 10:11 PM, Miner_Pride said:

_Yeah I will agree here.   We (Linton that is)... really cannot go argue about strength of schedule, or who we've played or beat...   Mater Dei will win all those conversations.   They were 1-4 going into week 6.  3 point losses  to 5A Castle...now playing in Sectional 15 Championship. and to Memorial...8-3 and playing for sectional 24 title.. against unbeaten Central, whom beat these Wildcats just 21-0.  Yeah..I know.. 21-0 isn't great.. but it is considering Central's typical offensive output per week.  The other loss was to 7-3 4A Jasper.  Now....I am a die-hard Linton fan, but I think we'd prolly lose to those four.  THey've run 6 in a row since the Jasper loss, most impressive being the first loss penned on 5A then undefeated EVansville North 21-13. Now I realize the Huskies had lost their QB... but still 29-14 means the offense moved the ball.  Then it was the usual suspects--Bosse and Harrison before a big win over 4-7 Reitz.   

Really, since Southridge moved up due to success factor last year, the Wildcats had a relative ease reaching Regionals in 2019.  LInton came in 9-1, winners of 9 in a row with a seasoned senior roster only to be down in 1 play, and smothered so quickly the game was all but over in the 1st quarter.  It truly was a disappointing outing for those kids, and all Miner Fans who made that trip to a cold cold Reitz Bowl...  And really from that moment on the Miner coaching staff has tried to prepare LInton to face Mater Dei.  I agree again with South Paw... Linton cannot have turnovers...but worse yet, we cannot have self made turnovers---hand-off confusion that see the ball just there for the taking;  forcing a pass into a pack trying to make something happen.  We also cannot have passes put on the nose that are dropped, particularly in the open field!  We can't have a 3rd and 2 become a 3rd and 7 on a false start; can't have a late hit out of bounds; and cannot have a blown coverage that leads to an easy Mater Dei passing TD. 

What we do have to see happen for Linton is the ability to run the ball.  Last year they WIldcats dang near took some hand-offs out of Goodman's hands...and Lannan was hit several times just after getting the ball.  Our offense... well anyone's offense, can't function with the opponent dominating up front.  Goodman had no time to pass... we just were shut down offensively except for 1 or 2 plays.  Turnovers and special teams destroyed LInton.  More than one person, not of Linton loyalty, said post-game that Linton had actually done a decent job defensively.... but the offense has to be a factor.  Gennicks at QB has a lot more mobility and deception being small, but being stronger that what he appears even as a sophomore.  LInton has been good as of late against the run...really for the most part of the year.  North Knox pounded Linton on the ground, and NK had some success pounding the ball against MD last week with Sheren at 207 himself...

but the Wildcats have been in big plays...  they play big games and big environments every week.  The SIAC has that. Evansville isn't out in the sticks.  We in Miner Land certainly have tried to make the schedule more challenging, but it's never going to equal what Mater Dei plays.  Just how it is.  I though NK came out strong... and at 12-0 at home... they had all the mo.... but MD isn't going to be rattled by such things.  As said... 4 quarters.   Going by MaxPreps.. which isn't updated with NK game yet... it does appear that there are multiple weapons.. but it sure looks like #25 Pierre has the bulk of the rushes and yards.  120 carries with the next highest at 23 (#10 Humphrey).  Is that correct!?!   THe passing is confusing too...the passing yards under the QBs is way less that the passing yards of the Receivers...  so... not sure the story there.  I'll investigate... but it looks like perhaps someone is missing from stats.  It's obvious though that #17 Wunderlich is the QB and has been during these last several games. I don't know if a change occurred, but Pierre has become more of a factor, and in fact I didn't see him in a couple games in the rushing totals.    LInton, since bringing in Gennicks at QB, moving Goodman to WB certainly found their offense.   Padgett finally got on the field in week 3 and brought the outside threat.  Smith handles those hard nosed inside runs, and we've seen Johns and Eslinger contribute as well.  

Where I get scared in pass defense.  This is an area that seems to allow some big plays to happen when facing a big passing team.  I don't know if that is Mater Dei's forte or not. I see big passing numbers earlier in year, then a change, and a 6 game winning streak and more rushing.  BUt it may be in their competition level in those games.  Either way... Linton has done pretty good against the run games since the North Knox debacle, and saw a lot of passing from North Posey last week.  We did see a lot interceptions, an have seen a lot from Miner DB's.  I know we will feel the loss of DeBruhl at DT, as well as OT.  Hurt in 1st qtr at Tell City, and not dressed last week.  He was a solid force in the middle.  I know he did not suffer a break which was great news indeed, but he sure did not look like someone who might be back this year.  We can't have injuries... that goes without saying... we have 42 kids listed...of those a handful are out.  MD has 64 listed, and I'm sure a few out as well.  But that gives the WIldcats a size-able gap in players in the 20 range.  Looks like they may have three 2-Way players...  This helps a team in a 4-quarter game.  LInton has tried to increase depth, and has had success in that development.  Losing DeBruhl hurts that..but at this stage of the season you put you best 11 out there every play right?  I see too that Wunderlich and Pierre are just sophomores as well, It seems both teams are pretty young really... LInton with 5 seniors... I have to see what MD actually has.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that we get to this kickoff without anyone being lost to this virus quarantine or worse.    

even though they outscored us 30-7...we had the lead at 19-16 late in the third quarter...they game was a 23-19 game until 2 minutes left...when they scored as we were switching defenses on the field...It was a really close game...and if someone else says different...i will watch with them and they can tell me when MD had the game in hand until the last2 minutes...they beat us...they are physical, which no one else has been to us this year...They will give Linton a hard time...I am not sure it will be close, but, the game hasn't been played yet...so, who knows!

4 minutes ago, NorthKnox94 said:

even though they outscored us 30-7...we had the lead at 19-16 late in the third quarter...they game was a 23-19 game until 2 minutes left...when they scored as we were switching defenses on the field...It was a really close game...and if someone else says different...i will watch with them and they can tell me when MD had the game in hand until the last2 minutes...they beat us...they are physical, which no one else has been to us this year...They will give Linton a hard time...I am not sure it will be close, but, the game hasn't been played yet...so, who knows!

It was a fantastic game. I was really impressed with the way the North Knox offense came out and took it to MD in the 1st quarter. It looked like MD was going to be in for a long night if they couldn't get their defense off the field. Hats off to North Knox. That was a very good team. Congrats on a very good season.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NorthKnox94 said:

Yeah I thought NK taking that opening drive down and scoring.. then being up 12-0 at home... man.. I really though the Warriors were set up for a big win.  A couple big things for the Wildcats---  fake punt to convert a long 4th down....  and of course that huge 80+ Pierre TD when it look like he was going down for a short gain.  But prolly the big one was that 4th n short in MD territory that NK did not get late in game.   If they coulda drove that one in... we might be looking at a Linton NK rematch.  Obviously Mater Dei made some adjustments along the way defensively or NK would have just driving down the field every possession.  23-19 is really how I look at that game.. more representative of how it went... and who knows if the Warriors had taken back the lead on that failed 4th down... and jumpe up 25-23, or 26-23, or with a 2 point play 27-23... if they coulda kept MD from scoring that 30th point.  I thought NK did themselves proud. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miner_Pride said:

How many years has it been since we've met!!!  I'm sure it was at Springs Valley... altho we exchanged emails quite a while!!  HOpe all is well!

That's a good question. You might have been emailing me 15 years ago looking for stats for your game prep. Everything is going well. Took the year off from coaching this year. Coaching at Crawford Co. for two years required some time to recharge. Might coach next year again or might just be dad and watch since my oldest son will be in high school. Hoping things are good with you. Good luck Friday!

13 minutes ago, kingtut said:

I haven't heard anything about that.

I think because of the "Orange" status in the county it automatically changes things at the school it terms of classes... some go virtual... but I'm not sure of how that all works out.  Practices still happen... "school" is in session... 

Sooner or later the Miners are going to win a game they aren't supposed to and it will change the program once again.  I look at the 1997 season and see that the Miners finished at 6 - 3.  Just like this year.   They were the underdogs in the sectional championship game just like this year.   I remember it was a clear night but VERY cold.  In that title game Linton traveled to Perry Central.   The final score was 35 - 12, a Miners win.  The Miners went on to semi-state and lost to Knightstown 14 - 7 in a constant drizzle that year.  That one game at Perry Central they weren't supposed to win, propelled the program and started their many years of being a factor in the South.  They made the semi-state many times before getting over the hump in back to back years (2015 and 2016) I truly believe that sectional game they weren't supposed to win started it all.  Sooner or later, history will repeat itself.  History tends to do that.

6 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Sooner or later the Miners are going to win a game they aren't supposed to and it will change the program once again.  I look at the 1997 season and see that the Miners finished at 6 - 3.  Just like this year.   They were the underdogs in the sectional championship game just like this year.   I remember it was a clear night but VERY cold.  In that title game Linton traveled to Perry Central.   The final score was 35 - 12, a Miners win.  The Miners went on to semi-state and lost to Knightstown 14 - 7 in a constant drizzle that year.  That one game at Perry Central they weren't supposed to win, propelled the program and started their many years of being a factor in the South.  They made the semi-state many times before getting over the hump in back to back years (2015 and 2016) I truly believe that sectional game they weren't supposed to win started it all.  Sooner or later, history will repeat itself.  History tends to do that.

Sorry, just feeling a bit nostalgic today.

9 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

That one game at Perry Central they weren't supposed to win, propelled the program and started their many years of being a factor in the South.  They made the semi-state many times before getting over the hump in back to back years (2015 and 2016) I truly believe that sectional game they weren't supposed to win started it all.  Sooner or later, history will repeat itself.  History tends to do that.

Those dang Commodores.. LOL... yeah we won that '97 game... but Perry Central ended our season in 1999 and 2000...  but we got them in 2004 on our way to that loss to Ritter in semi-state.... but... those dang Commodores got us again in 2005 and 2006.... but we got'em in 2007.  Ahhh but they got us again in 2010 but that was it.  2011 started a 5 year win streak for Linton over Perry Central in post-season that was dominated by the miners.  264-43 in scoring.  It was definitely a changing of the guard. 

3 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Those dang Commodores.. LOL... yeah we won that '97 game... but Perry Central ended our season in 1999 and 2000...  but we got them in 2004 on our way to that loss to Ritter in semi-state.... but... those dang Commodores got us again in 2005 and 2006.... but we got'em in 2007.  Ahhh but they got us again in 2010 but that was it.  2011 started a 5 year win streak for Linton over Perry Central in post-season that was dominated by the miners.  264-43 in scoring.  It was definitely a changing of the guard. 

It was a great rivalry until 2011.   After that the Miners won 6 in a row.  And most of the games weren't even close that was what was so crazy.  Sooner or later the Miners are going to win another game like that 1997 game and the program will be changed again (in a bigger class).

7 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

I think because of the "Orange" status in the county it automatically changes things at the school it terms of classes... some go virtual... but I'm not sure of how that all works out.  Practices still happen... "school" is in session... 

No fans at the game Friday.  Coaches, players' family members, and cheer leaders only.  

2 hours ago, kingtut said:

No fans at the game Friday.  Coaches, players' family members, and cheer leaders only.  

ahh such a shame... I mean.. I am dang happy to be playing...  given that Washington forfeited to Sullivan because Edgewood players tested positive...  But the atmosphere will be far from what it should be for the teams.. particularly for Linton being at home.  

On a hot summer’s night in August of 1982 my favorite wrestling tag team was formed. In my eyes Strike Force is the greatest tag team known to man. Tito Santana and Rick Martel could beat up anyone one out there. Due to politics it took them until October of 1987 to win the tag team title. For years they had to take a back seat to lesser tag teams like the islanders and the Hart foundation, but they were patient and stayed the course. The WWF robbed them again shortly after, and fixed a match so Demolition could win the title. Strike Force would never hold the belt again and after a couple of years Rick Martel turned heel and left Tito high and dry and they eventually started their individual careers.

I believe that championship title in 1987 catapulted MD football to what it is today. When the going gets tough the Wildcats think about everything Strike Force had to go through to win that title without the help of the WWF fat cats and they dig deep and get the job done. I can’t confirm with certainty, but I believe coach Goebel has broken out some old vhs tapes at halftime when MD is down just to show them the kind of heart Strike Force had...the heart of true champions. I hope the Miners think about that on Friday. Can they beat MD? Maybe. Can they beat MD AND Strike Force? No way

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Moonshiners said:

On a hot summer’s night in August of 1982 my favorite wrestling tag team was formed. In my eyes Strike Force is the greatest tag team known to man. Tito Santana and Rick Martel could beat up anyone one out there. Due to politics it took them until October of 1987 to win the tag team title. For years they had to take a back seat to lesser tag teams like the islanders and the Hart foundation, but they were patient and stayed the course. The WWF robbed them again shortly after, and fixed a match so Demolition could win the title. Strike Force would never hold the belt again and after a couple of years Rick Martel turned heel and left Tito high and dry and they eventually started their individual careers.

I believe that championship title in 1987 catapulted MD football to what it is today. When the going gets tough the Wildcats think about everything Strike Force had to go through to win that title without the help of the WWF fat cats and they dig deep and get the job done. I can’t confirm with certainty, but I believe coach Goebel has broken out some old vhs tapes at halftime when MD is down just to show them the kind of heart Strike Force had...the heart of true champions. I hope the Miners think about that on Friday. Can they beat MD? Maybe. Can they beat MD AND Strike Force? No way

Now I know where all those Busch Light cans I find in my yard come from.. 😎  

All Hail Strike Force!

9 hours ago, Moonshiners said:

"They condemn that which they don't understand."

19 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Does Mater Dei have 3 feeder schools or more?

Holy Redeemer - some go to Memorial, some end up at Central

Corpus Christi - have had kids end up at Reitz

Resurrection - have had kids end up at Reitz

St. Joe - I know some kids ended up at North

St. Wendel - some end up at North Posey

West Side Catholic - have had kids end up at Reitz

St. Phillip (in Posey county) - some of these kids end up at North Posey or Mt. Vernon

St. James (in Gibson county) - many of these kids end up at Gibson Southern

26 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

Holy Redeemer - some go to Memorial, some end up at Central

Corpus Christi - have had kids end up at Reitz

Resurrection - have had kids end up at Reitz

St. Joe - I know some kids ended up at North

St. Wendel - some end up at North Posey

West Side Catholic - have had kids end up at Reitz

St. Phillip (in Posey county) - some of these kids end up at North Posey or Mt. Vernon

St. James (in Gibson county) - many of these kids end up at Gibson Southern

Holy smokes!  8 different feeder schools?!?  The majority of other 2A schools have ONE grade school.  I noticed you put on there that some go to other schools.  However "some" go to Mater Dei.   Let's just say 3 kids in every class go to Mater Dei every year and play football.   That is 24 more players they get than your average 2A school gets.  They have the numbers every year over other schools especially in their sectional.   I would think that is a main reason why they can stay so dominant.  I thought I I read a comment that MD had 64  players on the roster this year.   Most other 3A schools have half to two thirds that many.   Don't take this wrong.  I am NOT bashing MD for their success.  I am just a bit taken back by their numbers and how they can stay 2A with enrollment and draw from 8 different feeder schools.  Maybe my 3 is a high guess but I felt it was rather low.  Only bringing this up for discussion and not wanting to start a fight.  And thanks for the reply Wildcat1992.

Edited by itiswhatitis

10 hours ago, Moonshiners said:

I was a "Rockers" fan all the way. Marty Jannetty and Shawn Michaels - what a team! The betrayal in the barber shop still haunts me to this day. 

And, the bushwackers were awesome as well! 

2 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Holy smokes!  8 different feeder schools?!?  The majority of other 2A schools have ONE grade school.  I noticed you put on there that some go to other schools.  However "some" go to Mater Dei.   Let's just say 3 kids in every class go to Mater Dei every year and play football.   That is 24 more players they get than your average 2A school gets.  They have the numbers every year over other schools especially in their sectional.   I would think that is a main reason why they can stay so dominant.  I thought I I read a comment that MD had 64  players on the roster this year.   Most other 3A schools have half to two thirds that many.   Don't take this wrong.  I am NOT bashing MD for their success.  I am just a bit taken back by their numbers and how they can stay 2A with enrollment and draw from 8 different feeder schools.  Maybe my 3 is a high guess but I felt it was rather low.  Only bringing this up for discussion and not wanting to start a fight.  And thanks for the reply Wildcat1992.

Kinda like how Linton draws from all over Greene County.....(sorry, couldn't help it) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jets said:

I was a "Rockers" fan all the way. Marty Jannetty and Shawn Michaels - what a team! The betrayal in the barber shop still haunts me to this day. 

And, the bushwackers were awesome as well! 

Kinda like how Linton draws from all over Gerreene County.....(sorry, couldn't help it) 

Hardly.  Linton and Eastern Greene both have football programs.  White River Valley, Bloomfield ,and Shakamak do not.   They are the other 3 schools in Greene county.   A VERY few kids who play youth football will transfer to Linton to play high school ball.  VERY few.  I have known of only a handful in the past 25 years.   There were a few kids from Dugger (Sullivan county) who transferred to Linton after Dugger closed down and that is one of the reasons Linton had to stay in 2A (enrollment).  It wasn't from the success factor.

20 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

It's not even the number of schools which give programs an advantage though. The quality of most Catholic feeder programs is the real difference maker. Some public schools can replicate it, but it's no easy task. Castle had it under Lidy down to such a science even HH players went there, including Jay Cutler. South Spencer and Jasper's baseball programs are set up to maximize the number of players in the system.