Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Did the HCC and the Mid State make big mistakes when adding FC and PM?

Guest DT

53 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

At some point Conference Indiana has got to give and a potential new conference might have to be formed. CN, Bloomingtons, and Southport need to have something in mind. Terre Hautes will be tough just because of their size and their location to other schools.

The best decision to stabilize CI is to have Perry Meridian and Columbus North swap conferences. C North is the only CI school that's out of the geographic footprint, but it's a perfect fit for the Mid-State. Perry, meanwhile, would have a better schedule in a familiar league.

On 11/3/2020 at 6:11 PM, superjay said:

Next addition to Mid-State will be Danville.  Mark it down!  Only question would be if Tri-West would follow.  I doubt we would.

Danville & Tri-West both need to grow a lot before they join the Mid-State. Both are 3A (Danville on the border of 4A) and most of the Mid-State is 5A (and in PM's case, 6A) and growing a lot faster than those two schools. Whiteland is also on the 6A borderline and Franklin won't be too far behind. Danville & TW might outgrow the Sagamore someday, as they outgrew the old West Central Conference in the late 1990s, but I don't see the Mid-State in their future. 

On 11/3/2020 at 4:30 PM, DanteEstonia said:

The best decision to stabilize CI is to have Perry Meridian and Columbus North swap conferences. C North is the only CI school that's out of the geographic footprint, but it's a perfect fit for the Mid-State. Perry, meanwhile, would have a better schedule in a familiar league.

Perry left Conference Indiana. They are not going back. 

32 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Never say never, particularly since Perry and Southport share a school board and superintendent.

They shared the same superintendent when they left. Have you ever talked to anyone at Perry about the move? I have. Perry wanted to leave CI and did. Southport is happy with the status quo...though they now have a new AD.

Could see both Danville and Lebanon eventually moving into the Mid State.  And Decatur Central moving out of the Mid State, likely to Conference Indiana.

Danville has been adding Mid State schools to their sports schedules in several sports.  And Danville will be 4A for football starting the next cycle.  Lebanon is growing to the point they could be pushing 5A in the not-to-distant future.  

Hamilton Heights, West Lafayette and Sheridan could be possibilities to join the Sagamore, if and when Danville/Lebanon move. 

8 hours ago, PhilLee said:

Could see both Danville and Lebanon eventually moving into the Mid State.  And Decatur Central moving out of the Mid State, likely to Conference Indiana.

Danville has been adding Mid State schools to their sports schedules in several sports.  And Danville will be 4A for football starting the next cycle.  Lebanon is growing to the point they could be pushing 5A in the not-to-distant future.  

Hamilton Heights, West Lafayette and Sheridan could be possibilities to join the Sagamore, if and when Danville/Lebanon move. 

Only way DC leaves is if they get kicked out.   They love the MSC

8 hours ago, PhilLee said:

Decatur Central left Conference Indiana for the Mid-State Conference in 2006. Not sure why they’d want to go back, especially considering Conference Indiana is weaker, unstable, and requires much more travel.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

They shared the same superintendent when they left. Have you ever talked to anyone at Perry about the move? I have. Perry wanted to leave CI and did. Southport is happy with the status quo...though they now have a new AD.

Is Southport truly happy or do they just not have any other options? I honestly don’t know but Conference Indiana used to have six Marion County schools. Decatur Central and Perry Meridian left for the Mid-State, Pike and Lawrence Central left for the MIC, and Franklin Central left for the HCC. Also, Martinsville was also in Conference Indiana and they left for the Mid-State. With other larger-enrollment Indy-area conferences like the MIC, HCC, and Mid-State being at a max capacity of eight schools each, Southport doesn’t have much choice. If Conference Indiana were to fall apart, one would have to think Southport would go independent unless some of the growing Indy area public schools decided to break off from their small-enrollment conferences and form a new one. This is just me spit-balling but I’d truly be curious to know what Southport thinks of its situation.

Edited by Frozen Tundra
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Decatur Central left Conference Indiana for the Mid-State Conference in 2006. Not sure why they’d want to go back, especially considering Conference Indiana is weaker, unstable, and requires much more travel.

What if Columbus East and Roncalli join as well?  Along with Decatur Central.  Becomes a 9 school league.  Would make this a very interesting football conference in a hurry. 

1 hour ago, PhilLee said:

What if Columbus East and Roncalli join as well?  Along with Decatur Central.  Becomes a 9 school league.  Would make this a very interesting football conference in a hurry. 

Columbus East was already offered a spot but declined. The Terre Haute schools were the dealbreaker.

2 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Is Southport truly happy or do they just not have any other options? I honestly don’t know but Conference Indiana used to have six Marion County schools. Decatur Central and Perry Meridian left for the Mid-State, Pike and Lawrence Central left for the MIC, and Franklin Central left for the HCC. Also, Martinsville was also in Conference Indiana and they left for the Mid-State. With other larger-enrollment Indy-area conferences like the MIC, HCC, and Mid-State being at a max capacity of eight schools each, Southport doesn’t have much choice. If Conference Indiana were to fall apart, one would have to think Southport would go independent unless some of the growing Indy area public schools decided to break off from their small-enrollment conferences and form a new one. This is just me spit-balling but I’d truly be curious to know what Southport thinks of its situation.

1. If I were the AD at Southport, I would contact the ADs at Columbus North, Bloomington South and Bloomington North.  The four of us would then offer ouselves as a package deal to the Circle City Conference, as long as the CC drops its small 1A and 2A schools.

It has been stated that 8 schools is the optimum number for a high school conference in Indiana.

The new Circle City would look like this :

Brebeuf

Guerin

Roncalli 

Chatard

Bloom N

Bloom S

Col N

Southport

As much as I hate to leave the TH schools out dangling in the wind, it might be best for their athletic programs to follow the EIAC model, where East Central is the big guy on the block, and you fill the league out with smaller schools from around the region.

1 hour ago, DanteEstonia said:

I wonder when North will follow suit.

I think the door has to open somewhere first. They wouldn’t prefer to go independent. My understanding is that they want to make Conference Indiana work. However, I’m not sure the other schools are as committed. Bloomington North has already tried to leave for the Mid-State but was denied when Perry Meridian was chosen. Not sure how true it is but I’ve heard rumors Bloomington North is wanting to replace Madison as the eighth HHC team. 

9 hours ago, DT said:
  1. If I were the AD at Southport, I would contact the ADs at Columbus North, Bloomington South and Bloomington North.  The four of us would then offer ouselves as a package deal to the Circle City Conference, as long as the CC drops its small 1A and 2A schools.

It has been stated that 8 schools is the optimum number for a high school conference in Indiana.

Brebeuf

Guerin

Roncalli 

Chatard

Bloom N

Bloom S

Col N

Southport

As much as I hate to leave the TH schools out dangling in the wind, it might be best for their athletic programs to follow the EIAC model, where East Central is the big guy on the block, and you fill the league out with smaller schools from around the region.

And there you have. No more Circle City. Screw the city schools. Let’s just call it Bloombusindy.

37 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Didn't they already leave that conference?

Yeah they left after the 1982-1983 school year to join the South Central Conference. When the SCC died after the 1996-1997 school year, Bloomington North, along with three other members (Bloomington South, Columbus North, and Martinsville), helped form Conference Indiana.

On 11/11/2020 at 10:58 PM, PhilLee said:

WL will never leave the Hoosier Conference, joining the Sagamore would be a lateral move at best.

22 hours ago, DT said:

Brebeuf

Guerin

Roncalli 

Chatard

Bloom N

Bloom S

Col N

Southport

Conference Indiana is the ugly stepsister if the IHS double A and the Terre Haute schools are the ugly stepsisters of Conference Indiana.  It wound be much better for them to be in the Western Indiana Conference.  I also think the Bloomington and Columbus schools should hook up with BNL, Martinsville, Franklin, and Whiteland to form Conference Indiana.

• Disdain 1