Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A North Semi-State: Pioneer @ FW Bishop Luers

I’m not too familiar with pioneer but I did watch some of their game with Andrean last night. They run a very similar offense to Fairfield. Run heavy, little to no pass game. Only loss this year is to little sister to the east (New Haven) 32-28. Tough group of kids. Probably the most physical team in the tournament the knights have seen yet.

1 hour ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

I’m not too familiar with pioneer but I did watch some of their game with Andrean last night. They run a very similar offense to Fairfield. Run heavy, little to no pass game. Only loss this year is to little sister to the east (New Haven) 32-28. Tough group of kids. Probably the most physical team in the tournament the knights have seen yet.

Fairfield's offensive line had Luers D Line on its heals most of the night.  I watch helmets.  I saw Luers helmets most of the night which means they were being pushed back and controlled.  Could pose major problems if Pioneer is similar to Fairfield.

11 minutes ago, LuersLurker said:

Fairfield's offensive line had Luers D Line on its heals most of the night.  I watch helmets.  I saw Luers helmets most of the night which means they were being pushed back and controlled.  Could pose major problems if Pioneer is similar to Fairfield.

Not sure how they operate this year, but past seasons they primarily ran the ball and looked for a simple pass play when they lull you to sleep. I believe they still have the twins and they are speedsters. They had done quite a bit off tackle in 2016 and 2nd man through with Kiser. Probably similar with some changes.

35 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Not sure how they operate this year, but past seasons they primarily ran the ball and looked for a simple pass play when they lull you to sleep. I believe they still have the twins and they are speedsters. They had done quite a bit off tackle in 2016 and 2nd man through with Kiser. Probably similar with some changes.

Those twins are dangerous..👀

1 hour ago, LuersLurker said:

Do you mean Eastside?

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

From the game I saw last night, it’s the same type of offense just this version isn’t most to all of the carries belonging to one guy (Kiser). They spread the wealth pretty well. Fairfield ran the exact same offense in round 2, so Luers is recently familiar with it. This week they will have to play another very disciplined game defensively. 

Does anyone have any insight as to how pioneer is defensively?? I watched some of the game last night but was mostly focused on the 2 teams offenses, as Luers’ defense has been somewhat inconsistent at times.

2 hours ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

From the game I saw last night, it’s the same type of offense just this version isn’t most to all of the carries belonging to one guy (Kiser). They spread the wealth pretty well. Fairfield ran the exact same offense in round 2, so Luers is recently familiar with it. This week they will have to play another very disciplined game defensively. 

Does anyone have any insight as to how pioneer is defensively?? I watched some of the game last night but was mostly focused on the 2 teams offenses, as Luers’ defense has been somewhat inconsistent at times.

Probably still pulling both the guard & tackle as well. That was a different wrinkle compared to other teams. They also like to let the interior line go when running outside so they can block downfield. They used to have a hybrid 5-3 to 5-2 (play like a 3-5/3-4 some instances). They have 3 down interior linemen and 2 standing up DE's and at least 2 inside LB's with a 3rd playing a monster or a nickel type db. Lengthy and quick but not really bulky up front. They look deceiving to put it in a way. Very physical type of guys. 

5 hours ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

Lol... NH struggled to finish middle of the pack in the NE8

5 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Probably still pulling both the guard & tackle as well. That was a different wrinkle compared to other teams. They also like to let the interior line go when running outside so they can block downfield. They used to have a hybrid 5-3 to 5-2 (play like a 3-5/3-4 some instances). They have 3 down interior linemen and 2 standing up DE's and at least 2 inside LB's with a 3rd playing a monster or a nickel type db. Lengthy and quick but not really bulky up front. They look deceiving to put it in a way. Very physical type of guys. 

Interesting. Sounds like the 5-2 we ran when I was at Luers with a 3rd monster type hybrid playing up. It’ll be interesting to see how they match up with the Knights’ pass game. They throw it all over the yard and have 4 legitimate receivers to throw it to. 

21 minutes ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

Interesting. Sounds like the 5-2 we ran when I was at Luers with a 3rd monster type hybrid playing up. It’ll be interesting to see how they match up with the Knights’ pass game. They throw it all over the yard and have 4 legitimate receivers to throw it to. 

It's going to come down to the Luers OL blocking. If they can keep Pioneers quick defensive linemen out, they probably have a good shot. I believe both twins play db so they probably match up with receivers, it will be the other 2/3 dbs matching up. Also going to come down to Luers D line stuffing the running lanes and having great gap integrity. Part of the time they want to run the ball like draw plays when they stretch it out and other times they just try to outman you up the middle and around the edge. They like to mix a version of the triple option in a unique way. The pulling of the guard and tackle to either create a wedge or zone run scheme where the back picks which of the two to follow as they didn't always lead the same hole. I noticed they would have the the left guard pull to kick the opposite dt or de out but the left tackle pulling and then going back to the left guards spot to find a lb, others he'd replace the right guard. Their TE's like to seal the edge.

Edited by Basementbias

On 11/14/2020 at 3:06 PM, MDAlum82 said:

Is this another "sleeper" Luers team that has a less than stellar season record, due to tough FW area competition, and then rolls through the 2A tournament?   

We can only hope!

20 hours ago, 07_statechamp54 said:

Same "D" we ran when I played.  Heritage early-mid 80's.

10 hours ago, XStar said:

I see Pioneer winning big.  

Anyone who believes this doesn’t value the SAC as a quality conference. Luers has played great competition all season long. The conference may have trouble getting the big schools to advance, but Luers and Concordia benefit greatly come playoff time.

I’m not saying Luers should be the favorite, but it will be a hard fought game.

22 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

Lol... NH struggled to finish middle of the pack in the NE8

Pioneer has a 1A enrollment and playing up in 2A. If memory serves correctly, the game with NH was a last minute addition to the schedule due to covid. I believe that the game was a week after Pioneer beat 6A Chesterton and had some key injuries but still scheduled up to 4A NH. Yeah, they lost but a 1A enrollment beating a 6A and losing in the closing minutes to a 4A isn't too shabby. 

I know the SAC prepares Luers but Pioneer's schedule wasn't too bad either. Andrean was no slouch either. It's ok though, I'm sure Pioneer doesn't mind being overlooked or having their loss to NH being a sign that fans don't think they can beat Luers. 

Good luck to both teams, I hope it is a great game and that both teams come out healthy.

52 minutes ago, Offintheyard said:

Pioneer has a 1A enrollment and playing up in 2A. If memory serves correctly, the game with NH was a last minute addition to the schedule due to covid. I believe that the game was a week after Pioneer beat 6A Chesterton and had some key injuries but still scheduled up to 4A NH. Yeah, they lost but a 1A enrollment beating a 6A and losing in the closing minutes to a 4A isn't too shabby. 

I know the SAC prepares Luers but Pioneer's schedule wasn't too bad either. Andrean was no slouch either. It's ok though, I'm sure Pioneer doesn't mind being overlooked or having their loss to NH being a sign that fans don't think they can beat Luers. 

Good luck to both teams, I hope it is a great game and that both teams come out healthy.

I can assure you none of those coaches or players at Luers are overlooking the Panthers. Personally, I have watched some film of Pioneer and think they pose some issues for the Knights. Their offense is a standard Wing T but they like to also mix in some triple option type plays out of it. Defensively they are undersized but play fast and love to bring pressure in their 5-2. They play with a lot of fire and play through the whistle with full effort. With that said, I also know from watching Luers play that they pose a lot of issues for the Panthers. Luers is very efficient offensively and has quick strike ability.  They have several athletes who are dangerous in space on both sides of the ball. Never will I overlook Pioneer, but I also won’t discount Luers. Should be a hell of a game on Friday.