Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral vs Castle - 5A Semistate

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

You can't "earn" a home game, since there is nothing you can do to influence who gets a home game. 

You CAN earn a chance to host a home game, by winning. Losers don’t get that chance. 

I agree all 4 are proud,  and earned ,by Winning ,the chance to host a game. 

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

If it's OK that the other two are just proud they got this far, why can't all 4 of them be proud they got this far at a neutral game sit

7 minutes ago, southend said:

You CAN earn a chance to host a home game, by winning. Losers don’t get that chance. 

I agree all 4 are proud,  and earned ,by Winning ,the chance to host a game. 

To describe this logic as “fuzzy” is being charitable. How does your logic square with the randomness of who gets home field advantage? There isn’t any real dispute that home field confers an advantage. Why should one “winner” get it and the other “winner” not? If you can’t entitle yourself to a home game by your performance, then you haven’t earned a thing, except the right to play another game. If you don’t have the right to complain about a 3 hr. drive, then you have no logical right to object to a neutral site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

@southend. But I guess what you're saying is that neutral sites are bad because they rob a team of the hoopla associated with a big home game, which (and this is still a mystery to me

I believe you're in the minority. There's nothing more exciting than the atmosphere of a home crowd, especially during big games. Why would you want to take that away? Because of "fairness"? Maybe we can give everyone a trophy too! As a player, coach or fan, I've never blamed a loss on being the away team. We should make EVERY playoff game at a neutral site... In the name of fairness. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vicvinegar said:

I believe you're in the minority. There's nothing more exciting than the atmosphere of a home crowd, especially during big games. Why would you want to take that away? Because of "fairness"? Maybe we can give everyone a trophy too! As a player, coach or fan, I've never blamed a loss on being the away team. We should make EVERY playoff game at a neutral site... In the name of fairness. 

In principle, I agree. In reality, the logistics of holding the entire tournament at neutral sites precludes that option. And I thought “fairness” was the goal here. Teams that have made it to the Regional have a legitimate shot at contending for a state championship, so all teams from that point on should be treated as equal, as long as our tournament is all in, unseeded, and random draw.

Now, if you want to really talk about actually earning home field advantage in the tournament by your regular season performance, I am completely on board with this. You don’t like “participation” trophies? Neither do I. What do you think awarding a team a home semistate game when they have done nothing more than their opponent is - that’s a “participation” trophy by any other name. And what on earth makes you think you can’t get a “big game” atmosphere at a neutral site? It happens all over the country every year ... except in Indiana. Arguably, neutral sites produce a better “big game” atmosphere because more people can attend due to the reduced travel time.

This is just another example of sacrificing a way to make Indiana football better in order to preserve a “feel good” vibe for some unknown school that gets to host a regional once every 40 years. It’s thinking small, taking the tunnel vision view instead of looking out for the good of high school football in Indiana as a whole.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Beautiful time of the year to travel down SR-37 and I-69... God's Country, I tell ya!

BTW: As someone who hasn't been in Indiana in two years, but will be in a month (for a holiday visit) -- how far north has the I-69/SR-37 project progressed? Does it still basically end at Martinsville?

If I come from Jasper, I'll take US 231 to I-69, but if coming from Santa Claus, it'll be I-64 to I-65 (hopefully no construction around Louisville/Jeffersonville).

I'm not sure how far I69 goes up north, but it gets to at least Bloomington.  I have relatives all over Martin and Daviess Counties, so I get down there quite often.  I live on the far west side of Marion County so I take I70 to 231 and go to either Loogootee or Washington.  BTW, Stoll's Lakeview is a great Amish Buffet 2 1/2 miles north of Loogootee on 231.

I took I69 from Washington to Bloomington last summer (2019) and it was a nice ride but there are no gas stations, restaurants or rest areas up that way.  You need to not be hungry, low on gas or have too many liquids in your body when driving up that way.  I understand it still hasn't grown much since then.

Have a safe trip, and stay safe!

50 minutes ago, Bobref said:

In principle, I agree. In reality, the logistics of holding the entire tournament at neutral sites precludes that option. And I thought “fairness” was the goal here. Teams that have made it to the Regional have a legitimate shot at contending for a state championship, so all teams from that point on should be treated as equal, as long as our tournament is all in, unseeded, and random draw.

Now, if you want to really talk about actually earning home field advantage in the tournament by your regular season performance, I am completely on board with this. You don’t like “participation” trophies? Neither do I. What do you think awarding a team a home semistate game when they have done nothing more than their opponent is - that’s a “participation” trophy by any other name. And what on earth makes you think you can’t get a “big game” atmosphere at a neutral site? It happens all over the country every year ... except in Indiana. Arguably, neutral sites produce a better “big game” atmosphere because more people can attend due to the reduced travel time.

This is just another example of sacrificing a way to make Indiana football better in order to preserve a “feel good” vibe for some unknown school that gets to host a regional once every 40 years. It’s thinking small, taking the tunnel vision view instead of looking out for the good of high school football in Indiana as a whole.

It's fair in the fact that everyone has the same shot to host, right before the drawing. At least seeding makes a LITTLE more sense. I don't know how you plan on plan on doing that. Sargins rating? There's no question these aren't always correct. One example would be closed conferences. Surely you can't be considering wins & losses. 

As far replicating the same atmosphere at a neutral site, you're kidding, right? You think you're going to get the same attendance if both teams have to drive an hour and a half? I'm sure everyone of those students that would have been in the student section will be there. 

Is there a distance requirement or must every game be held at a neutral site? Are we going to make BD & CG travel to Arsenal Tech just so there is no "home field advantage". 

I'd rather have a 50/50 shot of playing at home, than never being able to play at home. 

Thank goodness the IHSAA agrees with me. 

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, vicvinegar said:

It's fair in the fact that everyone has the same shot to host, right before the drawing. At least seeding makes a LITTLE more sense. I don't know how you plan on plan on doing that. Sargins rating? There's no question these aren't always correct. One example would be closed conferences. Surely you can't be considering wins & losses. 

As far replicating the same atmosphere at a neutral site, you're kidding, right? You think you're going to get the same attendance if both teams have to drive an hour and a half? I'm sure everyone of those students that would have been in the student section will be there. 

Is there a distance requirement or must every game be held at a neutral site? Are we going to make BD & CG travel to Arsenal Tech just so there is no "home field advantage". 

I'd rather have a 50/50 shot of playing at home, than never being able to play at home. 

Thank goodness the IHSAA agrees with me. 

You’re right. Indiana knows something most other state’s don’t. Somehow, we just know better ... despite the mounds of evidence elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

As much as I hate to miss a game, my gang is staying home this Friday.  Just too many miles for old folks.  I guess we'll be paying the IHSAA either way.

Just now, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

I am not sure what it is about Cathedral threads and non-related topic discussions.

It kinda makes you wonder!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vicvinegar said:

Let’s just hope he’s in the minority here, there  are some loose minded opinions on here. 
I can’t imagine taking an exciting element , home field, out of high school football.  
And to top that off , to say these winning teams “earned nothing” ?  I don’t know where to begin. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

I am not sure what it is about Cathedral threads and non-related topic discussions.

Most discussions are much more entertaining than what this game is going to be. Irish are going to boat race Castle. I would be shocked if it was less than a 40 point game. 

6 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

Most discussions are much more entertaining than what this game is going to be. Irish are going to boat race Castle. I would be shocked if it was less than a 40 point game. 

Lol you won’t get any argument from me on the results of this game. I think another in 6a will be the same. Hard to watch unless you have ties to the teams. 

I vividly remember the last time Cathedral played a semi-state game in Evansville.   It was in 2009 and to begin with the fan bus could not leave school because someone scheduled the departure during dismissal time.  It was a mess.  Well,  we were late getting started and arrived in the vicinity of Reitz Bowl late, and the bus driver didn't know where to go.  We were to go to a remote area and another bus was to shuttle us to the game.  We ended up being dumped, and I mean dumped, 3 blocks from Reitz Bowl.  We could here the PA and see the lights but we had to walk those three blocks uphill and it was steep.  We had elderly people that couldn't make it up the hill without help, and I had just had serious cancer surgery two years before and I was no help.  We ended up getting to our seats 11 minutes before kickoff.  We were told that the team didn't arrive until about 45 minutes before game time.  Reitz scored quick and often and we suffered a 31-10 loss.  It was good that we had friends save seats or us.  We even lost our QB, Kofi Hughes, in the first half and had very little chance for a comeback.  Then on the way home, the Cavallo bus driver decides he needs a cup of coffee, so he stops at a McDonalds and spent about a half hour drinking his coffee.  We returned home about 3AM.  It was a night from hell if there ever was one!

1 minute ago, PHJIrish said:

I vividly remember the last time Cathedral played a semi-state game in Evansville.   It was in 2009 and to begin with the fan bus could not leave school because someone scheduled the departure during dismissal time.  It was a mess.  Well,  we were late getting started and arrived in the vicinity of Reitz Bowl late, and the bus driver didn't know where to go.  We were to go to a remote area and another bus was to shuttle us to the game.  We ended up being dumped, and I mean dumped, 3 blocks from Reitz Bowl.  We could here the PA and see the lights but we had to walk those three blocks uphill and it was steep.  We had elderly people that couldn't make it up the hill without help, and I had just had serious cancer surgery two years before and I was no help.  We ended up getting to our seats 11 minutes before kickoff.  We were told that the team didn't arrive until about 45 minutes before game time.  Reitz scored quick and often and we suffered a 31-10 loss.  It was good that we had friends save seats or us.  We even lost our QB, Kofi Hughes, in the first half and had very little chance for a comeback.  Then on the way home, the Cavallo bus driver decides he needs a cup of coffee, so he stops at a McDonalds and spent about a half hour drinking his coffee.  We returned home about 3AM.  It was a night from hell if there ever was one!

No obstacles like that this week.  The largest hill around Castle is the crown on their football field. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

But still, you had to love the bowl!

5 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Boys will be arriving much earlier than 45 minutes.  They are leaving at 1:00 pm and will be arriving at another Evansville HS where they will be having a team meal and Mass prior to having a walk through for everyone to loosen up after the 3 hours on the buses.  Then getting dressed and making the short bus ride to Castle for the game.  No lag or let down this time around.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

But still, you had to love the bowl!

The home side is big, the visitor's side is not so big.

27 minutes ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

Boys will be arriving much earlier than 45 minutes.  They are leaving at 1:00 pm and will be arriving at another Evansville HS where they will be having a team meal and Mass prior to having a walk through for everyone to loosen up after the 3 hours on the buses.  Then getting dressed and making the short bus ride to Castle for the game.  No lag or let down this time around.

This is as it should be!😎

1 hour ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

A Catholic HS perhaps?  You damn cheatin' Catholics all stick together don't ya?  (LMAO...I kid...I kid)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

The home side is big, the visitor's side is not so big.

This is as it should be!😎

Depending on the size of the crowd, which probably won't be a factor this year, larger visitor sections usually take the bleachers behind the visiting team and then wrap around the south end of the bowl behind the end zone as well. In fact, when we would play there our parents would sit behind the team and the students and some parents take the bowl behind the end zone. Plenty of seating for any high school contest.

2 hours ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

IIRC, wasn't part of the issue a pre-game Mass and meal at St. Meinrad in 2009?  I thought that is what I heard.. a bit of a long-winded sermon and a recruiting pitch to answer a call to the vocation?  That might just be urban legend around these parts though. 

But yes, the roads in and out of the bowl are extremely unfriendly to visiting buses and fans.  My family member that needs a walker hates the bowl for that reason alone.