Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

3A South Semi State - Danville @ Southridge

4 minutes ago, jets said:

This was debated/confirmed last week from the IDOE website that the current enrollment would IN FACT have SR in 2A. Usually we hover around the cut-off mark in that regard. 

I don't believe it's out of line to point out the fact a 2A enrollment school is having success in the 3A tournament (and it's also natural to wonder "what-if" ) . I think it's a pretty cool accomplishment. 

Danville is good, no doubt about it. 

Saying it once is pointing it out. Saying it in every thread, and sometimes multiple times, a different story. If it was a trailblazing event, then sure it's newsworthy. It's happened many times before by many other schools. School enrollment number is not an all-determining factor for how good your football team is or can be.  Just ask Cathedral, New Pal, Memorial, Pioneer to name a few. I'm pretty sure Cathedral was playing up 2 classes for a while. Every year teams go up and down.

We get it. You're very proud of your team.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jets said:

This was debated/confirmed last week from the IDOE website that the current enrollment would IN FACT have SR in 2A. Usually we hover around the cut-off mark in that regard. 

I don't believe it's out of line to point out the fact a 2A enrollment school is having success in the 3A tournament (and it's also natural to wonder "what-if" ) . I think it's a pretty cool accomplishment. 

This was exactly my point.  SR would be by enrollment the smallest 3A school but like the 7th largest 2A school. I said earlier that the Ridge is practically  there by enrollment already.  So this isn't some David versus Goliath phenomenon!!!  Fact is this:  Southridge is a good program, have been for sometime.  You all need to join the big school division in the conference!!  You all need to show up Friday a nd represent the PAC and beat Danville!!  Then you get the honor of Chatard at LOS..................I'll simply say good luck with that one!! 

18 minutes ago, South Paw said:

I'm pretty sure Cathedral was playing up 2 classes for a while. Every year teams go up and down.

Cathedral was playing up 2 classes in 6A a few short years ago.  Currently, Columbus East is playing up 2 classes in 6A.

They (Columbus East) had the good fortune of being on the receiving end of another Center Grove beat down a couple of weeks ago (Center Grove has been passing them out equally to most everyone) and took it with aplomb and grace.

56 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

Then you get the honor of Chatard at LOS..................I'll simply say good luck with that one!! 

I don't think Chatard looks unbeatable this year.  I haven't seen Danville since 2017, but having seen Southridge last week, I would not consider them to be huge underdogs at LOS.          

2 hours ago, jets said:

Whats the point of even bringing this up??  Do you not want your team to compete at the higher level??  It comes off like some sort of search for an excuse, which is very odd since the way Southridge has been playing this year no excuses are necessary.

Edited by TommyTwoTimes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tango said:

I don't think Chatard looks unbeatable this year.  I haven't seen Danville since 2017, but having seen Southridge last week, I would not consider them to be huge underdogs at LOS.          

Maybe they aren't the Chatard of 2019 but.......................the fact that they played Cathedral and scored 20 is enough for me!! Whomever plays Chatard at LOS Good Luck!!!

25 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

Maybe they aren't the Chatard of 2019 but.......................the fact that they played Cathedral and scored 20 is enough for me!! Whomever plays Chatard at LOS Good Luck!!!

We can have all the Chatard talk we want next week IF they win this week. 

I love this matchup between two solid programs.  Is Southridge too one dimensional?  They have THREE 1000 yd rushers, so why throw the ball?  I don't follow SR, but have they trailed in a game this season?

1 minute ago, 2017statechamps said:

Yes, the Raiders have trailed this season, but it did not last long.  A quick stat check shows 900+ passing yards and 17 tds this season.

619 of that is from one guy, Mr. Gasser, who also has 1031 rushing yards.  They are only completing 42% of their passes, which leads me to believe that the pass is a home run play for them given they have 17 TDs on 47 completions.  Which is why I posed the question: Are they too one dimensional?

1 minute ago, Knightmare said:

619 of that is from one guy, Mr. Gasser, who also has 1031 rushing yards.  They are only completing 42% of their passes, which leads me to believe that the pass is a home run play for them given they have 17 TDs on 47 completions.  Which is why I posed the question: Are they too one dimensional?

In a "where is Waldo" shot gun wing T offense, it is easy for defenders to get very caught up in being locked into their run keys.  This makes the surprise homerun pass very effective.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Patriot 74 said:

In 2018 Chatard beat Cathedral 17-14, but lost in Semi-State 42-17.    

15 hours ago, Knightmare said:

I think when you look at this team, SR, THREE 1000 yard rusher does not make them one dimensional, it makes them very diverse in the running game.  To compare if I could to last year: HH had two 1000 yard rushers a handful of others that rushed for 250-700, and a QB that threw it very similar to the SR QB (# of TDs are quite different) HH handled Danville because they did what they did, ran the ball and played solid defense.  SR has an additional 1000 yard guy.  My thoughts are this, run the ball, play solid defense and the outcome very well could be the same, a trip to LOS.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

I think when you look at this team, SR, THREE 1000 yard rusher does not make them one dimensional, it makes them very diverse in the running game.  To compare if I could to last year: HH had two 1000 yard rushers a handful of others that rushed for 250-700, and a QB that threw it very similar to the SR QB (# of TDs are quite different) HH handled Danville because they did what they did, ran the ball and played solid defense.  SR has an additional 1000 yard guy.  My thoughts are this, run the ball, play solid defense and the outcome very well could be the same, a trip to LOS.  

What did Gibson Southern and Tell City do that was so successful against SR?  I see that those were the closest game of the year for SR so far.

2 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

i am not sure what you mean with that response?  I just mean Marian is a really good football team, and that might be one of the best games of the week.

I Have not seen Marian this year, so to all of us thinking it is a forgone conclusion that the other team will win, we better hedge our bets. Thanks for the heads up. 

1 hour ago, Patriot 74 said:

No offense my Patriot friend...but this QB throws WAY better than the one at HH last year.  They both are great runners but one (SR) is about Power and the other (HH) was about quickness and elusiveness.

20 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

What did Gibson Southern and Tell City do that was so successful against SR?  I see that those were the closest game of the year for SR so far.

Bring a good run defense that understands through familiarity what they are going to see.  It's tough when you don't deal with it on a regular basis and even then it provides many challenges particular when there are some athletic kids in the mix.

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Bring a good run defense that understands through familiarity what they are going to see.  It's tough when you don't deal with it on a regular basis and even then it provides many challenges particular when there are some athletic kids in the mix.

Well said.  Unfamiliarity of the opponents with their system is a big reason why I think Southridge has a good chance to join the club of winning state after being bumped up due to success factor.   

52 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

No offense my Patriot friend...but this QB throws WAY better than the one at HH last year.  They both are great runners but one (SR) is about Power and the other (HH) was about quickness and elusiveness.

You know I couldn't say anything bad about our QB ha, with that said I was simply meaning statistically they are comparable except for the TDs.  Also would like to add that the QB for SR could be the X factor Friday.  He is a LB that plays the QB position.  It is my opinion that he could simply "will' this team to victory with his tenacity and tough play.  One helluva a leader!!

40 minutes ago, tango said:

Well said.  Unfamiliarity of the opponents with their system is a big reason why I think Southridge has a good chance to join the club of winning state after being bumped up due to success factor.   

I believe that this was especially evident last week.  One team looked amazingly comfortable running up and down the field, while the other simply looked lost at times.  

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Definitely agree that familiarity plays a factor in the 2nd meeting with GS being close.

58 minutes ago, Patriot 74 said:

Also would like to add that the QB for SR could be the X factor Friday.  He is a LB that plays the QB position.  It is my opinion that he could simply "will' this team to victory with his tenacity and tough play.  One helluva a leader!!

I agree, but his arm will have to be the difference.  I don't think SR can push Danville around up front, which is something HH did last year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

I agree, but his arm will have to be the difference.  I don't think SR can push Danville around up front, which is something HH did last year.

Agree 100%, his arm will definitely be important in this one, and that could just be one or two big hitters that keeps Danville honest.  Last year HH use size and strength to push Danville around, this year SR will use speed, and constant misdirection against Danville!!  Gonna be a good one. 

3 hours ago, Titan32 said:

That and pray for turnovers.  Weren't turnovers a big factor in keeping it close in the the second GS and Tell City game?

Edited by TommyTwoTimes