Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NIC TEAMS in SECTIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

The Pioneer Bremen game is going to be a lot of fun.  Pioneer is a measuring stick program for small schools.  The Lions get a chance to see where they stack up against one of the best small school programs in the state.  Bremen will need to be fundamentally sound in all facets of the game and get a couple of breaks to pull off an upset.  I'm excited for this match-up.

2 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

The Pioneer Bremen game is going to be a lot of fun.  Pioneer is a measuring stick program for small schools.  The Lions get a chance to see where they stack up against one of the best small school programs in the state.  Bremen will need to be fundamentally sound in all facets of the game and get a couple of breaks to pull off an upset.  I'm excited for this match-up.

I'm looking forward to this one too!  Since we play both of these schools every year, I can sort of get a feel for the programs.  I would say Pioneer - as a small school program - is farther along than Bremen.  They just seem to reload every year, regardless of what they lose to graduation.  But Bremen has a good team this year, so we'll see if they can hang around.  It will be up to Bremen's defense to keep the game within reach.  I believe Pioneer scored touchdowns on every offensive possession against LaVille last Friday.  And that was a one loss LaVille team giving up less than 10 points a game.  Pioneer has also played a much more difficult schedule than Bremen (according to Sagarin).  Curious to see what Bremen can do.

1 hour ago, FinePrint said:

I'm looking forward to this one too!  Since we play both of these schools every year, I can sort of get a feel for the programs.  I would say Pioneer - as a small school program - is farther along than Bremen.  They just seem to reload every year, regardless of what they lose to graduation.  But Bremen has a good team this year, so we'll see if they can hang around.  It will be up to Bremen's defense to keep the game within reach.  I believe Pioneer scored touchdowns on every offensive possession against LaVille last Friday.  And that was a one loss LaVille team giving up less than 10 points a game.  Pioneer has also played a much more difficult schedule than Bremen (according to Sagarin).  Curious to see what Bremen can do.

That is a fair assessment, not going to find to many people who will be willing to argue with your logic.

2 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Checking the IHSAA web site...South Bend Adams is going for the first sectional title EVER.  The school was open in 1940.

I found that hard to believe.

I think maybe you're misunderstanding what they're saying? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.

Either way, Adams does not have a sectional championship (and thus they are going for their first sectional title ever) but they have played in sectional championship games: Hobart in 1985 and 1991, Carroll (FW) in 2012, and Mishawaka in 2015.

20 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I think maybe you're misunderstanding what they're saying? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.

Either way, Adams does not have a sectional championship (and thus they are going for their first sectional title ever) but they have played in sectional championship games: Hobart in 1985 and 1991, Carroll (FW) in 2012, and Mishawaka in 2015.

You are correct...they are going for their first sectional title with a win

It's all good. I was kind of surprised with that.  Washington has two and Clay and Riley have one each

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 9:52 AM, Indian72 said:
Friday, Nov. 6
Chesterton at Elkhart, 7:30 pm
Mishawaka at Adams, 7 pm
Marian at Jimtown, 7 pm
Pioneer at Bremen, 7 pm

2 NIC teams will have their season end due to playing each other

Elkhart -- Probably the NIC's only legit shot at coming away with a victory.

Mishawaka -- Should pull away over the course of the game to win fairly handily.

Marian -- Jimtown can make it interesting for awhile, but eventually Marian's talent and speed will be too much

Bremen -- Total heart pick here.  It is just as likely Pioneer could run away with it, but got to have faith in the Lions.  Pioneer is a tremendous program and this years version is as good as any they have had I believe.   Bremen will not be intimitated though and they will certainly match the physicality of the Panthers.  Two issues really stand out to me though that could be huge disadvantages for Bremen.  One is a major lack of depth.  Too many two way players that are simply beat up at this point in the year.  Not that both teams aren't feeling the effects of a full season, but Bremen has some players playing both ways that might not even play if this was a regular season game.  The other area is special teams.  Bremen does try to give some of the main guys a break on kickoff and kickoff return, could this lead to issues with poor field position or giving up a big play?

2 hours ago, LionKing said:

Bremen -- Total heart pick here.  It is just as likely Pioneer could run away with it, but got to have faith in the Lions.  Pioneer is a tremendous program and this years version is as good as any they have had I believe.   Bremen will not be intimitated though and they will certainly match the physicality of the Panthers.  Two issues really stand out to me though that could be huge disadvantages for Bremen.  One is a major lack of depth.  Too many two way players that are simply beat up at this point in the year.  Not that both teams aren't feeling the effects of a full season, but Bremen has some players playing both ways that might not even play if this was a regular season game.  The other area is special teams.  Bremen does try to give some of the main guys a break on kickoff and kickoff return, could this lead to issues with poor field position or giving up a big play?

Pioneer only has ~30 kids total on the team, with only about half of that number to see the field in a varsity game. Most of our guys play both ways and on special teams.

Completely agree with you though that this will be an extremely physical game, and whoever wins this game will probably be in for a harder hitting game next week.

Edited by FarmerFran
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 3:24 PM, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Checking the IHSAA web site...South Bend Adams is going for the first sectional title EVER.  The school was open in 1940.

I found that hard to believe.

Doesn't really matter that they opened in 1940. Nobody won a sectional until '85ish.