Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

3A North Semi State: #1 Bishop Chatard @ #2 Mishawaka Marian

16 hours ago, Lysander said:

Arguably, the battle for the “Best Team” (All Classes) in the North is between Chatard v Marian and Merrillville v. Westfield (assuming 6A is the direct measuring stick)  -  truth be told.

If Merrillville (whom Chatard made relatively short work of) somehow defeats Westfield (or somehow plays closer than they did against Chatard) then just who is the best team All Classes in the North?

If Marian beats Chatard in this scenario - which ABSOLUTELY could happen, then is Marian the best team in the North? 

I consider the Marian/Chatard game to actually favor Marian.  Long drive, cold night, another away game for Chatard....2 years in a row.  Great Marian team.

I admit to using the transitive value but that is, ultimately, what analytics do X 100.

Agree that Chatard will be the best team MM has seen all year.  Mishawaka game 1 is really the only other team worth mentioning.  Seen Penn on film... nope.  

But honestly Concordia isn’t a great team but hung with Chatard.

Chatard 24-21.  Boys from the south will have a good shot at LOS

What a great game.  Looked like Marian took a few series to understand the speed of Chatard, as the Knights have not played anyone of the caliber of Chatard this season.  But Marian certainly made it a fantastic finish.  The second half was just battling back and forth, but the Knights just couldn't get ahead.  Proud of the effort our boys gave - heartbreaking finish for the Knights.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Knight82 said:

What a great game.  Looked like Marian took a few series to understand the speed of Chatard, as the Knights have not played anyone of the caliber of Chatard this season.  But Marian certainly made it a fantastic finish.  The second half was just battling back and forth, but the Knights just couldn't get ahead.  Proud of the effort our boys gave - heartbreaking finish for the Knights.

Classic game.  Marian is a helluva team.  My wife literally couldn't watch the game. 

Kudos to Marian.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lysander said:

Classic game.  Marian is a helluva team. 

I'd like to second this - great game Marian, you guys played your hearts out.

Chatard better figure out a way to clean up some of the sloppy play or it will be a rough game next week.  Danville is a VERY good team.

I mentioned this elsewhere but will repeat it.  

The WHME-46 team that did the game last night are THE BEST.  

I’ve watched a lot of HS football over the years from all over the state but, outside of the State Championship productions, no one does nearly as great a job broadcasting HS football as the WHME-46 team.  A really professional broadcast.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lysander said:

I’ve watched a lot of HS football over the years from all over the state but, outside of the State Championship productions, no one does nearly as great a job broadcasting HS football as the WHME-46 team.  A really professional broadcast.

Got to know Bob Nagle and Chuck Freeby a little bit, having done so many games in the South Bend area over the years. They had the final game of my career, and afterward I got a nice note from them and a DVD of the game. Great people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lysander said:

Chuck Freeby is a GREAT man.

Sorry.  I do not know who his partner in the booth is.

25 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Got to know Bob Nagle and Chuck Freeby a little bit, having done so many games in the South Bend area over the years. They had the final game of my career, and afterward I got a nice note from them and a DVD of the game. Great people.

Thank you Bob.  I couldn't think of Bob's name.  They do such a great job.

26 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Chuck told me, he got you a seeing eye dog.  I jest.  I jest.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Foul, or no?

I would’ve tossed it too. Very tough, split second call. 

White hat and LJ did an excellent job. As I am sure the BJ was on the hop there too. 

GREAT crew officiated a great game w 2 great teams. 

18 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Foul, or no?
IMG_5838.mov

No. 😂 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Foul, or no?

IMG_0540.mov

I knew what play you were referencing before I even linked to it.  It was actually Chatard's only penalty of the game, I believe.

No foul (at least in my viewing) but I had to replay it to catch it so I absolutely understand why the flag was thrown.

Ironically, knowing how the kid plays, I was surprised that it was him....then upon rewatching it I realized he didn't - he was pushed.

That was the same crew as last year and I thought they did a great job both years.  Fortunately, the call ended up having no effect on the game.

53 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I knew what play you were referencing before I even linked to it.  It was actually Chatard's only penalty of the game, I believe.

No foul (at least in my viewing) but I had to replay it to catch it so I absolutely understand why the flag was thrown.

Ironically, knowing how the kid plays, I was surprised that it was him....then upon rewatching it I realized he didn't - he was pushed.

That was the same crew as last year and I thought they did a great job both years.  Fortunately, the call ended up having no effect on the game.

I agree, it’s not a foul. And this is a very good (Region) crew. It’s the crew I spent my last season on the field with. They have the 6A game Friday. 

From my standpoint, this is a very interesting play for training purposes. The question is “what could the crew have done differently to have a better chance of getting this unusual play right?” That discussion could last quite a while.