Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral vs Castle - 5A Semistate

It will be nice to be back downtown on Thanksgiving weekend!  It's been a long time, 2014.  I look forward to playing Zionsville for the 5A State Title!

The announcers for this game were not good, as was the playing field.  There couldn't have been more than a couple hundred blades of grass on that field.  The announcers sounded like it had been awhile since they had seen a high school football game, let along announce one.

1 hour ago, Dave007 said:

Lots of reserves playing on defense starting 3Q

Looked like your 1’s on offense played the entire game.  No running clock, beaten in the second half by a middle of the road team in the SIAC.  Kind of sad for all the hype that was pre game.

25 minutes ago, Stickfish said:

Looked like your 1’s on offense played the entire game.  No running clock, beaten in the second half by a middle of the road team in the SIAC.  Kind of sad for all the hype that was pre game.

Talk about trying to put lipstick on a pig ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Kill me now 1

6 hours ago, Stickfish said:

“Beaten in the second half”, lol.

That’ll show em.

Edited by temptation
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Scoreboard!😜

I’ll be the first to acquiesce this outcome of the game was over before the bagpiper hit the field, which was a nice touch.  But the fact remains with a choice to play the 1s on offense the entire game there was no running clock and failed to beat the Knights on the scoreboard the second half although surely the should have.  Perhaps if you recount the outcome it will turn out different?

12 minutes ago, Stickfish said:

I’ll be the first to acquiesce this outcome of the game was over before the bagpiper hit the field, which was a nice touch.  But the fact remains with a choice to play the 1s on offense the entire game there was no running clock and failed to beat the Knights on the scoreboard the second half although surely the should have.  Perhaps if you recount the outcome it will turn out different?

Irish went entirely vanilla in 2nd half from what I could tell. Switched out players on defense early, even with number 1's on offense ran basic plays. That being said had their not been 3 missed PAT's the running clock would have been instituted (score 32-0 at the time 3 PAT's would have put it at 35-0) Castle scored on the defense with back-ups in with 7:22 remaining in the game. Recovered an onside kick, after the back-up came up with a stop with 4:23 remaining the Irish ran out the clock. The game was never in doubt even in the 3rd and 4th qtr, Irish looked to go on cruise control in 2nd half.

All that being said it was total domination in the first half. 35 plays 342 yds  15 first downs and 29 points to 25 plays 37 yds 4 first downs 0 points. What more could you ask for. They set themselves up in the first half very well. Castle was definitely going to fight, but in all reality the Irish didn't have to do much in the 2nd half.

image.png.490524548104ce1235fa4e6ffde6bb94.png

26 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Irish went entirely vanilla in 2nd half from what I could tell. Switched out players on defense early, even with number 1's on offense ran basic plays. That being said had their not been 3 missed PAT's the running clock would have been instituted (score 32-0 at the time 3 PAT's would have put it at 35-0) Castle scored on the defense with back-ups in with 7:22 remaining in the game. Recovered an onside kick, after the back-up came up with a stop with 4:23 remaining the Irish ran out the clock. The game was never in doubt even in the 3rd and 4th qtr, Irish looked to go on cruise control in 2nd half.

All that being said it was total domination in the first half. 35 plays 342 yds  15 first downs and 29 points to 25 plays 37 yds 4 first downs 0 points. What more could you ask for. They set themselves up in the first half very well. Castle was definitely going to fight, but in all reality the Irish didn't have to do much in the 2nd half.

image.png.490524548104ce1235fa4e6ffde6bb94.png

there’s one thing Cathedral won’t do and that’s run up the score on an inferior opponent. Scored 7 2nd half points against Decatur, 14 against Whiteland, and 3 against Castle after dominating first halves.

51 minutes ago, Stickfish said:

It sounds like you are disappointed that Cathedral did not try to run up the score?  I am sorry, but they don't tend to embrace that practice on anyone.

18 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

It sounds like you are disappointed that Cathedral did not try to run up the score?  I am sorry, but they don't tend to embrace that practice on anyone.

Yep!  No use running it up.  Save the troops to play another day.  New Pal had a different mindset in past years, as have other teams.  Lots of players got to play in a semi-state and that's always good.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/18/2020 at 5:03 PM, PHJIrish said:

The home side is big, the visitor's side is not so big.

This is as it should be!😎

Because the Bowl is so steep and long (with the school towering over all), the visitors’ side, which stays much lower to the ground and goes more “out” than “up”, seems small. I believe it actually seats 2,000-2,500 which I’d assume is among the largest visitor sections in the state.  I remember in 2009 there were plenty seats left available for Irish fans had they made the trip.

6E87B90F-047E-44C6-8345-A469CA704BFE.jpeg

2 hours ago, GoBigBlue11 said:

Because the Bowl is so steep and long (with the school towering over all), the visitors’ side, which stays much lower to the ground and goes more “out” than “up”, seems small. I believe it actually seats 2,000-2,500 which I’d assume is among the largest visitor sections in the state.  I remember in 2009 there were plenty seats left available for Irish fans had they made the trip.

6E87B90F-047E-44C6-8345-A469CA704BFE.jpeg

So?