Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is the end coming for Harbaugh at Michigan?

Guest DT

11 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

This ^^^

DT continually fails to see or completely ignores the recruiting pipeline into USC and Texas has been halted due to coaching athletic department incompetence. 

It's not like Texas and and Southern California stopped playing high school football, recruits just stopped going to those schools because of the current coaching climates. Urban Meyer fixes that instantly and then some. It's easier to recruit at Texas and USC than it is at Michigan naturally, hire one of the best college football coaches of all-time and it becomes cake. 

I disagree for two reasons

1. We have no idea if Meyer has any interest in eith TX or SC.  I believe Meyer was told the SC job was his last year if he wanted it.   I believe he wasn't ready and wanted to stay in TV.   There is no prior connection between Meyer and TX other than Herman

2. I have given my reasons for why TX and SC are not the jobs they used to be   neither fits Meyers personal style.   He is basically a Midwest guy.   Osu.  Nd.  Um. 

10 minutes ago, DT said:

1. We have no idea if Meyer has any interest in eith TX or SC.  I believe Meyer was told the SC job was his last year if he wanted it.   I believe he wasn't ready and wanted to stay in TV.   There is no prior connection between Meyer and TX other than Herman

2. I have given my reasons for why TX and SC are not the jobs they used to be   neither fits Meyers personal style.   He is basically a Midwest guy.   Osu.  Nd.  Um. 

Texas and USC aren't as good as they used to be (currently) because their respective athletic departments keep making bad hire after bad hire compounding the issue. But the USC and Texas job in of itself are top 5 jobs in college football along with OSU, Oklahoma, and LSU. There was a 10-15 year period from the Mid-90's up until Alabama hired Saban where the Crimson Tide sunk into heavy mediocrity due to several consecutive bad hires. Saban righted that ship overnight. The right person at Texas and/or USC has either program right in the thick of things almost overnight. 

3 minutes ago, DT said:

At this point it's just conjecture. You believe he was offered the USC job and you believe he's a Midwest Guy. Maybe he was offered the USC job. Texas and USC are continuously mentioned with Meyer because many believe those are the biggest sleeping giants that can quickly be turned around into CFP contenders. The same would be said for Ohio State if Day wasn't up to their standards. 

Meyer has been in Salt Lake City, Gainesville, and who knows where prior to coming to Columbus. At this point he may no longer care about his Midwestern roots and be more appealed (his wife too) to live in So Cal/Austin than Ann Arbor, let alone South Bend.

43 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I hear this quite often, but when has Meyer actually been quoted as saying it? Was it back when he was an Assistant at ND? 

You continue to ignore Footballking's point. Texas and USC would easily have Top 10, more than likely, Top 5 recruiting classes if Meyer were their coach. Both schools are wallowing due to bad coaching hires and still pulling in respectiable classes. Texas was #8 last year in 247 and USC is currently #7 with quite a few recruits out of Georgia/Florida. Texas is the wealthiest Athletic Dept in the Country and USC is LA's real "Pro" Team. They have an alumni base that cares about football and a rabid subway-alum following. You're really reaching DT if you don't think either of those programs are sleeping giants that Meyer would turn into regular CFP contenders. He isn't going to need years to fix recruiting pipelines. He's Urban Meyer. He calls and players listen. I think you're also underestimating the desire for a lot of recruits to reach the NFL. A lot of offensive skilled players are going to be more worried about Meyer developing them into an NFL draft pick as opposed to playing in the SEC, Big Ten, etc.

https://herosports.com/countdown-trivia-urban-meyer-dream-job-ohio-state-florida-ahah/

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Thanks! He still took Florida when given the chance at ND. It's an odd fit in my opinion. Would he really want to move to South Bend at this point in his life? Would the highbrows in ND's Alumni base want a coach that brings baggage with him? 

6 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Texas and USC aren't as good as they used to be (currently) because their respective athletic departments keep making bad hire after bad hire compounding the issue. But the USC and Texas job in of itself are top 5 jobs in college football along with OSU, Oklahoma, and LSU. There was a 10-15 year period from the Mid-90's up until Alabama hired Saban where the Crimson Tide sunk into heavy mediocrity due to several consecutive bad hires. Saban righted that ship overnight. The right person at Texas and/or USC has either program right in the thick of things almost overnight. 

I think you also have to look at pre covid and post covid impact and status of conference situations.

The SEC and the ACC took aggressive steps forward to minimize disruption to their seasons.  That will pay off for both in the long run.

The Big Ten got back into business just in time.  It seems as if we are rolling inot mid season after just 2 weeks of Big Ten play.

The PAC 12 hasnt even started.  They are in trouble and playing catch up in every phase, including recruiting.  This makes coaching jobs there less appealing to the top candidates.

The Big 12 is a hot mess.  There are no great or elite teams in the conference.  The leagues reputation for  all offense and no defense has been damaging to its reputation, and  has hurt its post season chances for inclusion into the playoffs.  Elite Coaches have taken note of this and are likely to avoid overtures should they come 

10 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Thanks! He still took Florida when given the chance at ND. It's an odd fit in my opinion. Would he really want to move to South Bend at this point in his life? Would the highbrows in ND's Alumni base want a coach that brings baggage with him? 

I've heard from both Martin brothers, whom I grew up with, that Notre Dame wouldn't touch Urban with a 10 foot pole. Wayyyy too much baggage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

This is about UM, not ND.  Kelly isnt going anywhere.  He is rock solid in SB.  I see 4 potential landing spots for Meyer :

1. Stay on TV.  He is good and he likes it there.

2. Back to OSU

3. Replace Harbaugh at UM

4.  NFL - possibly Chicago

9 minutes ago, DT said:

I think you also have to look at pre covid and post covid impact and status of conference situations.

The SEC and the ACC took aggressive steps forward to minimize disruption to their seasons.  That will pay off for both in the long run.

The Big Ten got back into business just in time.  It seems as if we are rolling inot mid season after just 2 weeks of Big Ten play.

The PAC 12 hasnt even started.  They are in trouble and playing catch up in every phase, including recruiting.  This makes coaching jobs there less appealing to the top candidates.

The Big 12 is a hot mess.  There are no great or elite teams in the conference.  The leagues reputation for  all offense and no defense has been damaging to its reputation, and  has hurt its post season chances for inclusion into the playoffs.  Elite Coaches have taken note of this and are likely to avoid overtures should they come 

?

Oklahoma is a perennial CFB participator and would be the second best team in the B10 behind Ohio State, no questions asked. Saying Oklahoma isn't great or elite is flat out preposterous. Texas has the most resources out of any athletic department in the country and COVID isn't changing that. 

Just now, Footballking16 said:

?

Oklahoma is a perennial CFB participator and would be the second best team in the B10 behind Ohio State, no questions asked. Saying Oklahoma isn't great or elite is flat out preposterous. Texas has the most resources out of any athletic department in the country and COVID isn't changing that. 

Oklahoma is not elite this season.  Nowhere near it.

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Oklahoma is not elite this season.  Nowhere near it.

Texas Hall of Famer Blake Brockermeyer is sending his two sons to Alabama to play for Nick Saban.

Linemen dont block in Texas anymore.  They stand around and watch balls fly thru the air for 48 minutes.  

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Blake-Brockermeyer-on-Tommy-Brockermeyer-James-Brockermeyer-picking-Alabama-Nick-Saban-149355496/

Edited by DT

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Notre Dame has landed exactly one 5* in their last 5 recruiting classes, a TE from Kentucky. 

And yet, here they are again this year, hanging around a playoff spot. Counting this season so far, they're record over the past 4 seasons is 39-6. I was never a Brian Kelly fan. But you've got to give credit where credit is due. And if you and @DT are correct that recruiting rankings have a strong correlation to football success, then he deserves even more credit.

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

And yet, here they are again this year, hanging around a playoff spot. Counting this season so far, they're record over the past 4 seasons is 39-6. I was never a Brian Kelly fan. But you've got to give credit where credit is due. And if you and @DT are correct that recruiting rankings have a strong correlation to football success, then he deserves even more credit.

Lets not cry for the Irish.  They have plenty of talent, currently ranked 8th in the 2020 talent composite.  That would make them about the 8th best team in the country.  Again, the rankings reflect on field reality and are spot on

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

Kelly was highly successful at Grand Valley State, Central Michigan, and Cincinnati. I thought at the time of the hire he was a homerun for Notre Dame. He was a proven winnerr and not just a hot coordinator looking for his 1st HC gig. It baffles me when I personally hear ND fans complain that they need a new coach. Though, the ones I know never went to ND and won't be satisfied until ND wins another Title for them to boast about. 

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

Elite takes on more than year ya know? The last 10-15 years without a doubt elite.

OU is not in the same class as AL/CLEM/OSU/GA and LSU last year.  They have been exposed as the tallest midget in the Big 12 with their poor playoff performances.  They will never be a complete team until they become dominant on the defensive side of the ball.  At times, they are outright awful on defense.  That cannot be overlooked, and is a clear indictment of Lincoln Riley's offense always first philosophy.

5 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Kelly was highly successful at Grand Valley State, Central Michigan, and Cincinnati. I thought at the time of the hire he was a homerun for Notre Dame. He was a proven winnerr and not just a hot coordinator looking for his 1st HC gig. It baffles me when I personally hear ND fans complain that they need a new coach. Though, the ones I know never went to ND and won't be satisfied until ND wins another Title for them to boast about. 

Kelly hurt himself early in his tenure with his hot temper and his inability to manage people.  He has grown into the job nicely over the past 3 years and become a much calmer and reserved version of his former self.  The ND brass basically told him to clean up his act or he was done in SB.  Im very impressed with his turnaround, and his record speaks for itself.  His hiring has improved as well.  

Edited by DT

23 minutes ago, DT said:

This is about UM, not ND.  Kelly isnt going anywhere.  He is rock solid in SB.  I see 4 potential landing spots for Meyer :

1. Stay on TV.  He is good and he likes it there.

2. Back to OSU

3. Replace Harbaugh at UM

4.  NFL - possibly Chicago

I think he's too smart to coach for the McCaskey's. IMO, it would be the worst decision any coach could make, but could Jerry Jones convince Meyer to coach the Cowboys. Seems like a move Jerry would make.

Edited by Boilernation

1 minute ago, Boilernation said:

I think he's too smart to play for the McCaskey's. IMO, it would be the worst decision any coach could make, but could Jerry Jones convince Meyer to coach the Cowboys. Seems like a move Jerry would make.

The Bears need to do what the Blackhawks and the Cubs did.  Hire John McDonough to run the operation.  The Bears are lagging in team revenue and do not operate as a big market team should.  McDonough is a marketing genius and he would unlock the revenue coffers that have constrained the Bears for years.  Id love to see what Meyer could do with the Bears.  

38 minutes ago, DT said:

OU is not in the same class as AL/CLEM/OSU/GA and LSU last year.  They have been exposed as the tallest midget in the Big 12 with their poor playoff performances.  They will never be a complete team until they become dominant on the defensive side of the ball.  At times, they are outright awful on defense.  That cannot be overlooked, and is a clear indictment of Lincoln Riley's offense always first philosophy.

I’m not talking about individual seasons. I’m talking about program status. To say Oklahoma isn’t an elite program is preposterous. They’ve consistently been one of the best programs in the country the last 15-20 years. They’ve won 10+ games 17 times since the start of the century. By far and away tops in the country in that regard. 

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

I’m not talking about individual seasons. I’m talking about program status. To say Oklahoma isn’t an elite program is preposterous. They’ve consistently been one of the best programs in the country the last 15-20 years. They’ve won 10+ games 17 times since the start of the century. By far and away tops in the country in that regard. 

Nebraska used to do that too until they joined the Big Ten.  Your comment on OUs success speaks more to the poor overall level of their competition than it does about their program excellence.

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Nebraska used to do that too until they joined the Big Ten.  Your comment on OUs success speaks more to the poor overall level of their competition than it does about their program excellence.

Nebraska had been fading since the late 90s. Eric Crouch and Co was their last good team and they got smoked in the 2000 national title game. Oklahoma is in the next tier of teams behind Clemson/Alabama/OSU. It’s those three and everybody else. Oklahoma I’m my opinion is the best of the rest.

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Nebraska had been fading since the late 90s. Eric Crouch and Co was their last good team and they got smoked in the 2000 national title game. Oklahoma is in the next tier of teams behind Clemson/Alabama/OSU. It’s those three and everybody else. Oklahoma I’m my opinion is the best of the rest.

If you like 7 on 7 Texas style no defense football, OU is your team

I personally enjoy seeing guys like Kingsbury and Riley and Leach get their butts kicked when they run up against a physically superior team.  They have no answer than to keep throwing the ball and try to score as many points as possible.  Im glad we dont have to watch that crap every week in the Big Ten.  

7 minutes ago, DT said:

If you like 7 on 7 Texas style no defense football, OU is your team

I personally enjoy seeing guys like Kingsbury and Riley and Leach get their butts kicked when they run up against a physically superior team.  They have no answer than to keep throwing the ball and try to score as many points as possible.  Im glad we dont have to watch that crap every week in the Big Ten.  

The Big Ten just needs to worry about getting a team in the playoffs. And outside the inaugural year in which Ohio State won it all, it’s not like the B10 has fared any better.  

Michigan State was blanked in 2016.

Ohio State was blanked in 2017.

Big Ten didn’t have a team in 18 or 19.

And Ohio State choked last year.