Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

Sectional 40 Final: (7-4) Mater Dei @ (8-3) Linton


Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, fartfry18 said:

Could be. I guess we won't know because memorial got pushed out of 3A. Not a lot of competition around here in 3A this year with Heritage hills and gibson southern both having down years. Would have been interested to see how many TD memorial would win by if they were still in 3A.

I guess thats a trick question you propose as Memorial would not be favored over SR.

image.png.2dff60c1bc51aceb3ef7f4ee5074570d.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, 2017statechamps said:

And for that matter......

image.png.ff0ed1ffaf9256146649fe3d4e193331.png

Regardless how close Sags might be to determining how these games might play out, I marvel at times to just how predisposed folks who know better are inclined to the default that bigger schools automatically are going to defeat smaller school.

If 2A Mater Dei can compete effectively and even outright win the SIAC against much bigger schools (and no one gives it even a second thought) then why is a stretch to imagine Southridge doing so?  

Especially a Southridge team that has won the 2A State Championship and defeated Mater Dei on the way?  Why don’t folks just assume they could compete in the SIAC as effectively as Mater Dei?

edit.  Believe me, some of the 5A Sectionals around the state should thank God there aren’t some decent 2A teams playing in them.

Edited by Lysander
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, fartfry18 said:

1. I did not say they wouldn't compete. 

2. Sagarin has been a useless tool for the siac this year, I think it is coming closer to being accurate, but still a week or 2 away. 

19 hours ago, fartfry18 said:

Do you think SR would play within 3 of 5A sectional Champs Castle? Compete for 4 quarters with 4A powerhouse Evansville central? 

I think he is saying that he thinks they would play within 3 and he thinks they would compete for 4 quarters vs Central...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Regardless how close Sags might be to determining how these games might play out, I marvel at times to just how predisposed folks who know better are inclined to the default that bigger schools automatically are going to defeat smaller school.

If 2A Mater Dei can compete effectively and even outright win the SIAC against much bigger schools (and no one gives it even a second thought) then why is a stretch to imagine Southridge doing so?  

Especially a Southridge team that has won the 2A State Championship and defeated Mater Dei on the way?  Why don’t folks just assume they could compete in the SIAC as effectively as Mater Dei?

edit.  Believe me, some of the 5A Sectionals around the state should thank God there aren’t some decent 2A teams playing in them.

You're exactly right. Southridge would have also been a great addition to the SIAC and would have competed very well. It wouldn't be hard for me to imagine them winning a title occasionally and being in the top half of the standings every year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2017statechamps said:

I guess thats a trick question you propose as Memorial would not be favored over SR.

image.png.2dff60c1bc51aceb3ef7f4ee5074570d.png

Memorial wasn't "favored" over several teams they beat this year. I also don't think most people thought their last game against Central would be that close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2017statechamps said:

And for that matter......

image.png.ff0ed1ffaf9256146649fe3d4e193331.png

Sagarin ratings are a nice metric, but they are flawed. They're dependent on having some out-of-conference games to inject a comparison and get a result. If no regular season out-of-conference games, like the SIAC is now, the Sagarin is basically worthless. Since post-season started, and SIAC teams continue to move on, the Sagarin ratings for teams in the SIAC will continue to climb. I hope Mooresville, Lawrenceburg, and Triton Central are preparing their teams based off of the Sagarin ratings...

I would bet the farm on Castle on a Southridge -1 line, and I definitely think you would struggle with Central. I doubt if Southridge -1 would be the Vegas line.

In the past 20 years you are like 4-16 against Jasper. There's a lot of Jaspers in the SIAC. Usually anywhere from 3 to 6 depending on the year. During the same time, I think you are basically .500 versus MD, which is respectable, but not dominant. Under Coach Buening, you guys are averaging 9.5 wins a season which is also very respectable.

As I said before, I think everyone respects Southridge and what you guys have achieved, especially recently. No doubt you guys would compete. You definitely have some athletes, solid coaching, and the kids play hard. No one would take you lightly. You have a talented team this year and best of luck this weekend.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Donnie Baker said:

Any talk about Madder Days regional game anywhere? 

I tried to start a thread but much the same as last year, there are few TC fans active on the GID.  There are a few comments but mostly from MD fans and supporters.  Here is the link:  

It has pretty much devolved into an airing of past grievances over who refused to play where, when🤯

Edited by MDAlum82
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, 2017statechamps said:

Who were they not favored against?  You say several, I say Castle only....

image.png.269d5cac00d6f32c0e51ca86a5c50c40.png

Memorial started the season 0-3. They lost a ton from last year. They played MD in week 4. They weren't "favorites" against anyone. They just seemed to get better every week. Later in the season, they lost their QB (Pence) for a bit and suffered a couple of other big injuries, but scrapped and found a way to compete. To answer your question, the MD, Reitz (at that time), Lincoln and Northview were toss ups. They were favorites against Harrison and Bosse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, South Paw said:

Memorial started the season 0-3. They lost a ton from last year. They played MD in week 4. They weren't "favorites" against anyone. They just seemed to get better every week. Later in the season, they lost their QB (Pence) for a bit and suffered a couple of other big injuries, but scrapped and found a way to compete. To answer your question, the MD, Reitz (at that time), Lincoln and Northview were toss ups. They were favorites against Harrison and Bosse. 

Ok. I will also concede Reitz. They started 2-0, but by the time they played Memorial the silver shine was already gone from their helmets and season...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, South Paw said:

Sagarin ratings are a nice metric, but they are flawed. They're dependent on having some out-of-conference games to inject a comparison and get a result. If no regular season out-of-conference games, like the SIAC is now, the Sagarin is basically worthless. Since post-season started, and SIAC teams continue to move on, the Sagarin ratings for teams in the SIAC will continue to climb. I hope Mooresville, Lawrenceburg, and Triton Central are preparing their teams based off of the Sagarin ratings...

I would bet the farm on Castle on a Southridge -1 line, and I definitely think you would struggle with Central. I doubt if Southridge -1 would be the Vegas line.

In the past 20 years you are like 4-16 against Jasper. There's a lot of Jaspers in the SIAC. Usually anywhere from 3 to 6 depending on the year. During the same time, I think you are basically .500 versus MD, which is respectable, but not dominant. Under Coach Buening, you guys are averaging 9.5 wins a season which is also very respectable.

As I said before, I think everyone respects Southridge and what you guys have achieved, especially recently. No doubt you guys would compete. You definitely have some athletes, solid coaching, and the kids play hard. No one would take you lightly. You have a talented team this year and best of luck this weekend.

In that same 20 years that Southridge is 4-16 against Jasper, Memorial is 5-15. I don't think many people assume that Memorial can't compete against Castle like they do with Southridge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

In a perfect world (meaning no-SCF) we could have had Mater Dei vs Southridge for the 40 title and Memorial vs Gibson Southern last week for the right to face Lawrenceburg this weekend.

That's not the case. Good luck to MD and SR in their actual games. 

I miss the perfect world.  You know, the one with no covid and thousands of rowdy fans in the stands!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 2017statechamps said:

I miss the perfect world.  You know, the one with no covid and thousands of rowdy fans in the stands!

I agree.  I truly believe that if we had our normal 3500+ fans in the Enlow grandstand last week that we would be the team playing Mooresville this week instead of Central.  But c'est la vie.   Aside from that, not having the weekly tailgates and seeing friends and family at games has been a true bummer this season.   Good luck to you guys tomorrow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tango said:

I agree.  I truly believe that if we had our normal 3500+ fans in the Enlow grandstand last week that we would be the team playing Mooresville this week instead of Central.  But c'est la vie.   Aside from that, not having the weekly tailgates and seeing friends and family at games has been a true bummer this season.   Good luck to you guys tomorrow.

"What do you miss the most about the pre-covid days?" 

Dewig brats at a random tailgate before an Evv Memorial Football Game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, tango said:

I agree.  I truly believe that if we had our normal 3500+ fans in the Enlow grandstand last week that we would be the team playing Mooresville this week instead of Central.  But c'est la vie.   Aside from that, not having the weekly tailgates and seeing friends and family at games has been a true bummer this season.   Good luck to you guys tomorrow.

Take heart.   I hear that vaccines are on the way.   Next year things should be more normal.

  • Kill me now 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...