Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Luers @ Tipton: 2A North Regional

Here we go again! These two teams have some playoff history and as always this game will be at Tipton. I’ve seen this blue devils team on tape and they are very dynamic offensively. The tailback #20 (Lloyd I believe?) is a absolute workhorse. The Qb #2 also can get out and run the ball well. Defensively this team really gets after it, they fire off the ball very well and gang tackle. The knights absolutely have to bring their best game on Friday or this game will get out of hand quickly.

32 minutes ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

Here we go again! These two teams have some playoff history and as always this game will be at Tipton. I’ve seen this blue devils team on tape and they are very dynamic offensively. The tailback #20 (Lloyd I believe?) is a absolute workhorse. The Qb #2 also can get out and run the ball well. Defensively this team really gets after it, they fire off the ball very well and gang tackle. The knights absolutely have to bring their best game on Friday or this game will get out of hand quickly.

Unfortunately #20 Lyons who was a Jr. All State kid tore his ACL and is out for the season. Sophomore Eli Carter has filled in nicely as he just went over 1,000 yards. Miss Lyons on defense though. The strength of Tipton’s team in my opinion is its Receivers. 4-5 kids that are big time playmakers. Looking forward to seeing what this Luers team has but I’m guessing like usual they have speed, speed, speed.

18 minutes ago, Fballfan15 said:

Unfortunately #20 Lyons who was a Jr. All State kid tore his ACL and is out for the season. Sophomore Eli Carter has filled in nicely as he just went over 1,000 yards. Miss Lyons on defense though. The strength of Tipton’s team in my opinion is its Receivers. 4-5 kids that are big time playmakers. Looking forward to seeing what this Luers team has but I’m guessing like usual they have speed, speed, speed.

That’s unfortunate wow. Prayers to him for a speedy recovery! He definitely was the tone setter on both sides from the tape I watched. As far as the Knights go, yes speed as usual. Junior Qb Clark has thrown for 2600 yds and 26 TDs on the year. Like the blue devils, plenty of receivers with junior Glenn being the main target. Just a shade over a 1000 yds with 13 TDs. Last night the duo hooked up for 4 TDs, with Clark having 7 total (6 pass 1 rush)

5 hours ago, Fballfan15 said:

Surprised this thread is so quiet. It seemed the Luers-Tipton threads 8-10 years ago had like 10 pages apiece. Any thoughts on this one?

If I’m being honest, a lot of the old school posters from years ago don’t seem to be on here as much. Also, I feel as if there isn’t as much hype around the Luers program as their once was. This is the longest drought of a state championship appearance in program history after coming of a 6 year span where we won 5 out of 6. 

As far as this game goes, I feel like Tipton does have the upper hand here. They seem to be very disciplined on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. Luers is great offensively, but has struggled all year defensively, especially up front. This game is at Tipton and with that said I honestly give the edge to the Blue Devils.

7 minutes ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

If I’m being honest, a lot of the old school posters from years ago don’t seem to be on here as much. Also, I feel as if there isn’t as much hype around the Luers program as their once was. This is the longest drought of a state championship appearance in program history after coming of a 6 year span where we won 5 out of 6. 

As far as this game goes, I feel like Tipton does have the upper hand here. They seem to be very disciplined on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. Luers is great offensively, but has struggled all year defensively, especially up front. This game is at Tipton and with that said I honestly give the edge to the Blue Devils.

There’s no doubt. I miss Purple Nurple. Good dude! I’m honestly not sure what to expect as far as the game goes. Our strength seems to also be Luers strength as well. Could come down to ball security or special teams. 

15 hours ago, Fballfan15 said:

Surprised this thread is so quiet. It seemed the Luers-Tipton threads 8-10 years ago had like 10 pages apiece. Any thoughts on this one?

AH, the good old days!  I do watch the games on my computer as much as I can, but while I was teaching I was closer to the hearts and minds of the players.  I miss being in the stands and collecting pre- game newspaper articles and forum quotes to post on the wall outside my classroom.  By this time of year, that wall was full from door to door. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

Yes! Good ol’ purple nurple! Luers does have a very good sophomore kicker and ball security will be important. I think really it could also come down to simply who wants it more. As cliche as that sounds. Both programs are tough and gritty traditionally so that may just be the deciding factor. 

So whoever loses didn’t want it as much? I gotta go 

6 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

Hey Maynard... what is the status of Fred ? Is he going to keep up ?

When we are on offense I can drag Fred, when we are on defense I sometimes have to prod him down the sideline.
Maybe Kory should have got the deluxe cattle prod option when he got us new sticks and chain.

If Doug is good to go this week won't have to worry about Fred.

Edited by Maynard111

8 hours ago, LuersLurker said:

AH, the good old days!  I do watch the games on my computer as much as I can, but while I was teaching I was closer to the hearts and minds of the players.  I miss being in the stands and collecting pre- game newspaper articles and forum quotes to post on the wall outside my classroom.  By this time of year, that wall was full from door to door. 

Miss those days! Your classroom had everything from fourm postings to newspaper clippings from the local paper of the school we were playing to the sagarin ratings and schedule of each team. Honestly, I truly feel like that Bulletin board material helped fuel us to the the state championship in ‘07. We fed off stuff like that. I can specifically remember during Jimtown week Coach Lindsay (Matt) showing us a local news interview of Jimtowns two running backs referring to themselves as thunder and lighting and anyone trying to win 2A North had to stop them. So, thank you Lurker for always talking football with us and getting us ready mentally 🙏🏼

3 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

Luers by 7 points or less.

As a Luers alum, I would love for the Knights to win but the defense has been so inconsistent. Every recent state championship team Luers has had (except for 2009) a stout defense.  They can’t expect the offense to win in shootouts every week as the competition gets tougher. I hope they prove me wrong but my gut is telling me the Tipton wins this game.

2 hours ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

As a Luers alum, I would love for the Knights to win but the defense has been so inconsistent. Every recent state championship team Luers has had (except for 2009) a stout defense.  They can’t expect the offense to win in shootouts every week as the competition gets tougher. I hope they prove me wrong but my gut is telling me the Tipton wins this game.

Four quarters of the best Luers football they have in them. Make them beat you.  Don't beat yourselves.  

9 minutes ago, LuersLurker said:

Four quarters of the best Luers football they have in them. Make them beat you.  Don't beat yourselves.  

Agreed. They need to bring this mentality. Limit turnovers and silly penalties. Defensively play fast and physical and through the whistle. If they do that, they will be fine. If not, Tipton can and will take advantage.

20 hours ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

Fair point.  But still, you gotta believe.....

On 11/12/2020 at 11:40 AM, Maynard111 said:

When we are on offense I can drag Fred, when we are on defense I sometimes have to prod him down the sideline.
Maybe Kory should have got the deluxe cattle prod option when he got us new sticks and chain.

If Doug is good to go this week won't have to worry about Fred.

Can't help but worry about Fred... how about we keep Fred AND Doug ?

According to broadcastsport, Summit City Sports will have video feed of game  http://summitcitysports.com/

Just wanna say hats off to the Tipton Blue Devils on a hard fought game and a great season. Much respect! 

Luers tonight played the best game from a defensive standpoint so far in the playoffs. I was really happy to see the physicality! Offensively, another good showing, but a few things to tighten up before next week. Overall, great win Knights! New week, new meat!