Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Post Season Conference Analysis - Trending Up /Trending Down

Guest DT

40 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

The MIC did tread water as the top conference in Indiana and one of the best in the Midwest. I'm sure they'll take it. 

Center Grove did carry the water for the top conference in Indiana and one of the best in the Midwest. I'm sure they'll take it. 

Fixed it for you.  They were 4 scores better than everybody not named Lawrence North this year...

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Center Grove did carry the water for the top conference in Indiana and one of the best in the Midwest. I'm sure they'll take it. 

Fixed it for you.  They were 4 scores better than everybody not named Lawrence North this year...

It will be interesting next year when the success factor puts them in the MAC. Could see an early season upset between them and Ball State..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

No need to be nasty.

It’d be like Illinois and Rutgers boasting about Ohio State making the college football playoff...

You don’t get to puff your chest out and claim conference superiority when over half of your conference’s D1 players are on one team.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

I only read ONE reference to the Circle City Conference.  

There is NO WAY that you can't say that that collection of schools have far outshone some of those mentioned at the start of this thread.  

They get my vote as being on the UPSIDE! 

Agree 100% .   Buts its only a 4 school conference    Needs to expand to be taken more seriously

On 11/16/2020 at 3:23 PM, DT said:

SAC

Not a good ending on the year for The SAC.  Perhaps a bitter taste after Dwenger and Homestead went down, the former in an ugly loss to Westfield.  Not as many individual stars in the conference this year, and the bottom tier is not showing much improvement.  The SAC has held its own as one of the states best pound for pound for decades, but the league took a step backwards this year.  

While your opinion is always respected, I think you missed the mark on the SAC this year DT. With regard to how the season ended, let's take a look at each game. Bishop Luers took care of business against Tipton much easier than most thought they would. I don't think anyone around the state (if they really follow football) was expecting Homestead to do much against Westfield. Dwenger lost a game they probably win 9 times out of ten by two touchdowns. And Concordia, the SAC's 5th best team, took one of Indy's best down to the wire. Really, the only disappointment here was the Dwenger game. I don't think you can judge the entire conference based on that one game.

Both Homestead and Carroll had above average teams this year. Dwenger was typical Dwenger. Luers is flexing its muscle against schools of similar size (you could argue P/P advantages here). Concordia gave one of the best teams in the state a run for their money. Wayne is trending up with the addition of Sherwood Haydock at the helm. North Side had one of their best teams in decades. Northrop was typical Northrop. South Side showed life playing it's first non-conference game. Snider was down considerably. 

Overall, I feel like the league was up this year from top to bottom. Not by much though. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 6:13 PM, temptation said:

No one will take the 6A schools in the SAC seriously until they take down the HCC/MIC in November..

It won't happen next year. Snider will be much improved next year, but move down to 5a. A date with Cathedral in November 2021 may be looming. No one will take Homestead or Carroll serious until they compete competitively in 6a against teams outside of Northeast Indiana. 

I'll also argue that every time Snider plays Carmel or Westfield, it's always a good game. 

3 hours ago, temptation said:

It’d be like Illinois and Rutgers boasting about Ohio State making the college football playoff...

You don’t get to puff your chest out and claim conference superiority when over half of your conference’s D1 players are on one team.

6a has 32 teams..25% reside in the mic..if I were a betting man id take them in 95% of the games against the rest of the state..bottom dwellers might compete with n beat "elite" programs of smaller build..

45 minutes ago, BTF said:

While your opinion is always respected, I think you missed the mark on the SAC this year DT. With regard to how the season ended, let's take a look at each game. Bishop Luers took care of business against Tipton much easier than most thought they would. I don't think anyone around the state (if they really follow football) was expecting Homestead to do much against Westfield. Dwenger lost a game they probably win 9 times out of ten by two touchdowns. And Concordia, the SAC's 5th best team, took one of Indy's best down to the wire. Really, the only disappointment here was the Dwenger game. I don't think you can judge the entire conference based on that one game.

Both Homestead and Carroll had above average teams this year. Dwenger was typical Dwenger. Luers is flexing its muscle against schools of similar size (you could argue P/P advantages here). Concordia gave one of the best teams in the state a run for their money. Wayne is trending up with the addition of Sherwood Haydock at the helm. North Side had one of their best teams in decades. Northrop was typical Northrop. South Side showed life playing it's first non-conference game. Snider was down considerably. 

Overall, I feel like the league was up this year from top to bottom. Not by much though. 

The sac has to have 2 semi state participants at least..if not..others will lay claim to top 3 notoriety 

51 minutes ago, BTF said:

From an outsiders POV, it seemed like a lackluster regular season for the SAC this year and a pretty solid post season.  I am a big fan of the conference championship, and many schools overlook this prize due to the all in nature of the tournament.  It seemed like there were few "big games" during the regular season, or less than usual.  Just the fact that the flagship (Snider) is somewhat down is going to psychologically reduce the competitive profile of the conference, at least temporarily.

I was also very disturbed by the comments coming from Dwenger regarding declining participation and potential apathetic attitudes towards football.  That is a real concern.  Look at what has happened to Noll in The Region and to St Joe in South Bend.  Dwenger is not immune from these same forces seeping in to destroy its football culture.

I was wondering the other day how the SAC could take the next step forward and improve its competitive profile.  The solution I came up with was to add Warsaw and East Noble or Leo and ship off the smallest or consistently most underperforming  city schools off to the NE8.  This would be similar to the NIC or The Region going thru natural contraction due to closings and consolidations.  Therer just isnt enough talent in The Fort to support all those public schools.  

17 minutes ago, DT said:

From an outsiders POV, it seemed like a lackluster regular season for the SAC this year and a pretty solid post season.  I am a big fan of the conference championship, and many schools overlook this prize due to the all in nature of the tournament.  It seemed like there were few "big games" during the regular season, or less than usual.  Just the fact that the flagship (Snider) is somewhat down is going to psychologically reduce the competitive profile of the conference, at least temporarily.

I was also very disturbed by the comments coming from Dwenger regarding declining participation and potential apathetic attitudes towards football.  That is a real concern.  Look at what has happened to Noll in The Region and to St Joe in South Bend.  Dwenger is not immune from these same forces seeping in to destroy its football culture.

I was wondering the other day how the SAC could take the next step forward and improve its competitive profile.  The solution I came up with was to add Warsaw and East Noble or Leo and ship off the smallest or consistently most underperforming  city schools off to the NE8.  This would be similar to the NIC or The Region going thru natural contraction due to closings and consolidations.  Therer just isnt enough talent in The Fort to support all those public schools.  

I actually enjoyed watching Homestead, Dwenger, Carroll, North Side, and Concordia do battle with one another. Some very good games.

Agree. It doesn't help that Snider is the only 6A team that is competitive with the Indy big boys. Homestead lays an egg every single time. I'm not sure if or when they will ever turn the corner. I feel like Homestead plays high level 5A football.

Take the comment from the Dwenger poster with a grain of salt. Dwenger is the Notre Dame of high school football (although Cathedral may take that personally). Jason Garrett has that Saints on pretty solid ground. 

Although your idea of adding Leo, East Noble, and Warsaw isn't bad, I'm not sure who you would eliminate other than South Side. Wayne will be on or above Leo's or EN's level in a couple of years in my opinion. And adding those teams doesn't do much to make Snider, Homestead, and Carroll better. I think the ONLY answer to Fort Wayne being competitive on a 6a level is to split the conference in two divisions to allow for non-conference games. Those three should have at least one game every year against one team from the MIC/HCC and one game against a Region/SB school. The island conference does everything for the 2a-5a schools, but absolutely NOTHING for the 6a programs. 

6 minutes ago, temptation said:

Have I mentioned Dwenger got screwed?  

A travesty.

Although the two hour bus ride sucked for sure, I'm more disturbed by the phantom pass interference call that led to the game tying score. Not that that was the ONLY reason Dwenger lost, but damn. Not sure what the ref actually was looking at there. 

At the end of the day, this isn't sour grapes about an SAC team losing for me. It's more about which school has a morsel of a chance to beat Cathedral. I felt like Dwenger had a defense that could have kept them in the game. Either way, Cathedral would be a two touchdown favorite against any other team in the 5a field this year. Some would even say three. 

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

I actually enjoyed watching Homestead, Dwenger, Carroll, North Side, and Concordia do battle with one another. Some very good games.

Agree. It doesn't help that Snider is the only 6A team that is competitive with the Indy big boys. Homestead lays an egg every single time. I'm not sure if or when they will ever turn the corner. I feel like Homestead plays high level 5A football.

Take the comment from the Dwenger poster with a grain of salt. Dwenger is the Notre Dame of high school football (although Cathedral may take that personally). Jason Garrett has that Saints on pretty solid ground. 

Although your idea of adding Leo, East Noble, and Warsaw isn't bad, I'm not sure who you would eliminate other than South Side. Wayne will be on or above Leo's or EN's level in a couple of years in my opinion. And adding those teams doesn't do much to make Snider, Homestead, and Carroll better. I think the ONLY answer to Fort Wayne being competitive on a 6a level is to split the conference in two divisions to allow for non-conference games. Those three should have at least one game every year against one team from the MIC/HCC and one game against a Region/SB school. The island conference does everything for the 2a-5a schools, but absolutely NOTHING for the 6a programs. 

Totally AGREE!!!!  

Or an area centric (FB only) conference 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

It won't happen next year. Snider will be much improved next year, but move down to 5a. A date with Cathedral in November 2021 may be looming. No one will take Homestead or Carroll serious until they compete competitively in 6a against teams outside of Northeast Indiana. 

I'll also argue that every time Snider plays Carmel or Westfield, it's always a good game. 

I will add, the only team in the SAC that has been respectable against the Indy Mega Schools are the Mighty Panthers of Snider. Not so much in past 5-7 years or so, but looking overall. Things change and I understand that, but Snider should be back in 6A after the next two years. 

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

Although the two hour bus ride sucked for sure, I'm more disturbed by the phantom pass interference call that led to the game tying score. Not that that was the ONLY reason Dwenger lost, but damn. Not sure what the ref actually was looking at there. 

Can you produce the video of that play? I’m not saying you’re wrong but I think we saw the same feed and the camera work was lazy. The receiver/defender didn’t come into the screen until the ball was right there on them. PI could have been at any time that ball was in the air.

The biased announcer said he didn’t see anything but I take that with a grain of salt.

54 minutes ago, psaboy said:

I will add, the only team in the SAC that has been respectable against the Indy Mega Schools are the Mighty Panthers of Snider. Not so much in past 5-7 years or so, but looking overall. Things change and I understand that, but Snider should be back in 6A after the next two years. 

Sf will play a role in the upcoming years as it did a few years back..to have a solid 4 or 5 year run would be impeccable..thats what it would take for a 6a title..i think if center grove wins they will have the smallest pop. to win a 6a title..the Trojans have won b4 though so I'm probably wrong..snider would need to be on that type of level...imho

1 hour ago, Staxawax said:

Can you produce the video of that play? I’m not saying you’re wrong but I think we saw the same feed and the camera work was lazy. The receiver/defender didn’t come into the screen until the ball was right there on them. PI could have been at any time that ball was in the air.

The biased announcer said he didn’t see anything but I take that with a grain of salt.

There was contact. Personally, it looks like he grabs his arm. I'm fine with someone arguing that it was hand fighting and should have been a no call, but to call it a phantom call is incorrect.