Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Center Grove AT Ben Davis 6A South Semi-State

For the eighth time in the history of these two programs, Ben Davis and Center Grove meet in the Semi-State. Obviously, Center Grove is an amazing football team who is playing sensational football. The first time these two met earlier this year, the Trojans "mercy ruled" the Giants in a 35-14 win. It's going to be a high hill to climb, but BD has some balance that many of the other teams in the MIC did not. J'uan Swanson has emerged and the defense is playing stout football. Will it be enough to conquer Mr. Jackson, Mr. Steele, Mr. Delp and the amazing Trojans' D? 

Here we go!

Edited by BDGiant93

I think CG has more respect for the BD program than for any other school they play, regular season or post season.  It took CG years to climb the hill to reach the level of the Giants, and I think CG knows as well as anyone how tough it is to climb to the top of the mountain, and then stay there.

I can see Moore pouring it on against Carmel or Warren if given the chance, but he wont try to embarrass BD.  He has great reverence for that program and its history of greatness.

Edited by DT

I like Center Grove in this game, but this has the potential to be a much closer game than most believe

- J'Uan Swanson has been a breath of fresh air for the Giants.  He has a quick release and has speedy receivers.  If Swanson is given time to throw and can make the passes, BD will be able to put some points on the board.  The biggest issue in this game is I don't see BD being able to do much in the running game, but BD can't abandon the run, otherwise the CG defense will eat them alive.

- CG offense is going to be challenged against a much improved defense and, if the CG passing game can't get yardage, then I believe this has the makings of a 21-17 type of game.

That said, if BD can't capitalize on CG's very few weaknesses, then this game winds up 56-21 real fast.  Congrats to both teams on their Regional Championship victories!

• Thanks 1

Looking at these scoring predictions, its shocking to me to see how huge the gap has become between these two programs.

BD still has 4600 students, 20 coaches, top notch facilities and solid administratibve support, just like it did 20 years ago.

CGs enrollment has grown from 2200 to 2500, still 2000 plus behind BD.

How did this happen?

9 minutes ago, DT said:

Looking at these scoring predictions, its shocking to me to see how huge the gap has become between these two programs.

BD still has 4600 students, 20 coaches, top notch facilities and solid administratibve support, just like it did 20 years ago.

CGs enrollment has grown from 2200 to 2500, still 2000 plus behind BD.

How did this happen?

SES, coaching consistency, offensive identity.

Edited by temptation

On 11/14/2020 at 7:44 PM, DT said:

I think CG has more respect for the BD program than for any other school they play, regular season or post season.  It took CG years to climb the hill to reach the level of the Giants, and I think CG knows as well as anyone how tough it is to climb to the top of the mountain, and then stay there.

I can see Moore pouring it on against Carmel or Warren if given the chance, but he wont try to embarrass BD.  He has great reverence for that program and its history of greatness.

And you know this how?  Looks to me like he let his foot off the gas against all three in the second half.

West and he used to be on the same staff unless I am mistaken.

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

And you know this how?  Looks to me like he let his foot off the gas against all three in the second half.

West and he used to be on the same staff unless I am mistaken.

Ive heard Coach Moore speak of his respect for the BD program in many interviews over the years.   CG and WC have had some dustups over the years, and CG - CA is like a sibling rivalry.  

18 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

I like Center Grove in this game, but this has the potential to be a much closer game than most believe

- J'Uan Swanson has been a breath of fresh air for the Giants.  He has a quick release and has speedy receivers.  If Swanson is given time to throw and can make the passes, BD will be able to put some points on the board.  The biggest issue in this game is I don't see BD being able to do much in the running game, but BD can't abandon the run, otherwise the CG defense will eat them alive.

- CG offense is going to be challenged against a much improved defense and, if the CG passing game can't get yardage, then I believe this has the makings of a 21-17 type of game.

That said, if BD can't capitalize on CG's very few weaknesses, then this game winds up 56-21 real fast.  Congrats to both teams on their Regional Championship victories!

Historically, the favorite has at times a tough time in this one. If we look at the seven Semi-State meetings between the two teams, it's rarely cut and dry.

1987-Ben Davis 49, Center Grove 0 (BD's first Semi-State triumph)

2000-Center Grove 30, Ben Davis 28 (Awful weather. I believe Banks threw five INTs, but the Giants still had a chance to win it. Center Grove avenged an earlier season loss)

2002-Ben Davis 21, Center Grove 3 (Dick Dullaghan's 300th win. Giants avenged the earlier regular season loss)

2008-Center Grove 49, Ben Davis 21 (A game that was closer than the final indicated. Again, another cold weather game)

2014-Ben Davis 49, Center Grove 45 (Still one of the most unbelievable games I've ever seen. BD had won 28-0 in the regular season)

2016-Center Grove 42, Ben Davis 22 (This game was never really close. CG dominated BD. Giants went to work in the offseason and this loss helped motivate them to the 2017 finish)

2019-Center Grove 17, Ben Davis 10 (A fun, hard-nosed football game. BD fumbled on the final drive that could have potentially stopped a game-tying TD)

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

2008-Center Grove 49, Ben Davis 21 (A game that was closer than the final indicated. Again, another cold weather game)

2014-Ben Davis 49, Center Grove 45 (Still one of the most unbelievable games I've ever seen. BD had won 28-0 in the regular season)

I have a different memory about 2008.  I remember CG scoring pretty much at will right out of the gate but I could be wrong.

The 2014 game will make me will think of Max Norris's hamstring every time I see him.

16 hours ago, temptation said:

SES

I assume you are referring to BD.  How has their SES changed in 20 years?

2 hours ago, Grover said:

I have a different memory about 2008.  I remember CG scoring pretty much at will right out of the gate but I could be wrong.

The 2014 game will make me will think of Max Norris's hamstring every time I see him.

I assume you are referring to BD.  How has their SES changed in 20 years?

Free and reduced lunch rates have jumped an average of about 2 percent annually in Wayne Township in the last two decades.

The earliest data provided on the DOE website is 2006 and at that time 54 percent of Wayne Township students were on free and reduced lunch.

Fast forward to 2020 and that number is now just over 70 percent (though the district has gone to universal free breakfast and lunch as of last year).

BD will continue to remain competitive at the state level simply because of the fact that they have the second largest talent pool in the state (4500 students) to choose from.

2 hours ago, Grover said:

BD cut the CG lead to 35-21 and nearly recovered an onside kick if I remember. CG added on two TDs later in the 4th.

19 hours ago, DT said:

How did this happen?

🙄

Center Grove is the class of the field, and that doesn't surprise anyone. BD played as hard as they could in the 1st half. They couldn't get started in the third...gave up the football...and the Trojans just ran it right down the Giants throats. Impressive 2nd half. Disappointing loss for Ben Davis, but that's happened to a lot of people this year. Back to the drawing board.

Congratulations to Coach Moore and the Trojans. They'll win it all next week if they stay healthy. 

To Coach Simmons and the Giants, thanks for another exciting turnaround. I'm already looking forward to August!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

Center Grove is the class of the field, and that doesn't surprise anyone. BD played as hard as they could in the 1st half. They couldn't get started in the third...gave up the football...and the Trojans just ran it right down the Giants throats. Impressive 2nd half. Disappointing loss for Ben Davis, but that's happened to a lot of people this year. Back to the drawing board.

Congratulations to Coach Moore and the Trojans. They'll win it all next week if they stay healthy. 

To Coach Simmons and the Giants, thanks for another exciting turnaround. I'm already looking forward to August!

I attended this game tonight as I was fortunate to get a ticket through the online portal.  Sat on the CG side.  Really enjoyed tonight's atmosphere despite the smaller crowd.  BD and CG both brought the energy.

Sad that BD had a bad 3rd quarter because for 24 minutes they did everything necessary to be in position to win.

5 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

I attended this game tonight as I was fortunate to get a ticket through the online portal.  Sat on the CG side.  Really enjoyed tonight's atmosphere despite the smaller crowd.  BD and CG both brought the energy.

Sad that BD had a bad 3rd quarter because for 24 minutes they did everything necessary to be in position to win.

Did BD’s “bad quarter” have anything to do with adjustments their opponent made or are we ignoring that fact?

CG swarmed to the ball and those quick/tunnel screen passes (BD’s bread and butter all night) had no shot in the second half...yet they had no other “go to” calls.

Some people are so quick to discredit the winning team...

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Did BD’s “bad quarter” have anything to do with adjustments their opponent made or are we ignoring that fact?

CG swarmed to the ball and those quick/tunnel screen passes (BD’s bread and butter all night) had no shot in the second half...yet they had no other “go to” calls.

Some people are so quick to discredit the winning team...

I’m not discrediting anything so you should watch your tone.  You can’t deny that BD gave CG excellent field position 4 times in the 3rd.  Goodness, one comment and the free reduced lunch fanboy freaks out.

Good gravy, we can’t just have good, interesting discussion on here for anything

7 minutes ago, Grover said:

CG earned that field position by limiting BD to 9 yards of total offense in the second half.

THANK YOU.  I guess that BD also forced the CG fumble at the mesh point on their second drive...

I will never accept lazy, one sided analysis, so no...we cannot have interesting discussion.

Fundamentally sound teams like CG who are not flashy get no love from some folks on here.  Hence, the reason some folks thought this game was going to be close.  CG may not be explosive compared to other teams but they impose their will and force you into submission.

BD became more and more deflated in their body language with each second half snap last night.  It was a downward spiral they could not stop.

How about we CREDIT CG for BD’s “bad quarter” next time?

Edited by temptation