Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2020 Mr. Football

19 hours ago, fenderbender said:

2nd awarded was an OL.    I think mainly because he was an IU commit. 

Worst part was that Mike Bohn set the single season rushing record that year ('93) at 3,165 while only playing in 40 quarters and facing 8 undefeated teams.  Roncalli went 14-0 and led the nation in rushing.  Bohn was robbed.

1 hour ago, The TW said:

Worst part was that Mike Bohn set the single season rushing record that year ('93) at 3,165 while only playing in 40 quarters and facing 8 undefeated teams.  Roncalli went 14-0 and lead the nation in rushing.  Bohn was robbed.

I had Roncalli in the semistate that year against somebody from Evansville. Terrific player.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Staxawax said:

So they need to check the Ouija board and see how the kid is going to do in college? Got it.

Well. Emil was pretty good in high school too, good enough to get a scholarship at 'Bama!  Didn't take any kind of board for him to be found!

18 hours ago, The TW said:

Worst part was that Mike Bohn set the single season rushing record that year ('93) at 3,165 while only playing in 40 quarters and facing 8 undefeated teams.  Roncalli went 14-0 and led the nation in rushing.  Bohn was robbed.

I remember watching him against Danville in Regionals in '93.  He was a stud.  Danville had a good team that year and got destroyed by that Roncalli team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

Well. Emil was pretty good in high school too, good enough to get a scholarship at 'Bama!  Didn't take any kind of board for him to be found!

OL will never get the credit they are due, especially in modern era football where offensive players are putting up stats at an all-time high in the sport in general.

6 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

Can the state do more awards then just the Griddy's (do they still do those awards?) I would be cool to see kids get recognition for by position with awards more than just All-Area, All-Conference, and All-State.

I think they still give give 10 Mr. Football by positional awards.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Grover said:

To continue stirring...when will an offensive lineman win?

Maybe this year

7 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

Can the state do more awards then just the Griddy's (do they still do those awards?) I would be cool to see kids get recognition for by position with awards more than just All-Area, All-Conference, and All-State.

IFCA does Top 50, then that list is voted on for Posistion award winner.  You must be a position award winner to be eliglbe for final vote, Mr. Football.    And INDY STAR only SPONSORS the award, this will be the 2nd year in a row that entire IFCA membership will have a vote for Mr. Football.  

• Like 1

Bumping this thread now that we have officially reached the off season, and I think you can make the case that it is a two-horse (no pun intended) race.

Look, Fisher is the highest recruit based on the national rankings, but I just don't see it.  Not passing judgment on whether or not he is deserving, just being realistic that in the modern era of football, gaudy offensive stats, a successful/championship caliber team, and schedule strength (5A/6A players usually seem to get a "push) it is hard for a non-skill position player to win it.

Many have already awarded the award to Steele and could be correct, but I am going to make a case for Nathan McCahill of Cathedral.

Both he and Steele are the primary skill position players on their team as 53 percent of Cathedral's total offensive yardage was from the arm/legs of McCahill whereas Steele only accounted for 30 percent of Center Grove's total offense.  Cathedral probably did play a slightly more difficult schedule and had to play their starters late in more games than did CG.  Both teams are super talented, but one cannot debate that CG has a more talented "team" around Steele.

McCahill accounted for (passing or rushing) 48 of the Irish's 67 total touchdowns whereas Steele's 33 TD's accounted for 42 percent of Center Grove's.

You can't go wrong either way and to those of you who have stated it is more of a career award, Steele is the obvious choice, but just looking at the 2020 body of work McCahill is hard to argue against.

On 11/22/2020 at 3:44 PM, Bobref said:

I had Roncalli in the semistate that year against somebody from Evansville. Terrific player.

Was that common for a northern official to officiate a southern tourney game?  That would be really neat.

4 minutes ago, DE said:

Absolutely.  Would that have been in Indianapolis or Evansville, if you recall?  Either way.  Much fun.

It was at Roncalli. It was the night the kid from Boston College hit the 51 yd. field goal to cost the Irish the national championship that year.

Is there any chance a small school player gets thrown a bone as a finalist? I know he won’t win, but James Arnold should at least be considered as a finalist. He led the state in passing yards and touchdowns, while nearly leading a comeback for the ages in the state title game. I know he won’t win, but it would be pretty cool to see him listed as a finalist. 

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Bumping this thread now that we have officially reached the off season, and I think you can make the case that it is a two-horse (no pun intended) race.

Look, Fisher is the highest recruit based on the national rankings, but I just don't see it.  Not passing judgment on whether or not he is deserving, just being realistic that in the modern era of football, gaudy offensive stats, a successful/championship caliber team, and schedule strength (5A/6A players usually seem to get a "push) it is hard for a non-skill position player to win it.

Many have already awarded the award to Steele and could be correct, but I am going to make a case for Nathan McCahill of Cathedral.

Both he and Steele are the primary skill position players on their team as 53 percent of Cathedral's total offensive yardage was from the arm/legs of McCahill whereas Steele only accounted for 30 percent of Center Grove's total offense.  Cathedral probably did play a slightly more difficult schedule and had to play their starters late in more games than did CG.  Both teams are super talented, but one cannot debate that CG has a more talented "team" around Steele.

McCahill accounted for (passing or rushing) 48 of the Irish's 67 total touchdowns whereas Steele's 33 TD's accounted for 42 percent of Center Grove's.

You can't go wrong either way and to those of you who have stated it is more of a career award, Steele is the obvious choice, but just looking at the 2020 body of work McCahill is hard to argue against.

Nate was the heart and soul of this year's Irish team.  There's no debating this.  It's too bad he only had one year to show his talents and leadership.  That being said I'd almost bet the farm that Steele gets the honor.

Just now, PHJIrish said:

Nate was the heart and soul of this year's Irish team.  There's no debating this.  It's too bad he only had one year to show his talents and leadership.  That being said I'd almost bet the farm that Steele gets the honor.

I always like this argument and it actually strengthens McCahill's argument.  Take he and Steele off of their respective teams and tell me who has the larger drop off?