Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A State Championship: Fort Wayne Bishop Luers vs. Western Boone Stars

2 hours ago, Huge Football Fan said:

It was a cutoff and clear foul

Agreed. There are 6 categories of DPI when we make that judgement. A cut off is one of them. When I saw it live I didn't there was much there. Then they showed the field level view from the end zone and it was the epitome of a cut off. That category applies when a defender is running down field with the receiver and contacts him in a way that pushes him away from the ball especially out of bounds. It's fair to argue judgement here if that's what happened, but that's what it looked like to me with the benefit of replay. As Bob has mentioned the official who made the call was in perfect position to make the call and because of that I trust his judgement.

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

So the rule must have changed.  If the receiver steps out of bounds he should be an ineligible receiver.

Rule hasn't changed in a long time. The only way this is illegal participation is if he is knocked out and doesn't come back in at his earliest convenience. He isn't able to do that because he's being ridden out of bounds as the ball is arriving. He would only commit IP here if he goes out on his own and doesn't return or is knocked out by the defender and then runs down the sideline on his own and comes in much later.

This crew is from central Indiana and works big games every week in the regular season. They work a heavy dose of MIC, HCC, Cathedral, and Chatard. The BJ worked a D2 national championship game a couple years ago and was available to work with this crew (his original HS crew) because his college season was postponed to Spring. They are an excellent crew and showed it today. They were in total control in a crazy game and made big calls when they needed. There were several crazy things from an officiating standpoint that happened in the last 3 minutes and they nailed all of them. Anybody complaining about the officiating in the game show they know every little about officiating quality.

And trust me...the people most critical about the officiating in the finals are usually other officials usually because they are jealous they aren't working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BTF said:

It looks "Indy area" to me looking at it on the map. Anyway, I thought it was a nice compliment. Just take it. 

I wasn’t good at academics and stuff but I’m smart enough to give a social studies lesson. Go to Nobelsville and head west on 32 until you hit the Montgomery county line. You’ll see exactly where metro ends and rural begins, I swear to God you will. 2nd and foremost I don’t think metro sexuals are allowed that far west in Boone county. STATE LAW! I gotta go. 

5 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

I wasn’t good at academics and stuff but I’m smart enough to give a social studies lesson. Go to Nobelsville and head west on 32 until you hit the Montgomery county line. You’ll see exactly where metro ends and rural begins, I swear to God you will. 2nd and foremost I don’t think metro sexuals are allowed that far west in Boone county. STATE LAW! I gotta go. 

I understand that there are more than a few cornfields that separate Indy from Thornstown. No different than Fort Wayne and Huntington. But that doesn't mean Western Boone isn't considered Indy Metro. I think it's fair for me to call Western Boone an "Indy area" team. 

9 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Agreed. There are 6 categories of DPI when we make that judgement. A cut off is one of them. When I saw it live I didn't there was much there. Then they showed the field level view from the end zone and it was the epitome of a cut off. That category applies when a defender is running down field with the receiver and contacts him in a way that pushes him away from the ball especially out of bounds. It's fair to argue judgement here if that's what happened, but that's what it looked like to me with the benefit of replay. As Bob has mentioned the official who made the call was in perfect position to make the call and because of that I trust his judgement.

Rule hasn't changed in a long time. The only way this is illegal participation is if he is knocked out and doesn't come back in at his earliest convenience. He isn't able to do that because he's being ridden out of bounds as the ball is arriving. He would only commit IP here if he goes out on his own and doesn't return or is knocked out by the defender and then runs down the sideline on his own and comes in much later.

This crew is from central Indiana and works big games every week in the regular season. They work a heavy dose of MIC, HCC, Cathedral, and Chatard. The BJ worked a D2 national championship game a couple years ago and was available to work with this crew (his original HS crew) because his college season was postponed to Spring. They are an excellent crew and showed it today. They were in total control in a crazy game and made big calls when they needed. There were several crazy things from an officiating standpoint that happened in the last 3 minutes and they nailed all of them. Anybody complaining about the officiating in the game show they know every little about officiating quality.

And trust me...the people most critical about the officiating in the finals are usually other officials usually because they are jealous they aren't working.

Central Indiana crew reffing a game in which a central Indiana team plays. Got it.

8 minutes ago, BTF said:

I understand that there are more than a few cornfields that separate Indy from Thornstown. No different than Fort Wayne and Huntington. But that doesn't mean Western Boone isn't considered Indy Metro. I think it's fair for me to call Western Boone an "Indy area" team. 

Road trip 😎

46 minutes ago, jakone said:

Central Indiana crew reffing a game in which a central Indiana team plays. Got it.

Not only that, I understand that the back judge on that crew and the head coach at WEBO both have brown eyes, and the umpire shops at the same Krogers as the mother of the kid who was interfered with!

The implication you are trying so ham-handedly to foster is silly. You're embarrassing yourself. 

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CoachHag said:

Bringin back the fullback!  That was a lot of carries by one player.  Anyone have a record for amount of carries in a state championship?Great game!

Most rushing attempts by a 2A player wa 32. Overall was 42 by Josh Smith of Attica in 2000. 

52 minutes ago, jakone said:

6 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The implication you are trying so ham-handedly to foster is silly. You're embarrassing yourself. 

2012 when Luers played, and won, the regional at Tipton the crew was from the Fort Wayne area.
As it turned out, the crew was excellent and did a fine job controlling what turned out to be a difficult situation at times.

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

Oh the irony. 

Three state championships in a row and a win over a PP ... like the PP part even matters.  Let's just call it what it is ... WeBo's done a great job of making things happen when they get to LOS regardless of who's on the other side of the 50 when the coin is flipped.  Congrats to the kids and their coaches and the school for not buying into the hype and just playing the game!

Yep.  Great job by some rural farming community kids who have 1/3 of their school on free/reduced lunch who grew up in their community and worker their asses off.

Built a culture that did not exist prior to their arrival.

Kudos Stars!

Edited by temptation

What I didn't get was gates were supposed to open at 10:30 they didn't open them up until 10:45 and game started at 11. I got in the lobby as national anthem was playing. I had family members not get in their seats with 7 minutes to go in the 1st quarter. RIDICULOUS WHEN WE ARE THE FIRST GAME AND HAD A WEEK TO PREPARE.

Just now, Jbk2 said:

What I didn't get was gates were supposed to open at 10:30 they didn't open them up until 10:45 and game started at 11. I got in the lobby as national anthem was playing. I had family members not get in their seats with 7 minutes to go in the 1st quarter. RIDICULOUS WHEN WE ARE THE FIRST GAME AND HAD A WEEK TO PREPARE.

Agreed, as they delayed the start of the next game.

1 minute ago, Jbk2 said:

My understanding is that it turned out they did not figure enough people to take temperatures as people were entering, compounded by the fact that some of the thermometers didn't work.

1 hour ago, jakone said:

One third of the crews in the state are in the Indy metro area. 75% of the teams are from Central Indiana. That's going to happen. Lots of schools in Indy metro and most crews have no more connection to them than they do a Fort Wayne or region school.

I had no idea the kicker from WeBo was Hunter Smith's son. 

That was one of the best games ive seen on tv (as far as hs goes)

Luers is gonna be so dang good next year. 

WeBo should be solid again. It'll be interesting to see how much their line bulks up.. Gonna need to be solid up front in 3A.