Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

Cathedral vs Castle - 5A Semistate


Recommended Posts

It will be nice to be back downtown on Thanksgiving weekend!  It's been a long time, 2014.  I look forward to playing Zionsville for the 5A State Title!

The announcers for this game were not good, as was the playing field.  There couldn't have been more than a couple hundred blades of grass on that field.  The announcers sounded like it had been awhile since they had seen a high school football game, let along announce one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave007 said:

Lots of reserves playing on defense starting 3Q

Looked like your 1’s on offense played the entire game.  No running clock, beaten in the second half by a middle of the road team in the SIAC.  Kind of sad for all the hype that was pre game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Stickfish said:

Looked like your 1’s on offense played the entire game.  No running clock, beaten in the second half by a middle of the road team in the SIAC.  Kind of sad for all the hype that was pre game.

Talk about trying to put lipstick on a pig ...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Kill me now 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Stickfish said:

Looked like your 1’s on offense played the entire game.  No running clock, beaten in the second half by a middle of the road team in the SIAC.  Kind of sad for all the hype that was pre game.

“Beaten in the second half”, lol.

That’ll show em.

Edited by temptation
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Scoreboard!😜

I’ll be the first to acquiesce this outcome of the game was over before the bagpiper hit the field, which was a nice touch.  But the fact remains with a choice to play the 1s on offense the entire game there was no running clock and failed to beat the Knights on the scoreboard the second half although surely the should have.  Perhaps if you recount the outcome it will turn out different?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Stickfish said:

I’ll be the first to acquiesce this outcome of the game was over before the bagpiper hit the field, which was a nice touch.  But the fact remains with a choice to play the 1s on offense the entire game there was no running clock and failed to beat the Knights on the scoreboard the second half although surely the should have.  Perhaps if you recount the outcome it will turn out different?

Irish went entirely vanilla in 2nd half from what I could tell. Switched out players on defense early, even with number 1's on offense ran basic plays. That being said had their not been 3 missed PAT's the running clock would have been instituted (score 32-0 at the time 3 PAT's would have put it at 35-0) Castle scored on the defense with back-ups in with 7:22 remaining in the game. Recovered an onside kick, after the back-up came up with a stop with 4:23 remaining the Irish ran out the clock. The game was never in doubt even in the 3rd and 4th qtr, Irish looked to go on cruise control in 2nd half.

All that being said it was total domination in the first half. 35 plays 342 yds  15 first downs and 29 points to 25 plays 37 yds 4 first downs 0 points. What more could you ask for. They set themselves up in the first half very well. Castle was definitely going to fight, but in all reality the Irish didn't have to do much in the 2nd half.

image.png.490524548104ce1235fa4e6ffde6bb94.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Irish went entirely vanilla in 2nd half from what I could tell. Switched out players on defense early, even with number 1's on offense ran basic plays. That being said had their not been 3 missed PAT's the running clock would have been instituted (score 32-0 at the time 3 PAT's would have put it at 35-0) Castle scored on the defense with back-ups in with 7:22 remaining in the game. Recovered an onside kick, after the back-up came up with a stop with 4:23 remaining the Irish ran out the clock. The game was never in doubt even in the 3rd and 4th qtr, Irish looked to go on cruise control in 2nd half.

All that being said it was total domination in the first half. 35 plays 342 yds  15 first downs and 29 points to 25 plays 37 yds 4 first downs 0 points. What more could you ask for. They set themselves up in the first half very well. Castle was definitely going to fight, but in all reality the Irish didn't have to do much in the 2nd half.

image.png.490524548104ce1235fa4e6ffde6bb94.png

 

there’s one thing Cathedral won’t do and that’s run up the score on an inferior opponent. Scored 7 2nd half points against Decatur, 14 against Whiteland, and 3 against Castle after dominating first halves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Stickfish said:

I’ll be the first to acquiesce this outcome of the game was over before the bagpiper hit the field, which was a nice touch.  But the fact remains with a choice to play the 1s on offense the entire game there was no running clock and failed to beat the Knights on the scoreboard the second half although surely the should have.  Perhaps if you recount the outcome it will turn out different?

It sounds like you are disappointed that Cathedral did not try to run up the score?  I am sorry, but they don't tend to embrace that practice on anyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

It sounds like you are disappointed that Cathedral did not try to run up the score?  I am sorry, but they don't tend to embrace that practice on anyone.

Yep!  No use running it up.  Save the troops to play another day.  New Pal had a different mindset in past years, as have other teams.  Lots of players got to play in a semi-state and that's always good.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...