Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 40 Final: (7-4) Mater Dei @ (8-3) Linton

10 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Not the game most of us expected but happy to walk away with the "W" at this time of the year.  MD got out to the 37 -0  lead but Miners made a good effort at a rally to close it out at 37 -20. 

Appreciated the play by play guys on livestream tonight.  Man, the main guy barely gets a chance to breath with all the sponsor promos he has to do btwn plays. Great to see Linton community supporting their team.  The prime rib special from the local sports pub about had me grabbing my car keys and making a road trip.😷   

I do have one question...what was the deal with the running clock towards the end of the game?  Obviously that rule has changed this year but first time we have been subject to it this year.  It was 37 - 14 to begin the fourth quarter, but that is when the running clock seemed to kick in - ?

When a team goes up by 35 it starts

49 minutes ago, Moonshiners said:

I hope coach learned a lesson tonight. You don’t put the 2nd string in half way through the 3Q when you’re playing a team like LS. They are too good of a team to do that to, and LS almost made him pay for it. 

They have all of their players healthy for next week. The game was never in doubt from the opening kickoff. 

8 hours ago, fartfry18 said:

They have all of their players healthy for next week. The game was never in doubt from the opening kickoff. 

That’s actually not true at all. Did u watch the game? LS missed out on a bomb of a touchdown that would have cut the lead to two touchdowns with about half the 4th left. Their WR had us beat and luckily enough the ball went through his fingertips. If Goebel would have kept the starters in until at least the start of the 4th he wouldn’t have had to put them back in towards the end of the game.

41 minutes ago, Moonshiners said:

That’s actually not true at all. Did u watch the game? LS missed out on a bomb of a touchdown that would have cut the lead to two touchdowns with about half the 4th left. Their WR had us beat and luckily enough the ball went through his fingertips. If Goebel would have kept the starters in until at least the start of the 4th he wouldn’t have had to put them back in towards the end of the game.

Lol. It was 37-0 when the running clock started. Even with the two quick scores and one late score, the game finished a 3 possession game. It would have taken another 2 quarters to score enough points to come back.

It was a good game for one quarter.   Both defenses played well.  I believe it was 7 - 0 at the end of the first.   After that the Wildcats put it in another gear and just walked away.   The Miners have had many games throughout the years where they have had a running clock.  It was odd to see them on the other end of that.   I hope they remember what that felt like and will use it was motivation for next year.   I felt if they could protect the ball they'd have a chance this year.  Didn't work out that way.  Mater Dei  just had too much talent and too many numbers for Linton to compete with them.  Best of luck to the Wildcats in the regional.

image.png

Edited by itiswhatitis

11 minutes ago, fartfry18 said:

Lol. It was 37-0 when the running clock started. Even with the two quick scores and one late score, the game finished a 3 possession game. It would have taken another 2 quarters to score enough points to come back.

U must normally watch EJFL games. If the WR catches that bomb then converts the onside kick, we are talking about a 2 possession game with 6 minutes left. 

20 minutes ago, Moonshiners said:

U must normally watch EJFL games. If the WR catches that bomb then converts the onside kick, we are talking about a 2 possession game with 6 minutes left. 

And in fact I spend most of my Saturdays at CYFL. Just so happened to catch this game streaming last night while in the stands. Dont think Goebel needs to learn any lessons from a poster on here at this point in his career.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oldgrayphart said:

This was the fourth game MD has had a running clock this year

I probably should have made it more clear that this was the first time this year I have actually listened to a game on the radio that had a running clock.  I must confess I tuned out of several MD games after halftime when the score was lopsided... 

Last night, you could not see the clock on the livestream and the announcers did not seem to be aware of the running clock until part way through the 4th qtr so it was all a bit confusing as a listener.  Mea culpa.

2 hours ago, fartfry18 said:

I would have waited until the end of the 3Q. I remember Castle getting up big on Harrison in a regular season game a few years back and calling off the dogs at halftime. Next thing you know they're taking an "L". You don't mess around this time of year. No disrespect to the other team, you just don't take the chance when the season ends on a loss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jets said:

Linton still can’t seem to crack the MD code...

For anyone attending the game- what was the atmosphere like with no fans?? That had to be really strange.

I was there. Every post-season game is weird. It's like watching a youth game with bigger kids. Linton did have some of their faithful outside of the stadium in cars like a Biden rally. I'm thankful the kids are getting to play, but it sucks for extended family that may not get to a family member play their last game.

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

It was a good game for one quarter.   Both defenses played well.  I believe it was 7 - 0 at the end of the first.   After that the Wildcats put it in another gear and just walked away.   The Miners have had many games throughout the years where they have had a running clock.  It was odd to see them on the other end of that.   I hope they remember what that felt like and will use it was motivation for next year.   I felt if they could protect the ball they'd have a chance this year.  Didn't work out that way.  Mater Dei  just had too much talent and too many numbers for Linton to compete with them.  Best of luck to the Wildcats in the regional.

image.png

The first quarter was fairly even. I think the difference was when Mater Dei found the L-S Achilles heel and started throwing the ball to the deeper middle of the field. L-S could hold their own against the run early on, but when MD started airing it out, the game changed quickly. MD's balance on offense was the difference, and the defense did what they do. There was one particular play early where it looked like an L-S DB might have a pick 6 and dropped it. MD went on to score on the drive and the game changed from there. Congratulations to L-S on a good season. I'm sure you guys will be back next year.

And in fact I spend most of my Saturdays at CYFL. Just so happened to catch this game streaming last night while in the stands. Dont think Goebel needs to learn any lessons from a poster on here at this point in his career.

Hahaha you couldn’t be more wrong. According to your theory all coaches don’t make mistakes. Any coach, even coach Goebel (who I know better than most since he married into my family) has a misstep. I suppose you think meteorologists are never wrong either because they’ve been doing it for years. 

Edited by Moonshiners

34 minutes ago, Moonshiners said:

Hahaha you couldn’t be more wrong. According to your theory all coaches don’t make mistakes. Any coach, even coach Goebel (who I know better than most since he married into my family) has a misstep. I suppose you think meteorologists are never wrong either because they’ve been doing it for years. 

Just saying he's been coaching long enough to know. More coaching experience than you. This time of year its about surviving and advancing. MD clearly had advanced when the running clock started, so why take even a chance someone gets hurt? Its happened too many times, a team frustrated their season is over takes some cheap shots (linton did not do this, just saying it happens) and a starter is now down for the count. On to regionals for 3 SIAC teams

Just saying he's been coaching long enough to know. More coaching experience than you. This time of year its about surviving and advancing. MD clearly had advanced when the running clock started, so why take even a chance someone gets hurt? Its happened too many times, a team frustrated their season is over takes some cheap shots (linton did not do this, just saying it happens) and a starter is now down for the count. On to regionals for 3 SIAC teams

What type of coaching r u referring to? I know I’ve coached him under the table if u count my fantasy football teams! I do get your injury perspective though. My comments would certainly have back fired if a starter would have been injured late in the game.

Well folks.... it's clear my Miners have a long way to go to get to the next level of success with the like of Mater Dei.  There was just too much talent across the board.  I thought we could match up in the run game, altho Humphrey busted for 30 on the first MD play.  Overall they had just 67 rush yards...BUT... as was my fear... 289 yards in the air... and they were game busters.  4 Touchdowns... 38 yards, 65 yards, 38 yards each for scores.. others went for 30 to the miner 4, 36 on a 3rd and 10;  34 and 26 on other plays.  And more scary is most every time these Wildcats were wide open.  Any pass the receiver slipped at the 2 or it would have been another long TD pass.   Our defense could get nowhere near Wunderlich...no pressure. So he could just stand there and survey.  McDurmon from the slot seemed open every pass play.  I will say 2 catches Taylor #86 made were just beauties of a pass and catch.  We just don't see much of that during the season at Linton.  We just dont see that level of talent in all four positions...as well as at QB, or OLine or RB. in one game.  

Then there was Linton inability.. again.. to get any offense going to help the cause.  I had a little hope after the opening series got 2 first down to midfield...and almost thought we'd go for it on 4th n short...but play field position was good.  Altho...in one play that switch around.  Linton's possessions started a their own 24, 14, 4, 25, 22 and 16 in the first half.  We touched Mater Dei territory once at their 47, lost a yard, then punted.  We could not run inside...  and couldn't outside..  and the already limited passing game couldn't open things up.  Oh the numbers look much better than they really were. 144 rushing, 102 passing.. but clearly the majority of that came once Coach Goebel brought in the 2nd teamers early on.  In fact 126 of LInton's 246 yards came against those 2nd team... as did the 20 points scored.  Had MD elected to leave starters in I'm sure they'd of put up more points and yards.  The starting O was done at 8:47 of the 3rd quarter up 37 to 0.  

I feel for my Miner players and coaches because this was the game they were looking for all year.  At minimum I hoped we play a much better game, be competitive and not come away with the big loss we had the last 2 years.  At most, I hoped that we could make some plays to stay close or be ahead and put ourselves in a position to win.  I knew that would take a mistake free effort and most likely some breaks go our way.  Well...I was pleased at least we didn't have fumbles, interceptions, penalties  or anything blocked this year... so we didn't create our own demise...  other than trying to field a kickoff that might gone out of bounds or reach endzone... that put us at our own 4 down 7-0.   None of that made any difference tho.  Once MD dialed in where to attack...it was just crossing fingers on every pass play.  A big play was the 3rd and goal from the Miner 10... Linton had held from the 4, and a hold here would have probably brought out Atherton.  Looked like we had Turner covered....and stopped but he alertly thrust the ball over the goal line for 6.  MD might have just gone for it on 4th and so short any way.  

So another year ends for my Miners.  I can't say how fortunate I feel as well a happy I am for this team and the 5 seniors... that we actually got in all 12 games!  Teams all over the state, and many right here in the wabash valley had parts of their season cancelled or couldn't play in the games Friday.  I would have loved to have seen the ROY packed in typical Linton fashion for such a big game...but at least we were playing.   My best wishes go to the Wildcats as they rematch Triton Central... hoping both teams can stay Covid Free and let it get settled on the field.  Definitely the better team won, and to Coach Goebel and the Mater Dei Wildcats I congratulate on the win.

I also congratulate our seniors--  Landon and Damiel Giles, Trey Goodman, Levi Grounds, and Braymon Lannan.  8-4 is a solid season.  A lot of memories for Linton you've been a part of for 4 years.  You brought Linton back to a sectional Championship game for the first time since state title team in 2016.   Linton will bring back a lot of talent in 2021...and it's sure to be another good year of Miner Football, but we've got to do something to step up to the levels of Southridge and Mater Dei if we want to get rid of this terrible feeling each post-season.  That will take work all year long to get stronger, faster, and get more numbers in uniform as well!

Congrats as well for Coach Oliver, Coach Mark, Coach Jake...and all the Miner Coaching staff....    The end of my 21st year of broadcasting Miner Football too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miner_Pride said:

Congrats as well for Coach Oliver, Coach Mark, Coach Jake...and all the Miner Coaching staff....    The end of my 21st year of broadcasting Miner Football too.

Be "Humble in victory, gracious in defeat"...very nice statement in support of your team, Miner Pride.  Classy guy, classy fans, classy program - wishing you all the best next season - at least until we meet again if the stars so align.  

• Like 2

I wish I could have met any of you who were at the game...  Once I get in that booth... that's where I am!  Any by the time I get out of the booth.... the carnival is gone.  I didn't even get the chance to speak to the 5 out-going seniors.... but I will send each my customary thank you message.  I guess it's sometimes better that way, I just like to look them in the eye one last time in that Miner Uni....and genuinely let them know they are a part of the brotherhood.. win or lose for today, tomorrow and forever more.  Yeah.. a little dramatic perhaps.. but you understand if you played the game.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Be "Humble in victory, gracious in defeat"...very nice statement in support of your team, Miner Pride.  Classy guy, classy fans, classy program - wishing you all the best next season - at least until we meet again if the stars so align.  

If you look up small town football, you will find Linton Miner Football there.   That is one of the things that endeared me to the Miner Program when I moved there i 1995.  And talking with and getting to know fans and their stories over the years, has just been one of life's true pleasures.   If you want to know ANYTHING about Miner football, just chat for a while with Kingtut.   He's been a Miner fan longer than Moby Dick has been a minnow.  He is a true Miner "treasure".    The support and the love this team gets from its fanbase is just off the charts.   It is town wide celebration when they win and somewhat town wide sadness when they lose.  And especially so during the tournament.   The Miners are what Friday Night lights are all about.

On 11/7/2020 at 8:21 AM, fartfry18 said:

Linton was totally outmanned by a much superior MD team.  First time in history Linton had a running clock rule imposed on them.  Most of Linton's kids will be back next year.  They'll be bigger, stronger, and better.

21 hours ago, kingtut said:

Linton was totally outmanned by a much superior MD team.  First time in history Linton had a running clock rule imposed on them.  Most of Linton's kids will be back next year.  They'll be bigger, stronger, and better.

Not true.  MD had a running clock against them last year as well.  MD went up 44-7 last year late in the 3rd quarter to get a running clock.

Edited by Wildcat1992

41 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

Not true.  MD had a running clock against them last year as well.  MD went up 44-7 last year late in the 3rd quarter to get a running clock.

Thank you.  I stand corrected.  I was there at Reitz bowl too.  I guess I successfully erased that game from my memory. 🙂

• Like 1