Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bears Next Head Coach

Guest DT

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

The “next boy wonder” from college is the last thing the Bears need. How about somebody with something of a track record in the pros?

Boy wonder? That's funny. Some people can actually think analytically and evaluate things on a merit base. But keep plugging for those same retread coaches. Glad the SF 49ers didn't take that approach in the early 2010s when they hired some college coach with no track record of coaching in the pros.  

2 minutes ago, cbc34 said:

Boy wonder? That's funny. Some people can actually think analytically and evaluate things on a merit base. But keep plugging for those same retread coaches. Glad the SF 49ers didn't take that approach in the early 2010s when they hired some college coach with no track record of coaching in the pros.  

If you look at the numbers, on the whole, coaches making the jump from college directly to NFL head coach have been spectacularly unsuccessful. There are exceptions to every rule. But they have to be exceptional. 😃

On 11/9/2020 at 9:40 PM, TheStatGuy said:

eric bieniemy. 

HARD PASS 

On 11/11/2020 at 9:06 AM, DT said:

I couldnt agree more.  I wish the Bears were more like the Pittsburgh Steelers.  They know exactly who they are and have great conviction in every decision they make.  The Bears finally did something bold with the Mack signing.  That seemed so out of character for the organization.  Nagy has turned out to be exactly who we thought he was.  A relatively unknown, unproven career assistant .  It is what it is.  Do the Bears want to continue to operate like a small market team, or do they want to return to the top tier where they belong?

Steelers have always been my 2nd fav team for that very reason,  LOVED Cowher's no nonsense approach in the 90s and equally the same with Mike Tomlin 

Rooney Family runs CIRCLES around McCasskey's

On 11/11/2020 at 10:16 AM, Muda69 said:

I wish the likes of a Bill Cowher could be coaxed out of the talking-head booth and back onto the sidelines.   But maybe the game has passed him by......................

Has always been on my wish list for 15 years now or so.   

I will be gluttened for my punishment come Monday Night around 7 pm.   However, the game has turned into, sadly, them on TV in the background and myself doing other things.   

• Like 1

Chicago Bears coach Matt Nagy is handing over play-calling duties to offensive coordinator Bill Lazor: ‘We need to do what’s best for us’

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-chicago-bears-matt-nagy-play-calling-20201113-2s5d7wexizb63anvvmi4wkyyxa-story.html

his couldn’t have been easy for Matt Nagy.

By his own admission, Nagy absolutely loves calling plays and enjoys sitting in the captain’s chair of the cockpit. As an admitted Type A personality, he also acknowledges his desire to be in control as often as possible. Heck, as we learned during draft weekend in April, a room in Nagy’s basement even has the walls adorned with his play sheets from 2018, his first season as Chicago Bears coach and the one that produced a 12-4 run to the NFC North crown.

So, no, handing over play-calling duties never was going to be Nagy’s first impulse. But he now has made that move, officially announcing his decision Friday afternoon after practice at Halas Hall. The Bears will go into Monday night’s game against the Minnesota Vikings with offensive coordinator Bill Lazor calling the plays and with hopes that a bottom-tier offense finally can find its footing. And a more consistent rhythm. And an identity.

About time!

Im starting to lean towards Brian Kelly.  Never thought I would consider him.  But his record speaks for itself and he has ND back at the top echelon of the college football world.  I think Kelly would be like a Belichik in the NFL.  Uber strong central leader with very good , experienced coordinators to help him rebuild.  Perfect Irish-Catholic guy for Chicago.  

14 hours ago, DT said:

Im starting to lean towards Brian Kelly.  Never thought I would consider him.  But his record speaks for itself and he has ND back at the top echelon of the college football world.  I think Kelly would be like a Belichik in the NFL.  Uber strong central leader with very good , experienced coordinators to help him rebuild.  Perfect Irish-Catholic guy for Chicago.  

6 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I can get behind that very much so 

And 4 years ago I wouldn’t have said it, but I want Kelly to stay at ND.

What if.....and hear me out.....(this could go for whichever team drafts Lawrence or Fields).....hires their college head coach (either Dabo or Day) as their new NFL head coach?

Taking the Kliff Kingsbury "model" to an entirely different level.  

***Arizona picked Rosen and had Steve Wilks as their HC.  They get the #1 pick.  Murray is their guy.  Kingsbury got fired from TT and hired as what, the USC OC.  Arizona pays the buy out to USC, hires KK and drafts KM.  Seems to be a great partnership.

8 minutes ago, DE said:

What if.....and hear me out.....(this could go for whichever team drafts Lawrence or Fields).....hires their college head coach (either Dabo or Day) as their new NFL head coach?

Taking the Kliff Kingsbury "model" to an entirely different level.  

***Arizona picked Rosen and had Steve Wilks as their HC.  They get the #1 pick.  Murray is their guy.  Kingsbury got fired from TT and hired as what, the USC OC.  Arizona pays the buy out to USC, hires KK and drafts KM.  Seems to be a great partnership.

Someone gets it coaching is irrelevant in nfl funny how the best coaches have the best talent. Bears problem is front office and talent acquisition. Lawrence, fields, Nd state, or BYU qb would make bears instant playoff team along with a healthy o line.

21 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Someone gets it coaching is irrelevant in nfl funny how the best coaches have the best talent. Bears problem is front office and talent acquisition. Lawrence, fields, Nd state, or BYU qb would make bears instant playoff team along with a healthy o line.

Guys like Kingsbury, Gase, Nagy, Leach . Lincoln Riley, etc are incomplete coaches because of their blatant neglect of defensive football.  They all have a history of farming out responsibility to someone else while they run the offensive show.  That style creates division on football teams and frontloads most of the talent and the payroll to the offensive side of the football.

Guys like Saban, Belichik, Brian Kelly, Sweeney, Kirby Smart, dont show any favoritism to the offense of the defense.  All are treated, or mistreated, equally.  Thats the way it should be.

28 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Like them all, but not sold on NDSU or BYU QB as instant top tier guys that will lead them into playoffs.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Guys like Kingsbury, Gase, Nagy, Leach . Lincoln Riley, etc are incomplete coaches because of their blatant neglect of defensive football.  They all have a history of farming out responsibility to someone else while they run the offensive show.  That style creates division on football teams and frontloads most of the talent and the payroll to the offensive side of the football.

Guys like Saban, Belichik, Brian Kelly, Sweeney, Kirby Smart, dont show any favoritism to the offense of the defense.  All are treated, or mistreated, equally.  Thats the way it should be.

Except the bears best players are Mack E jack Fuller and hicks or roquan. Allen Robinson might be the next best player. I see what your saying but with the cap and high qb salary you are going to have imbalance.

4 minutes ago, DT said:

?

Saban-DC----heavy presence on D

Belichik-DC----heavy presence on D

Kelly-OC----called plays up until he nearly stroked

Sweeney-OC----still keeps the menu on O

Smart-DC----still calls the D.

But by all means, keep going...

I knew Hicks was big.  I didn't know he was THAT big.

6'5 350+  and can MOVE!

Just now, Whiting89 said:

Except the bears best players are Mack E jack Fuller and hicks or roquan. Allen Robinson might be the next best player. I see what your saying but with the cap and high qb salary you are going to have imbalance.

Nagy has nothing to do with any of those players being on the Bears roster.  He is fortunate and lucky that they are there.  He has failed to hold up his end of the bargain, which was to build an NFL caliber offense.  His refusal to run the ball has made things worse.  Pace gave him a first round QB,  some great receivers and an average to slightly above average OL>  With all thoise assets the Bears should be doing better.  But they are not.  

2 minutes ago, DE said:

?

Saban-DC----heavy presence on D

Belichik-DC----heavy presence on D

Kelly-OC----called plays up until he nearly stroked

Sweeney-OC----still keeps the menu on O

Smart-DC----still calls the D.

But by all means, keep going...

I knew Hicks was big.  I didn't know he was THAT big.

6'5 350+  and can MOVE!

Alabama has the most dynamic offensive team in college football.  

Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all time.

Sweeney has developed more top flight NFL defensive linemen than any school in the country over the past 5 years, including Alabama

Smart appears to be very well balanced in his approach.  

1 minute ago, DT said:

Alabama has the most dynamic offensive team in college football.  

Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all time.

Sweeney has developed more top flight NFL defensive linemen than any school in the country over the past 5 years, including Alabama

Smart appears to be very well balanced in his approach.  

They do?

No argument.  How is Bill doing this year?

He has?  What is Venables salary?

What?

34 minutes ago, DT said:

Nagy has nothing to do with any of those players being on the Bears roster.  He is fortunate and lucky that they are there.  He has failed to hold up his end of the bargain, which was to build an NFL caliber offense.  His refusal to run the ball has made things worse.  Pace gave him a first round QB,  some great receivers and an average to slightly above average OL>  With all thoise assets the Bears should be doing better.  But they are not.  

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

29 minutes ago, DE said:

They do?

No argument.  How is Bill doing this year?

He has?  What is Venables salary?

What?

Patriots are far better off than what there record indicates:  

Pats lost on the 1 yard lint to Seattle in Seattle, Lost on the 15 yard line in KC with Hoyer at QB because he forgot what down it was, Lost at Buffalo on Cam Newton Fumble at 10 yard line.  Could of won all 3 games and Be looking very good right now.  

I would say BIll is doing just fine. 

7 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Patriots are far better off than what there record indicates:  

Pats lost on the 1 yard lint to Seattle in Seattle, Lost on the 15 yard line in KC with Hoyer at QB because he forgot what down it was, Lost at Buffalo on Cam Newton Fumble at 10 yard line.  Could of won all 3 games and Be looking very good right now.  

I would say BIll is doing just fine. 

Still 3 losses any way you cut it.  No moral victories in the NFL.

52 minutes ago, DT said:

Ditka and Ryan seemed to work out ok for the '85 Bears.........................

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DE said:

Still 3 losses any way you cut it.  No moral victories in the NFL.

and at this rate, Bears needed a Rookie Running back to drop a wide open pass week 1 to secure their win,  needed ATL to vomit all over themselves up 3 scors in the 4th and somehow beat Tom Brady and Bucs on a game winning FG, needed a Saquan Barkley ACL tear in 1st moments of their game and a defensive dominant game vs Carolina where they sacked Teddy 4 times, forced 3 turnovers... oh, didn't have to defend Christian McCafferty 

Bears are closer to 1 to 0 wins this year than the 5 they sucked out. 

7 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

and at this rate, Bears needed a Rookie Running back to drop a wide open pass week 1 to secure their win,  needed ATL to vomit all over themselves up 3 scors in the 4th and somehow beat Tom Brady and Bucs on a game winning FG, needed a Saquan Barkley ACL tear in 1st moments of their game and a defensive dominant game vs Carolina where they sacked Teddy 4 times, forced 3 turnovers... oh, didn't have to defend Christian McCafferty 

Bears are closer to 1 to 0 wins this year than the 5 they sucked out. 

LOL.