Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A Southern Regional: Triton Central @ Mater Dei

Mater Dei tried to play at a reasonable time on Saturday last year?  And, apparently, Triton Central designated NOON (11:00 AM for Evansville) as game time.

When those great Evansville teams (Memorial and Reitz back in the day) had to come to Indy, both Chatard and Cathedral were always willing to sign off for late Saturday afternoon games....because they RESPECTED their opponent and wanted to win or lose in a straight-up game.  Honestly...something I don’t really think publics understand about Catholics.

Despite being a Central Indiana guy, I’m hoping Mater Dei wins in a beat down this Friday. 

Honestly hoping Tim Able had nothing to do with last year’s “Noon” decision.  

40 minutes ago, coachmay said:

In the 2010 Regional Championship game, Brownstown Central chose to play on a Saturday. Mater Dei chose 10am {Evansville time} as the game time.

Coach, I am a distant fan and I have such an incredible respect for what you have done at BC.  Thank you for that rare, brief and factual post.  Yet an important one giving context.

Apparently, what comes around may well go around... I, somewhat sheepishly, retract my prior comments.

In any event, it wasn’t right in 2010 and it wasn’t any more right in 2019....but we all have long memories. 

Makes me feel a TON different as regards this current game.

What is bush league is adults arguing over choices made by the schools.

If either school had/has an issue with the day and time chosen, they should have reached out and discussed it with the other school and/or just forfeited instead of whining about it.

4 hours ago, coachmay said:

In the 2010 Regional Championship game, Brownstown Central chose to play on a Saturday. Mater Dei chose 10am {Evansville time} as the game time.

I assume what you are saying is accurate but isn't Brownstown about 90 minutes from Evansville? The game was played at 11:00 AM Brownstown's time which means they could have left their school at 8:00 AM and been at the field by 9:30 AM. Not exactly the same as MD making a 3 hour bus ride for a game that started at 11:00 AM Evansville time. But it's all over now and doesn't really matter anymore. 

7 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

What is bush league is adults arguing over choices made by the schools.

If either school had/has an issue with the day and time chosen, they should have reached out and discussed it with the other school and/or just forfeited instead of whining about it.

Love ya’ man but I’ve rode that really, really, long@ss bus trip to Evansville on a Friday and saw the kids I love simply get whoooped.   Not just once, but twice.  I saw a really great Cathedral team (not that I loved THEM) simply get SLAUGHTERED going down on a Friday. 

If folks from either side choose to play on Saturday it just seems fair that the game is played late afternoon.  To a point, if these schools even hope to teach their students about honor and virtue then they wouldn’t manipulate the play time.....rather they would choose a fair fight.

Back in 2010 Reitz and MD both played on the same day I believe. Since we share the same home field there was a scheduling conflict of sorts.  Reitz/East Central picked 4pm as their game time so MD had to choose a time earlier in the day or pick another field, since Brownstown didn’t want to play on Friday. They chose to play earlier in the day. 10am might be on the early side, but you have to account for getting teams and personnel in and out well before Reitz’s 4pm start time.

12 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Love ya’ man but I’ve rode that really, really, long@ss bus trip to Evansville on a Friday and saw the kids I love simply get whoooped.   Not just once, but twice.  I saw a really great Cathedral team (not that I loved THEM) simply get SLAUGHTERED going down on a Friday. 

If folks from either side choose to play on Saturday it just seems fair that the game is played late afternoon.  To a point, if these schools even hope to teach their students about honor and virtue then they wouldn’t manipulate the play time.....rather they would choose a fair fight.

How do you know 2019 game time was decided by only 1 school?  Both schools(Triton Central AND Evansville Mater Dei) played Girl's basketball games that night. 11/16/2019. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes sports other than the football cash cow factor in to school decisions.

15 minutes ago, Moonshiners said:

Back in 2010 Reitz and MD both played on the same day I believe. Since we share the same home field there was a scheduling conflict of sorts.  Reitz/East Central picked 4pm as their game time so MD had to choose a time earlier in the day or pick another field, since Brownstown didn’t want to play on Friday. They chose to play earlier in the day. 10am might be on the early side, but you have to account for getting teams and personnel in and out well before Reitz’s 4pm start time.

Does MD ever play home games on their own field, or is that just for practice?  I was there for a wrestling tourney last spring and saw they had a nice turf field, but don't really remember seeing a scoreboard.

15 minutes ago, Moonshiners said:

In 2007 Mater Dei played North Posey at Gibson Southern it was a MD home game, in 2011 they again chose to play a home game away at Central against North Posey, MD has a history of having home games on other fields. Why couldn't they have moved in 2010? In 2012 they refused to play NP at Central in the sectionals, but because they agreed to the year before the game was played at Central again. I believe the IHSAA was involved in 2012 but I'm just going from memory and I wasn't on the phone with the AD's at the time of the decision. 

2 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Does MD ever play home games on their own field, or is that just for practice?  I was there for a wrestling tourney last spring and saw they had a nice turf field, but don't really remember seeing a scoreboard.

They use it for practice. Varsity home games are at Reitz Bowl. It is nice though...I just wish they had it back when I went to school there!

22 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

You have some great ideas for spending other people's money.

Perhaps you can chime in on their curriculum as well?  Why didn't they just let the players out of school Friday so they could travel up and play that night? School isn't THAT important and they probably weren't learning anything anyway. 

There are a myriad of ways to make up the lost seat time and money. 

3 minutes ago, Moonshiners said:

They use it for practice. Varsity home games are at Reitz Bowl. It is nice though...I just wish they had it back when I went to school there!

Well, surely they had that cool old gym at the time. Really enjoyed seeing the gym.

1 minute ago, gonzoron said:

How do you know 2019 game time was decided by only 1 school?  Both schools(Triton Central AND Evansville Mater Dei) played Girl's basketball games that night. 11/16/2019. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes sports other than the football cash cow factor in to school decisions.

I don’t know....and others just above spoke about extenuating factors in 2010 forcing that game time. Even so, Evansville has a variety of fields to chose from.

I understand that there are other sports....and I should pay attention to them.

I’m not trying to be too “wimpish” about this (on either side) but if you are either driving up from or down to Evansville it should be a late afternoon or evening Saturday game..  

6 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I’m wondering exactly how many of these types of decisions have to be made in a typical tournament season. Surely less than a dozen. Why doesn’t the IHSAA just set the day and time, after receiving all available input from the schools involved?

STOP MAKING SENSE!  Someone's brain is going to EXPLODE!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spitting Llamas said:

I assume what you are saying is accurate but isn't Brownstown about 90 minutes from Evansville? The game was played at 11:00 AM Brownstown's time which means they could have left their school at 8:00 AM and been at the field by 9:30 AM. Not exactly the same as MD making a 3 hour bus ride for a game that started at 11:00 AM Evansville time. But it's all over now and doesn't really matter anymore. 

No, Brownstown is about 2 hours and 34 minutes from Evansville Mater Dei.

14 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I’m wondering exactly how many of these types of decisions have to be made in a typical tournament season. Surely less than a dozen. Why doesn’t the IHSAA just set the day and time, after receiving all available input from the schools involved?

I have been a proponent of Indiana adopting the Illinois model for regional and semi-state where the day is Saturday and teams agree on a kickoff time between 12 and 7. (Maybe it's 1 and 7, but still the idea remains.)   That is primarily because their tournament is seeded and everyone has to travel, but I don't want to open that can of worms. 

Our geography based tournament means that regional is the level where the corners of the state really start to get the short end of the stick.  Just looking here locally- Mater Dei and Triton Central are about 3 hours minimum by car. The other 2A regional in the south (Western Boone and Heritage Christian) is only about 45 minutes.  In 4A Mooresville takes on Evansville Central (2.5 hours) while Roncalli plays MtV Fortville (40 min).  The logistics of being the road team is completely different for Sectional 39/40 winners and Sectional 23/24 as opposed to the central Indiana ones. 

PS - I don't know what @Lysander is talking about.  Regional and Semi State games in Evansville on Friday night is always a fun time. 🙂 

13 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I have been a proponent of Indiana adopting the Illinois model for regional and semi-state where the day is Saturday and teams agree on a kickoff time between 12 and 7. (Maybe it's 1 and 7, but still the idea remains.)   That is primarily because their tournament is seeded and everyone has to travel, but I don't want to open that can of worms. 

Our geography based tournament means that regional is the level where the corners of the state really start to get the short end of the stick.  Just looking here locally- Mater Dei and Triton Central are about 3 hours minimum by car. The other 2A regional in the south (Western Boone and Heritage Christian) is only about 45 minutes.  In 4A Mooresville takes on Evansville Central (2.5 hours) while Roncalli plays MtV Fortville (40 min).  The logistics of being the road team is completely different for Sectional 39/40 winners and Sectional 23/24 as opposed to the central Indiana ones. 

PS - I don't know what @Lysander is talking about.  Regional and Semi State games in Evansville on Friday night is always a fun time. 🙂 

If there is ever such a thing as sure fire DOOM....it is taking an Indy HS football team to Evansville on a Fall Friday night.  It’s bad enough when they visit Indy on a Saturday evening, btw.

Listening to the “Ballad of the Edmund Fitzgerald” is uplifting in comparison.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lysander said:

If there is ever such a thing as sure fire DOOM....it is taking an Indy HS football team to Evansville on a Fall Friday night.  It’s bad enough when they visit Indy on a Saturday evening, btw.

Listening to the “Ballad of the Edmund Fitzgerald” is uplifting in comparison.

Football guys must be spoiled. Wrestlers make that trip for a 7:30 am Saturday meet.

• Like 1