Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is the end coming for Harbaugh at Michigan?

Guest DT

Just now, Gipper said:

How about some Brady Hoke?

Been there, done that.

Dude's absolute refusal to wear a headset and clap repeatedly for 4 hours every Saturday turned people off.

1 minute ago, Gipper said:

And what’s Skip Holtz up to?

Being too old.  If we are bailing on Harbaugh, I want a younger innovative guy.

2 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Either.  Although this football season has been anything but normal, there has been some good coaching performances.

There is NO WAY that Ryan Day would leave OSU for Michigan.  None!  NFL?  Sure.

Fickell?  If he didn't take MSU, he is not taking UM.  I can see him staying at Cincy for awhile until OSU opens up when Day goes to the NFL or him going to the NFL, alas Mike Vrabel.

Mullen?????  Leave the SEC East which is a relative cakewalk to the conference championship vs. Bama, LSU or Auburn.  Yeah.  Just not seeing that either.

Just now, DE said:

There is NO WAY that Ryan Day would leave OSU for Michigan.  None!  NFL?  Sure.

Fickell?  If he didn't take MSU, he is not taking UM.  I can see him staying at Cincy for awhile until OSU opens up when Day goes to the NFL or him going to the NFL, alas Mike Vrabel.

Mullen?????  Leave the SEC East which is a relative cakewalk to the conference championship vs. Bama, LSU or Auburn.  Yeah.  Just not seeing that either.

3/3

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

They did do that with Rich Rod and (though I could go on and on about outside influences that limited his success there) but they just won't do it again.  It was not a popular hire with the alumni and former players so he was given a short leash.

Michigan could double Campbell's salary as he currently makes $3.5 million.  I think he would at least take a look.

As far as "Harbaugh's system" what is it anyway?  He brought his Stanford "man ball" theory to UM in 2015.  Placed a large emphasis on the TE and methodical running game.  They then lost to OSU in dominating fashion and out thought themselves.  In modern football, you need an offense that can easily score 30 to have a shot.  

With each passing "disappointing" season, they began to change their recruiting philosophy to mirror other spread teams (cough, OSU) and decided to try the "speed in space" concept.  Problem is, they did not initially have the players to run it effectively. 

Now, they do have the personnel, but they are young.  Josh Gattis brought his playbook from Bama and it appears (though its a small sample size) they have their QB for this year.  (They do have a stud from IMG in JJ McCarthy coming in next year however.)

Brady really has no recruiting ties other than the fact that he gets credit for Joe Burrow.  I think he is a long shot, but is a young, enthusiastic guy with big ties to Florida/the southeast.  It is a necessity to recruit that part of the country in order to be successful.

I do think that Allen has done an amazing job at IU but lets pump the brakes a bit.  Teams WILL throw money at him this fall and he HAS to listen, but I think it is a bit premature.  Love his energy, passion and love for his players but I need to see more.

When I watch ISU I see a lot of similarities to UM.  I do not think it is bad.  But others do.

Great, respectful football banter.  Thanks @Gipperand @temptation

14 minutes ago, temptation said:

Michigan looked at Mullen twice before the Harbaugh/Hoke hires. 

If willing, I'd take a LONG look at Muschamp for D coordinator.  That job will DEFINITELY be open this winter.

Don’t forget about Venable at Clemson.  Dabo’s put together a fantastic run, but as soon as Saban leaves Tuscaloosa, he’ll be on the next flight west.

9 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Don’t forget about Venable at Clemson.  Dabo’s put together a fantastic run, but as soon as Saban leaves Tuscaloosa, he’ll be on the next flight west.

And then Venables slides into the driver's seat at Clemson.  No arguing from anyone here.  Clemson to Michigan is a definite step down in terms of talent, recruiting standards/admission, access to talent, etc..

Unless ND makes a permanent move to the ACC, its also a free pass to the playoff annually.

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

And then Venables slides into the driver's seat at Clemson.  No arguing from anyone here.  Clemson to Michigan is a definite step down in terms of talent, recruiting standards/admission, access to talent, etc..

Unless ND makes a permanent move to the ACC, its also a free pass to the playoff annually.

Good analysis.  As much as it pains me, I see ND in the ACC on a permanent basis.

I must be out of the loop. Tom Allen is already making 4 million. Can a program like Indiana afford anymore? Allen is Indiana though and through. I'm not sure he would take a higher paying position elsewhere. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.............lesson learned from the Rich Rod debacle. 

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

I must be out of the loop. Tom Allen is already making 4 million. Can a program like Indiana afford anymore? Allen is Indiana though and through. I'm not sure he would take a higher paying position elsewhere. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.............lesson learned from the Rich Rod debacle. 

Good point.  I mean one thing the B10 does consistently do is pay its coaches competitively.  Allen is top 40 in America in salary, but that is only good for 9th in the Big Ten.  Having some roots in FL, maybe Allen goes after the Miami job if Diaz doesn't work out?  Would be a lateral step financially, but a massive upgrade in potential talent/ability to compete annually.

Side topic (maybe deserving of a separate thread), did Lincoln Riley miss his shot last year?  I know the Cowboys gig is a train wreck right now but has some of the shine worn off?

If so, Allen better look at all offers this offseason.  The Hoosiers have a young stud in Pennix but don't have the classes coming in behind him to make 2020 much more than an anamoly.

2 minutes ago, DE said:

What you said.  Big boy/heavy TE sets, etc.

@temptation

Happy Thanksgiving to you 2 gentlemen too.

I know 2020 is crazy, but those big boy/heavy TE sets sure as hell did knock out Oklahoma this year in the offensive minded Big 12...

Think Michigan would kill for one win over the top dog in its conference these days?  I sure as hell do.

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Good point.  I mean one thing the B10 does consistently do is pay its coaches competitively.  Allen is top 40 in America in salary, but that is only good for 9th in the Big Ten.  Having some roots in FL, maybe Allen goes after the Miami job if Diaz doesn't work out?  Would be a lateral step financially, but a massive upgrade in potential talent/ability to compete annually.

Side topic (maybe deserving of a separate thread), did Lincoln Riley miss his shot last year?  I know the Cowboys gig is a train wreck right now but has some of the shine worn off?

If so, Allen better look at all offers this offseason.  The Hoosiers have a young stud in Pennix but don't have the classes coming in behind him to make 2020 much more than an anamoly.

I thought IU had a recent class that was ranked in the Top 25.

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

I thought IU had a recent class that was ranked in the Top 25.

Not even close.  Their 2019 class did crack the top 40.  Still not a recipe for long term success in the Big Ten East.

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

The one thing I always appreciated about Michigan was their above average standard for student athletes. Not on par with Notre Dame, Stanford, and Northwestern, but not far off either. 

Which is why I think Fitzgerald would be intriguing.  Don't see it happening but fun to talk about.

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

I know 2020 is crazy, but those big boy/heavy TE sets sure as hell did knock out Oklahoma this year in the offensive minded Big 12...

Think Michigan would kill for one win over the top dog in its conference these days?  I sure as hell do.

Like I said, I like it.

15 minutes ago, temptation said:

Thanks, I am just glad I behaved and did used the phrase "recruiting standards/admissions" as opposed to what I really wanted to type.

We all walk a slippery slope...

17 minutes ago, BTF said:

I’m going to change my stripes and not be anti-IU today.  Allen’s had a good run at IU.  Not only do we take note, but deep pocketed ADs do as well.  Why be a (well paid) #2 at a basketball school, when you can be the man/head dog/big cheese/numero uno honcho somewhere else?

I really thought Jim Harbaugh would be home run hire for Michigan, but it just hasn't happened. I mean he's had success in college, NFL, and is a "Michigan" man that I thought would have great success. I thought I read somewhere that JH suffers from memory loss and shows signs of CTE and I wonder if that has effected his coaching ability. I don't know where they turn to from here, it's still Michigan and I'd think they'd have a lot of applicants to go through. Do they turn to an up and comer or someone who's had P5 or NFL success? Or do they stick it out one more year and give him a pass due to 2020 being 2020?

1 minute ago, Gipper said:

We all walk a slippery slope...

I’m going to change my stripes and not be anti-IU today.  Allen’s had a good run at IU.  Not only do we take note, but deep pocketed ADs do as well.  Why be a (well paid) #2 at a basketball school, when you can be the man/head dog/big cheese/numero uno honcho somewhere else?

Side argument (sure to get folks fired up):  IU hasn't been a "basketball school" in over 25 years...

Football coaches tend to make more than those on the hardwood for obvious reasons but it is interesting that Archie and Allen make similar figures.

2 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

I really thought Jim Harbaugh would be home run hire for Michigan, but it just hasn't happened. I mean he's had success in college, NFL, and is a "Michigan" man that I thought would have great success. I thought I read somewhere that JH suffers from memory loss and shows signs of CTE and I wonder if that has effected his coaching ability. I don't know where they turn to from here, it's still Michigan and I'd think they'd have a lot of applicants to go through. Do they turn to an up and comer or someone who's had P5 or NFL success? Or do they stick it out one more year and give him a pass due to 2020 being 2020?

That CTE argument was pure speculation and irresponsible journalism, even if true.  He does have things outside of football going on that are definitely affecting his coaching ability.  Like I said above, no excuses when you are paid as handsomely as he is.

It is also important to remember his track record and that he did not just suddenly forget how to coach football.  Folks may say he is more suited for the NFL game but he did have impressive runs at San Diego and Stanford also.