Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral vs. Whiteland - Regional Championship

8 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Let’s say I agree with your “most physical teams at any level”. In Fisher’s now 16 seasons as head coach they have won 3 sectionals. And who took them out all 3 times in the regional? You guessed it. And none of them were close. How do you justify your claim?

Whiteland is one of the most disrespected and overlooked programs in the state.  They play in the shadow of CG and schools like DC, Mooresville and Plainfield get more pub that the Warriors.  New Pals emergence has further pushed Whiteland off the map.  This team is on a roll and has done so very quietly this year.  I could see Cathedral looking past them due to prior year success in head to head matchups.

We just saw IU beat Michigan for the first time in 33 years yesterday.  This is not a normal year, and abnormal things will continue to happen until the season is over.  

Edited by DT

10 minutes ago, DT said:

We just saw IU beat Michigan for the first time in 33 years yesterday.  This is not a normal year, and abnormal things will continue to happen until the season is over.  

1. IU is a better team than Michigan, player ratings be damned.

2. When has Cathedral overlooked anyone?

3. What does disrespect have to do with performance? Wouldn’t it only improve it?

4. You already owe me a lunch. Want to go double or nothing? I’ll take the Irish and spot you 13 points.   

46 minutes ago, DT said:

Since the Week 3 loss, Whiteland has been as impressive as almost any other team in the state

That team is going to come in lazer focused with a HUGE chip on their shoulder.   Watch out CHS.  

5A 14 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS FOOTBALL FIELD 9-1
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
WHITELAND
WARRIORS
Coach: Darrin Fisher, 112-66 in 16th year at school, 173-138 in 30th year overall

DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 40.1, DA 13.7
Aug. 21 at Columbus East 6A W 28 21    
Aug. 29 at Gibson Southern 3A W 24 7    
Sep. 4 at Decatur Central 5A © L 14 27    
Sep. 11   Franklin 5A © W 45 21    
Sep. 18   Perry Meridian 6A © W 48 0    
Sep. 25 at Martinsville 4A © W 38 0    
Oct. 2   Mooresville 4A © W 41 35 OT  
Oct. 9 at Plainfield 5A © W 49 13    
Oct. 30   Seymour 5A W 66 0   Sectional 14
Nov. 6   New Palestine 5A W 48 13   Sectional 14
Nov. 13 at Indianapolis Cathedral 5A 7:00 pm    
©MID-STATE CONFERENCE GAME

48-14 Irish

33 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

1. IU is a better team than Michigan, player ratings be damned.  IU is not yet a better "program" than Michigan.  College football excellence is based on sustained success.  Hoosiers have a long way to go.  

2. When has Cathedral overlooked anyone?  All successful teams succumb to hubris and overconfidence at some point.  Its not easy to spot sometimes, but it does indeed happen.  Perhaps for the Irish this year it happened on the trip to WRT.  Just sayin' 

3. What does disrespect have to do with performance? Wouldn’t it only improve it?   My old high school foootball coach used to say. "Region kids play with a chip on their shoulder." Sometimes that chip feels like a boulder and brings out the very best in people.  CHS will see that Friday night against Whiteland.

4. You already owe me a lunch. Want to go double or nothing? I’ll take the Irish and spot you 13 points.   I cant afford your high end taste.  And Im happy to buy and celebreate the great success of my beloved Crimson and Cream.

Edited by DT

Cathedral will win because they are clearly the best team in 5A and its a coin-flip between them and CG for best team in the state.  But it won't be nearly the blowout on the scoreboard with Whiteland because WL will limit possessions and frustrate Cathedral at times with their offense.  So expect a 28-7 type of final score.  No running clock this week.    Still a fairly one-sided result but don't expect the high scoring rout that some are expecting. 

I don’t know much about Whiteland, but they sure look one-dimensional. I know the score was lopsided last Friday, but only 2 pass completions on the night?? If they call a similar game this weekend, I can’t see our front 7 not being able to stop the run. Senior captains on D-line (Guhl, Scruggs) and one of the best emerging linebacking crew of juniors in the state (Miller, Goheen, Utzinger). 

And, we’ll definitely score points. Whiteland best not get behind early. 

13 hours ago, DT said:

Whiteland is one of the most disrespected and overlooked programs in the state.  They play in the shadow of CG and schools like DC, Mooresville and Plainfield get more pub that the Warriors.  New Pals emergence has further pushed Whiteland off the map.  This team is on a roll and has done so very quietly this year.  I could see Cathedral looking past them due to prior year success in head to head matchups.

No disrespect to Whiteland but this will be a 2-3 score game 6-7 minutes into the game. Cathedral will then go on cruise control until the mercy rule sets in sometime early in the 3rd Q and the 2's and whoever else that is left on the dress will play out the remaining minutes. 

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

No disrespect to Whiteland but this will be a 2-3 score game 6-7 minutes into the game. Cathedral will then go on cruise control until the mercy rule sets in sometime early in the 3rd Q and the 2's and whoever else that is left on the dress will play out the remaining minutes. 

That sounds very disrespectful to Whiteland who is in the midst of the most successful season in school history.  They would be wise to post the comments of yourself and a few of your cohorts in the lockerroom for additional motivation.  There is nothing more motivating for a gritty community like Whiteland than the knowledge that your snooty rich competitor is looking down his nose at you before a big game.  

32 minutes ago, DT said:

That sounds very disrespectful to Whiteland who is in the midst of the most successful season in school history.  They would be wise to post the comments of yourself and a few of your cohorts in the lockerroom for additional motivation.  There is nothing more motivating for a gritty community like Whiteland than the knowledge that your snooty rich competitor is looking down his nose at you before a big game.  

It is what it is.

Cathedral in their own right is in the midst of arguably their greatest season and have been steamrolling teams. No real disrespect to Whiteland but for Cathedral to lose this game it would take colossal failure on several fronts. Cathedral, along with Center Grove, are simply on different planets than the rest of teams this year. 

I'm predicting a 48-7 win for the Irish.  

Edited by Footballking16

12 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral, along with Center Grove, are simply on different planets than the rest of teams this year. 

Will Cathedral ever consider opting to move up and remain in 6A? Honest question. Not trying to troll. I would think a rematch with Center Grove would be more rewarding than picking up easy hardware in 5A. 

11 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Will Cathedral ever consider opting to move up and remain in 6A? Honest question. Not trying to troll. I would think a rematch with Center Grove would be more rewarding than picking up easy hardware in 5A. 

The new 2.0 Multiplier Proposal can make that happen

23 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

No and they shouldn't have too. No school should voluntarily play up 2 classes especially when opposing schools have 3-4x their enrollment. 

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

No and they shouldn't have too. No school should voluntarily play up 2 classes especially when opposing schools have 3-4x their enrollment. 

The 56th Street Traveling Catholic All Stars are the exception to the rule.  

Cathedral has become the "IMG" of Indiana football.  

1 hour ago, DT said:

Cathedral hasn't been to the dome since 2014. Calling them the "IMG" of Indiana football because they're having a good season is a bit of a stretch.

1 minute ago, GC42 said:

Cathedral hasn't been to the dome since 2014. Calling them the "IMG" of Indiana football because they're having a good season is a bit of a stretch.

I believe somebody said previously in this thread that this is possibly Cathedrals best ever team.

IMG wasnt built overnite.  Neither were the 2020 Cathedral Fighting Irish.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Agreed. You can't schedule like they do, be blessed with the talent they have on a yearly basis, and then say enrollment is a hinderance to playing 6A teams. At least 95% of 6A teams are never good enough to be on par with an average Cathedral team, IMO of course. Oh well, it's their right to remain in 5A and I'm sure they have reasons within their Athletic Department to not want to set a precedent of moving up voluntarily. 

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Agreed. You can't schedule like they do, be blessed with the talent they have on a yearly basis, and then say enrollment is a hinderance to playing 6A teams. At least 95% of 6A teams are never good enough to be on par with an average Cathedral team, IMO of course. Oh well, it's their right to remain in 5A and I'm sure they have reasons within their Athletic Department to not want to set a precedent of moving up voluntarily. 

There is a real dichotomy that exists relative to the Cathedral way of thinking.  They insist on loading up their regular season schedule with a murderers row of quality opponents, and yet they will allow themselves on the other hand to play in a Class 4A state tournament.

Ive never bought in to the theory that CHS is into the idea of stacking its trophy case to the brim.  Thats sounds more like Roncalli.  They seem to want the very best in terms of competition for their boys.

Why not just put the issue to rest and self designate as a 6A program?  Isnt that the right and honorable thing to do if you truly believe in competitive balance?

54 minutes ago, DT said:

I believe somebody said previously in this thread that this is possibly Cathedrals best ever team.

IMG wasnt built overnite.  Neither were the 2020 Cathedral Fighting Irish.

IMG literally has kids from all over the country and Canada and has 4 and 5* players at every position. To my knowledge there isn't a single kid on Cathedral, who to date has a Power 5 offer. Calling Cathedral a traveling all star team and comparing them to IMG is over the top, even for you. 

Yes, Cathedral is having an exceptionally strong year a big reason being a phenomenal junior class, but Cathedral's last 3 tournaments have ended in this fashion: 

Regional New Pal 35-10 (4a school by enrollment)

Sectional Final Decatur 21-14

Semi-State Columbus East 42-13 

Cathedral hasn't won a state title since 2014. I don't disagree for a second that Cathedral couldn't compete in 6A year in and year out. But classification isn't built on could and couldn't compete. 

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

IMG literally has kids from all over the country and Canada and has 4 and 5* players at every position. To my knowledge there isn't a single kid on Cathedral, who to date has a Power 5 offer. Calling Cathedral a traveling all star team and comparing them to IMG is over the top, even for you. 

Yes, Cathedral is having an exceptionally strong year a big reason being a phenomenal junior class, but Cathedral's last 3 tournaments have ended in this fashion: 

Regional New Pal 35-10 (4a school by enrollment)

Sectional Final Decatur 21-14

Semi-State Columbus East 42-13 

Cathedral hasn't won a state title since 2014. I don't disagree for a second that Cathedral couldn't compete in 6A year in and year out. But classification isn't built on could and couldn't compete. 

I didnt say Cathedral is the same as IMG.  I said Cathedral is the IMG of Indiana.  Like IMG, Cathedral has a football program that is different in terms of makeup relative to all the other schools in the state, both public and PP.

Both schools are football magnets.

That is essentially their mutual bond.

58 minutes ago, DT said:

There is a real dichotomy that exists relative to the Cathedral way of thinking.  They insist on loading up their regular season schedule with a murderers row of quality opponents, and yet they will allow themselves on the other hand to play in a Class 4A state tournament.

Cathedral hasn't played in a 4A tournament in almost a decade. Cathedral loads up on its regular season schedule due to the terrible postseason format the IHSAA has regulated.

With no penalty or reward for regular season play, why wouldn't you do anything but play the best competition that gets you ready for the postseason? Is taking advantage of a poor system the fault of Cathedral?

20 minutes ago, DT said:

I didnt say Cathedral is the same as IMG.  I said Cathedral is the IMG of Indiana.  Like IMG, Cathedral has a football program that is different in terms of makeup relative to all the other schools in the state, both public and PP.

Both schools are football magnets.

That is essentially their mutual bond.

What do you mean football magnets?

The only common bond Cathedral and IMG share is the fact they are both technically considered high schools and that is about it. And this doesn't start and stop with football, but IMG's sole person is to offer an education to athletes looking to enhance their athletic ability. It's literally in their mission statement. You don't go to IMG unless you have legitimate professional aspirations in your desired sport. 

Edited by Footballking16

3 hours ago, DT said:

The new 2.0 Multiplier Proposal can make that happen

Cathedral has been in 6A before - I think after running off 5 straight 5A championships.  Isn't that the whole purpose of the success factor?  If we win state this year and next year, we will be in 6A regardless who wants us there or not.  Most fans and alumni I know are 50/50 split wanting to stay in 6A long-term.  We play the best talented teams (as many 6A Indiana schools) that want to play us in the regular reason so that would never change.  As far as 'self designate as a 6A program' I don't think schools can do that even if they wanted too.

Irish 49

Whiteland 21