Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral vs. Zionsville - 5A State Championship Saturday @ 7PM

9 minutes ago, BTF said:

Debating whether Zionsville or Dwenger is the second best team in 5a is asinine? I think it's a pretty good debate actually. Explain to me why it's asinine. Wait.............go watch the game first. I'll look for your response in a few hours. 

I wouldn’t say “asinine” but they did play head to head.  The Mooresville/Mt. Vernon example given above is more apt because they were eliminated by the current champ and the margin was closer than the title game.

Dwenger had its shot.

So a Dwenger debate pretty much ruins this thread. Too bad. 

Congrats to the Irish on a historic season. Only a historically great Center Grove squad spoiled perfection. Beating 3 of the 4 GCL Ohio teams (St. X is the big school state champion), riding roughshod over Westfield and Carmel, and winning the “big” rivalry game over Chatard. 

Congrats to the Eagles for being up to the challenge of playing when and where the IHSAA scheduled them and finding ways to win. And boy were they fun to watch last night! The HCC should be fun next season and Sectional 5 will be a bear.

56 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

So a Dwenger debate pretty much ruins this thread. Too bad. 

Congrats to the Irish on a historic season. Only a historically great Center Grove squad spoiled perfection. Beating 3 of the 4 GCL Ohio teams (St. X is the big school state champion), riding roughshod over Westfield and Carmel, and winning the “big” rivalry game over Chatard. 

Congrats to the Eagles for being up to the challenge of playing when and where the IHSAA scheduled them and finding ways to win. And boy were they fun to watch last night! The HCC should be fun next season and Sectional 5 will be a bear.

Does the HCC earn the moral victory card that you referenced might be forthcoming last week in the event that the games were respectable?

I mean, Westfield outscored CG in the second half and Zionsville more than head their own.

I kid...

38 minutes ago, temptation said:

Does the HCC earn the moral victory card that you referenced might be forthcoming last week in the event that the games were respectable?

I mean, Westfield outscored CG in the second half and Zionsville more than head their own.

I kid...

No but I think it cements the HCC as 2nd best.

14 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

No but I think it cements the HCC as 2nd best.

Agreed but just playing devil’s advocate for the sake of discussion.

Other than LN, Westfield (the HCC champ) played CG tougher/closer than any other MIC team.

Brownsburg (still my second best team in the HCC, sorry Zionsville) beat BD and lost to Carmel.

Avon beat BD.

Zionsville made the state finals.

The gap is not as wide as many think.

14 minutes ago, temptation said:

Agreed but just playing devil’s advocate for the sake of discussion.

Other than LN, Westfield (the HCC champ) played CG tougher/closer than any other MIC team.

Brownsburg (still my second best team in the HCC, sorry Zionsville) beat BD and lost to Carmel.

Avon beat BD.

Zionsville made the state finals.

The gap is not as wide as many think.

But the question is, do you think Avon or Brownsburg would have beaten Ben Davis in the tournament? I don’t.

Zionsville was able to get into an offensive rhythm that kept Cathedral guessing. Westfield  was never able to find that rhythm. Credit CG.

I wonder how next year’s schedules will change. Do Avon and Brownsburg remain on BD’s schedule? Is Lawrence North traveling to Avon?  Who will be Bburg’s other non-con opponent? Westfield/Cathedral? Do the rest of the HCC/MIC  contracts remain with the other schools? 

Head to Head MIC won 7 of 10 games. There’s still a pretty big gap. But it’s closing a little bit at a time.

5 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

But the question is, do you think Avon or Brownsburg would have beaten Ben Davis in the tournament? I don’t.

Zionsville was able to get into an offensive rhythm that kept Cathedral guessing. Westfield  was never able to find that rhythm. Credit CG.

I wonder how next year’s schedules will change. Do Avon and Brownsburg remain on BD’s schedule? Is Lawrence North traveling to Avon?  Who will be Bburg’s other non-con opponent? Westfield/Cathedral? Do the rest of the HCC/MIC  contracts remain with the other schools? 

Head to Head MIC won 7 of 10 games. There’s still a pretty big gap. But it’s closing a little bit at a time.

Brownsburg’s season was such a head scratcher to me.  Just don’t get it.

It was an outstanding season for the Irish!  I was lucky enough to attend 10 of the 14 games and for that I would like to thank a lot of people, some of those hang out around here.  I was also lucky enough to see those other games on tv or a live stream.

Zionsville was the best offensive team the Irish played this season.  They shredded a very good Irish defense.  They seemed to be able to find the open spaces and their QB was able to get the ball to those open receivers.  I was on edge until Gomez put that FG through he uprights.  They were scary good.  The Irish however were able to respond offensively in the second half.  I can see that it would be an entertaining game to watch for a neutral fan, but for most Irish fans it was a bit nerve wracking.

One of the reasons the Irish had a successful season was the number of turnovers this season.  Now I'm working from memory, but I believe the Irish lost only two fumbles all season and threw only five interceptions.  IMO, that's amazing considering the type of schedule they played this season.  They also beat two state champions, Cincinnati St. X and Bishop Chatard and came within 16.4 seconds of beting 6A champion Center Grove.  The also played another state finalist, Westfield, in the regular season.

I was also lucky enough to see the 1963 and 1996 Irish teams play and this one was right up there with these two.  It's interesting that the 3 were in different eras.  I would say that overall this Irish team may have the edge in strength of schedule.  It would be tough for me to pick one of these as the best of all times, but it's an honor for this group to be mentioned with those two great Irish teams.

I hope that this pandemic is past when next season comes around and I hope I'm still able to attend all the games.  At my age you just never know what the future will be, so I'm just going to enjoy being a fan, and an alum, of the 5A State Champs!

Never forget NUMBER TWO!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southend said:

Wow, they have won their last 12 state championship appearances .

Yes. According to Harrell the last State Championship loss for Cathedral was in 1991 losing to FW Dwenger 34-27. . I believe Coach Peebles brother Terry was QB for that Cathedral team.

2 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Yes. According to Harrell the last State Championship loss for Cathedral was in 1991 losing to FW Dwenger 34-27. . I believe Coach Peebles brother Terry was QB for that Cathedral team.

Heartbreaking and one of the better 3A finals games in history. After a see-saw battle and 4 lead changes, Cathedral had the ball with under 2 minutes to go and the score tied in our our territory. We ran a pretty good option on that team. On a QB keeper, Dwenger LB and future NFL vet Kevin Fabini had a perfect helmet hit on the ball knocking it 5 feet in the air into Dwenger LB Kevin Caretta (Notre Dame) hands for an fumble and score. One of the most heartwrenching losses in CHS history. 

These days Dwenger’s QB, Chris Dittoe (Indiana), has a son on the Cathedral team with a few other Cathedral graduates’ kids from that ‘91 classic. That was Dwenger’s 2nd title in as many years and Cathedral went on to start our run of state championships the following year in 1992 with a beat down of Northwestern. 

• Like 1

A big shout out needs to go to Coach Turnquist of Zionsville.  He is a very bright offensive mind.  The job he did in the playoffs was phenominal.  Zionsville returns most of its offensive starters for next year. It could potentially be a very interesting year for the Eagles.  Coach TQ has had the Eagles over achieving the last two years in the playoffs.  Last year they upset Brownsburg in 6a.  This year, he turned the Eagles into the 2nd best team in 5a.  Sorry Dwenger..... it's just a fact.  

There is a huge adantage to playing a 6a schedule all year and then dropping to 5a in th playoffs.  Westfield took advantage of that for years and Zionsville did this year.   Congrats to Coach TQ and the Eagles for a strong finish in 2020.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Coach P said:

A big shout out needs to go to Coach Turnquist of Zionsville.  He is a very bright offensive mind.  The job he did in the playoffs was phenominal.  Zionsville returns most of its offensive starters for next year. It could potentially be a very interesting year for the Eagles.  Coach TQ has had the Eagles over achieving the last two years in the playoffs.  Last year they upset Brownsburg in 6a.  This year, he turned the Eagles into the 2nd best team in 5a.  Sorry Dwenger..... it's just a fact.  

There is a huge adantage to playing a 6a schedule all year and then dropping to 5a in th playoffs.  Westfield took advantage of that for years and Zionsville did this year.   Congrats to Coach TQ and the Eagles for a strong finish in 2020.

They sure will miss that QB though. #6 had an outstanding state finals game. I was impressed. 

Side note, on the broadcast for the 6A game, the commentators mentioned Joey Siderewicz was an assistant coach for Zionsville. This is son of Center Grove assistant Joe Siderewicz and grandson of Hall of Famer Bill Siderewicz. Joey was the QB for CG in 2015 when the Trojans last went undefeated and won the state title. The Siderewicz family is continuing it's coaching tradition in Indiana.

On 11/29/2020 at 11:46 AM, temptation said:

The only thing I know you are right about is the fact that the semi-state game should have been played in Fort Wayne.

I have been seeing many mention that the Regional game (not Semi-State game) should have been played in Fort Wayne. I am assuming because people are deeming that Zionsville had a Bye in Sectionals. It actually was a forfeit not a bye and should be listed as a 2-0 Zionsville win and Zionsville was listed as the Away team while Dwenger won at home. By the brackets with Zionsville was Away and Dwenger at Home it slated the Regional as home for Zionsville. Big difference between a Bye and a Forfeit. 

21 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I have been seeing many mention that the Regional game (not Semi-State game) should have been played in Fort Wayne. I am assuming because people are deeming that Zionsville had a Bye in Sectionals. It actually was a forfeit not a bye and should be listed as a 2-0 Zionsville win and Zionsville was listed as the Away team while Dwenger won at home. By the brackets with Zionsville was Away and Dwenger at Home it slated the Regional as home for Zionsville. Big difference between a Bye and a Forfeit. 

Now do LCC/South Adams.

18 minutes ago, temptation said:

Now do LCC/South Adams.

LCC

Sectional Champ LCC Home team

Regional LCC Away team

South Adams

Sectional Champ South Adams Home

Regional South Adams Away

Semi-State = 

Classes 2A, 4A & 6A
*Regional non-host, if applicable, or lower sectional # (i.e., Sect. 1 is lower than Sect. 2)

Classes A, 3A & 5A
*Regional non-host, if applicable, or higher sectional # (i.e., Sect. 2 is higher than Sect. 1)

Both LCC and South Adams were Away for Regionals so both were non-host. LCC is in Sectional 42 and South Adams in Sectional 43 Sectional 43 is higher than Sectional 42.

Edited by FastpacedO

1 hour ago, IndplsCathedral_Dad said:

As with most everything that Cathedral does, it is a tradition.  They have been doing this since the 1970's.  

I have never noticed before. I thought it was funny. Looks like the kids did not enjoy it to be honest haha