Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral vs. Whiteland - Regional Championship

On 11/8/2020 at 5:02 PM, DT said:

This one could be setting up as the colossal upset of the season, maybe the decade.  

If ever a team could sneak up on Cathedral, it would be Whiteland.  They are solid in every aspect of the game.  Big and strong.  Very athletic

They will be sky high after pounding New Pal   Darrin Fisher's teams do not get intimidated.  They will meet Cathedral head on and goe toe to toe

welp, like I said, kiss of death...lol

9 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Terrible match-up for Whiteland. One dimensional with no vertical passing game is a recipe for disaster. Fly sweep offense plays right into Cathedral’s defensive scheme.

Can you explain? Seems Whiteland had success running the ball against some good teams this year. What does Cathedral do differently? Or is it simply a “Jimmy’s and Joes” thing?

1 hour ago, cbc34 said:

Can you explain? Seems Whiteland had success running the ball against some good teams this year. What does Cathedral do differently? Or is it simply a “Jimmy’s and Joes” thing?

Obviously Cathedral is more talented than Whiteland, but Cathedral’s 3-3 stack is all gap assignment football and just begs for teams to run east-west. If you’re going to challenge Cathedral, you have to run right at them, not around them.

2 hours ago, cbc34 said:

Whiteland's offense can only take you so far.  If you have the dudes, you can shut them down.  Especially when they are so limited in the passing game.  New Palestine was able to do it last year.  Cathedral this year.  Play solid assignment football, read your keys, make tackles.

39 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Whiteland's offense can only take you so far.  If you have the dudes, you can shut them down.  Especially when they are so limited in the passing game.  New Palestine was able to do it last year.  Cathedral this year.  Play solid assignment football, read your keys, make tackles.

Cathedral is a 6A program.  Hopefully Peebles will recognize that and push his admin to petition the IHSAA for a permanent promotion to the top classification.  

22 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

That was quick. Any thoughts on the game?

I didint see the game, but clearly Whitelands inability to throw the ball kiiled any chances for a comeback.  Whiteland is in a small group of schools that can claim that they are the best 5A public school in the state, along with DC, ZV and VALPO.  Cathedrals walkover in this contest clearly proves the point that the school is not giving its kids the opportunity to play at the highest level in state.  

38 minutes ago, DT said:

Cathedral is a 6A program.  Hopefully Peebles will recognize that and push his admin to petition the IHSAA for a permanent promotion to the top classification.  

Seriously?  Two years ago they were willing to move down to 4A until the IHSAA revised the points in the Tournament Success Factor.  They aren't petitioning anyone.

1 minute ago, DT said:

I didint see the game, but clearly Whitelands inability to throw the ball kiiled any chances for a comeback.  Whiteland is in a small group of schools that can claim that they are the best 5A public school in the state, along with DC, ZV and VALPO.  Cathedrals walkover in this contest clearly proves the point that the school is not giving its kids the opportunity to play at the highest level in state.  

Clearly wasn’t an issue for the last three public schools that knocked Cathedral out of the tournament.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Seriously?  Two years ago they were willing to move down to 4A until the IHSAA revised the points in the Tournament Success Factor.  They aren't petitioning anyone.

Its clear from past reporting that thererhave been some internal struggles at Cathedral relative to the 6A issue.  I believe that if I recall correctly, former Coach Streiff wanted to move up to 6A, while members of the administative team were against the idea.  I believe this caused friction within the athletic department and contributed to Streiffs decision to walk awy from CHS.  There are many CHS  insiders here who can comment in more detail.  

Cathedral is stronger now that it was in the Streiff years.

The admin may be more open to the concept now than they were in the past.

Edited by DT

4 minutes ago, DT said:

#1 You just listed 4 schools in 5A that have never won a 5A state championship.  And that statement makes sense to you?

#2 I actually agree.  Cathedral should permanently be in 6A.  They play a 6A schedule.  Makes no sense to slum it in the tournament.  With the win last night, they are assured of remaining in 5A in the next cycle.  Even with a likely state championship, they cannot move to 6A.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Its clear from past reporting that thererhave been some internal struggles at Cathedral relative to the 6A issue.  I believe that if I recall correctly, former Coach Streiff wanted to move up to 6A, while members of the administative team were against the idea.  I believe this caused friction within the athletic department and contributed to Streiffs decision to walk awy from CHS.  Therer are many CHS  insiders here who can comment in more detail.  

Streiff didn’t walk away from anything. He’s the current AD at Cathedral.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Its clear from past reporting that thererhave been some internal struggles at Cathedral relative to the 6A issue.  I believe that if I recall correctly, former Coach Streiff wanted to move up to 6A, while members of the administative team were against the idea.  I believe this caused friction within the athletic department and contributed to Streiffs decision to walk awy from CHS.  Therer are many CHS  insiders here who can comment in more detail.  

Wrong.  Peebles was the coach in 2018 when the decision was made to go down to 4A.  Only a rule change kept them in 5A for 2019 and 2020.

12 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Wrong.  Peebles was the coach in 2018 when the decision was made to go down to 4A.  Only a rule change kept them in 5A for 2019 and 2020.

Is it your understanding that there has never been any internal discussion or disagreement relative to the idea of Cathedral playing in 6A?  Do you have first hand knowledge of this?

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Is it your understanding that there has never been any internal discussion or disagreement relative to the idea of Cathedral playing in 6A?  Do you have first hand knowledge of this?

How would I know if there is internal discussion?  All I know is what I saw.  We were all at the Indianapolis Colts 7v7 tournament when the news broke that Cathedral would be staying in 5A and not moving down to 4A.  Their coaches were not happy.  If they weren't happy about staying in 5A, I'm willing to guess there was very little interest in moving to 6A, lol.

Edited by CaptainHook