Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Post Season Conference Analysis - Trending Up /Trending Down

Guest DT

1 minute ago, DT said:

As this area becomes more affluent, it also becomes more enamored with the lake life style, RVs and traveling, and general leisure.  Hard core activities like football, hunting ice fishing are becoming passe'   They take too much time and effort.  

There is some truth to that statement, Bremen kids are not as rough neck and rugged as they were in the past. I've heard Jimtown folks say the same in conversations. We need more farm stock and less Eddie Bauer stock.

11 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

There is some truth to that statement, Bremen kids are not as rough neck and rugged as they were in the past. I've heard Jimtown folks say the same in conversations. We need more farm stock and less Eddie Bauer stock.

I've heard the same thing said by Saint Joseph fans.  There used to be many 1st and 2nd generation  Polish kids who loved to compete for Saint Joseph and were tough hard-nosed kids.  Now there are to many players @ Saint Joseph who have direct connections to Notre Dame and they and their parents think they're good football player  because they are connected to ND but are really soft.

32 minutes ago, johnny U said:

I've heard the same thing said by Saint Joseph fans.  There used to be many 1st and 2nd generation  Polish kids who loved to compete for Saint Joseph and were tough hard-nosed kids.  Now there are to many players @ Saint Joseph who have direct connections to Notre Dame and they and their parents think they're good football player  because they are connected to ND but are really soft.

Yes the days of the tough Polish and Hungarian kids are gone.  With no ICCL football this year, the cupboard will be even barer.  With open enrollment in Catholic schools, Marian seems to be the choice in football lately.

South Bend teams are more focused on the "City" Championship than Conference titles.  I don't think a South Bend school has beaten Penn since 1985.  Can't remember when they beat Mishawaka either.

5 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Yes the days of the tough Polish and Hungarian kids are gone.  With no ICCL football this year, the cupboard will be even barer.  With open enrollment in Catholic schools, Marian seems to be the choice in football lately.

South Bend teams are more focused on the "City" Championship than Conference titles.  I don't think a South Bend school has beaten Penn since 1985.  Can't remember when they beat Mishawaka either.

It was just 9 years ago when St. Joe played in 2 State Championships in a row (2010 and 2011).  When they moved to 4A, I thought they would rival Dwenger up North.

Instead they, literally, have seemed to fall off of a cliff.  They went from state contenders to consistently sub .500.  

Even with “soft” Norte Dame kids I’m not sure that covers it.  Isn’t West Lafayette laden with a lot of Purdue kids but they perform at the highest level consistently....and they are far from “soft”.

2 hours ago, DT said:

As this area becomes more affluent, it also becomes more enamored with the lake life style, RVs and traveling, and general leisure.  Hard core activities like football, hunting, and  ice fishing are becoming passe'   They take too much time and effort.  

Was this supposed to be in purple??🤪

Elkhart & St Joe counties are becoming "more affluent"?  Compare to the 80's/90's?????  

Obviously this is why Indy Metro Teams from Hamilton, Boone, Hendricks, Johnson, & Hancock counties were terrible....the affluence guaranteed their terrible performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lysander said:

It was just 9 years ago when St. Joe played in 2 State Championships in a row (2010 and 2011).  When they moved to 4A, I thought they would rival Dwenger up North.

Instead they, literally, have seemed to fall off of a cliff.  They went from state contenders to consistently sub .500.  

Even with “soft” Norte Dame kids I’m not sure that covers it.  Isn’t West Lafayette laden with a lot of Purdue kids but they perform at the highest level consistently....and they are far from “soft”.

Marian has replaced St Joe as the new PP power in that area

58 minutes ago, DT said:

Marian has replaced St Joe as the new PP power in that area

Marian was never “bad” during that time while St. Joe was good (up through around 2015).  In fact, they beat St. Joe as often as not and made deep runs in the playoffs as well during that time.  St. Joe is arguably “bad” at this point....and have been for about 5 years.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lysander said:

Marian was never “bad” during that time while St. Joe was good (up through around 2015).  In fact, they beat St. Joe as often as not and made deep runs in the playoffs as well during that time.  St. Joe is arguably “bad” at this point....and have been for about 5 years.  

Or Marian has simply outrecruited St Joe and cornered the market on the best PP/CYO/Public talent in the area.  Lets give Marian some credit where credit is due.  They took this away from St Joe.  Pure and simple.  Marian beat Penn and did not get the chance to beat Elkhart.  MM might be the best team in the conference.  Probably are.  

28 minutes ago, DT said:

Or Marian has simply outrecruited St Joe and cornered the market on the best PP/CYO/Public talent in the area.  Lets give Marian some credit where credit is due.  They took this away from St Joe.  Pure and simple.  Marian beat Penn and did not get the chance to beat Elkhart.  MM might be the best team in the conference.  Probably are.  

St Joe and Marian don't have boundaries so it is open enrollment.  The better players are going to Marian.  Marian gets  some players from the Elkhart and Lower Michigan areas.

6 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

St Joe and Marian don't have boundaries so it is open enrollment.  The better players are going to Marian.  Marian gets  some players from the Elkhart and Lower Michigan areas.

Is Marian actively recruiting the market?

I think you are fairly accurate on the HCC...the narrative for several years has been with the school sizes, money and recent success the trajectory will only go up.  Brownsburg has done a good job of developing local kids sprinkled in with transfers from Noblesville, South Bend and Columbus.  Avon has been bleeding kids for a few years due to transfers and quitting.  I do know two years ago Avon's freshman roster was around 40 and currently the junior class has 10-12 remaining.  HSE/Fishers I think will trend back up in the coming years.  Westfield is the place to be....great facilities and the coach is busting his ass to build a culture.

Edited by BigBH

5 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Yeah totally.

At the highest level, there is not much difference between 3A and 5A football.  

In my view, we really are watching 3 primary levels of high school football in Indiana split into 6 classes.

Class 1   1A/2A

Class 2  3A/4A/5A

Class 3  6A

1 hour ago, DT said:

At the highest level, there is not much difference between 3A and 5A football.  

In my view, we really are watching 3 primary levels of high school football in Indiana split into 6 classes.

Class 1   1A/2A

Class 2  3A/4A/5A

Class 3  6A

Seems this way. With out an in depth look.  

21 hours ago, DT said:

I changed my mind.  We can coexist peacefully.  You stay in your realm of little boy football.  Ill hang with the big guys.  Works for me.

big guys don't want you

16 minutes ago, southend said:

Now look what you’ve done! You went ahead and hurt his feelings! 
No time out this time, but...,

Ill be ok.  Many of the snowflakes around here get offended rather easily.