Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NWI Semi-States

Westfield @ Merrillville

Merrillville struggled to beat Elkhart. Gimme the Rocks.

Valpo @ Zionsville

Burbee is a beast RB for Valpo, but they’re probably too 1 dimensional to beat Zionsville. Hope I’m wrong. No matter who wins, they’re sacrificial lambs for Cathedral.

Marion @ Hobart

Honestly, feel like the Region can very easily go 0-3 this Friday. Hobart was not overly impressive beating Lowell or Logan. Don’t get me wrong, I’m rooting for the Bricks and I’ll pick them to win, but I really would not be shocked to see the Giants playing at LOS. Hobart has to fight the demons of post-Coach Howell dissapointments and choking away last year’s semi-state loss to East Noble. It’d be cool to see this historically great program get back to the mountaintop.

11 minutes ago, region said:

Marion @ Hobart

Resident Giants fan here lol. This is the first game that the Giants have had this postseason that has me nervous. I'll admit that I don't know much about Hobart, but the little bit that I did watch of them against Lowell and Logan, they seemed big for sure. Throw in the long bus ride and I can see this being the game where the Giants run out of steam. I hope not obviously, but im sure it'll be good either way.

30 minutes ago, region said:

Westfield @ Merrillville

Valpo @ Zionsville

Burbee is a beast RB for Valpo, but they’re probably too 1 dimensional to beat Zionsville. Hope I’m wrong. No matter who wins, they’re sacrificial lambs for Cathedral.

Marion @ Hobart

Honestly, feel like the Region can very easily go 0-3 this Friday. Hobart was not overly impressive beating Lowell or Logan. Don’t get me wrong, I’m rooting for the Bricks and I’ll pick them to win, but I really would not be shocked to see the Giants playing at LOS. Hobart has to fight the demons of post-Coach Howell dissapointments and choking away last year’s semi-state loss to East Noble. It’d be cool to see this historically great program get back to the mountaintop.

Agree with a lot of what was said here. John Harrell predicts Merrillville-Westfield at 38-17. I think it’ll be closer than this, but I too think Westfield wins. Valpo’s defense has been their saving grace this season, if Zionsville can’t contain Jones and Dingman on the edges, Valpo may be able to ride Burbee to a grinding victory, like they have most of the season. But with Cathedral waiting, maybe it’s a better thing if they don’t win. As for Hobart, I still think they have to be favored this week, but you’re totally correct, a few weeks ago, I would’ve said Hobart was the favorite to represent 4A North at LOS. But these past two weeks, specifically the game against Lowell, have me doubting this team. Marion also seems to be rolling right now. Hobart will need to play much better this week. 

Edited by scarab527

27 minutes ago, region said:

Westfield @ Merrillville

Valpo @ Zionsville

Marion @ Hobart

I cant begin to tell you how many times over the past 3 decades I would wake up on Sunday and read the morning paper and find out that The Region had lost all of its semi state games.  Of course this was pre internet days when we did not get any Saturday news.  

I have that same feeling going into this weekend.

I hope Im wrong.  Id really love to see Center grove square off against a Region team, even though its a mismatch on paper.  Hopefully MV will utilize its home field advantage and take out this pesky Westfield team.

Valpo should beat Zionsville,  They have better players than the Eagles.  This one is a real toss up.

The fact that Hobart and Marion are playing for the North semi state championship tells me that 4A is the weakest class in the state.  

3 minutes ago, DT said:

The fact that Hobart and Marion are playing for the North semi state championship tells me that 4A is the weakest class in the state.  

Was actually just thinking about this today. I’d say 4A South has some very good teams this year, but the North is weaker than 3A North and arguably 2A North as well, as Marion lost by 3 TDs to an Eastbrook team that couldn’t make it out of a 2A sectional and Hobart lost by 11 to an Andrean team that only made it to regionals. Other posters have commented on how the SF “hollowed out” 4A, and this year, specifically in the North, that seems to be the case. 

1 hour ago, GFND74 said:

Resident Giants fan here lol. This is the first game that the Giants have had this postseason that has me nervous. I'll admit that I don't know much about Hobart, but the little bit that I did watch of them against Lowell and Logan, they seemed big for sure. Throw in the long bus ride and I can see this being the game where the Giants run out of steam. I hope not obviously, but im sure it'll be good either way.

Hobart is not a come-from-behind team...but they arent behind much. Very experienced defensively and a strong pass rush team.

The Giants look fast. They need big plays and a turnover or two.

You'll like the stadium. Big visitors grandstand,.

Had Marion/East Noble this past week.  

Honest surprised at Marion's dedication to what they did best....RUN THE ROCK!   A hard hitting contest that was a nail-biting game.  No idea of which Purple team will come out the victor, but this should be a close Semi-State.

A play here or there, and EN could have prevailed.  

As a fan, please understand that some of the rules that you see on Saturday and Sunday are NOT the rules applies to NFHS games played at the HS level.  

Enjoy the 12 contests this coming weekend, and understand that the officials who were selected to officiate these contests also feel honored to be participants in the tournament as much as the teams that are on the field.  

Just my 2 cents!  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scarab527 said:

Agree with a lot of what was said here. John Harrell predicts Merrillville-Westfield at 38-17. I think it’ll be closer than this, but I too think Westfield wins. Valpo’s defense has been their saving grace this season, if Zionsville can’t contain Jones and Dingman on the edges, Valpo may be able to ride Burbee to a grinding victory, like they have most of the season. But with Cathedral waiting, maybe it’s a better thing if they don’t win. As for Hobart, I still think they have to be favored this week, but you’re totally correct, a few weeks ago, I would’ve said Hobart was the favorite to represent 4A North at LOS. But these past two weeks, specifically the game against Lowell, have me doubting this team. Marion also seems to be rolling right now. Hobart will need to play much better this week. 

scarab

What do you mean John Harrell predicts Merrillville-Westfield at 38-17. ?   

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

scarab

What do you mean John Harrell predicts Merrillville-Westfield at 38-17. ?   

This game is my biggest question mark.  Although they absolutely dominated Lafayette Jeff (who played a relatively weak schedule), the game with Elkhart (whose schedule was a little tougher) was a nail-biter.  Now comes Westfield whose schedule was probably even tougher.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, region said:

Westfield @ Merrillville

Valpo @ Zionsville

Marion @ Hobart

I like Hobart by 7-10, Valpo is in a pick em with Zionsville and Westfield by 17-21.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I'd be curious if anyone who has actually seen Westfield thinks they'll beat Merrillville by 21.

Yes.

9 minutes ago, Gipper said:

This game is my biggest question mark.  Although they absolutely dominated Lafayette Jeff (who played a relatively weak schedule), the game with Elkhart (whose schedule was a little tougher) was a nail-biter.  Now comes Westfield whose schedule was probably even tougher.

There is no comparison between Elkhart and Westfield’s schedule.  Night and day.

Edited by temptation

14 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Westfield also just routed what was likely the SAC’s best team, Homestead. As a huge region homer I’d love to see the Pirates pull this one out but I highly doubt they can. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I'd be curious if anyone who has actually seen Westfield thinks they'll beat Merrillville by 21.

If this was @ Westfield I’d say 28 because they are that good on both sides of the ball. But @ Merrillville I think maybe the Pirates get a late score for a 14-point margin. 9 points allowed in the post season. Rocks will be in the dome vs CG.

Westfield @ Merrillville

I would give Merrillville a fighting chance, if it wasn't for the Chatard game. Therefore, Shamrocks 42 -21. 

Valpo @ Zionsville

An impressive Valpo running game vs a Zionsville D that has looked stout vs Dwenger & Harrison. I think the Eagles squeeze out another close one. Eagles 21-17

Marion @ Hobart

I'll be glad to see either one of these teams make it to L.O.S. Marion came up a game short in 2018, I think they get over the hump. Marion 28-21

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gipper said:

Common opponent: Harrison.  Jeff beat them by a 76-57 point score while Westfield beat them 34-10.

Of note, that was Westfield's second game of the season. Maximus Webster was still the second string QB. Like the first game against Cathedral, he did see some playing time off of the bench. This kid has been exceptional since earning the starting job. Also of note, in the next game, against Zionsville, Westfield won 49-16,  up 42-0 at the half, with a running clock the entire second half. 

1 hour ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Of note, that was Westfield's second game of the season. Maximus Webster was still the second string QB. Like the first game against Cathedral, he did see some playing time off of the bench. This kid has been exceptional since earning the starting job. Also of note, in the next game, against Zionsville, Westfield won 49-16,  up 42-0 at the half, with a running clock the entire second half. 

If Westfield played Bishop Chatard, who would win?

15 hours ago, temptation said:

I like Hobart by 7-10, Valpo is in a pick em with Zionsville and Westfield by 17-21.

Yes.

There is no comparison between Elkhart and Westfield’s schedule.  Night and day.

But Temp;

Arent there six sub .500 teams on Westfield's schedule?   (count Noblesville (2-8) and Fishers (3-8) twice each)  17 to 21 points.....really.  Why is Westfield so good? 

13 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

If Westfield played Bishop Chatard, who would win?

I've wondered that myself. Since not much travel would be involved as was the case with Merrillville traveling to Indy, I would say Westfield should win. i'm assuming that Chatard has a much smaller roster, and Westfield would eventually wear them down. But again, Merrillville never was able to do that. 

34 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

But Temp;

Arent there six sub .500 teams on Westfield's schedule?   (count Noblesville (2-8) and Fishers (3-8) twice each)  17 to 21 points.....really.  Why is Westfield so good? 

HCC records are deceiving my man.  They have also played Cathedral (#1 in 5A), Brownsburg (top 3 team in 6A all year) and Zionsville (5A semi-state team playing this weekend).  They went 2-1 in those games.

You already knew that though.  Wins in the HCC are hard to come by.

21 minutes ago, WestfieldRocks said:

I've wondered that myself. Since not much travel would be involved as was the case with Merrillville traveling to Indy, I would say Westfield should win. i'm assuming that Chatard has a much smaller roster, and Westfield would eventually wear them down. But again, Merrillville never was able to do that. 

Merrillville was up 14-0 on Elkhart but, after that, they just survived.....and, to me, it wasnt so much that the Pirates lost to Chatard. it was the 550 yards Chatard rolled up..

The Shamrocks (incidently, why Shamrocks?)  stomping Homestead was impressive....but Merrillville is very balanced on offense..and nobody's really shut them down.

6A is the major leagues..and Westfield's played almost all 6As