Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

1A North Semi State: South Adams @ LCC

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

Just looking at 1A alone, you feel playing 1 fewer game is an advantage for LCC, but not Winamac, Parke Heritage, Park Tudor, Indiana Lutheran, Madison-Grant and North Central(Farmersburg)? Your theory doesn't hold water.

Winamac had a bye week round 2. 

I thought that gave them a huge advantage against North Judson. They had 8 days ro prepare for the Jays. 

I think LCC missing the sectional final was really huge for them too. It gave LCC a week to heal some bumps and bruises and another week of extra practice.. To get in better rhythm. 

I think in a way their breaks helped but hurt them too. 

23 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Extra rest equates to a loss of game level conditioning and is a hindrance, rather than a benefit.

LOL...”game level conditioning.”

Guess I’m gonna have to break out my exercise science degree on you fellas here soon.

You are embarrassing yourself...again.

49 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Are you serious?  These are all teams 1A teams, the ones that supposedly benefit the most from byes, that had byes in the post-season, and lost.

The data which, by your own admission you were too lazy to look up, does not support the statement ... especially as it applies to 1A which you specifically claimed it heavily applied to.

Some were heavy underdogs regardless...once again it’s not all or none.

Maybe the games were closer than anticipated and part of that can be attributed to the rest involved?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

Some were heavy underdogs regardless...once again it’s not all or none.

Maybe the games were closer than anticipated and part of that can be attributed to the rest involved?

Yeah, that's it. *smh*

Probably just be easier staying at a Holiday Inn the night before.

• Cov Christian is a 1-point Sagarin favorite over Lutheran.  Lutheran dropped the game by game by 8.  Nothing close or advantageous for Lutheran who had a bye.
  • You could maybe make an argument that Winamac benefited with a bye before they beat North Judson, except said two-week bye advantage, which is actually what you original post was based on, didn't help again LCC.  Matter of fact, LCC is a 5-point differential over Winamac which is exactly what they won by so LCC's break didn't help any and Winamac's two-week break also didn't help.  Maybe the dueling byes, even though one was one-week and one was two-week cancel out.  Then again though, that doesn't match up with the premise that a bye two weeks ago is beneficial.
  • Parke Heritage is an 8-point differential ... they dropped their game by 3.  That might be the closest argument.  5 points
  • Park Tudor is a 36-point differential.  They lost by 32 points. 32 or 36, there's nothing close about that.  Matter of fact, given that Park Tudor picked up 6 in the 4th quarter after going scoreless in the 2nd and 3rd says that the gap would have been wider had it not been for JV play.  Unless you want to argue that the bye the week before gave Park Tudor the extra energy to push forward for that 4th quarter TD.
  •  As with Winamac, you can make an argument that Madison Grant's bye helped them overcome a 2-point differential in a win over Tri-Central by 16.  But again, your initial premise was that a bye two weeks ago gives an advantage.  MG was a 49-point underdog to South Adams.  They lost by 48.  
  • NCF was a 39-point underdog.  Their game after their bye produced a 56-point shutout.

If we are keeping score at home, an argument can be made that 2 teams won games that they were supposed to lose, one closed the gap to 5 points from 8 but still lost, and for five they lost like they were supposed to or worse in those eight games for six teams that @gonzoron pointed out that had byes and are out. Of the ones that had a two-week bye "advantage," Winamac, Madison-Grant, and LCC ... which isn't part of the six above ... LCC is the only one still standing.  And it won its game against Winamac by the same 5 points that it was supposed to.  Winamac lost by the same points they were supposed to and so did Madison Grant.  In essence, having the bye, especially the two-week bye that the initial post pointed to produces not advantage or disadvantage based on the data points. 

23 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Yeah, that's it. *smh*

Probably just be easier staying at a Holiday Inn the night before.

• Cov Christian is a 1-point Sagarin favorite over Lutheran.  Lutheran dropped the game by game by 8.  Nothing close or advantageous for Lutheran who had a bye.
  • You could maybe make an argument that Winamac benefited with a bye before they beat North Judson, except said two-week bye advantage, which is actually what you original post was based on, didn't help again LCC.  Matter of fact, LCC is a 5-point differential over Winamac which is exactly what they won by so LCC's break didn't help any and Winamac's two-week break also didn't help.  Maybe the dueling byes, even though one was one-week and one was two-week cancel out.  Then again though, that doesn't match up with the premise that a bye two weeks ago is beneficial.
  • Parke Heritage is an 8-point differential ... they dropped their game by 3.  That might be the closest argument.  5 points
  • Park Tudor is a 36-point differential.  They lost by 32 points. 32 or 36, there's nothing close about that.  Matter of fact, given that Park Tudor picked up 6 in the 4th quarter after going scoreless in the 2nd and 3rd says that the gap would have been wider had it not been for JV play.  Unless you want to argue that the bye the week before gave Park Tudor the extra energy to push forward for that 4th quarter TD.
  •  As with Winamac, you can make an argument that Madison Grant's bye helped them overcome a 2-point differential in a win over Tri-Central by 16.  But again, your initial premise was that a bye two weeks ago gives an advantage.  MG was a 49-point underdog to South Adams.  They lost by 48.  
  • NCF was a 39-point underdog.  Their game after their bye produced a 56-point shutout.

If we are keeping score at home, an argument can be made that 2 teams won games that they were supposed to lose, one closed the gap to 5 points from 8 but still lost, and for five they lost like they were supposed to or worse in those eight games for six teams that @gonzoron pointed out that had byes and are out. Of the ones that had a two-week bye "advantage," Winamac, Madison-Grant, and LCC ... which isn't part of the six above ... LCC is the only one still standing.  And it won its game against Winamac by the same 5 points that it was supposed to.  Winamac lost by the same points they were supposed to and so did Madison Grant.  In essence, having the bye, especially the two-week bye that the initial post pointed to produces not advantage or disadvantage based on the data points. 

Winamac was a 3 point under dog against lcc.

I can tell you that bye week during week 2 of sectionals definitely helped and I also think lcc not having to play in the sectional final helped them too. There were quite a few cc coaches and players at the winamac game against NJ. They got to see  winamac play live which I think helps more than film. 

Winamac's bye also helped them get a few extra days for NJ.

This temptation guy is a turd. 

If you truly think that not playing is an advantage, you don't know what you're talking about.  You can have injuries in practice, so resting doesn't make a bit of a difference.  Give any coach or player the option of playing a game or resting and taking a week off, and I'd bet no one would want to give up a game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, temptation said:

Side note:  Even though it was out of their control, I think it’s a bit ridiculous that LCC (said the same thing about Zionsville last week) gets to host the semi-state after receiving a bye the previous week.

I think it should be treated as first/second round matchups are when the pairings are released and they should have to travel.

Neutral playoff sites.  Sorry, had to say it.😉

Seriously though, don't know much about LCC other than what I've read here.  However, being an old ACAC boy I've gotta back SA.  They certainly look to have a good shot, and from past years I'll bet LCC makes it a game.

Edited by Bonecrusher

I think this discussion went away from what the initial question was, and how the bye is beneficial to LCC because now they have semi state at home. If they play that game, then semi state is at South Adams. Now, they get handed a sectional title without having to play, and get to host a semi state because of it. In that sense, you can see LCC having a greater benefit from the forfeit. 

21 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

I think this discussion went away from what the initial question was, and how the bye is beneficial to LCC because now they have semi state at home. If they play that game, then semi state is at South Adams. Now, they get handed a sectional title without having to play, and get to host a semi state because of it. In that sense, you can see LCC having a greater benefit from the forfeit. 

Yep.  Spot on.  Yet calling someone who disagrees with you and has a differing opinion than you names is much more fun.

Ah, 2020.

6 hours ago, foxbat said:

LCC played their very first game of post-season at home and has been on the road for the other/last two.  They've played 1 of 3 at home; one-third.  SA has played 2 of 4 at home; half.  The bye from the week before, in conjunction with Winamac's schedule CAUSED LCC to be on the road against Winamac this past weekend as LCC was considered home team in a game that they didn't even get to play.  Even tossing in the bye/forfeit as a win, both teams played half of their games at home.  Based on IHSAA rules even at half, which is actually being applied, LCC would still be home team ... unless it was last year or next year because the idea of lower/upper bracket alternates each year.

20 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

You must have missed @foxbat's explanation above. But your comment should make great bulletin board material.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

If you truly think that not playing is an advantage, you don't know what you're talking about.  You can have injuries in practice, so resting doesn't make a bit of a difference.  Give any coach or player the option of playing a game or resting and taking a week off, and I'd bet no one would want to give up a game.

Guess NFL teams should just start shooting for 9-7 and trying to squeeze into the playoffs then huh?

17 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

That's incorrect. 

Sectionals hosting per IHSAA -

First Round: The second-named team in the blind draw is host school unless the two teams agree to switch the site.
Semifinals: The team without a home game will host. Exception: The bye team will always be the visitor. If both teams were hosts or both were visitors, the second-named team in the quarter bracket will host. In 6A & 5A, in the four team sectionals, the second-named team will host.
Championships: Host team will be the team that has played the most away games. If both teams have played the same number of away games, the bottom bracket team shall host.

• First round - LCC got home for first game because of ping pong balls.
  • Semifinals - LCC plays on the road because Clinton Central played away the first game, so they get to be home because LCC was home the week before.
  • Championships - Trader's Point would have been home team vs. Clinton Prairie in semifinals because both teams were on the road in first round and Trader's Point was the second named team ... the lower bracket team.  Clinton Prairie forfeited due to COVID, giving TPCS a home win in semifinals and since LCC and TPCS both had the same number of away games, TPCS was given home field advantage for the championship game.  As such, LCC would have been the visiting team.  LCC defeats TPCS when TPCS forfeits due to COVID.

Regionals hosting per IHSAA -

Classes A, 3A & 5A
Sectional final game non-host, if applicable, or lower sectional # (i.e., Sect. 1 is lower than Sect. 2).

• LCC was non-host in the sectional final game.  Whether they played or not, they would have still been the non-host and winner to have reached regionals. 
  • Winamac was also the non-host for the Sectional Championship game.  LCC has the disadvantage here because Section 41, Winamac's section, is lower than LCC's section, 42, ... Winamac gets the host position due to the fact that they have the lower section.

Classes A, 3A & 5A
*Regional non-host, if applicable, or higher sectional # (i.e., Sect. 2 is higher than Sect. 1).

*If regional winner has not hosted either sectional final or regional, that school will be the designated host.

• LCC was regional non-host.
  • South Adams was also non-host.
  • However, South Adams hosted a sectional final whereas LCC was scheduled to be away for the sectional.  By the last decider, "If regional winner has not hosted either sectional final or regional, that school will be the designated host," LCC serves as host.  

The only way that South Adams would serve as host is if you altered LCC's away game with TPCS and not only gave the a win, but also changed the bracket and made them home.  In that case, South Adams would be home for semi-state because they are Sectional 43, the higher section number, and LCC is sectional 42.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, foxbat said:

That's incorrect. 

Sectionals hosting per IHSAA -

First Round: The second-named team in the blind draw is host school unless the two teams agree to switch the site.
Semifinals: The team without a home game will host. Exception: The bye team will always be the visitor. If both teams were hosts or both were visitors, the second-named team in the quarter bracket will host. In 6A & 5A, in the four team sectionals, the second-named team will host.
Championships: Host team will be the team that has played the most away games. If both teams have played the same number of away games, the bottom bracket team shall host.

• First round - LCC got home for first game because of ping pong balls.
  • Semifinals - LCC plays on the road because Clinton Central played away the first game, so they get to be home because LCC was home the week before.
  • Championships - Trader's Point would have been home team vs. Clinton Prairie in semifinals because both teams were on the road in first round and Trader's Point was the second named team ... the lower bracket team.  Clinton Prairie forfeited due to COVID, giving TPCS a home win in semifinals and since LCC and TPCS both had the same number of away games, TPCS was given home field advantage for the championship game.  As such, LCC would have been the visiting team.  LCC defeats TPCS when TPCS forfeits due to COVID.

Regionals hosting per IHSAA -

Classes A, 3A & 5A
Sectional final game non-host, if applicable, or lower sectional # (i.e., Sect. 1 is lower than Sect. 2).

• LCC was non-host in the sectional final game.  Whether they played or not, they would have still been the non-host and winner to have reached regionals. 
  • Winamac was also the non-host for the Sectional Championship game.  LCC has the disadvantage here because Section 41, Winamac's section, is lower than LCC's section, 42, ... Winamac gets the host position due to the fact that they have the lower section.

Edit: [Semi-finals hosting per IHSAA - ]

Classes A, 3A & 5A
*Regional non-host, if applicable, or higher sectional # (i.e., Sect. 2 is higher than Sect. 1).

*If regional winner has not hosted either sectional final or regional, that school will be the designated host.

• LCC was regional non-host.
  • South Adams was also non-host.
  • However, South Adams hosted a sectional final whereas LCC was scheduled to be away for the sectional.  By the last decider, "If regional winner has not hosted either sectional final or regional, that school will be the designated host," LCC serves as host.  

The only way that South Adams would serve as host is if you altered LCC's away game with TPCS and not only gave the a win, but also changed the bracket and made them home.  In that case, South Adams would be home for semi-state because they are Sectional 43, the higher section number, and LCC is sectional 42.

30 minutes ago, Antonio Browns Alter Ego said:

What’s the fan situation for LCC at semi state? What kind of restrictions are they having for home and away fans 

I've not heard anything on that end, but I know that Tippecanoe County is having a spike in COVID cases.  Purdue will be emptying out soon, but not until Thanksgiving.

2 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

Just my opinion. 

Im glad the Winamac kids didn't have to play SN week 2. 

You could have brought our JV in and nothing changes. I would have rather had 8 days to prepare for NJ rather then 4. Just my thought. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, temptation said:

Guess NFL teams should just start shooting for 9-7 and trying to squeeze into the playoffs then huh?

So you're comparing a 1A football team to a an NFL team. You're clueless.

Having seen what happens with high school teams and bye weeks constantly this season. It is a hinderance for high school players, they don't have a paycheck coming in based on their weekly performance so it is difficult to keep 14-18 years wholly focused on the season. Especially when you aren't allowed to practice for two weeks. LCC will make a lot of mid season mistakes like they have every Friday this season because they have about half the amount of reps during practice this season than SA. That can come into play in a big way. Having scouted SA last season when they lose to AC. They are the real deal and going into this season I've though they were the favorite since they returned just about everyone. Their QB, top WR, and TE are all fantastic athletes who you can tell have put in a lot of work to master their craft. LCC is not the same team they were last year. There is so much inexperience out there and the lack of practice time has hurt that youth's development throughout the season. 

Harrels predicts SA 52 LCC 10. I don't know that it'll be that bad, but LCC has a lot of work to do this week to make a game of it. 

South Adams (12-0) at Lafayette Central Catholic (5-3)
GAME TIME: 7 pm ET, LaRocca Field.
COACHES: Grant Moser, 47-21 in 6th year at South Adams. Brian Nay, 22-13 in 3rd year at Central Catholic.
SAGARIN RATINGS: South Adams, 74.83, 42nd overall, 1st in 1A. Central Catholic, 41.84, 180th overall, 15th in 1A.
LAST OUTING: South Adams defeated Southwood, 48-35. Central Catholic defeated Winamac, 37-32.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: South Adams 57-60. Central Catholic 44-37.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: No meetings.
jh PREDICTION: South Adams, 52-10.
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

I think LCC missing the sectional final was really huge for them too. It gave LCC a week to heal some bumps and bruises and another week of extra practice.. To get in better rhythm. 

LCC didn't really have any major bumps and bruises to heal ... at least any that were consequential.  As for another week to practice and get in better rhythm, they would have had that with or without a bye ... assuming that they won the game.  And if they didn't win, then they basically had the entire off-season to get in better rhythm.

Frankly, and I'm not trying to speak for LCC here, but if they had to have a bye in one of the three games for the sectionals, TPCS isn't the opponent that I would say provides the most "benefit" to miss.  Not a knock against Frontier and Clinton Central, but they are very familiar foes to LCC over the years.  When you get to post-season the undoing of many teams is seeing stuff that they haven't seen.  One of the benefits that LCC has of being in the Hoosier Conference as well as the, usual opening games against the likes of Guerin and Tri-West, is the ability to see LOTS of different schemes offensively and defensively.  LCC saw TPCS for the first time last season in a tightly-contested game ... at least through the first half ... where TPCS took a one-point lead into the locker room at the half.  TPCS is not the same team this year as last year and TPCS lost to Frontier earlier in the season; however, I think LCC would have benefited from seeing TPCS live in a game beyond any "benefit" they may have gotten by sitting idle.  Having coached just about every one of those kids I can pretty much tell you that none of them was happy about getting that bye and were probably antsy as all heck on that night wishing that they could have been on the field playing someone.  Again, recall, this is a team that had to sit idle the first two weeks of the season while the rest of the state started playing, missed their rivalry game, finally started their season, then had to stop it again, then started it again, and then stalled it again with a bye.  We're finally at semi-state and LCC still hasn't played a full season yet.

1 hour ago, LCCAlum said:

Having seen what happens with high school teams and bye weeks constantly this season. It is a hinderance for high school players, they don't have a paycheck coming in based on their weekly performance so it is difficult to keep 14-18 years wholly focused on the season. Especially when you aren't allowed to practice for two weeks. LCC will make a lot of mid season mistakes like they have every Friday this season because they have about half the amount of reps during practice this season than SA. That can come into play in a big way. Having scouted SA last season when they lose to AC. They are the real deal and going into this season I've though they were the favorite since they returned just about everyone. Their QB, top WR, and TE are all fantastic athletes who you can tell have put in a lot of work to master their craft. LCC is not the same team they were last year. There is so much inexperience out there and the lack of practice time has hurt that youth's development throughout the season. 

Harrels predicts SA 52 LCC 10. I don't know that it'll be that bad, but LCC has a lot of work to do this week to make a game of it. 

COACHES: Grant Moser, 47-21 in 6th year at South Adams. Brian Nay, 22-13 in 3rd year at Central Catholic.
SAGARIN RATINGS: South Adams, 74.83, 42nd overall, 1st in 1A. Central Catholic, 41.84, 180th overall, 15th in 1A.
LAST OUTING: South Adams defeated Southwood, 48-35. Central Catholic defeated Winamac, 37-32.

Ive seen both teams play. 

South Adams I believe has more weapons.

#26 Summersett is a stud running the ball and #3 Stutzman, #7 Wanner, #15 Miller, #8 Shoch and #2 Bixler are stud receivers. 

Munn and Dienhart are really good receivers.. Smith is a decent back but I really like SA's skilled guys more. 

Defensively

Miller, #1 Davidson, Wanner, #57 Gorney and #55 Plattner are studs. 

I'm not sure how many SA guys go both ways and I don't recall how many LCC has. 

South Adams' Oline is gonna have to continue to give Arnold time and LCC's Dline is gonna have to get pressure, i'm not sure if CC's secondary can keep the skilled guys of South Adams at bay and idk how LCC's line is gonna hold up against SA. Winamac's d line batted a few balls down and did get some sacks and hurries. 

I think Barrett is a great QB and mostly definitely can hold his own against Arnold.. Arnold is prob quicker and has way more skilled guys. 

I think SA will win but wouldn't shock me if CC wins. 

Edited by TheStatGuy

High school example:

6A Warren quarantines in week 1 and gets two weeks to prepare for CG.  Loses 20-0 but plays CG arguably tougher than anyone else this season.

Same Warren team gets two weeks off prior to the start of the sectional...avenges regular season losses to North Central and Lawrence North, while playing its best football of the season in winning its sectional.

For every example you cite, I can find an opposing one.  You'll certainly now move the goal posts from "You can't compare the NFL, to you can't compare 6A to 1A."

NO ONE is feeling sorry for poor LCC for having had to sit a week at home...trust me.

Edited by temptation

28 minutes ago, temptation said:

High school example:

6A Warren quarantines in week 1 and gets two weeks to prepare for CG.  Loses 20-0 but plays CG arguably tougher than anyone else this season.

Same Warren team gets two weeks off prior to the start of the sectional...avenges regular season losses to North Central and Lawrence North, while playing its best football of the season in winning its sectional.

For every example you cite, I can find an opposing one.  You'll certainly now move the goal posts from "You can't compare the NFL, to you can't compare 6A to 1A."

NO ONE is feeling sorry for poor LCC for having had to sit a week at home...trust me.

Is someone asking anyone to feel sorry for LCC? Your "unbiased" opinion around here is that LCC shouldn't get a home game because they had a bye two weeks ago. So stop feeling sorry for South Adams because they have to get on a bus for 2 hours to go play on a arguably one of the best grass football fields in the state in 60 degree weather. Seems like great evening for the 42 point favorite Starfires.

I hav never seen the Knights a 42pt dog in a semi state game... or any post season game...  SA is likly too much for even the sacred soil of LaRocca field 2 overcome.... but it cant hurt......

I’m an SA alum and have former teammates that are the current coaches.  SA is the real deal.  To have the athletes they do on this team, coming from a small rural community is very rare.  But they aren’t unbeatable.

Strengths:

SIZE!  Arnold (QB) is 6-3, 210.  Miller (TE/DE) is 6-4 240.  WRs Stutzman and Wanner are both 6-2 and around 180.  And they are all fast.

Seniors...they have 16 of them and many have started 3-4 seasons.  

Weaknesses

ACAC conference was terrible again this year.  Other than SA, AC, and perhaps Bluffton...all were awful to be honest.  But doesn’t take away from SA’s talent.

Penalties!  Against AC, where they won 29-9, SA committed 16 penalties.  Mostly false starts and holding.  

I’m very nervous for this game though.  This is probably our last legit shot at a state title for a long time.  LCC seems like they have the tools to win this game.  Just hoping the Starfires come out victorious!  Good luck to both teams!