Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

State Finals

Nothing on IHSAA website other than what has been there for recent seasons....

Somewhat off topic, but remember that IHSAA is going away from the 1A/3A/5A day and a 2A/4A/6A day.  This year they are setting the finals to be more "geographically friendly"...

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/07/02/ihsaa-changes-football-state-finals-schedule-voting-eight-man-football-proposal/5368098002/

FTA

"This year, as voted by the IHSAA executive committee, the state finals matchups, dates and times will not necessarily be played in its usual format. If matchups allow, schools from a similar geographical area may be grouped into consecutive games or at least on the same day. The schedule will now be announced following the semistate games."

Edited by US31

Seating capacity will have more to do with availability than anything else. Currently the Colts can have 12,500. I don’t know if that is a number for Colts games or a number for any event in LOS. 
That number is not going up anytime soon and could possibly go down.

LOS and the IHSAA are going to have to get creative in order to maximize availability seating for each game.

I imagine not many people from the public will be able to see these games in person this year. If I had to bet, I would say only relatives of players and coaches allowed. It will be extremely spaced out. Also, IHSAA commissioner stated the days will be longer to allow for fan entrance and exit. The following game fans will not be allowed to enter until previous fans are exited and place is sanitized. I don't know what this will do for game times and team entrances and exits either. Very tricky situation and I pray Lucas Oil still hosts these 6 games on Thanksgiving weekend. It would be a shame for everyone who is involved if they do not get to use that facility for a State Finals. Always a special weekend of mine and it is in a lot of jeopardy at the moment. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, US31 said:

Nothing on IHSAA website other than what has been there for recent seasons....

Somewhat off topic, but remember that IHSAA is going away from the 1A/3A/5A day and a 2A/4A/6A day.  This year they are setting the finals to be more "geographically friendly"...

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/07/02/ihsaa-changes-football-state-finals-schedule-voting-eight-man-football-proposal/5368098002/

FTA

"This year, as voted by the IHSAA executive committee, the state finals matchups, dates and times will not necessarily be played in its usual format. If matchups allow, schools from a similar geographical area may be grouped into consecutive games or at least on the same day. The schedule will now be announced following the semistate games."

This could have worked..this year is the worst for it if capacity is limited..

My guess is that they will allow 12,500 fans to each game and clear out the stadium in between every game.  Every ticket will be a single game ticket.  They could potentially make more $$ with this method than they have the normal way.  Don’t forget, the IHSAA is only plugging forward to make sure they make their $$ off of the state finals!

8 hours ago, wrcsage said:

My guess is that they will allow 12,500 fans to each game and clear out the stadium in between every game.  Every ticket will be a single game ticket.  They could potentially make more $$ with this method than they have the normal way.  Don’t forget, the IHSAA is only plugging forward to make sure they make their $$ off of the state finals!

Financial considerations are definitely a factor, especially since there was no revenue from the boy’s basketball tournament. But to say that’s the only reason they went forward with the season is a gross overstatement, and does a disservice to the people at the IHSAA, who are working hard to give the kids some aspect of normalcy in these goofy times.

• Like 4

The fact that IHSAA website still has the "normal" state finals info on its website tells me that all of this is currently under consideration....

Apart from questionable weather, would hosting the games at "neutral" metro schools be "easier" from a social distancing/sanitation perspective?  I'm bored and just thinking out loud.  I also have almost zero experience in game administration.  But its an open forum....so🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, US31 said:

The fact that IHSAA website still has the "normal" state finals info on its website tells me that all of this is currently under consideration....

Apart from questionable weather, would hosting the games at "neutral" metro schools be "easier" from a social distancing/sanitation perspective?  I'm bored and just thinking out loud.  I also have almost zero experience in game administration.  But its an open forum....so🤷‍♂️

It would be way easier to social distant at LOS. Say they only allow 1000 fans per team, that’s probably more than say a Carmel would allow, and be able to keep more distance. 

• Like 1

What about a waiver granting play on Sunday as well?  Playing 3 games in 1 day and trying to either get fans out, sanitize locker rooms/seats, and then the next game starting 3 hours later would be extremely difficult.  Wouldn't it make sense to do 2 games a day for 3 days?

EDIT:  The Colts have a home game on Sunday... So scratch all of the above.

Edited by 1st_and_10

Yeah, it would be a lot more doable if the Colts didn't have a home game Sunday.

It's already super tight playing at noon, ~3:30, and ~7. It seems like with the medal and trophy presentations, the last game of the day doesn't start until 8 or so.

It's a huge cluster getting fans in and out as it is - I can't imagine how long it would take to clear the place and sanitize.

4 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

What about a waiver granting play on Sunday as well?  Playing 3 games in 1 day and trying to either get fans out, sanitize locker rooms/seats, and then the next game starting 3 hours later would be extremely difficult.  Wouldn't it make sense to do 2 games a day for 3 days?

EDIT:  The Colts have a home game on Sunday... So scratch all of the above.

I like the extra day.  Play on Thanksgiving instead.  I know people will not like it but it is for a state title.  Pick the 2 match-ups that are closest to Indy and play on Thursday.

This morning, Marion County has once again announced tighter restrictions starting this Sunday. So it looks like LOS could have up to 16,750 per game IF they have the below mentioned approved safety plan. Below is one of those restrictions:

• Special or seasonal events, like concerts, festivals, wedding receptions and sporting events, are limited to 25% capacity. Those events may include more than 50 people only if the event has an approved safety plan.

1 hour ago, WestfieldRocks said:

This morning, Marion County has once again announced tighter restrictions starting this Sunday. So it looks like LOS could have up to 16,750 per game IF they have the below mentioned approved safety plan. Below is one of those restrictions:

• Special or seasonal events, like concerts, festivals, wedding receptions and sporting events, are limited to 25% capacity. Those events may include more than 50 people only if the event has an approved safety plan.

One thing i wonder is if the number if based on full capacity of LOS or the planned levels they were going to use. In order to get to 16k you would have to use the upper level. Does the IHSAA want to pay for extra staff to cover ushers and concessions and cleaning crew for the upper level to get to 16k? I'm thinking not. It will probably be 25% of whatever is allows in the 100 and 200 levels which is probably still a pretty big number that would allow more than just parents.

21 minutes ago, JustRules said:

One thing i wonder is if the number if based on full capacity of LOS or the planned levels they were going to use. In order to get to 16k you would have to use the upper level. Does the IHSAA want to pay for extra staff to cover ushers and concessions and cleaning crew for the upper level to get to 16k? I'm thinking not. It will probably be 25% of whatever is allows in the 100 and 200 levels which is probably still a pretty big number that would allow more than just parents.

That’s what I’m thinking. I can find individual game attendance stats, but the highest total for the 6 game tournament is 46,000 fans, average of 7700 per game. Take that by 25% and that’s 1900 fans per game. And that’s just attendance, not capacity. But I would think a decent number to imagine now would be 2000 fans, 1000 per team. 

36 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

That’s what I’m thinking. I can find individual game attendance stats, but the highest total for the 6 game tournament is 46,000 fans, average of 7700 per game. Take that by 25% and that’s 1900 fans per game. And that’s just attendance, not capacity. But I would think a decent number to imagine now would be 2000 fans, 1000 per team. 

Many people stay for more than 1 game so you would have more than 7700 per game. I think the estimates usually for the biggest crowds was in the 10k range. And there are plenty of empty seats at that especially in the end zone. That's why I'm thinking full capacity of the lower levels might be around 20-25k. That would put 25% at the 5-6k range in the lower 2 levels.

38 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Many people stay for more than 1 game so you would have more than 7700 per game. I think the estimates usually for the biggest crowds was in the 10k range. And there are plenty of empty seats at that especially in the end zone. That's why I'm thinking full capacity of the lower levels might be around 20-25k. That would put 25% at the 5-6k range in the lower 2 levels.

I like your calculations better. Even bring conservative with that number could be 4000 total. And they are working on making something happen, so I’m optimistic. 

32 minutes ago, JustRules said:

I pointed this out in another thread, but we probably have some general starting point ideas for where things might go based on where they have already been for the Colts ... that is the been-there-done-that configurations that have already been used by the Colts for a couple home games might also reduce the issues surrounding having to "convince" powers that be that it can be done and how it would be done.  At the lower level, based on early-season play, the Colts seated around 7,500 and slightly looser at 12,500 .. although I don't recall the "DEFCON" numbers that we were at at those times.

If the idea is that folks would be cleared out after each game for cleaning (and possibly have to pay for a second/third entrance in the same day), I'd conjecture that some of the "stick around" crowd would decrease.

5 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I pointed this out in another thread, but we probably have some general starting point ideas for where things might go based on where they have already been for the Colts ... that is the been-there-done-that configurations that have already been used by the Colts for a couple home games might also reduce the issues surrounding having to "convince" powers that be that it can be done and how it would be done.  At the lower level, based on early-season play, the Colts seated around 7,500 and slightly looser at 12,500 .. although I don't recall the "DEFCON" numbers that we were at at those times.

If the idea is that folks would be cleared out after each game for cleaning (and possibly have to pay for a second/third entrance in the same day), I'd conjecture that some of the "stick around" crowd would decrease.

I haven't been to a Colts game yet, but did they have fans sitting in the 400-600 levels?

2 minutes ago, JustRules said:

I haven't been to a Colts game yet, but did they have fans sitting in the 400-600 levels?

Not sure, but those were the county/health department numbers that were allowed for capacity at those respective games.  I'm not sure of specifically how they implemented them.

per IHSAA Executive Meeting Minutes https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about ihsaa/minutes/2020-21/110620.pdf

6) UPDATED PLANS FOR FALL STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS – VOLLEYBALL, FOOTBALL Assistant Commissioner Kerrie Schludecker updated the Executive Committee on conversations she’s had with Worthen Arena representatives and safety precautions and protocols that have been put in place for tomorrow’s IHSAA Volleyball State Finals in Muncie. Looking ahead to the IHSAA Football State Finals in three weeks, Assistant Commissioner Robert Faulkens reported that Lucas Oil Stadium is currently operating at 25% capacity. All individuals will have their temperature taken before being allowed into the facility for practice as well as on game day. Due to social distancing, there will be different points of entrance and exit for opposing fans and seats will be spread out in the different levels of seating available. Logistics of the event will be very different from previous years. He has been working with the Marion County Health Department on what will be allowed. When details are finalized, he will pass those along to the Executive Committee as well as the state finalist teams once they are known.