Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A South Semi-State: Evansville Mater Dei vs. Western Boone

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

I don’t think you can wait until the week of- just too many variables. With WB/MD, are you going to call up one of the TH schools, a Bloomington school, or maybe Jasper? 

Those schools put up their goalpost pads, down markers, locked up the concession stands and locker rooms 3 weeks ago. They have moved on to basketball.

But if it’s set ahead time, for example it was set in summer that Bloomington North would host a semi - state, imagine a MD/WeBo game at 1:00 pm and Castle/Cathedral at 5pm. (In a non COVID year of course.)

If BHSN happens to advance to semi state - well that would be no different than what we have now with Castle hosting the 5A south. 

Just an idea to keep things as fair as possible.  I’m sure if they wanted to try this, they could find schools willing to accommodate it.  Money makes the world go round, after all.

But, either way, I’m very much in favor of neutral site semi-states.

18 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

I know that there is a Girls BBall tournament this coming weekend which may be why Webo asked for a 1:00 pm Eastern Time (Noon Central).  We played Southridge 2 years ago at Semi State at the same time I believe.  I wont pretend to have any other insight as to what the coaches/ADs have discussed.

I dont believe there is any intent of “gamesmanship” or trying to be “unsportsman like”.  

I believe the Southridge start in 2018 was a bit later in the afternoon.  I say this because I was at a college football game that started at 3:30 that afternoon and I was checking for Twitter updates on my phone.  My guess is that it was a 3:00 start.  

Did a Google search and came up with this.  If this is accurate, that Southridge game started at 2:00 (EST).

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/11/16/tucker-scjank-rounds-into-form-southridge-roll/2016114002/

"The No. 10 Raiders (10-3) will play at No. 1 Western Boone (13-0) at 1 p.m. CST on Saturday."

I believe the Southridge complaint was the field though and not the time.  That was the year before Western Boone installed field turf and some here did not like having to play on a grass field in November one bit.  

6 hours ago, XStar said:

Did a Google search and came up with this.  If this is accurate, that Southridge game started at 2:00 (EST).

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/11/16/tucker-scjank-rounds-into-form-southridge-roll/2016114002/

"The No. 10 Raiders (10-3) will play at No. 1 Western Boone (13-0) at 1 p.m. CST on Saturday."

I believe the Southridge complaint was the field though and not the time.  That was the year before Western Boone installed field turf and some here did not like having to play on a grass field in November one bit.  

An hour difference in the time In 2018 vs what was discussed above.

And I believe it rained the night before or early that morning... both teams played on the same field... 

Edited by 1st_and_10

I think it’s interesting that MD finished #12 in the AP poll/#13 in the coaches poll and Webo finished #14 in the AP poll/#12 in the coaches poll. Not much love for either of these teams for some reason. I don’t usually pay very close attention to the polls so maybe this actually happens often. 

21 minutes ago, Moonshiners said:

I think it’s interesting that MD finished #12 in the AP poll/#13 in the coaches poll and Webo finished #14 in the AP poll/#12 in the coaches poll. Not much love for either of these teams for some reason. I don’t usually pay very close attention to the polls so maybe this actually happens often. 

Mater Dei was 5-4 at the time of the last poll. The only team they had beat with a winning record was North at 5-4. Although they play a tough schedule that record is not going to inspire many votes from people out of the local area.

3 hours ago, Moonshiners said:

Honestly I don’t pay ANY attention to the AP (I consider it the “short bus” poll....can I say that these days post Election?) just a little more credence to Coach’s poll....just a little........very little....very, very little.

Unfortunately, SAC and SIAC are outside of any analytics until the first week of playoffs.  

That’s a problem.  

Anyone with a lizard’s brain knew both of these teams were well better than those rankings.....and are FAR from shocked to see them in the Final 4.

I think that you could easily put some locations on standby so that they are ready if and when things play out.  Here would be how I could see this Saturday shaping up if it were done this way.

@ BHSN - MD v WEBO followed by Castle v Cathedral

@ BHSS - CC v WW followed by SR v Danville

@ Kokomo - LCC v SA followed by Pioneer v Luers

@ Logansport - Chatard v Marian followed by Hobart v Marion

@ L. Jeff - Zionsville v Valpo followed by Westfield v Merriville

@ Carmel - Mooresville v Roncalli followed by CG v BD

It is not perfect, but it could certainly be done.  I believe that it would be to the benefit of every school involved and not based on ping pong balls dictating where someone is playing at this point of the season.  Every game is on Saturday, and start times are 4:30 / 7 or 5 / 7:30.

On 11/14/2020 at 10:53 AM, TigerFan20 said:
Evansville Mater Dei (9-4) at Western Boone (9-4)
GAME TIME: 7:30 pm ET, Western Boone.
COACHES: Mike Goebel, 236-75 in 24th year at Mater Dei. Justin Pelley, 76-24 in 8th year at Western Boone.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Mater Dei, 69.67, 61st overall, 3rd in 2A. Western Boone, 62.62, 88th overall, 8th in 2A.
LAST OUTING: Mater Dei defeated Triton Central, 16-6. Western Boone defeated Heritage Christian, 42-27.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Mater Dei 75-65. Western Boone 69-63.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Western Boone, 2-0
LAST MEETING: Western Boone, 28-21, Nov. 13, 1998, regional.
jh PREDICTION: Mater Dei, 31-17.

MD is now the favorite to win state

Until it happens, WeBo is the favorite as the 2-time defending state champ in my book......Their defense is SUPERB!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coaches can win games, but players win championships... Coach Goebel has cobbled together a successful season from what at the beginning of the season looked like a wash of a season. That's what HoF coaches do though and I believe Coach Goebel is easily one of the Top 10 coaches statewide over the past two decades... I believe polling to IFCA would support that.

That being said "Jimmies and Joes, Not Xs and Os" ... "Players Win Championships" ...

I'm not sure Mater Dei has the horses of to reach the finish line first, but I know the Wildcats will scratch and claw the whole way.

First possessions should tell us a lot!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Coaches can win games, but players win championships... Coach Goebel has cobbled together a successful season from what at the beginning of the season looked like a wash of a season. That's what HoF coaches do though and I believe Coach Goebel is easily one of the Top 10 coaches statewide over the past two decades... I believe polling to IFCA would support that.

That being said "Jimmies and Joes, Not Xs and Os" ... "Players Win Championships" ...

I'm not sure Mater Dei has the horses of to reach the finish line first, but I know the Wildcats will scratch and claw the whole way.

Sounds a lot like Webo.  With what Webo graduated the last 2 years we had a lot of young kids playing and I am not sure anyone expected them to get to Semi State.  Started the season 1-3 and won 8 of the next 9 (only loss was to Danville who is playing 3A Semi State).  I think the Coaches have put these kids in position to win both Sectionals and Regionals.  You are right, though.  The players have to perform.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1st and Goal said:

Western Boone Defense is starting 1 Freshman and 6 Sophomore's. The talent is real at Webo lots of good things to come 

I was trying to figure this out while watching the game online last week.  Are there any seniors on the line?

4 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Many of MD's skilled players are sophomores, they had to learn varsity football. They are coming on now, add to it a very good line on both sides of the ball and they have the "Jimmies and Joes." Doesn't mean they won't lose but believe me they are very capable. 

7 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Why did you shut down the Southridge / Lawrenceburg thread?  Nothing objectionable being discussed, nothing inflammatory.  Seems odd.  Nobody shut down the other Regional game threads.