Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A Southern Regional: Triton Central @ Mater Dei

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Our geography based tournament means that regional is the level where the corners of the state really start to get the short end of the stick.  Just looking here locally- Mater Dei and Triton Central are about 3 hours minimum by car. The other 2A regional in the south (Western Boone and Heritage Christian) is only about 45 minutes.  In 4A Mooresville takes on Evansville Central (2.5 hours) while Roncalli plays MtV Fortville (40 min).  The logistics of being the road team is completely different for Sectional 39/40 winners and Sectional 23/24 as opposed to the central Indiana ones. 

This is why I support the idea of hosting Regionals & Semi-State games at a neutral fields.  Ideally, neutral fields that are similar distances from schools involved but I understand that could be problematic.  Those who chime in with “but we earned the right to host a Home game” are delusional IMO.  BOTH teams made it to the game by winning their Sectional, Regional, etc.  so both have equally earned the right to host.  The only reason one team is made the Home/Host team are the IHSAA rules that alternate every Host teams btwn the higher/lower sectionals/Regional every other year.  How is that “earning” the right to host?  

Below are this year's rules for "Determining Home Team" for Regionals straight from IHSAA site.  Next year, they will be simply reversed with Host team for even # divisions (2A, 4A & 6A) being the "lower" sectional instead of "higher".  Not exactly "earning" it for any of the teams involved IMHO.

Determining Home Team
Classes 2A, 4A, 6A
Sectional final game non-host, if applicable, or higher sectional # (i.e., Sect. 2 is higher than Sect. 1).
Classes A, 3A & 5A
Sectional final game non-host, if applicable, or lower sectional # (i.e., Sect. 1 is lower than Sect. 2).

On 11/10/2020 at 8:44 AM, Cappy said:

In 2007 Mater Dei played North Posey at Gibson Southern it was a MD home game, in 2011 they again chose to play a home game away at Central against North Posey, MD has a history of having home games on other fields. Why couldn't they have moved in 2010? In 2012 they refused to play NP at Central in the sectionals, but because they agreed to the year before the game was played at Central again. I believe the IHSAA was involved in 2012 but I'm just going from memory and I wasn't on the phone with the AD's at the time of the decision. 

So in 2012, MD "refused" to play at Central, but the game was played at Central? Doesn't sound like much of a refusal at all. 

1 hour ago, Spitting Llamas said:

So in 2012, MD "refused" to play at Central, but the game was played at Central? Doesn't sound like much of a refusal at all. 

1 hour ago, Spitting Llamas said:

I believe the IHSAA was involved in 2012

6 minutes ago, Cappy said:

Back on topic here, what does TC do well? How many starters back from last year? 

They got a nice FR running back who used to play baseball with my son.  Played all his JR High ball in the Franklin Central (6A) school system where he was the star.   Seems to have been getting a lot of carries, but then TC stopped updating stats on MaxPreps.

On 11/10/2020 at 11:03 AM, gonzoron said:

Football guys must be spoiled. Wrestlers make that trip for a 7:30 am Saturday meet.

I've been to several swim meets where the swimmer had to be there at 6:30a. And it was for 2 or 3 days. Sometimes you drive back and forth. Sometimes you get a hotel and spend the weekend. Those were some of my favorite memories as my kids were growing up.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:49 AM, Robert said:

There are a myriad of ways to make up the lost seat time and money. 

Where I grew up we often had 2-3 hour drives for all our conference games! For basketball they would play the sophomore game at 4p, the JV game at 5:30p and the varsity game at 7:30. The sophomores would get out of school at noon, eat lunch together and then hit the road. JV and varsity road together in a charter bus (players, coaches, managers, and cheerleaders) and would usually leave around 2:00 arriving around halftime of the sophomore game. I missed a lot of classes in those years, but we always made up the work. Great memories too from those road trips.

That wasn’t the prettiest game to watch but that’s what happens when you have a defensive battle like that. I was very impressed with #20 for TC. That kid torched us a few times in the first half and I thought it was going to be a long night. Seemed like in the second half they stopped going to him, but maybe our coverage improved. Regardless, congrats to MD for moving on. TC was a very solid team.

This game was a real battle of the defenses.  Both D's were stout but MD made just enough plays - & FGs -  to come out on top.  MD moves on to face a very strong WeBo team next week in what will be another tough match up. 

Before we move on however, I want to congratulate TC for a great season.  The sportsmanship TC displayed after the game was refreshing.  After the last snap, several TC players mingled with MD players, congratulating them, shaking hands and even embracing each other.  When the Regional trophy was presented, several TC players could be be seen standing nearby clapping.  Very classy by TC.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

This game was a real battle of the defenses.  Both D's were stout but MD made just enough plays - & FGs -  to come out on top.  MD moves on to face a very strong WeBo team next week in what will be another tough match up. 

Before we move on however, I want to congratulate TC for a great season.  The sportsmanship TC displayed after the game was refreshing.  After the last snap, several TC players mingled with MD players, congratulating them, shaking hands and even embracing each other.  When the Regional trophy was presented, several TC players could be be seen standing nearby clapping.  Very classy by TC.  

Couldn't agree more about their players. You could tell they left it all on the field and displayed grace and sportsmanship at the end. They seemed to be really well coached. I really thought they would wither more after some of the punishment their QB and backs were taking. Towards the end of the 1st half you could see them getting up a little slower, but they kept getting up and kept coming all the way to the end. One of their OLBs (I think #54) was constantly having to cover the slot or shorter routes on pass plays. He had to be gassed. He was a big, physical kid, but he actually did a decent job in coverage and never quit. #20 was a player.

Some of their cheering section were a little salty after the game, and there were some questionable calls that went against/for both teams. It happens in every game.

It was a good, old-fashioned, hard hitting game. Congrats to Triton Central on a great season.