Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Roncalli starting to look like a 6A Program

Guest DT

28 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Thanks for raising that.  I was tempted to earlier.

It’s painting with too broad a brush to think all the P/Ps are alike or are governed by even vaguely similar rules.   Even then, I can’t speak to understanding the nuances of how P/Ps operate in cities outside of the Indy Archdiocese.....those differences matter, though.

For the most part, all PPs punch well above their weight.   Certainly some more than others.   The Multiplier works for PPs because it treats them all equally, just like the SF treats all public's equally 

Edited by DT

7 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

you are forgetting a bout a very large green school in the north

If we're talking about the same very large green school in the north, that very large green school in the north picked up a player a very large school in the north central

17 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Only rich kids go to P/P’s?

Wouldn’t that then be an even bigger advantage to public schools? 

i did not  say rich i just said if they can afford it.  a family with 2 parents that work with good paying jobs vs a single mom or dad that can just pay the bills.  

Not sure how that would bigger advantage to public schools?

5 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

i did not  say rich i just said if they can afford it.  a family with 2 parents that work with good paying jobs vs a single mom or dad that can just pay the bills.  

Not sure how that would bigger advantage to public schools?

Nearly 2/3’s of Cathedral’s enrollment is on some kind of financial aid and I’m guessing that’s on the low end in comparison to other P/P’s statewide. Plenty of single parent kids going to P/P’s. 

Open enrollment allows you to attend any public school you want. Before, you attended your local high school or paid to go to a private school. Open enrollment ended that ideology. 

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Nearly 2/3’s of Cathedral’s enrollment is on some kind of financial aid and I’m guessing that’s on the low end in comparison to other P/P’s statewide. Plenty of single parent kids going to P/P’s. 

Open enrollment allows you to attend any public school you want. Before, you attended your local high school or paid to go to a private school. Open enrollment ended that ideology. 

i know the rule on open enrollment,  i might have not made it clear,  what i was trying to say.   it is no cost to go from P/S to P/S but to go to P/P you have to phony up some cash

financial aid i see

4 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

i know the rule on open enrollment,  i might have not made it clear,  what i was trying to say.   it is no cost to go from P/S to P/S but to go to P/P you have to phony up some cash

financial aid i see

So how is that not an advantage to public’s?  If I live in IPS and have an 8th grader that is really good, I can either a) send him to one of the many surrounding township schools that have good football programs or pony up and send him to Cathedral or Chatard. One’s free and one cost money. Who holds the advantage?

5 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

financial aid i see

But doesn’t the ability to move freely (financially and otherwise) from one public to another give publics even more added advantage v. paying (however one does it) to go to a private or parochial school?  My guess is that schools like Carmel, as well as Center Grove, have benefited from that.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding everybody involved in this conversation....

I really want to stay out of this debate but there is no comparison (at least at CG) of the numbers of transfers.  Our program loses more kids than it brings in due to the transfer rule.  Not sure we have any kids playing today that are transfers in but we have kids we've lost to Cathedral, Indian Creek, and Greenwood to name a few.

Edited by Grover

12 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

financial aid i see

Open enrollment has changed things but it does cost to go to a public school if you live outside of the district.  Perry Township charges $4400 for out of district students.  I live in Perry Township and I receive 2-3 pieces of mail a month from other public school districts (CG and BG).  Beech Grove actively recruits and charges over $4000 for out of district.  There is also a big difference between parochial and private!  Parochial schools do have districts (deaneries).  Chatard, Ritter, Scecina and Roncalli are parochial schools with defined borders.  By written agreement, schools do not recruit outside of their districts   In my opinion, CYO feeder program is the biggest advantage for Catholic schools.  It is not that CYO competition is better, it is that there are so many more teams.  Perry Meridian and Southport each have one middle school with one MS football team.  They develop 15-20 starters that will enter the HS each year.  There are 9 middle schools feeding Roncalli, 9 middle schools feeding Chatard, 4 middle schools feeding Scecina, and 5 middle schools feeding Ritter.  In years past, there were anywhere from 10-15 middle school football teams feeding Roncalli each year.  That number is now 6-8 but that means that there are 6-8 experienced players developed at each position.  The shear numbers of experienced players entering each freshman class is an advantage.

Brebeuf and Cathedral are private schools (not parochial) with no districts.

BTW, Roncalli huge OL are all underclassman, sophomores with a one first year junior.       

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grover said:

I really want to stay out of this debate but there is no comparison (at least at CG) of the numbers of transfers.  Our program loses more kids than it brings in due to the transfer rule.  Not sure we have any kids playing today that are transfers in but we have kids we've lost to Cathedral, Indian Creek, and Greenwood to name a few.

Lucas Hoffman transferred in from Roncalli.

5 minutes ago, FCGriz said:

Lucas Hoffman transferred in from Roncalli.

I was referring to the new(ish) public school transfers but okay.

Besides, his family has been playing in CG's youth program for over 15 years.  Lucas played here.

Edited by Grover

46 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

financial aid i see

That's not completely accurate.  With vouchers there are some folks than can make it work for a similar cost that it cost for my kid to attend an out-of-district school.  One of my kids attends public school in a different district than where we live and we pay a differential for that to happen ... and when my youngest follows him, we'll have to also pay that differential again.

Edited by foxbat
"that" should have been "than"

2 minutes ago, foxbat said:

That's not completely accurate.  With vouchers there are some folks that can make it work for a similar cost that it cost for my kid to attend an out-of-district school.  One of my kids attends public school in a different district than where we live and we pay a differential for that to happen ... and when my youngest follows him, we'll have to also pay that differential again.

i forget about the vouchers thank your for reminded me about that

8 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

yes he did,  what i was told it was a because of the what happened with the old coach, not to do with playing time, also he played in the CG bantam program as a kid and i believe he lives in WRTS

True, but the Hoffmans also played at St. Barnabas in CYO.  They had an issue with a past coach plus I know how expensive Roncalli is for multiple children.  

This has been covered many times over the years. The parochial schools do not limit their enrollments. They have placement exams, not enrollment exams. None of the four are close to full, which means staffs have to be cut. Shockingly, football classifications do not drive or even figure into their conversations. There are other advantages, but limiting enrollment is not one that Roncalli, Chatard, Scecina, or Ritter have the luxury of employing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DT said:

For the most part, all PPs punch well above their weight.   Certainly some more than others.   The Multiplier works for PPs because it treats them all equally, just like the SF treats all public's equally 

Socioeconomics > Enrollment

You give me a school’s free and reduced lunch population and I can usually tell you how successful their athletic program is.