Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

How cold is too cold?

10 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

There’s no guarantee that the next afternoon would be any better.

I would invite you to go into YouTube history and watch the ice bowl NFL championship game of ‘67 I believe. Daytime, below zero actual temp.

I also remember a playoff game in Cincinnati about 15 years ago with similar temps.... also a day game.

It’s football.

Its a game.

When a baseball game is called due to cold, there's no guarantee it wont rain the next day. You still postpone. 

Most days are warmer than the preceding night. agreed? You postpone until its warmer.   Its kids. 

If zero is not too cold for children to play football outside.? Okay. What is?  That's my question.

(By the way, I watched Ice Bowl live on CBS.   I am that old..

I thought Bart Starr quick snapped Dallas on that QB sneak. Cowboys should have won./) 

13 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

Cold is relative to where you’re located.... cold resistance in from Minnesoter  or North Dakoter will be way lower than Florider....

After moving down to South Carolina, I find this very true.  The high school players down here tolerate the heat better than their counterparts in Indiana.  On the reverse, they can not handle cold weather as well.

Wind chill is usually worse than air temperature. . I have watched a game here in Indiana when the wind chill was minus 17.   And that was here in  southern Indiana.  Of course we packed on the clothes to keep warm.  I believe it was the sectional championship at North Davies.  There was a 35 mile per hour wind that night.   It blew right down the field.  It was bitter cold!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Two weeks ago, it was 28 degrees at the end of the sectional semifinals up here in Lake County.

The temps Friday (Nov. 13) will be freezing ....32  soon after kickoff.

How cold does it have to be before we postpone a Friday night game and move it to Saturday afternoon in the daylight...?

Spring sports have (or used to have) recommendations about what the minimum temperature was/is probably because these are children we're sending out to play games. 

Saturdays in November are almost wide open for prep sports.  How cold does it have to be before we push a Friday night game to Saturday. ?  What's the number?

Doesn't exist.  2014 semistate between. Columbus East and New Pal was played in single digits and was one of the best games you'll ever see.  

• Like 3

I think the coldest game I have ever attended was Nov. 21, 2008.  Chatard/Memorial semi-state.

According to the almanac it was 25 at kickoff and 20 degrees at 10pm. 

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/in/evansville/KEVV/date/2008-11-21

I think @Lysander and @tango were there and can confirm the cold. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BendNotBreak said:

I had to look that one up.... Purdue Airport records around 32 33 for Fridays the 14th 21st  1975 w light wind...  the ball is a rock at those Temps for sure.... perhaps Herman also walked 2 miles barefoot thru 3 ft of snow to get to the game?  😊

Uphill both ways!

3 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

Cold is relative to where you’re located.... cold resistance in from Minnesoter  or North Dakoter will be way lower than Florider....

Used to be.  Once the Vikings built the dome, they got soft.  The old "black and blue" division got soft and squishy ... except maybe the Packer's playing on the Tundra.

21 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I think the coldest game I have ever attended was Nov. 21, 2008.  Chatard/Memorial semi-state.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/in/evansville/KEVV/date/2008-11-21

Since then, I’ve been to an 18 degree college lacrosse game in February in Chicago sitting on snow covered bleachers and that felt TOASTY compared to that Chatard/Memorial game in 2008.

Coldest I’ve ever been in my life.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Staxawax said:

There’s no guarantee that the next afternoon would be any better.

I would invite you to go into YouTube history and watch the ice bowl NFL championship game of ‘67 I believe. Daytime, below zero actual temp.

I also remember a playoff game in Cincinnati about 15 years ago with similar temps.... also a day game.

It’s football.

That reply deserves an AMEN!

11 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

But PH, what about 25 degrees?  What about 15 degrees?  What about 5 degrees?

We can never postpone a game from Friday night to Saturday afternoon because of cold? Because its football?

Yep!  If it's too cold for you, just stay home.  Because it's football!

16 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Two weeks ago, it was 28 degrees at the end of the sectional semifinals up here in Lake County.

The temps Friday (Nov. 13) will be freezing ....32  soon after kickoff.

How cold does it have to be before we postpone a Friday night game and move it to Saturday afternoon in the daylight...?

Spring sports have (or used to have) recommendations about what the minimum temperature was/is probably because these are children we're sending out to play games. 

Saturdays in November are almost wide open for prep sports.  How cold does it have to be before we push a Friday night game to Saturday. ?  What's the number?

No.  Such.  Thing.  Football is a man’s fans.

Just now, Gipper said:

No.  Such.  Thing.  Football is a man’s fans.

Make that game.  Play baseball if you’re cold...

1 hour ago, Huge Football Fan said:

10/31/14 was terrible. It was freezing with 40-50 mph winds. Several games in the region were moved to Saturday. At merriville the goal post looked as if they were gonna blow over. Couldn’t throw or kick. It was a miserable night

I remember this night. Andrean was supposed to go to Mishawaka to play Marian. By noon, Coach Mason was calling Marian to get the game rescheduled. Marian was running the triple option at the time, and I think Mason knew the weather was favorable to them. The next day our QB threw about 5 TDs on a perfectly calm afternoon. 

11 minutes ago, Bartrum Trail said:

Staxawax:    As far as the 1975 State Championship between Valpo and Carmel, I attended the game.   Not sure that the weather neutralized Mark Herrmann  as much as the the Single Wing offense by Tom Stokes controlled the clock. 

Somewhat agree with you. But read the article I linked. You may credit Valpo’s defense instead.

4 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Amen.  Yes, that was a cold night.  Fortunately, I was asked to heat footballs with a torpedo heater on the sideline so I was toasty warm.  The coldest I have ever been was the Danville Semi-State game in 2017 when it was an otherwise tolerable temp of low 30s but the sideways rain and sleet made it brutal.  

• Like 1

Coldest for me was Nov. 10, 2006. Regional at New Prairie, hosting Norwell. Temps in the low 50s when we got there. We finished our pregame and got dressed. When we walked out of the school, the temperature had dropped 20 degrees and it started raining. We went back in, changed to our cold/wet weather gear and went back out. The rain was coming down sideways from the start and the temperature kept dropping. The field was a quagmire. By the time we got out there for the 2nd half, the mud ruts in the field had started to freeze. There’s cold, and then there’s wet cold. Norwell had a QB named Chandler Harnish who went on to great things at Northern Illinois. On that field, he just couldn’t be stopped. After the game, I took my white knickers and striped socks and just threw them in the trash. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Coldest for me was Nov. 10, 2006. Regional at New Prairie, hosting Norwell. Temps in the low 50s when we got there. We finished our pregame and got dressed. When we walked out of the school, the temperature had dropped 20 degrees and it started raining. We went back in, changed to our cold/wet weather gear and went back out. The rain was coming down sideways from the start and the temperature kept dropping. The field was a quagmire. By the time we got out there for the 2nd half, the mud ruts in the field had started to freeze. There’s cold, and then there’s wet cold. Norwell had a QB named Chandler Harnish who went on to great things at Northern Illinois. On that field, he just couldn’t be stopped. After the game, I took my white knickers and striped socks and just threw them in the trash. 

How did you get back and forth to school and field in time?  That walk is awful in itself.

Did they at least have a golf cart/gator/dog sled for you 5?

I remember playing at Monrovia first round of sectionals in 95 and it did everything that night. Started with rain then sleet then freezing rain with the wind blowing hard. By the end of the game the kids that weren't playing had icicles hanging on their face mask. What was an hour ride down was 2 and a half hour ride back because of the ice on the road.

Edited by Jbk2
add