Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Meanwhile at the Iowa state high school playoffs

16 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Indiana thinks they have small schools. There aren't any really small schools. Some of those upper midwest states have enrollments of less than 50 for all 4 grades.

• Like 1

I would like to point out that some of our smaller schools do have trouble getting the numbers for traditional football. Why is this so bad? It gives these smaller schools a chance to compete for something if this is also given a state tournament and doesn't allow @DTto use that dirty C word.... Contraction.  

Edited by Obi-Wan
  • Like 2

Some people may enjoy watching this type of football.  Its basically a full game of 7 on 7 drills.  No blocking, not much tackling, no running game, etc.  Its football without all the great stuff that we all love about the game, the physicality part.

6 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

If it gives kids and schools that can't play football an opportunity to do so, who cares how many points they score? I am all for it.

We are in a period of contraction, downsizing and consolidation due to the financial and economioc fallout from the COVID Pandemic.

Now is not the time to be adding 8 man football to already cash strapped athletic departments.

48 minutes ago, DT said:

We are in a period of contraction, downsizing and consolidation due to the financial and economioc fallout from the COVID Pandemic.

Now is not the time to be adding 8 man football to already cash strapped athletic departments.

I agree. The 8-man proposal for Indiana was also fairly recently tabled. So I do not expect such a thing any time soon.

I hope it is revisited once economic situations stabilize. I also don't think it would be a bad thing for some current 11-man teams to potentially play 8-man instead. It would give them an opportunity to be more competitive.  

I loved it while in school at Nebraska.  I am not sure every game was that high of a score, from what I remember both teams were usually around 40+.  From a fans standpoint it is a lot of action and exciting to watch.  It is a completely different game, and I think is a very viable option to keep supporting football at every level in Indiana.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Julio said:

Title IX will stop 8 man football in Indiana.  In order for the IHSAA to sanction 8 man football in Indiana they would have to sanction another girls sport.  The only one that is close is women’s wrestling to being a sanctioned sports.

Bring in field hockey for a new girls sport, yeah it takes away from soccer and volleyball, but if the worry is making sure we have enough sports that is one that could be used.

1 hour ago, Julio said:

Title IX will stop 8 man football in Indiana.  In order for the IHSAA to sanction 8 man football in Indiana they would have to sanction another girls sport.  The only one that is close is women’s wrestling to being a sanctioned sports.

I'm not an expert, but I don't believe that's the case. In most states it's just treated as another class of football. There could be participation numbers that come into play, but it's not adding another sport.

2 hours ago, Julio said:

8-man football isn't another sport, it's simply an addition to boys football. Title IX won't be an issue. 

Lacrosse would work, but their teams don't want the IHSAA to sponsor it because they don't want to give up playing on Sundays. 

15 hours ago, JustRules said:

Indiana thinks they have small schools. There aren't any really small schools. Some of those upper midwest states have enrollments of less than 50 for all 4 grades.

I agree.  My wife's senior class had 74 kids IIRC (Southern Wells '88).  They thought they were tiny; and they were by Indiana standards.  When we moved to Texas, we found out what smalls schools really are.  My kids class sizes were 44, 48 & 53.  2A school.  There are many 1A's here with 9-12 enrollment below 100.  Many of them are in west/northwest TX.

Edited by Bonecrusher

6 hours ago, CoachDurham said:

How are they supposed to stop anyone with only 8 guys on defense!

We have trouble stopping people with 12 or 13 on Defense!

Dang.  I must've missed the extras last year.  Sorry Coach.  😉

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DT said:

Stop dude. 

17 hours ago, boilerfan87 said:

I agree. The 8-man proposal for Indiana was also fairly recently tabled. So I do not expect such a thing any time soon.

I hope it is revisited once economic situations stabilize. I also don't think it would be a bad thing for some current 11-man teams to potentially play 8-man instead. It would give them an opportunity to be more competitive.  

I think the MWC schools besides North Newton was pushing that. 

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1