Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2020 Mr. Football

2 hours ago, StatQueen said:

Love the McCahill kid. Great HS dual threat QB. I will say his stats are inflated due to their Jet Sweep being run as a "pass" in the statbook. Makes those TDs, yards passing, And completion % appear way better than reality.

Ignorant statement to be honest. The Jet sweep that is actually a shovel pass (Peyton Manning even utilized it). Accounted for maybe 10 TD's passing and was only ran when they were inside the 5 yard line or short yardage situations. To say it inflated his passing yardage is totally ignorant to say when it maybe accounted for 70 yards total on his total passing yards. While I can see you saying Passing TD's and possibly completion percentage (event though that is not accurate) it is a reckless statement to make. Here is the young man's hudle highlight's not one of them was of the "Jet Sweep" / "Shuffle Pass" which was an extremely small portion of his passing yards and TD's. http://www.hudl.com/v/2EiVNe

16 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

McCahill didn’t even win the QB award???

Yep chose another QB while a very good QB didn't make it out of Sectionals. No chance for McCahill to win Mr. Football now unfortunately. McCulley is a very good QB. Shows me it is not an award for top Senior but what a player does over 4 years of football only. McCahill had an excellent season and while some want to ignorantly state his numbers are inflated by the Jet Sweep/shuffle pass those that have actually watched know he was a terrific downfield passer excellent running QB and a great leader. Steele will also be a great choice but its a shame McCahill can't even have the battle with the terrific season he had. Ultimate team player that switched to WR while waiting his time at QB behind a 2 year starter (my personal opinion) and came out on fire this year.

19 minutes ago, FarmerFran said:

If mr Steele was the best player in the state surely his collegiate offers would match that namesake. 

Not even close to being accurate.  College scholarships are awarded based on college potential.  High school awards should be based on high school achievements.

Edited by Grover
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grover said:

Not even close to being accurate.  College scholarships are awarded based on college potential.  High school awards should be based on high school achievements.

I completely agree that it should be based on high school achievement and as such Mr Fisher fits the bill. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Ignorant statement to be honest. The Jet sweep that is actually a shovel pass (Peyton Manning even utilized it). Accounted for maybe 10 TD's passing and was only ran when they were inside the 5 yard line or short yardage situations. To say it inflated his passing yardage is totally ignorant to say when it maybe accounted for 70 yards total on his total passing yards. While I can see you saying Passing TD's and possibly completion percentage (event though that is not accurate) it is a reckless statement to make. Here is the young man's hudle highlight's not one of them was of the "Jet Sweep" / "Shuffle Pass" which was an extremely small portion of his passing yards and TD's. http://www.hudl.com/v/2EiVNe

I agree, already said he was a great dual threat QB.... great high light film too. Not even close to sniffing McCulys career. Talk aboout a highlight reel. Not even close.

11 minutes ago, FarmerFran said:

I completely agree that it should be based on high school achievement and as such Mr Fisher fits the bill. 

I say again... name me one NFL MVP or Heisman lineman winner. Oh ya... you cant. Jadaveon was the closest... an o lineman... what planet are u from. This is laughable. Lol.

34 minutes ago, FarmerFran said:

You won't find a bigger proponent of offensive linemen than me.  I don't think they will ever win because realistically there aren't stats for o-linemen.  No fantasy points!  To most voters the o-line are just kind of in the way.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, StatQueen said:

I agree, already said he was a great dual threat QB.... great high light film too. Not even close to sniffing McCulys career. Talk aboout a highlight reel. Not even close.

Heck no he won't sniff McCulley's "Career Record" who has ever disputed that. Can't sniff a 3 year career starters career when you've only been afforded 1 year as a starter after waiting behind a very good 2 year starter. Heck the kid even made switch to WR last year just to get on the field because they had a extremely good 2 year starter. Some background becomes healthy. McCulley's seasons 2020 7-4 lost sectional champ, 2019 4-7 lost sectional champ, 2018 3-7 lost 1st rd. McCahill's lone starting year 13-1 with a strong schedule (they weren't chumps look at Cathedral's schedule) and State Championship

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Heck no he won't sniff McCulley's "Career Record" who has ever disputed that. Can't sniff a 3 year career starters career when you've only been afforded 1 year as a starter after waiting behind a very good 2 year starter. Heck the kid even made switch to WR last year just to get on the field because they had a extremely good 2 year starter. Some background becomes healthy. McCulley's seasons 2020 7-4 lost sectional champ, 2019 4-7 lost sectional champ, 2018 3-7 lost 1st rd. McCahill's lone starting year 13-1 with a strong schedule (they weren't chumps look at Cathedral's schedule) and State Championship

McCahill was a stud. Loved the wsy he played.... but he's not even in Donnie's ballpark. The coaches got that one right.

8 minutes ago, StatQueen said:

McCahill was a stud. Loved the wsy he played.... but he's not even in Donnie's ballpark. The coaches got that one right.

I don’t think anyone is going to argue that McCulley isn’t the more talented player with more potential at the next level and beyond, but if the award is supposed to go to the senior that played the QB position the best in 2020, it’s McCahill and it’s not really close.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I don’t think anyone is going to argue that McCulley isn’t the more talented player with more potential at the next level and beyond, but if the award is supposed to go to the senior that played the QB position the best in 2020, it’s McCahill and it’s not really close.

McCahill had a fantastic year, no doubt... not a Mr. Football. Sorry. It is what it is.

14 minutes ago, StatQueen said:

McCahill had a fantastic year, no doubt... not a Mr. Football. Sorry. It is what it is.

If McCahill had gone to Roncalli he would have been three year starter instead of Leffler playing since he was a freshman. I personally know Nathan and spoke with him today about this and his response is exactly who he is as a young man.  "I don't care about individual awards, the only thing that I really cared about was state and we won so to me that's all that matters."  If you knew this kid at all you couldn't be happier for him and his family.  Even at the state game when interviewed the first thing out of his mouth was a compliment to his offensive line and then about the rest of the team.  He is a true leader and Cathedral was lucky to have him be a part of that locker room.  If you ask any coach or player, Nate made the locker room a place where egos were checked at the door and you could not tell Cam Jordan from the fourth string sophomore that couldn't even sniff the scout team. 

I could only imagine with the locker room shenanigans that the Roncalli Rams have had over the last few years they could have used a young man like Nathan McCahill, but like you said, it is what it is. 

36 minutes ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

If McCahill had gone to Roncalli he would have been three year starter instead of Leffler playing since he was a freshman. I personally know Nathan and spoke with him today about this and his response is exactly who he is as a young man.  "I don't care about individual awards, the only thing that I really cared about was state and we won so to me that's all that matters."  If you knew this kid at all you couldn't be happier for him and his family.  Even at the state game when interviewed the first thing out of his mouth was a compliment to his offensive line and then about the rest of the team.  He is a true leader and Cathedral was lucky to have him be a part of that locker room.  If you ask any coach or player, Nate made the locker room a place where egos were checked at the door and you could not tell Cam Jordan from the fourth string sophomore that couldn't even sniff the scout team. 

I could only imagine with the locker room shenanigans that the Roncalli Rams have had over the last few years they could have used a young man like Nathan McCahill, but like you said, it is what it is. 

Are we talking about the CG kid that went to Cathedal, left there to try and play QB at CG, then ran back up north to play at Cathedral when he couldn't win the job? McCahill... right? I thought he had a great year and really liked the way he played, but come on now.... dont knock the Rebels cause your dude didnt get the award. Awesome to see both Cathy and Roncalli back on top.... In 5A and 4A.

• Disdain 1

20 minutes ago, StatQueen said:

Are we talking about the CG kid that went to Cathedal, left there to try and play QB at CG, then ran back up north to play at Cathedral when he couldn't win the job? McCahill... right? I thought he had a great year and really liked the way he played, but come on now.... dont knock the Rebels cause your dude didnt get the award. Awesome to see both Cathy and Roncalli back on top.... In 5A and 4A.

Oh yeah, you know, 17 year old kids can be persuaded by outside sources that may not have the best advice.  Leaving Cathedral and then returning when he realized that it was a mistake.  I'm also confused on why he is a CG kid?  Did he ever attend a CG school?  How about play in their bantam league? No? So how's he a CG kid again? 

Also, help me understand again how it's knocking the Rams because if they had a kid who probably wouldn't have allowed those shenanigans go on?  By the way, what happened to the kid that ended up telling the administration about those said shenanigans?  Heard he was the only senior who didn't get on the field during senior night this season and the new coach thanked him when he chose to leave the team afterwards.  Cathy will always be a class above the dumpster fire on Prague in more ways than on the football field.

Edited by IndplsCathedral_Dad
erased a word

25 minutes ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

Oh yeah, you know, 17 year old kids can be persuaded by outside sources that may not have the best advice.  Leaving Cathedral and then returning when he realized that it was a mistake.  I'm also confused on why he is a CG kid?  Did he ever attend a CG school?  How about play in their bantam league? No? So how's he a CG kid again? 

Also, help me understand again how it's knocking the Rams because if they had a kid who probably wouldn't have allowed those shenanigans go on?  By the way, what happened to the kid that ended up telling the administration about those said shenanigans?  Heard he was the only senior who didn't get on the field during senior night this season and the new coach thanked him when he chose to leave the team afterwards.  Cathy will always be a class above the dumpster fire on Prague in more ways than on the football field.

Lol. Ya. This sounds real classy. What a joke. Typical Cathy parent throwing a tantrum. Get your own field too while you're at it. 

10 minutes ago, StatQueen said:

Lol. Ya. This sounds real classy. What a joke. Typical Cathy parent throwing a tantrum. Get your own field too while you're at it. 

Thanks for answering my questions and as always you and your program are in no position to speak on class.  This is far from a tantrum madam, Carson Steele is and has been your Mr. Football way before today.  Your recent comments since you either just found the forum or finally decided to stop being a lurker, have spawned this desire to put you in your place.  Thanks for trying though.

5 minutes ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

Thanks for answering my questions and as always you and your program are in no position to speak on class.  This is far from a tantrum madam, Carson Steele is and has been your Mr. Football way before today.  Your recent comments since you either just found the forum or finally decided to stop being a lurker, have spawned this desire to put you in your place.  Thanks for trying though.

Hahahaha.... Thank You for trying! You're the one that started going after the Rebels program, dont get mad cause you got served.  

First of all it's good to hear from the southside PP again.  It has been a long silence.  It must mean that they are doing well and Cathedral is also doing well, and that's all good.

I probably have attended more Indiana High School football games than anyone on this site.  That and $5 will get me a Starbucks special.  I have never seen one player mean so much to his team than Nathan McCaill has against such a top notch  schedule.  I don't have to repeat that schedule because it has been rehashed here a lot already.  I'm not much on stats on a player's worthiness, I much prefer my own eyeball test.  These old eyeballs have seen few QB's have a better season than Nate.  His leadership has been incredible.  Now it's true that I'm prejudiced and an Irish fanboy, but I've never been one to be blinded by partisanship when it comes to accolades.  If a player is outstanding I like to believe I am quick to acknowledge that.  I'm sure Nate is the kind of young man that treasures a championship ring more than is own personal rewards and he has that, and so does his teammates.  They have those rings because of their hard work and the leadership of Nathan McCahill.  Well, I shouldn't forget the leadership of our great coaching staff either.  It's been a fun season and I was blessed to attend most of the games.

I don't understand the vote for the Mr. Football position award for QB.  There's a lot of things I don't understand but I know that there are a lot of those that voted for this award post on this site, and I would like for them to help me understand their vote or the reasoning behind theirs and other's decision.

We all know life isn't always "fair" (there's that word) but there are times when we just need to know "why."

I hope everyone has a very blessed Immaculate Conception Day!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

First of all it's good to hear from the southside PP again.  It has been a long silence.  It must mean that they are doing well and Cathedral is also doing well, and that's all good.

I probably have attended more Indiana High School football games than anyone on this site.  That and $5 will get me a Starbucks special.  I have never seen one player mean so much to his team than Nathan McCaill has against such a top notch  schedule.  I don't have to repeat that schedule because it has been rehashed here a lot already.  I'm not much on stats on a player's worthiness, I much prefer my own eyeball test.  These old eyeballs have seen few QB's have a better season than Nate.  His leadership has been incredible.  Now it's true that I'm prejudiced and an Irish fanboy, but I've never been one to be blinded by partisanship when it comes to accolades.  If a player is outstanding I like to believe I am quick to acknowledge that.  I'm sure Nate is the kind of young man that treasures a championship ring more than is own personal rewards and he has that, and so does his teammates.  They have those rings because of their hard work and the leadership of Nathan McCahill.  Well, I shouldn't forget the leadership of our great coaching staff either.  It's been a fun season and I was blessed to attend most of the games.

I don't understand the vote for the Mr. Football position award for QB.  There's a lot of things I don't understand but I know that there are a lot of those that voted for this award post on this site, and I would like for them to help me understand their vote or the reasoning behind theirs and other's decision.

We all know life isn't always "fair" (there's that word) but there are times when we just need to know "why."

You're underestimating what Donnie McCaulley brought to the table for LN!!  No one is saying McCahill isn't great, they are just saying #1 from LN was the guy this year, and last year, and the year before that.  He was the reason, the catapult, that made LN legit.  His leadership and work ethic were awarded with NUMEROUS D-1 offers, and he elected to go down to Bloomington to continue his career.  His team wasn't as good as McCahill's, so he didn't beat WC in the sectional and get another shot at CG.  What great program did Cathedral have to get by in order to get to Lucas Oil?  Whiteland ain't WC.  There is no comparison here.  Love the McCahill kid's game, but Donnie was on another level, and rightly given the Mr. Football position award this year. I hope that helps answer your question and their thought process.  Makes total to sense to most.

3 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I would say both had excellent seasons/careers, both were very deserving of the honor, and you couldn't go wrong with either choice. Picking one over the other is not a slight on the other. I wouldn't have been shocked with either choice.

2 hours ago, StatQueen said:

You're underestimating what Donnie McCaulley brought to the table for LN!!  No one is saying McCahill isn't great, they are just saying #1 from LN was the guy this year, and last year, and the year before that.  He was the reason, the catapult, that made LN legit.  His leadership and work ethic were awarded with NUMEROUS D-1 offers, and he elected to go down to Bloomington to continue his career.  His team wasn't as good as McCahill's, so he didn't beat WC in the sectional and get another shot at CG.  What great program did Cathedral have to get by in order to get to Lucas Oil?  Whiteland ain't WC.  There is no comparison here.  Love the McCahill kid's game, but Donnie was on another level, and rightly given the Mr. Football position award this year. I hope that helps answer your question and their thought process.  Makes total to sense to most.

Its the 2020, Mr. Football Award.  What was done prior to 2020 should be irrelevant in my opinion.  

While you're at it (playing the team strength award), did McCahill have a weapon target on his team as lethal/talented as Omar Cooper?  This argument works both ways.