Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lake Central is Open - Can it be fixed?

Guest DT

I get that Lake Central recently went through a complete remodel; however, why build a football facility like this if you're not interested in winning? I'm assuming those are athletic facilities behind the south endzone. St. Germain took a lot of heat on these boards from us arm chair QB's for only being able to win one Sectional at Lake Central, but he had a nice string of 8 and 9 win seasons. Lake Central can win the post-Elmer Britton era. They have the enrollment. Like many of you have said they just need the right coach. That person could be a complete unknown right now. Look at Merrillville. The Pirates are rolling with Seiss, but his hire from Muncie Central was a complete head scratcher on paper. 

I'm a firm believer that winning begets winners. Lake Central won't have a problem losing talent to Andrean, Chicago Mt. Carmel, or even upstart Illiana Christian if the Blue Indians are contenders again. IMO, the timing is perfect for LC as the writing is on the wall that Andrean has taken a dropoff in Mason's absence. I think it's fair to say the '59'ers are playing for a State Title either last year or this year (at least one of the years) had Mason not left for Michigan City. 

Capture.PNG

4 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I get that Lake Central recently went through a complete remodel; however, why build a football facility like this if you're not interested in winning? I'm assuming those are athletic facilities behind the south endzone. St. Germain took a lot of heat on these boards from us arm chair QB's for only being able to win one Sectional at Lake Central, but he had a nice string of 8 and 9 win seasons. Lake Central can win the post-Elmer Britton era. They have the enrollment. Like many of you have said they just need the right coach. That person could be a complete unknown right now. Look at Merrillville. The Pirates are rolling with Seiss, but his hire from Muncie Central was a complete head scratcher on paper. 

I'm a firm believer that winning begets winners. Lake Central won't have a problem losing talent to Andrean, Chicago Mt. Carmel, or even upstart Illiana Christian if the Blue Indians are contenders again. IMO, the timing is perfect for LC as the writing is on the wall that Andrean has taken a dropoff in Mason's absence. I think it's fair to say the '59'ers are playing for a State Title either last year or this year (at least one of the years) had Mason not left for Michigan City. 

Capture.PNG

Yeah the calumet coach came from out of the area and won first sectional ever so it’s a possibility it will be someone we don’t even know

44 minutes ago, DT said:

The LC- Munster rivalry used to be one of the Regions best.

Its an absolute crap show right now.  These two schools are very closely connected both geographically, culturally, and in every way.  Any link that you can find between the two relative to their steep downturns in football?

Munster's a basketball and tennis school currently while LC is solid in basketball and baseball?

21 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

St. Germain took a lot of heat on these boards from us arm chair QB's for only being able to win one Sectional at Lake Central, but he had a nice string of 8 and 9 win seasons. 

I always thought St. Germain did a pretty good job at LC. The one thing that killed him was losing a lot of talent to Andrean those years. He just couldn’t keep kids in house for some reason. As for the comments about Andrean’s current situation, I can’t say I don’t agree. I also think that Andrean is poised to slip even more in the next few years. 

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

How have the 3 feeder middle school programs been? I also wonder if LC loses any kids to Hanover Central as well Illinois private schools and Andrean. The new facilities are amazing from the view on 41, I think with the right hire this could awaken a sleeping giant. I'd give a call to Craig Buzea, see if he has any inklings to come back to Indiana. Probably not but I'd still check...

They couldn't afford it.  Last I checked, he made as much as a teacher and HFB coach at HF as the super of LC...or darn near close.

1 hour ago, DT said:

The LC- Munster rivalry used to be one of the Regions best.

Its an absolute crap show right now.  These two schools are very closely connected both geographically, culturally, and in every way.  Any link that you can find between the two relative to their steep downturns in football?

Closely connected in every way save enrollment. LC is twice the size. 

Unrelated issues. Munster’s case is that Marsh let things go downhill on the back half of his career, combined with a first time head coach taking over that has been unable to generate any program excitement or improvement. That leads them to 2-8, 0-10 and 1-9 the last 3 years.

I can’t figure out Lake Central’s issue. It’s not a new one though. They had a decent run with St. Germain where they won a couple of sectionals, but mostly under 500 ball since they let Elmer go after 2000. 6 winning seasons and 14 losing in the last 20 years. Not good. I think LC’s issue is a deeper one than Munster’s.

6 hours ago, DT said:

Straight up question

Is LC integrated enough to compete in high level varsity football?

Merrillville is the standard bearer for DAC football.  The team is loaded with quality black athletes.

NWI demographics have changed significantly over the past 20 years.  St John, Indiana is still basically a 100% white community.  Dyer and Schererville are not far behind. 

Hart, Mason , Buzea, Britton and even George Halas and Vince Lombardi will need the horses to make a run for it in the Duneland.  I think the stable is empty.

Certainly athletic ability crucial to winning football...and getting your athletes (no matter the race) to play is the key.  Let me remind you as you place Mville as the standard bearer of Dac football that Valpo has won over 20 straight Games in the DAC.  Too bad that game was canceled this year.  

On 11/19/2020 at 3:35 PM, DT said:

There was some talk regarding Russ Radtke over the past few years.  I think his tactics might be a bit too aggressive for the coddled fair haired boys of the tri town area.

It's all about relationships. If you can get the current generation to trust you, they'll follow you.

12 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Illinois vs Indiana 

always been that way 

Last I heard though there was concern with teacher retirements in Illinois but I have not paid too much attention since in law retired 

There is concern in Illinois (or should be) on the part of anyone who is counting on a state-backed pension for their retirement. At the close of fiscal 2019, Illinois’ unfunded pension liability was $137.3 billion, meaning that the state is committed to paying out that much in excess of what they have in reserve. This quote tells it all:

“Illinois has the lowest credit ratings among U.S. states at a notch or two above the junk level due to its huge unfunded pension liability and chronic structural budget deficit.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-illinois-pensions/illinois-unfunded-pension-liability-rises-to-137-3-billion-idUSKBN1Y82ZP

• Thanks 1

For 50 years everybody complained about the swamp that was a football field on the north end of the property.  It constantly flooded.  Was flea infested.  Faced in the wrong direction relative to the sun.  Had poor seating.  basically, it was viewed at the worst football facility in NWI.

The new football palace is gorgeous, and its construction coincides directly with the swift descent of the LC football program.  After Gelen Robinson graduated, it went downhill in a hurry.  

In this day and age, as a public school, you really have to go "all in" to have a successful football program.  The "all in" schools in NWI are clear and obvious :  

Merrillville

Valpo

Michigan City

Lowell

Hobart

Morton

Whiting

Thats about it, out of 33 schools in The Region.  Griffith used to be in that group, as did Portage, Munster and Hammond High   Not any more

I dont see LC going "all in"   Its not important enough to the students, to the administration, or to the community.  They all have a multitude of other options to keep them occupied.

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, DT said:

The new football palace is gorgeous, and its construction coincides directly with the swift descent of the LC football program. 

When was it built, 1990? 3 sectional titles since 1994 shows the program never was very good OR any kind of a factor in Indiana high school football.

3 hours ago, DT said:

For 50 years everybody complained about the swamp that was a football field on the north end of the property.  It constantly flooded.  Was flea infested.  Faced in the wrong direction relative to the sun.  Had poor seating.  basically, it was viewed at the worst football facility in NWI.

The new football palace is gorgeous, and its construction coincides directly with the swift descent of the LC football program.  After Gelen Robinson graduated, it went downhill in a hurry.  

In this day and age, as a public school, you really have to go "all in" to have a successful football program.  The "all in" schools in NWI are clear and obvious :  

Merrillville

Valpo

Michigan City

Lowell

Hobart

Morton

Whiting

Thats about it, out of 33 schools in The Region.  Griffith used to be in that group, as did Portage, Munster and Hammond High   Not any more

I dont see LC going "all in"   Its not important enough to the students, to the administration, or to the community.  They all have a multitude of other options to keep them occupied.

It flooded?  Never knew that and I went there and spent many games there, watching, playing, coaching. 

Fleas?  Well. The field was grass so I guess anything is possible?

It was a “dump” of a playing field, but it was our “dump” and we defended it the best we could. 

2 minutes ago, DE said:

It flooded?  Never knew that and I went there and spent many games there, watching, playing, coaching. 

It was a “dump” of a playing field, but it was our “dump” and we defended it the best we could

In those days, the Burial Ground really lived up to its name. Elmer’s teams were always big and physical.

9 hours ago, DE said:

It was a “dump” of a playing field, but it was our “dump” and we defended it the best we could. 

Absolute crap of a field.  Travesty that a rich school district like LC would allow that cow pasture to be used as a home football field for decades.

On a positive note, I did catch an 86 yard TD pass against your Indians on that field in 1978.  So I do have one good memory of that goat ranch. 

1 hour ago, DT said:

Absolute shithole of a field.  Travesty that a rich school district like LC would allow that cow pasture to be used as a home football field for decades.

On a positive note, I did catch an 86 yard TD pass against your Indians on that field in 1978.  So I do have one good memory of that goat ranch. 

Have I disagreed?  Nope!

Cool.  Glad you caught an 86 yard TD pass Al Bundy.  How did you earn your other 3 tuddies?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Absolute shithole of a field.  Travesty that a rich school district like LC would allow that cow pasture to be used as a home football field for decades.

No facts to back up your horrendous claims about the field flooding and being infested with fleas?  

Just now, DE said:

No facts to back up your horrendous claims about the field flooding and being infested with fleas?  

Plus, if you really knew what you were talking about, you would know that LC had the largest crown on a FB.  It reminded us of Little San Juan Hill.