Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is the end coming for Harbaugh at Michigan?

Guest DT

1 hour ago, Whiting89 said:

I laughed out loud when I saw Oklahoma wasn’t an elite program. 2 of the 3 last heisman winners with a runner up jalen hurts. 2 of the last 3 number 1 picks in nfl draft. Consistent playoff qualifier. What more can they do? 

I wouldnt have either one of those Oklahoma dwarfs running my NFL offense.  The league eventually catches up to these guys.  

When was the last time OU had a high level defensive impact player drafted into the NFL?  Its all undersisized QBs, receivers and running backs, the vast majority of whom make little long term  impact at the next level.  

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-8/schools.html

The truth is, OU and NE built their long term dominance on the backs of a very meek Big 8 Conference.  In 89 years of Big 8 play, OU and NE combined to go 697-223-37.  The rest of the conference (OSU/KU/CU/KSU/MU/ISU) went 1046-1447-133 during that same time period.  

13 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Thanks! He still took Florida when given the chance at ND. It's an odd fit in my opinion. Would he really want to move to South Bend at this point in his life? Would the highbrows in ND's Alumni base want a coach that brings baggage with him? 

No chance. And us “highbrows” would never get the opportunity to express ourselves, because there’s absolutely no possibility that ND is going to seriously consider a coach who has been featured in stories about player arrests, etc., at two different stops in his career ... I don’t care how many national championships he’s won.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DT said:

I wouldnt have either one of those Oklahoma dwarfs running my NFL offense.  The league eventually catches up to these guys.  

When was the last time OU had a high level defensive impact player drafted into the NFL?  Its all undersisized QBs, receivers and running backs, the vast majority of whom make little long term  impact at the next level.  

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-8/schools.html

The truth is, OU and NE built their long term dominance on the backs of a very meek Big 8 Conference.  In 89 years of Big 8 play, OU and NE combined to go 697-223-37.  The rest of the conference (OSU/KU/CU/KSU/MU/ISU) went 1046-1447-133 during that same time period.  

2020 nfl draft pick 23 linebacker Kenneth Murray Oklahoma

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

This may be Harbaugh's last year at Michigan.  He just hasn't won enough, especially the big games, Michigan State and Ohio State.  He has shown he can coach up or recruit a QB either.

The rest of the B1G hopes you’re wrong.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

This may be Harbaugh's last year at Michigan.  He just hasn't won enough, especially the big games, Michigan State and Ohio State.  He has shown he can coach up or recruit a QB either.

I’m not sure he can’t recruit a QB, it’s just that he keeps recruiting over the ones he’s got. Sooner or later you get stuck with what you have left and the good ones go elsewhere. 

On 11/2/2020 at 5:01 PM, DT said:

This is about UM, not ND.  Kelly isnt going anywhere.  He is rock solid in SB.  I see 4 potential landing spots for Meyer :

1. Stay on TV.  He is good and he likes it there.

2. Back to OSU

3. Replace Harbaugh at UM

4.  NFL - possibly Chicago

Just hear about a place in Columbus and I looked it up to see if it's true. Meyer owns an establishment called "Urban Meyer's 7-0 Pint House" in Columbus. I just don't see him ever being a legitimate candidate at Michigan.

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Just hear about a place in Columbus and I looked it up to see if it's true. Meyer owns an establishment called "Urban Meyer's 7-0 Pint House" in Columbus. I just don't see him ever being a legitimate candidate at Michigan.

The UM job has become toxic    People generally avoid toxic situations

3 hours ago, DT said:

The UM job has become toxic    People generally avoid toxic situations

As a Michigan fan, I’ve punched myself in the face every time I’ve seen this thread regain traction and get to the top of the forum.

Many thoughts/claims on here are baseless while some are half truths with some merit.

I have so many thoughts but will take the high road for now.

I’ll leave you with this...

How does a guy who has reached the highest peak of the game (the Super Bowl) with a QB that can no longer find a job and turnaround bottom feeders (San Diego/Stanford) at the college level suddenly be a lame duck coach?

I have the answer (sorta) but want to hear from the “experts” (especially Notre Dame fans (who didn’t fire Kelly after a 4-8 season by the way) on this board.

25 minutes ago, temptation said:

As a Michigan fan, I’ve punched myself in the face every time I’ve seen this thread regain traction and get to the top of the forum.

Many thoughts/claims on here are baseless while some are half truths with some merit.

How does a guy who has reached the highest peak of the game (the Super Bowl) with a QB that can no longer find a job and turnaround bottom feeders (San Diego/Stanford) at the college level suddenly be a lame duck coach?

I have the answer (sorta) but want to hear from the “experts” (especially Notre Dame fans (who didn’t fire Kelly after a 4-8 season by the way) on this board.

Some people are just better suited to the pro game. That’s all. 

58 minutes ago, temptation said:

When you can't beat your two biggest rivals, there comes a time for replacement.  It's as simple as that.

36 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

When you can't beat your two biggest rivals, there comes a time for replacement.  It's as simple as that.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you at all because it’s frustrating.  The MSU narrative is embellished a bit though.  He is 3-3 against the Spartans...the OSU mountain is another story.

This year’s loss to MSU is indefensible.

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with you at all because it’s frustrating.  The MSU narrative is embellished a bit though.  He is 3-3 against the Spartans...the OSU mountain is another story.

This year’s loss to MSU is indefensible.

.500 against an instate rival is unthinkable!  IMHO, the Wolverines need a new voice in the room.

1 minute ago, PHJIrish said:

.500 against an instate rival is unthinkable!  IMHO, the Wolverines need a new voice in the room.

Well, not necessarily.  Dantonio (terrible human being) is a master mind at the disrespect card and getting his guys ready to play.

The 2010’s were the best era in MSU football history and they were no longer a mediocre second rate program.

Not to make excuses, but the “punt debacle” game was a freakish incident and will most likely never be seen in the sport again.

The trajectory of the program has never been the same since the 2016 OSU “spot gate” game.

I am not disagreeing with your notion that a different voice needs to be heard but I have a hard time coming up with a realistic short list of names based on what I know about how the UM athletic department operates.

19 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

@temptation 

Let's hear why you support retaining Coach Harbaugh 

I have never come out and stated that I support retaining him, but I am having trouble coming up with a realistic candidate who has an overall body of work/resume that compares to Jim's.

One thing is for sure, the UM athletic department WILL NOT cut corners that other programs are willing to cut.  That is not an excuse but eliminates anyone with baggage (Hugh Freeze comes to mind).

There is a pretty significant backstory as to why Harbaugh is not the same guy that he used to be and its actually pretty sad/depressing.

I think if he somehow gets to 3-5/4-4 this season, he gets a Covid pass but the D coordinator falls on the knife.

Did ND fire Brian Kelly after their 4-8 season?  How has that turned out?  There are many parallels to both the ND/UM program on and off the field.

4 hours ago, temptation said:

I have never come out and stated that I support retaining him, but I am having trouble coming up with a realistic candidate who has an overall body of work/resume that compares to Jim's.

One thing is for sure, the UM athletic department WILL NOT cut corners that other programs are willing to cut.  That is not an excuse but eliminates anyone with baggage (Hugh Freeze comes to mind).

There is a pretty significant backstory as to why Harbaugh is not the same guy that he used to be and its actually pretty sad/depressing.

I think if he somehow gets to 3-5/4-4 this season, he gets a Covid pass but the D coordinator falls on the knife.

Did ND fire Brian Kelly after their 4-8 season?  How has that turned out?  There are many parallels to both the ND/UM program on and off the field.

Maybe Jim Tressel could get coaxed out of the YSU president's office.

11 hours ago, temptation said:

Coach Rodriguez and baggage?  

What is the significant back story?  Never heard. 

On 11/17/2020 at 10:52 AM, temptation said:

Don Brown has got to go for sure.  Michigan is one of the most talented defenses in the conference and ranks near the bottom.  As much as I love what IU is doing this year, there really isn't any excuse for IU and NW to have a significantly better defense than Michigan.  Maybe Don Brown is a defensive genius, but there is no reason for them to give up so many big plays.  From afar it looks like his guys aren't dialed in to what he wants to do and therefore they make a bunch of mistakes. 

14 hours ago, DE said:

Coach Rodriguez and baggage?  

What is the significant back story?  Never heard. 

Harbaugh is shell of his former self because of some things going on in his personal life.  No excuse as he has a job to do and gets paid handsomely to do it.  He doesn't want anyone to feel sorry for him and only a handful of insiders in Ann Arbor know the story and one (John U. Bacon) has shared it. 

1 hour ago, Lemmy said:

Don Brown has got to go for sure.  Michigan is one of the most talented defenses in the conference and ranks near the bottom.  As much as I love what IU is doing this year, there really isn't any excuse for IU and NW to have a significantly better defense than Michigan.  Maybe Don Brown is a defensive genius, but there is no reason for them to give up so many big plays.  From afar it looks like his guys aren't dialed in to what he wants to do and therefore they make a bunch of mistakes. 

Now this we can agree on.  Michigan was slated to be the youngest of the 130 FBS schools in 2020 BEFORE Covid.  Throw in your starting QB requesting a transfer three weeks before the season starts as well as your best offensive and defensive player opting out and you have the perfect storm.

2 starting offensive linemen and two defensive linemen then get hurt in week 2 along with a starting line backer.

The secondary has gotten ripped apart but it starts with the lack of a pass rush.

Maybe shuffling the coaching deck and taking your lumps in 2020 is the best plan.  I don't know.

34 minutes ago, temptation said:

Now this we can agree on.  Michigan was slated to be the youngest of the 130 FBS schools in 2020 BEFORE Covid.  Throw in your starting QB requesting a transfer three weeks before the season starts as well as your best offensive and defensive player opting out and you have the perfect storm.

2 starting offensive linemen and two defensive linemen then get hurt in week 2 along with a starting line backer.

The secondary has gotten ripped apart but it starts with the lack of a pass rush.

Maybe shuffling the coaching deck and taking your lumps in 2020 is the best plan.  I don't know.

Unfortunately, I’m sure the resolution on your screen is not good enough for you to see that right now I am playing the world’s tiniest violin 🎻.

• Haha 1