Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A Southern Regional: Triton Central @ Mater Dei

Rematch from 2019 where TC Defense made life difficult for MD Offense and TC took home the Regional title 13 - 7.  As I recall, there was very little conversation btwn fans leading up to that game so not certain we can expect a whole lot more this time around.  Would enjoy hearing from TC opponents on the GID about what makes TC go this year:  defense, offense, blend of both?  

Who ya got and why...

Count me as a big supporter of Mater Dei this week. I’ve not wanted a team to get revenge over BS gamesmanship from the year before so much in a long time.

Can MD set kickoff for Friday at 4:00pm? That seems fair.

Edited by oldtimeqb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Kill me now 1

16 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Count me as a big supporter of Mater Dei this week. I’ve not wanted a team to get revenge over BS gamesmanship from the year before so much in a long time.

Can MD set kickoff for Friday at 4:00pm? That seems fair.

I agree 100%.  The start time TC set last year was bush league.  Here’s hoping MD wins big and pours it on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Kill me now 1

Per IHSAA by-laws - the visiting team can request "day of game" - home team can then set the "time of day" the game will be played. If Saturday is requested, it's more than likely understood that travel is an issue. Last year, MD requested a Saturday game, having to go more than 3+ hours on a bus - Triton then sets the game time at 11 am, or noon, can't remember. Pretty busch league on their part

Takes a lot for me to root for our ol parochial rivals in the South, but just this one time, I'd like to see them lay the hammer down for last year. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jets said:

Per IHSAA by-laws - the visiting team can request "day of game" - home team can then set the "time of day" the game will be played. If Saturday is requested, it's more than likely understood that travel is an issue. Last year, MD requested a Saturday game, having to go more than 3+ hours on a bus - Triton then sets the game time at 11 am, or noon, can't remember. Pretty busch league on their part

Takes a lot for me to root for our ol parochial rivals in the South, but just this one time, I'd like to see them lay the hammer down for last year. 

Technically both.  A 3+ hour bus ride and losing an hour due to time change. 

Triton set kickoff for noon EST, which is 11 AM here in Evansville. 

2 hours ago, Robert said:

It is what it is.  Mater Dei had some bus issues, too, last year.  They just couldn't get it together.  Maybe MD should have driven up on Friday.

That was one option.  Are you offering to write the check for hotel & meal expenses?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

That was one option.  Are you offering to write the check for hotel & meal expenses?

No, but I'm sure there is some wealthy person that might be able to help out.  The church is quite wealthy, but as a member I understand that it is distributed unwisely. That's another story.  I was there and thought that MD was the better team, but the timing was just a bit off. 

Edited by Robert

45 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

I think they did go up the night before.  Maybe it was just starters that did.  I also think there was a fender bender that backed up traffic and kept the team from arriving as early as they usually do.  

20 minutes ago, Robert said:

No, but I'm sure there is some wealthy person that might be able to help out.  The church is quite wealthy, but as a member I understand that it is distributed unwisely. That's another story.  I was there and thought that MD was the better team, but the timing was just a bit off. 

You have some great ideas for spending other people's money.

Perhaps you can chime in on their curriculum as well?  Why didn't they just let the players out of school Friday so they could travel up and play that night? School isn't THAT important and they probably weren't learning anything anyway. 

21 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Rematch from 2019 where TC Defense made life difficult for MD Offense and TC took home the Regional title 13 - 7.  As I recall, there was very little conversation btwn fans leading up to that game so not certain we can expect a whole lot more this time around.  Would enjoy hearing from TC opponents on the GID about what makes TC go this year:  defense, offense, blend of both?  

Who ya got and why...

According to MaxPreps it looks like their D is the strong suit. They had only given up 108 points as of 10/30. Leading rusher is a freshman (#28 Crawford 5'9 165). 145 carries for 975 yds. Next leading rusher is a senior Kermode (#23 5'11 200). 76 carries for 438 yds. Senior QB Hebauf (#6) will keep a little also. Top two receivers are sophomores (#20 & #24) with like 12 catches each. Hebauf had about 50% completion percentage and more INTs than PaTDs (3 PaTD/4 INTs) as of 10/30.

5 hours ago, XStar said:

Winning Sectional 30 kind of makes you the State Champ in waiting.  

I agree. Looked at one way the winner of Sectional 30 this year is the State Champ in waiting. And they most likely will be waiting a long time.  No current Sectional 30 team has ever played in a state championship football game. I don't think that is going to change anytime soon so, yes they are waiting.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

You're in the wrong thread I'm afraid. These two come from sectionals 39 and 40. 

You are correct.  I temporarily forgot the correct number of the Sectional of Dominance.  40 it is.  

Also, there was a ridiculous traffic tie up on 465 which did not appear to be only due to a traffic accident because the tie up was in place  well before the game started and well after the game was over.  We left 5 hours early to get to the game and got there 1/2 hour late.  It's lucky the team got there at all.  As far as going up on Friday for a Saturday game. How do you accommodate 60+players if you go up on Friday night? Where do you stay? How do you feed that many?  How much does that cost? With all that in mind,  If it's true that per the IHSAA a team has to be on the field exactly at the scheduled start time or they forfeit the game:  I think it's time the IHSAA reconsider that policy for circumstances just like this. I would hate to think  a late arrival could be engineered to cause a forfeit.

Enough of that -otherwise:

Beside the ratings, some more detailed comparison information:  TC They lost their third game to Indy Lutheran 14-7, Indy Lutheran was beaten in their sixth game by Northview 26-25, Northview was beaten by Ev.Memorial in the tournament 28-6.

29 minutes ago, EVVHSFOOTBALL said:

Also, there was a ridiculous traffic tie up on 465 which did not appear to be only due to a traffic accident because the tie up was in place  well before the game started and well after the game was over.  We left 5 hours early to get to the game and got there 1/2 hour late.

I'm not sure why anyone would take 465 if traveling from Evansville. That wouldn't be prudent.

3 hours ago, EVVHSFOOTBALL said:

Also, there was a ridiculous traffic tie up on 465 which did not appear to be only due to a traffic accident because the tie up was in place  well before the game started and well after the game was over.  We left 5 hours early to get to the game and got there 1/2 hour late.  It's lucky the team got there at all.  As far as going up on Friday for a Saturday game. How do you accommodate 60+players if you go up on Friday night? Where do you stay? How do you feed that many?  How much does that cost? With all that in mind,  If it's true that per the IHSAA a team has to be on the field exactly at the scheduled start time or they forfeit the game:  I think it's time the IHSAA reconsider that policy for circumstances just like this. I would hate to think  a late arrival could be engineered to cause a forfeit.

Beside the ratings, some more detailed comparison information:  TC They lost their third game to Indy Lutheran 14-7, Indy Lutheran was beaten in their sixth game by Northview 26-25, Northview was beaten by Ev.Memorial in the tournament 28-6.

Also, Linton beat Providence 27-7 and TC beat Providence 35-7.  MD beat Linton 37-20.  Not sure what this tells us other than Linton and TC had similar games vs Providence and MD blew out Linton.  Are Linton and TC actually similar?  Any Providence fans on here that want to weigh in?

4 hours ago, South Paw said:

According to MaxPreps it looks like their D is the strong suit. They had only given up 108 points as of 10/30. Leading rusher is a freshman (#28 Crawford 5'9 165). 145 carries for 975 yds. Next leading rusher is a senior Kermode (#23 5'11 200). 76 carries for 438 yds. Senior QB Hebauf (#6) will keep a little also. Top two receivers are sophomores (#20 & #24) with like 12 catches each. Hebauf had about 50% completion percentage and more INTs than PaTDs (3 PaTD/4 INTs) as of 10/30.

Agree.  Per their stats, they are a good but not great running team with around 180 yds per game.  Total offense is only around 230 yds per game...kind of makes you wonder how they scored so many pts...must have a really good D.  S

Still, I am going to give the rematch to the Wildcats 31 - 14.  No real reason other than I am an admitted & unapologetic "homer" & a die-hard Wildcat fan!  

Edited by MDAlum82

22 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Agree.  Per their stats, they are a good but not great running team with around 180 yds per game.  Total offense is only around 230 yds per game...kind of makes you wonder how they scored so many pts...must have a really good D.  S

Still, I am going to give the rematch to the Wildcats 31 - 14.  No real reason other than I am an admitted & unapologetic "homer" & a die-hard Wildcat fan!  

For what it's worth...based on box scores, L-S was up on Providence 7-0 at the half and went on to win 27-7. L-S scored 14 points in the 4th qtr. to pull away. Triton Central was up 27-0 against Providence at the half before coasting to a 35-7 win. TC would appear to be stronger than L-S based just on that comparison, but each game is different. No idea what the actual situations were. Were teams missing players for injuries or COVID? Who knows?

5 hours ago, EVVHSFOOTBALL said:

Not sure how it works, but my MD team in 89 played back to back weekends at Monrovia and Triwest. 

Stayed in Cloverdale both weekends.   Rumor was IHSAA payed for some of travel fees, but not positive.