Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 40 Final: (7-4) Mater Dei @ (8-3) Linton

51 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Bobref, we were told it stops after Sectionals.  We should have had a running clock in Regionals last year and were told it ended after Sectionals. 

I don’t know who told you, and that was last year when the Mercy Rule was new. New year, new deal. The Mercy Rule is in effect at all levels except the State Finals. I got this yesterday morning straight from the highest authority.

18 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

What did it take like 90 years to win the first one? I don't think it will take that long today. Miners will get over this and get much better. You can bet that Coach Oliver knows where that better needs to be. Hey gotta remember Linton is a small school in a small town. MD is a small school in the City of Evansville. Things can change quickly there not so much Linton. I think it's very funny (Me included at times) we won our first Championship a mere 4 years ago. Now we demand it. LOL   Ollie and the gang always put out great kids. I think it started with Steve. But regardless. We need to support our Basketball teams as well. Theres a real chance that t\he girls repeat and the boys win as well! I hope the folk in Linton understand that. Its a GREAT DAY to be a MINER as Charlie say

The thing is, Miner fans have been spoiled for years.  You win 6 sectionals in a row and then a state title and fans come to expect the team to be good every year and bring home hardware.   I get that 2A is more difficult than 1A but look at Pioneer.   They have only been in 2A for 2 years and have won a sectional this year.  Linton has barely won ANY sectional games let alone a title.   That is what is so frustrating.   These past 3 games with Mater Dei makes them look like they don't belong.  That's the perception.   If they had been close games, it would be different.   Oh they will play good for a quarter or a half and then the wheels come off the wagon.  Frustrating for fans.  That sophomore quarterback for MD carved up Linton's defense.  Is there a need to start recruiting within the halls of Linton High School?   I know Coach Wellington used to do that when he was head coach.  It was said he'd walk the halls and talk with kids trying to get them out for football.

Edited by itiswhatitis

35 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

The thing is, Miner fans have been spoiled for years.  You win 6 sectionals in a row and then a state title and fans come to expect the team to be good every year and bring home hardware.   I get that 2A is more difficult than 1A but look at Pioneer.   They have only been in 2A for 2 years and have won a sectional this year.  Linton has barely won ANY sectional games let alone a title.   That is what is so frustrating.   These past 3 games with Mater Dei makes them look like they don't belong.  That's the perception.   If they had been close games, it would be different.   Oh they will play good for a quarter or a half and then the wheels come off the wagon.  Frustrating for fans.  That sophomore quarterback for MD carved up Linton's defense.  Is there a need to start recruiting within the halls of Linton High School?   I know Coach Wellington used to do that when he was head coach.  It was said he'd walk the halls and talk with kids trying to get them out for football.

I have a hard time believing Coach Oliver isn't recruiting the halls of Linton-Stockton HS as it is. I can't imagine any coach on a successful or less than successful team isn't trying to get kids to play.

15 minutes ago, JQWL said:

I have a hard time believing Coach Oliver isn't recruiting the halls of Linton-Stockton HS as it is. I can't imagine any coach on a successful or less than successful team isn't trying to get kids to play.

Well he could very well be, but the numbers are down somewhat.  And as Miner Pride posted, a lot of kids today are only interested in the internet and video games.   They don't want to put in the effort for sports.  I don't know what it is.  Frustrating.  Linton has had teams in the past number almost 60.  Out of a class of 100+ that's only 15 per class.  This year's senior class only had 5 so the other 37 members on the team were underclassmen.

8 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

The Southridge obsession with Mater Dei and 2A football is starting to reach unhealthy levels. 

Yeah... that thought is never far away.   Now...while we have taken a couple on the chin from The Raiders... we've had a couple really battles to the nitty gritty...  But yeah.. having Southridge back in 40 would make it doubly tough...  

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Since the forced move up to 2A ...that's now permanent because so many more small schools have entered IHSAA... charter et al...  I don't think Linton's enrollment of 381 has done much changing... it was at it's peak in the early to mid 2000's... but it's been more on the decline that upswing.   I think we have terrific dedicated kids playing football.  We have had very good football teams since that state championship of 2016.  the 2017 team lost twice to 2A state champ Southridge, and both were good battles, and to 9-4 Ritter and to 1A state runner up Eastern Greene.  Linton has beaten many a 2A team so I know we can play in 2A ....  2019 won 9 games,with losses only to southridge and MD...    I think every school had kids walking halls, athletic kids you wish played football.. some who did in younger years and stopped for whatever reason. Some who focus on one sport year round.. which kills a small school.  I get it... some just don't like the sport... don't like the physical side... and some simply don't want to put in the effort it takes to be a good player.  In Linton... it all starts with the youth program.  But we've seen a decline in numbers, we've seen the junior high teams severely hampered by low numbers.  And the scary thought is that several of those kids did not play this year.  I'm hoping that it changes around next year.   But the kids we got on the team... they deserve kudos and smacks on the back... with what they have all gone thru with this covid stuff...  and we still had a very good Linton squad this year.

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

The Southridge obsession with Mater Dei and 2A football is starting to reach unhealthy levels. 

I've started thinking the same thing. Half of the posts I see someone is commenting that they are actually a 2A school. It's almost like they think since they were bumped to 3A that they own 2A football in southern Indiana. I think there is respect for their program and what they've accomplished, but I don't think anyone, especially Mater Dei, is scared of them. Their game with Tell City this year is a prime example. Maybe they should play a game with MD after the postseason is over...or Jasper, Central, Castle, Memorial, or North. If you look at common opponents, and I hate to bring L-S into this, but Southridge beat L-S 28-0. MD was up 37-0 early in the 3rd when they called off the dogs...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miner_Pride said:

Since the forced move up to 2A ...that's now permanent because so many more small schools have entered IHSAA... charter et al...  I don't think Linton's enrollment of 381 has done much changing... it was at it's peak in the early to mid 2000's... but it's been more on the decline that upswing.   I think we have terrific dedicated kids playing football.  We have had very good football teams since that state championship of 2016.  the 2017 team lost twice to 2A state champ Southridge, and both were good battles, and to 9-4 Ritter and to 1A state runner up Eastern Greene.  Linton has beaten many a 2A team so I know we can play in 2A ....  2019 won 9 games,with losses only to southridge and MD...    I think every school had kids walking halls, athletic kids you wish played football.. some who did in younger years and stopped for whatever reason. Some who focus on one sport year round.. which kills a small school.  I get it... some just don't like the sport... don't like the physical side... and some simply don't want to put in the effort it takes to be a good player.  In Linton... it all starts with the youth program.  But we've seen a decline in numbers, we've seen the junior high teams severely hampered by low numbers.  And the scary thought is that several of those kids did not play this year.  I'm hoping that it changes around next year.   But the kids we got on the team... they deserve kudos and smacks on the back... with what they have all gone thru with this covid stuff...  and we still had a very good Linton squad this year.

I never said Linton didn't have good teams.   But I DID more or less say they can't hang with MD.   Just look at the past 3 games.   That's all the proof you need.   I believe in reality, it's going to be a while before the Miners are competitive with MD.  The Wildcat program is just too strong right now.

59 minutes ago, South Paw said:

I've started thinking the same thing. Half of the posts I see someone is commenting that they are actually a 2A school. It's almost like they think since they were bumped to 3A that they own 2A football in southern Indiana. I think there is respect for their program and what they've accomplished, but I don't think anyone, especially Mater Dei, is scared of them. Their game with Tell City this year is a prime example. Maybe they should play a game with MD after the postseason is over...or Jasper, Central, Castle, Memorial, or North. If you look at common opponents, and I hate to bring L-S into this, but Southridge beat L-S 28-0. MD was up 37-0 early in the 3rd when they called off the dogs...

Just curious, did you read into the Tell City team that they assembled for their sectional game against LS at all? i encourage you to check the lineups for both the game against SR and the game against LS and see that they did not have half of their starters in the sectional game. If they did, I think it is very likely that they would be playing this weekend in the regionals.

And to go along with your call for us to play MD, Jasper, etc after the year. I'm sure our guys would GLADLY accept that challenge to knock off MD at the Reitz Bowl once again as well as put it to Jasper.

20 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Just curious, did you read into the Tell City team that they assembled for their sectional game against LS at all? i encourage you to check the lineups for both the game against SR and the game against LS and see that they did not have half of their starters in the sectional game. If they did, I think it is very likely that they would be playing this weekend in the regionals.

And to go along with your call for us to play MD, Jasper, etc after the year. I'm sure our guys would GLADLY accept that challenge to knock off MD at the Reitz Bowl once again as well as put it to Jasper.

Do you think SR would play within 3 of 5A sectional Champs Castle? Compete for 4 quarters with 4A powerhouse Evansville central? 

2 minutes ago, fartfry18 said:

Do you think SR would play within 3 of 5A sectional Champs Castle? Compete for 4 quarters with 4A powerhouse Evansville central? 

I'm not sure what you are gettin at here, but my simple answer to that is YES, 100% believe they could have competed in the SIAC this year. What "blemish" on Southridge's record this year makes you think otherwise?

3 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

I'm not sure what you are gettin at here, but my simple answer to that is YES, 100% believe they could have competed in the SIAC this year. What "blemish" on Southridge's record this year makes you think otherwise?

I'm not insinuating that SR would not compete. I think they would have ended up around 5-4 or 4-5 in the conference depending what team they replaced, but games would have been competitive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fartfry18 said:

I'm not insinuating that SR would not compete. I think they would have ended up around 5-4 or 4-5 in the conference depending what team they replaced, but games would have been competitive. 

Your right. Thanks for answering your own question on that one! Games would have been very competitive such as coming within 3 against Castle and competing for 4 quarters against Central. Although IMO Central would be the only L. To each its own. The world may never know.

1 minute ago, RoadRunner said:

Your right. Thanks for answering your own question on that one! Games would have been very competitive such as coming within 3 against Castle and competing for 4 quarters against Central. Although IMO Central would be the only L. To each its own. The world may never know.

Could be. I guess we won't know because memorial got pushed out of 3A. Not a lot of competition around here in 3A this year with Heritage hills and gibson southern both having down years. Would have been interested to see how many TD memorial would win by if they were still in 3A.

3 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

well you know I gotta jump on this.   they did have more than half their starters... in particular their entire starting O line, the QB and all three starting backs.   What they didn't have were all their starting DB's...  we didn't pass.  I do acknowledge that it was their full normal assortment of players.. and they did move some guys from one place to another... but they could not run on us.  And they are not a passing team like Mater Dei is.  But I also think LInton was keyed up to play Tell City... and I don't agree that had Tell City had everyone in uniform that it would be a given that the Marksmen would have moved forward. 

3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I never said Linton didn't have good teams.   But I DID more or less say they can't hang with MD.   Just look at the past 3 games.   That's all the proof you need.   I believe in reality, it's going to be a while before the Miners are competitive with MD.  The Wildcat program is just too strong right now.

Oh I know that!  But you are correct.  it's hard to look at those 3 games and think otherwise.   Until we can defend that kind of passing attack...and have a dependable dangerous pass attack ourselves on a regular basis to keep teams from loading the box.... we are always going to run into trouble. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

I understood very well that TC was shorthanded against L-S. If you go back and read my post, that's not what I was comparing. I was comparing Southridge vs L-S and MD vs. L-S results. That was the only common opponent. You're entitled to your opinion about which sectional 40 team would be at the regional, but it's only your opinion. I'm sure for your sake you would like to believe that Tell City would've been there since they gave you a scare, and it would make you feel better about your chances of beating MD. I know several of the kids on the Tell City team and was looking forward to a Tell City/MD battle. Unfortunately it didn't happen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fartfry18 said:

In the past Southridge has beat Mater Dei in the sectional in a year when Mater Dei was the SIAC champion. Another year Southridge was beat by Central (the SIAC champ) 28-20.  Central lost in the sectional that year to Jasper 8-7. Southridge beat Jasper that year 20-14. So I think it is fair to say when Southridge is good they can play with most teams in the SIAC and have a good chance to win.

13 hours ago, fartfry18 said:

Could be. I guess we won't know because memorial got pushed out of 3A. Not a lot of competition around here in 3A this year with Heritage hills and gibson southern both having down years. Would have been interested to see how many TD memorial would win by if they were still in 3A.

what makes this a down year for Gibson Southern? 

14 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

Oh I know that!  But you are correct.  it's hard to look at those 3 games and think otherwise.   Until we can defend that kind of passing attack...and have a dependable dangerous pass attack ourselves on a regular basis to keep teams from loading the box.... we are always going to run into trouble. 

Well until someone figures out how to beat MD, right now the other 7 teams are just playing for a sectional title every year and will never win it.  That is of course unless Southridge drops back into 2A.  The Wildcats are just on a different level than the rest of the teams in the sectional.  Their talent and numbers are just overwhelming for everyone else to try to match.