Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Chatard v. Concordia - Regional Championship

Any thoughts?  

If Chatard wins, they are officially in 4A again.  Also, if they win, it’s likely another road trip to Marian.

With that, if there are any folks from Concordia (or just fans from Ft. Wayne headed to Indy) I am certain those of us from Indy would be happy to recommend eating places just as several Ft. Wayne posters were kind enough to do for Chatard/Indy travelers last year.

Concordia is a solid team with a pretty good defense. I think they'll be competitive, but I like Chatard by 14 in this one. 

I think if I were to drive to Indy on Friday, I'd be curious to see how Homestead matches up with Westfield. Four good FW/Indy games to choose from.

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

Concordia is a solid team with a pretty good defense. I think they'll be competitive, but I like Chatard by 14 in this one. 

I think if I were to drive to Indy on Friday, I'd be curious to see how Homestead matches up with Westfield. Four good FW/Indy games to choose from.

Lots of good eats in the Carmel/Westfield area but I will defer to others who live in the area to recommend the best.  

Honestly, it might well be worth the trip just to see Westfield’s new stadium.  Chatard scrimmaged Westfield there a year or so back.....brand new and beautiful facilities.  

As nice as it gets in Central Indiana - which probably means Carmel (Carmel being Carmel) is going to build a domed stadium before too long.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Concordia is playing really good football right now. Their defense was good enough to slow down the offensive juggernauts in the SAC, but Chatard is a different animal. Having watched them beat Merrillville, Concordia will need to play a perfect game and then some. Can't afford to make mistakes on either side of the ball because Chatard will make them pay for it.

I like the Trojans by 3 tds.

Dunno, but I think my better half reached out to Mike Ford as to tickets....so contact the Chatard AD.  

As always, I will do as she directs me....since its long allowed me to live in comfort and eating “Bonbons” (obscure...but 85 year old grandmothers will “get it”).  

Trying to stay family friendly as to my proclivities.  “Eating Bonbons” seems to qualify vs. “dousing myself in cheap bourbon”.

So far, I’m not seeing anything on IHSAATV.ORG as regards a webcast of the game.  My guess is that Chatard’s Facebook page likely needs IHSAA clearance to webcast the game.

13 hours ago, Lysander said:

Lots of good eats in the Carmel/Westfield area but I will defer to others who live in the area to recommend the best.  

Honestly, it might well be worth the trip just to see Westfield’s new stadium.  Chatard scrimmaged Westfield there a year or so back.....brand new and beautiful facilities.  

As nice as it gets in Central Indiana - which probably means Carmel (Carmel being Carmel) is going to build a domed stadium before too long.

Hmmm, do they have scrimmages with freshman and JV teams, because Westfield's varsity has been scrimmaging against Ben Davis for quiet a few years now. Carmel's stadium is starting to show it's age. I can't recall, but I think it was built back in the early 1990's. I know my son ran track and XC for Westfield, and ran in that facility.  He graduated in 2000.

6 minutes ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Hmmm, do they have scrimmages with freshman and JV teams, because Westfield's varsity has been scrimmaging against Ben Davis for quiet a few years now. Carmel's stadium is starting to show it's age. I can't recall, but I think it was built back in the early 1990's. I know my son ran track and XC for Westfield, and ran in that facility.  He graduated in 2000.

All 3 Chatard teams (Freshmen, JV and Varsity) scrimmaged their Westfield counterparts either in 2019 or 2018.  Since I am old and failing, I get those years mixed up.  Incredible facilities nonetheless.

18 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Dunno, but I think my better half reached out to Mike Ford as to tickets....so contact the Chatard AD.  

As always, I will do as she directs me....since its long allowed me to live in comfort and eating “Bonbons” (obscure...but 85 year old grandmothers will “get it”).  

Trying to stay family friendly as to my proclivities.  “Eating Bonbons” seems to qualify vs. “dousing myself in cheap bourbon”.

So far, I’m not seeing anything on IHSAATV.ORG as regards a webcast of the game.  My guess is that Chatard’s Facebook page likely needs IHSAA clearance to webcast the game.

Hamilton County Television is streaming the Homestead at Westfield game. They will also be streaming several other games around Central Indiana. Perhaps the Chatard game will be one of these games. There should be a menu to select from for those games, The Westfield game they will be broadcasting themselves. These games are free, no paywall. HCTV decided prior to this season to keep them free and not charge like others have been doing. I believe though that next week's semi-state games are pay per view through the IHSAA network, with the finals on Fox Sports Indiana.

http://www.hamiltoncountytelevision.com/default.php

This should be the best matchup for Chatard so far in the playoffs. Concordia played a loaded schedule with lots of 5 and 6A talent. Both offenses and defenses should matchup well. Concordia has some height and speed at receiver that chatard hasn’t seen yet in the playoffs. Still think that the chatard defense is an elite unit and should keep the cadets pretty shut down. Concordia defense appeared to put up good fights against Fort Wayne powerhouses, but Chatards offense has definitely developed and is continuing to get better weekly. Should be a good matchup but I expect chatard to win by at least 3 touchdowns and take a road trip to Mishawaka Marian in a week for another semi-state bout. 

30 minutes ago, Hoosier1102 said:

This should be the best matchup for Chatard so far in the playoffs. Concordia played a loaded schedule with lots of 5 and 6A talent. Both offenses and defenses should matchup well. Concordia has some height and speed at receiver that chatard hasn’t seen yet in the playoffs. Still think that the chatard defense is an elite unit and should keep the cadets pretty shut down. Concordia defense appeared to put up good fights against Fort Wayne powerhouses, but Chatards offense has definitely developed and is continuing to get better weekly. Should be a good matchup but I expect chatard to win by at least 3 touchdowns and take a road trip to Mishawaka Marian in a week for another semi-state bout. 

The SAC is a heckuva conference but it’s a mystery to an extent as to how good it is at the top until several weeks into playoffs.  

With that, both Concordia and Luers surviving amongst the sharks in the SAC always means they are solid and battle proven.....regardless of record.  

That August 28 Homestead/Concordia score of 7-0 tells me most everything I need to know and fear (as a dumb fan, admittedly) about just how well Concordia can play.  

Homestead is only 2 games away from playing in the 6A State Championship....yet Concordia took them to the wire.

1 hour ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Hmmm, do they have scrimmages with freshman and JV teams, because Westfield's varsity has been scrimmaging against Ben Davis for quiet a few years now.

Its one of the scrimmages that teams are allowed during the summer, not the scrimmage right before the first game.

26 minutes ago, Lysander said:

That August 28 Homestead/Concordia score of 7-0 tells me most everything I need to know and fear (as a dumb fan, admittedly) about just how well Concordia can play.  

That popped out on their schedule for me as well - Concordia was competitive in almost every game in the SAC, which means they are a very good 3A school.  We are not too far removed from the Concordia juggernaut that blew everyone out on their way to a state championship a few years ago.  If I remember correctly from last year's game, Concordia's starting lineup was mostly underclassmen, so they should have a bunch of experience as well.  Expecting a great game.

6 minutes ago, TheDoctor22 said:

That popped out on their schedule for me as well - Concordia was competitive in almost every game in the SAC, which means they are a very good 3A school.  We are not too far removed from the Concordia juggernaut that blew everyone out on their way to a state championship a few years ago.  If I remember correctly from last year's game, Concordia's starting lineup was mostly underclassmen, so they should have a bunch of experience as well.  Expecting a great game.

My recollection as well was that Concordia was almost all underclassmen last year.  “Mudder” game last year.

And, yes, that 2016 Concordia team truly was a beast.  Nobody was going to get close to them in 3A that year.  Honestly felt bad that Lawrenceburg from my old HS conference drew the short straw against them that year.  

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Homestead is only 2 games away from playing in the 6A State Championship....yet Concordia took them to the wire.

Concordia was also without their starting QB for week 2 and 3. If he had played during the Homestead game in week 2 I think the Cadets could have definitely won. If they were to play again though I wouldn't expect it to be as close as week 2.

3 hours ago, Lysander said:

The SAC is a heckuva conference but it’s a mystery to an extent as to how good it is at the top until several weeks into playoffs.  

With that, both Concordia and Luers surviving amongst the sharks in the SAC always means they are solid and battle proven.....regardless of record.  

One reason the top of the SAC has trouble later in the tourney is their biggest school is 20th in the state in enrollment.

18 hours ago, Lysander said:

With that, if there are any folks from Concordia (or just fans from Ft. Wayne headed to Indy) I am certain those of us from Indy would be happy to recommend eating places just as several Ft. Wayne posters were kind enough to do for Chatard/Indy travelers last year.

Had a good time talking to some of the Chatard fans at the ACME Bar and Grill last year. I will be coming down for the game, but will be going to my daughter's home (she lives close to Butler) to visit so I probably won't be needing the food recommendations.

As you mentioned, Concordia had a large number of Juniors last year so expectations were pretty high for this year. Unfortunately we fell victim to the contact tracing quarantine situation and were without a fair number of starters for about 5 of the regular season games. Losing the Homestead game without our QB and 4 other starters really was disappointing and set the stage for the poor performance against Snider the next week with the same starters out for that game. It wasn't until the Oak Hill game that we started to gel back together after playing with constantly changing lineups. If we play like we did against Norwell I think we can be competitive, but who knows what is happening with Covid, by Friday we could be missing more players again.

Really looking forward to Friday no matter what the outcome, this is the first time in Concordia Lutheran High School history that we have won back to back sectional football titles.

3 minutes ago, jakone said:

One reason the top of the SAC has trouble later in the tourney is their biggest school is 20th in the state in enrollment.

Honestly, when the IHSAA set up the “new” 5A, the only legit team was Snider....and they bumped up and down between 5A and 6A.

4 minutes ago, clhs2man said:

Had a good time talking to some of the Chatard fans at the ACME Bar and Grill last year. I will be coming down for the game, but will be going to my daughter's home (she lives close to Butler) to visit so I probably won't be needing the food recommendations.

As you mentioned, Concordia had a large number of Juniors last year so expectations were pretty high for this year. Unfortunately we fell victim to the contact tracing quarantine situation and were without a fair number of starters for about 5 of the regular season games. Losing the Homestead game without our QB and 4 other starters really was disappointing and set the stage for the poor performance against Snider the next week with the same starters out for that game. It wasn't until the Oak Hill game that we started to gel back together after playing with constantly changing lineups. If we play like we did against Norwell I think we can be competitive, but who knows what is happening with Covid, by Friday we could be missing more players again.

Really looking forward to Friday no matter what the outcome, this is the first time in Concordia Lutheran High School history that we have won back to back sectional football titles.

Heck...I was at the ACME last year.  I had the chili and a tenderloin.  Enjoy your time visiting your daughter near Butler (my Alma Mater).  

4 hours ago, Lysander said:

Honestly, when the IHSAA set up the “new” 5A, the only legit team was Snider....and they bumped up and down between 5A and 6A.

Back down to 5A next season just in time for an uptick in talent. Doesn't make much sense, but nonetheless, they'll be a legitimate contender next year. 

7 hours ago, Prospect said:

Concordia was also without their starting QB for week 2 and 3. If he had played during the Homestead game in week 2 I think the Cadets could have definitely won. If they were to play again though I wouldn't expect it to be as close as week 2.

To be fair, Homestead wasn't exactly healthy themselves until week 3 or so if my memory serves me correctly. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Back down to 5A next season just in time for an uptick in talent. Doesn't make much sense, but nonetheless, they'll be a legitimate contender next year. 

To be fair, Homestead wasn't exactly healthy themselves until week 3 or so if my memory serves me correctly. 

Dwenger makes another semi state run in 5a they might be "ok" as a 5a program..taking nothing away from them n I think they're a threat in the north...as far as this game goes.. the cadets returned talent..the trojans are reloaded..should be a good one

11 hours ago, BTF said:

Totally agree. They were also still settling in a new QB after losing the one they spent all last year developing. If the two played again with everyone healthy I don't think it would be much of a game.

22 hours ago, TheDoctor22 said:

If I remember correctly from last year's game, Concordia's starting lineup was mostly underclassmen, so they should have a bunch of experience as well.  Expecting a great game.

Yup. Lot of underclassmen that now have game experience and experience against Chatard. I think this will be a different game than it was last year, although I have no doubt the Trojans will advance, just think it will be more competitive. 

1 minute ago, Bonecrusher said:

Scared to make a prediction, could be that close IMHO.  I'll be a "homer" and pick the Cadets by 7 points or less.

I think the strength of regular season ,competition difference ,will shine through.  Game won’t be in doubt.  Even if the cadets score first. Which Might happen.  I don’t think it will be a shutout.  But Catholics over the Lutherans.